Pokémon Azumarill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mentioned Qwilfish before and its been doing pretty good at walling other Azumarills. Tentacruel is OK, but its defence is not as good and Qwil has both better Defence and Intimidate to soften the blows.
People might be using the wrong move against it, then:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill (Move 4) vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Qwilfish: 97 - 114.07%

(Move 4) is Play Rough, modeled as Poison for Qwilfish's resistances. Azumarill was also modeled as Water/Poison for STAB purposes. After SR, that's a guaranteed OHKO, and even without it, chances are pretty high.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
People might be using the wrong move against it, then:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill (Move 4) vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Qwilfish: 97 - 114.07%

(Move 4) is Play Rough, modeled as Poison for Qwilfish's resistances. Azumarill was also modeled as Water/Poison for STAB purposes. After SR, that's a guaranteed OHKO, and even without it, chances are pretty high.
You forgot Intimidate in that calc.

+5 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 204+ Def Qwilfish: 283-333 (84.73 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Play Rough is basically a Fairy-type Aqua Tail, both of which Qwilfish resist anyway so yeah.

Qwilfish should be switching into Azumarill, and if Azu goes for Belly Drum, Qwilfish can respond with STAB Poison Jab.

0 Atk Qwilfish Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 200-236 (49.5 - 58.41%) -- 62.11% chance to 2HKO
A few Attack EVs may be necessary to inch it to a OHKO after Belly Drum + Leftovers (though SR secures the KO), but Qwilfish can definitely respond to Azu appropriately. Azu has no chance if it does not Belly Drum on the switch.

Oh, and Qwilfish knows Haze. Yeah.

Isn't Gale Wings + Brave Bird or Acrobatics (With or without flying gem) more than sufficient to kill a 50% HP Azumaril? It isn't going to go first. I'm pretty sure CB Scizor outspeeds it when bullet punching even vs aqua jet - shouldn't that too be a OHKO? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

Play Rough is basically a Fairy-type Aqua Tail, both of which Qwilfish resist anyway so yeah.

Qwilfish should be switching into Azumarill, and if Azu goes for Belly Drum, Qwilfish can respond with STAB Poison Jab.

A few Attack EVs may be necessary to inch it to a OHKO after Belly Drum + Leftovers (though SR secures the KO), but Qwilfish can definitely respond to Azu appropriately. Azu has no chance if it does not Belly Drum on the switch.

Totally forgot about Intimidate. Still, at +5 Play Rough still has a 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, and Azu can Aqua Jet after that. Haze will destroy its momentum, though.

Isn't Gale Wings + Brave Bird or Acrobatics (With or without flying gem) more than sufficient to kill a 50% HP Azumaril? It isn't going to go first. I'm pretty sure CB Scizor outspeeds it when bullet punching even vs aqua jet - shouldn't that too be a OHKO? It doesn't seem like that big of a deal.
Gale Wings Acrobatics + Flying Gem might work. I'm considering a scenario where Azu will be at 75% here, and with just enough EVs to outspeed Scizor's Bullet Punch. Eh, that's the build I posted, anyways. ^_^'

That actually doesn't work. If Qwilfish switches in ON Belly Drum, Azumarill still gets its +6. Remember, Belly Drum is a +12 boosting move (it maximizes attack, even if it were at -6). So Qwilfish has to switch in on the revenge. Or the Aqua Jet, but I need to get going so I can't confirm if Aqua Jet brings Qwilfish into Play Rough KO range if both are at +5.

scratch that, qwillfish has haze, switching in on belly drum is safe for him.

Edit: it does move faster, 252 spe adamant azu has 199 speed, while 0 spe qwillfish has 206

Last edited:
Only if it moves faster than Azu.
Qwilfish's base 85 Speed vs. Azumarill's base 50 Speed. It only needs 52 EVs to outspeed ANY Azumarill, but in reality it doesn't need any because Azumarill will never be seen running Jolly

Azumarill 3HKOes Qwilfish (With a +6 Aqua Jet and two +0 Play Roughs) if it switches in the same turn Azumarill Belly Drums, so it doesn't have many problems doing its job... but it cannot resort to Haze if it switches in after Azumarill Belly Drums

Qwilfish's base 85 Speed vs. Azumarill's base 50 Speed. It only needs 52 EVs to outspeed ANY Azumarill, but in reality it doesn't need any because Azumarill will never be seen running Jolly

Azumarill 3HKOes Qwilfish (With a +6 Aqua Jet and two +0 Play Roughs) if it switches in the same turn Azumarill Belly Drums, so it doesn't have many problems doing its job... but it cannot resort to Haze if it switches in after Azumarill Belly Drums
True, but the regular Qwilfish doesn't run any Speed EVs, does it? I think Azumarill can prepare for that, though a specific counter can certainly be engineered (and seeing Azu's usage numbers, it's a given). But it's as I said before: BellyJet Azumarill is all about timing. It is a risky strategy, after all.

