1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

B&W Research Thread

Discussion in 'BW Competitive Discussion' started by ΩDonut, Sep 21, 2010.

1. MB Espeon

MB Espeon

Ugh, skill swap chains.

Anyhow, just tested it with normalize skitty relayed to skill swap reuniclus relayed to a volcarona with will-o-wisp, against a wild drifblim in double grass. It burned drifblim, yes. And to be sure I did it right, I used bug buzz from the same volcarona on drifblim the turn after, where it gave the "It didn't affect Drifblim" message.

So yeah, will-o-wisp is akin to, say, hypnosis on dark types, where the typing of the move in itself makes no difference on what it can and cannot affect.
  2. RBG

RBG It feels like a perfect night to dress up like hipsters
    is a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Facebook Manager

If Keldeo learns Secret Sword in BW, and then is transferred to B2W2, will it change to resolution form or not?
  3. shrang

shrang Reaction to Ubers ladder
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Okay, there's something I want to ask about Ditto. When an Imposter Ditto transforms into a Pokemon with different formes that alter with items (ie Arceus and Giratina), does it transform into that forme as well, even when it doesn't carry the item it's supposed to carry? For example, if I switch Choice Scarf Imposter Ditto into an opponent's Rock Arceus, does Ditto transform into Rock Arceus even without Stone Plate, or does it transform into Normal Arceus? If I switch it into Giratina-O, does it transform into Giratina-O or Giratina-A, knowing that I do not carry Griseus Orb?
  4. Slashmolder

Slashmolder 'Ello Governor
    is a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcher

It works just like Transform. Read the Bulbapedia page on Transform to answer your questions.
  5. The Immortal

The Immortal Administrator of Showdown!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

I have tested in-game and found two moves that are incorrect.

1) Embargo is blocked by Subsitute
    2) Heal Block is blocked by Substitute
  6. Zog

Zog

Just encountered something seriously odd on Random Wifi, was wondering if anyone could think how this happened:

Battle video is 61-27878-07548, turn 8 I think

Choice scarf Chandelure Vs. rocky helmet Ferrothorn, Ferrothorn uses Shadow Claw, nothing happens, and it gives the "But it failed!" message. Shadow Claw works fine afterwards though.

The only thing I can come up with is, maybe Shadow Claw's bugged in some way like RBY's 1/252 misses or 1/65536 masterball failure. Either way it's weird, lol. But since it's not a common move and I've never seen this with any other moves, it's probably a specific bug.
  7. Marty D

Marty D Bug Catcher
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

This should answer your question: Transform and Imposter mechanics

The only explanation for Shadow Claw failing in that situation is that the player with Ferrothorn accidentally targeted its ally's position with Shadow Claw the first time. Since there was no target at the time, it fails.
  8. Zog

Zog

Yeah, I thought of that, but at the time it uses shadow claw there isn't actually another target. I'm pretty sure that trying to hit a non-existant partner doesn't work, too.
  9. Marty D

Marty D Bug Catcher
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

You are always allowed to select your partner's position, and any adjacent position really, with single-target attacks, even if there is no Pokemon at that position.

Go in a wild double battle with two Pokemon on hand and get one of your own Pokemon knocked out, then try to attack the empty space and see what happens.
  10. Death Phenomeno

Death Phenomeno I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Can anyone confirm if this still happens in the sequels?

Thanks in advance.
  11. Marty D

Marty D Bug Catcher

It does indeed still happen; both a Skarmory and a Jumpluff holding Iron Ball took neutral damage from Mud Shot when used on them.

On a somewhat related note, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread but the Sky Drop glitch still exists in B2W2, as well as Sheer Force boosted moves negating Life Orb recoil, among other things. I'd wager that Game Freak didn't fix/change any battle mechanics just to preserve Wi-Fi compatibility between the prequels and sequels. I wouldn't mind if I'm wrong about this though.
  12. Hozu

Hozu RNGenius

Did some testing regarding what is needed to rename Pokémon by the name rater in White. Here are my findings:

Only SID is different - no go
    Only game version is different - no go (this means all previous gen Pokémon cannot be renamed)
    Only OT gender is different - no go
    Wondercard Pokémon with the same OT and game version - yes
    Wondercard Pokémon with the same OT and different game version - no go

Edit: For Wondercard Pokémon that can be obtained on any 5th gen game the Pokémon uses the game version of the save it was obtained on. Meaning one can RNG for a TID/SID combo for an upcoming event that they plan on getting on their game card.
  13. Hozu

Hozu RNGenius

This has it slightly differently
    Subtle but important difference.
  14. UltiMario

UltiMario

So was it ever double checked if LO and Sheer Force work the same in BW2?
  15. The Immortal

The Immortal Administrator of Showdown!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

It does work the same, I have checked myself in addition to Marty-D.
  16. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

I have a few questions about Flash Fire, but I'm not sure if they've already been answered (I couldn't find anything on them, but I might've just missed it >.>)

I know Flash Fire boosts the power of Fire-type moves by 50%. Will being hit by multiple Fire-type attacks boost it further? More importantly, if yes, does it boost by 50% each time, or does it work similar to a stat boost, doing 1.5 for one, 2 for two, etc.? Is there a max (such as 6 for regular stats)?