So Quilfish switches in on Belly Drum, Azu's at +6. Quilfish goes for the Haze. Azumarill predicts this and uses Aqua Jet. It does 43.11-50.89% before Quilfish erases that Belly Drum. So Haze Fish is pretty good against Azu all things considered

So Quilfish switches in on Belly Drum, Azu's at +6. Quilfish goes for the Haze. Azumarill predicts this and uses Aqua Jet. It does 43.11-50.89% before Quilfish erases that Belly Drum. So Haze Fish is pretty good against Azu all things considered
But it HAS to switch on the Belly Drum. Granted, it's not that difficult, and while it can be said about almost any other set-up sweeper, Azumarill must not get a completely free turn to Belly Drum because all its potential counters are turned into rather shaky checks (Two +5 Aqua Jets can deal about 80% to Qwilfish. Add SR and some residual damage and say goodbye)

If Qwilfish switches in the turn after Azumarill sets up (And supposing it uses Aqua Jet), it can only Poison Jab. If Azumarill has a Sitrus Berry, it needs SR and Attack investment to deal over 75%

Totally forgot about Intimidate. Still, at +5 Play Rough still has a 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, and Azu can Aqua Jet after that. Haze will destroy its momentum, though.
Qwil def. checks Azumarill since most of the Azumarills I've faced have Waterfall/Play Rough/Aqua Jet and Superpower, all of which Qwilfish resists. It doesn't resist Double Edge but I've never seen one with it yet. With Intimidate, Qwilfish for me is just to scare Azumarill and soften the blows for the rest of my team. THe super effective moves help but I use it mostly hinder its onslaught lol.

Has anyone considered Empoleon as a potential counter?
Just throwing it out there because of his typing.

Also, how about unaware Bibarel or Quagsire? Does unaware ignore huge power?

Also, it's a bitgimmicky, but Max speed invested Maractus with Storm drain can switch into a predicted aqua jet and hit back with either wood hammer on the physical side or petal dance on the special side.

And for that matter, ferrothorn resists all his stabs, though is probably too slow to deal with him. Iron barbs and rocket helmet can really hurt back, though

Would Bulldoze work for water/poisons or water/steels? The speed debacle becomes a non-issue if Qwilfish even survives it, but I'm not sure since it is only 60 power otherwise... and while that's the same as Double Edge only when it's SE, it's non recoil.

Has anyone considered Empoleon as a potential counter?
Just throwing it out there because of his typing.

Also, how about unaware Bibarel or Quagsire? Does unaware ignore huge power?

Also, it's a bitgimmicky, but Max speed invested Maractus with Storm drain can switch into a predicted aqua jet and hit back with either wood hammer on the physical side or petal dance on the special side.

And for that matter, ferrothorn resists all his stabs, though is probably too slow to deal with him. Iron barbs and rocket helmet can really hurt back, though
Unaware does not ignore Huge Power, because it does not involve stat stages

Empoleon and Ferrothorn work against the Choice Band set, but they have problems against +6 Azumarill, especially the former as it does not have STAB SE moves, and both are 2HKOed by Waterfall/Play Rough + Aqua Jet

While extremely niche, Maractus 2HKOes Belly Drum Azumarill with Wood Hammer, and it can even make its Sitrus Berry useless if SR is on the field. But it's still Maractus so it may be the only reason it could ever be used in UU/OU

Also Take into consideration the Possibility of a Sunny Day start, your stab will be reduced by quite alot. Such Sunny day starters such as Chari-Y allow for Solar-Beam, which in my opinions will leave you dead... Please can someone put up some stats of how Chari-Y Deals with this Bunny from hell.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega-Charizard Y in sun: 534-630 (148.33 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega-Charizard Y: 300-354 (83.33 - 98.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega-Charizard Y in sun: 266-314 (73.88 - 87.22%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even with Drought, 78/78 base physical defenses don't help. Meanwhile...

252 SpA Mega-Charizard Y SolarBeam vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 366-432 (98.38 - 116.12%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega-Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 344-408 (92.47 - 109.67%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Mega-Charizard Y Hidden Power Grass vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 214-254 (57.52 - 68.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Mega-Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill in sun: 206-243 (55.37 - 65.32%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Mega-Charizard Y's enormous 159 base Special Attack makes things interesting

Last edited:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega-Charizard Y in sun: 534-630 (148.33 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega-Charizard Y: 300-354 (83.33 - 98.33%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega-Charizard Y in sun: 266-314 (73.88 - 87.22%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Mega-Charizard Y SolarBeam vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 476-562 (127.95 - 151.07%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mega-Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 447-530 (120.16 - 142.47%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mega-Charizard Y Hidden Power Grass vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 278-330 (74.73 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mega-Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill in sun: 268-316 (72.04 - 84.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Basically, don't switch into it, ESPECIALLY with belly drum up. Now if you find yourself a free turn with charizard in and belly drum isn't active, that's another story.

Also, did you factor in fire's resistance to fairy with the play rough calc?

252 SpA Life Orb Mega-Charizard Y SolarBeam vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 476-562 (127.95 - 151.07%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mega-Charizard Y Air Slash vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 447-530 (120.16 - 142.47%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mega-Charizard Y Hidden Power Grass vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 278-330 (74.73 - 88.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Mega-Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 124 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill in sun: 268-316 (72.04 - 84.94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Don't you need the Charizardite to Get Chari-Y so no, life orb.

Can you also do some tests on Mega-Cross Bullet Seed on Azumarill.

Thank you though for conducting these tests. It means alot for someone to listen for once, and try to look up something. I Might write my guide Chari-Y as i see him fit as a very strong starter.

Thank you though for conducting these tests. It means alot for someone to listen for once, and try to look up something. I Might write my guide Chari-Y as i see him fit as a very strong starter.
For future reference, here's a link to a calc that's pretty easy to use:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

For now, fairy isn't there, so just mimic the types with something else that's SE or NVE.
Also, you can find the base stats for pokemon not listed on serebii or bulbapedia.

Forgot that :P

Still with SR the consequences are the exact same

The idea is switching in when Azumarill is still at +0. Unless your pokémon is physically frail, slower or weak to Water, Azumarill can easily be checked as it's forced to Aqua Jet, and at +6 it gets a lot of 2HKOes but hardly any OHKOes. All you need is a move that deals over 50% (75% if Azumarill carries a Sitrus Berry)

Forgot that :P

Still with SR the consequences are the exact same

The idea is switching in when Azumarill is still at +0. Unless your pokémon is physically frail, slower or weak to Water, Azumarill can easily be checked as it's forced to Aqua Jet, and at +6 it gets a lot of 2HKOes but hardly any OHKOes. All you need is a move that deals over 50% (75% if Azumarill carries a Sitrus Berry)
I think it would be better just running a Rain Dance Team, to deal with any other Water Debuffs, it provides this MOFO with alot of OHKO well at least in my experience, so politoed is always a sweet starter to switch from into the Bunny.

I think it would be better just running a Rain Dance Team, to deal with any other Water Debuffs, it provides this MOFO with alot of OHKO well at least in my experience, so politoed is always a sweet starter to switch from into the Bunny.
A dual screener like Klefki can also help it survive the initial set up.

Lead with politoad@damp rock->klefki@light clay dual screens-> belly drum + sitrus azumarill.
You could potentially reverse that order for more time with rain, though rain helps klefki too with its fire weakness.

+5 0 Atk Huge Power Azumarill Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 300-354 (89.82 - 105.98%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Spikes or Stealth Rocks

And that's without any attack investment or a boosting nature from Azu and Qwill at max damage. Double Edge does give the same results, but it has recoil and can't hurt Empoleon.

Granted, Emp does a bit better.

+6 0 Atk Huge Power Azumarill Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 310-366 (83.33 - 98.38%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Spikes

Both are assured KOs with 252 EVs.

Any Waterfall calcs for Ferrothorn are the same here, but with the advantage of not triggering his Iron Barbs. The Speed Drop is irrelevant.

Perhaps if it had more moveslots... still Fairy/Water/Ground has good coverage, as I don't think anything without Wonderguard resists all 3, though you'd have to give up Waterfall. As I think about it, it seems rather niche, but safer than the other two options as a non-contact with neither stat drops nor recoil.

+5 0 Atk Huge Power Azumarill Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Qwilfish: 300-354 (89.82 - 105.98%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Spikes or Stealth Rocks

And that's without any attack investment or a boosting nature from Azu and Qwill at max damage. Double Edge does give the same results, but it has recoil and can't hurt Empoleon.

Granted, Emp does a bit better.

+6 0 Atk Huge Power Azumarill Bulldoze vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Empoleon: 310-366 (83.33 - 98.38%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Spikes

Both are assured KOs with 252 EVs.

Any Waterfall calcs for Ferrothorn are the same here, but with the advantage of not triggering his Iron Barbs. The Speed Drop is irrelevant.

Perhaps if it had more moveslots... still Fairy/Water/Ground has good coverage, as I don't think anything without Wonderguard resists all 3, though you'd have to give up Waterfall. As I think about it, it seems rather niche, but safer than the other two options as a non-contact with neither stat drops nor recoil.
Speaking of wonderguard, shedinja could potentially force a switch, ruining bellydrum if no SR are up, lol.

Bulldoze could actually be a interesting alternative choice, as Azumarill could use it in a similar way to Breloom's Low Sweep in Gen V - it would let Azumarill Play Rough with much less worries about being outsped (Though still considerable due to Azumarill's low Speed). Perhaps when outside of rain, because Play Rough hits harder than Waterfall and has no immunities other than... Shedinja

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)