Also, can Flash Fire boosts be Baton Passed?

If Imposter Ditto switches into something with a Flash Fire boost, does it obtain that boost the way it would obtain a normal stat boost?

If a Flash Fire Pokemon receives a Flash Fire boost, but then loses Flash Fire as its ability, does it lose the Flash Fire boost along with it?

I read that HP Electric doesn't boost Motordrive (iirc) because it's technically a Normal-type attack. Does HP Fire activate Flash Fire, and does a Flash Fire boost increase the power of HP Fire?
  17. Biosci

Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

Flash Fire boosts don't stack

No they can't

I'm unsure

If the ability goes, then the boost goes.

HP Fire does activiate Flash Fire(But I'm being told that HP Electric does activate Motordrive!).
  18. MB Espeon

MB Espeon

Front page covers and links to an instance where a type-based ability activates off of hidden power (in fact, it was the motor drive example.)

Seconding that yes, hidden power fire activates flash fire. Tested it on my Black version and everything. I also did the same with Sap Sipper (since I found a grass hidden power user) and that activated on hidden power grass as well.

Honestly, this post is more of an extra confirmation thing.
  19. poccil

poccil
    is a Researcher Alumnus

My description for Flash Fire:

"Whenever a Fire-type attack by another Pokémon targets bearer (even non-damaging ones, even if bearer is frozen, and even if the attack is otherwise ineffective against it), that attack is ineffective against bearer, and Attack and Special Attack for Fire-type attacks by bearer is multiplied by 1.5 (effect is not cumulative) until bearer isn't active or bearer doesn't have this Ability."

Accordingly:

1. The effect of Flash Fire is not cumulative: "Attack and Special Attack for Fire-type attacks by bearer is multiplied by 1.5 (effect is not cumulative)..."
    2. The effect is not a stat stage change, confusion, or the effect of a move, so it can't be passed with Baton Pass.
    3. Imposter's effect changes the Pokemon's Ability, so it has the same effect of Flash Fire: "When bearer becomes active, its ... Ability ... [becomes that] of the Pokémon it's facing ..."
    4. Yes: "Attack and Special Attack for Fire-type attacks by bearer is multiplied by 1.5 ... until ... bearer doesn't have this Ability."

Motor Drive affects types of attacks, rather than types of moves, so effects that change an attack's type to Electric, such as Hidden Power, are affected by Motor Drive: "Whenever an Electric-type attack ... by another Pokémon targets bearer [etc.]". (The type of the move Hidden Power is Normal, but the attack's type
    can vary.)
  20. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Because this wasn't listed in Justified's description, or on any highly-cited Pokémon resource (i.e. Veekun, Smogon, or Bulbapedia), I had to test to see if Justified activated if the Dark-type move hit a Substitute. (It doesn't.)

Also tested to see if Oblivious had received a secret boost like Mental Herb had, blocking Taunt\Disable\etc. Doesn't do that either.
  21. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

This just in: Storm Drain and Lightningrod do, in fact, redirect Hidden Power in 5th Gen, contrary to Smogon's description.
    <Marty> for those interested, here's Hidden Power Electric and Water being drawn by Lightningrod and Storm Drain, respectively: 92-08552-99074

User: V4 pointed out that Serene Grace doesn't seem to boost Secret Power's chance of effect. xfr just confirmed this.

<xfr> seems that secret power isn't boosted by serene grace after all
    <xfr> it has its own trigger at 21E11FC
    <xfr> which uses a hard coded rand(30)
    <xfr> that's a feature not a bug
  22. Dragonfree

Dragonfree

Smogon's description of Mist in B/W incorrectly states that it "Does not prevent stats from being lowered by the side-effects of attacking moves, such as Seed Flare." I just tested this on my Black, twice to be sure; both times, Icy Wind hit and dealt damage but did not lower Speed when Mist was in effect.

If anyone cares, I was using a Cryogonal and battling a wild Vanillite; it should not affect the results, since their abilities don't have anything to do with stat stages or effect chances.
  23. Cereza

Cereza Tastes Like Candy

I tested both scenarios and it looks like Dragonfree is right; Mist does prevent stats from being lowered by side-effects.
    same is true for Electroweb
  24. MB Espeon

MB Espeon

I know this is really minor but for the sake of thoroughness...

Air Balloon isn't popped when hit by the "bursting flame" side-damage from Flame Burst.

Found this out (on accident) on my Black card in the doubles subway, with Tyranitar as the balloon holder and Excadrill as the main target of flame burst. The balloon was still shown in the pokémon menu, and to be extra thorough Excadrill used an earthquake afterwards that "didn't affect" Tyranitar.
  25. UltiMario

UltiMario

I saw this scenario on PS happen earlier today, and it feels... wrong. Would someone test this in-game?

Porygon 2 switched in on Heatran. Got Flash Fire. Rotom-W switches into Porygon. It goes for the WoW, but Porygon used Magic Coat.

In PS, Porygon 2 simply absorbed the WoW with Flash Fire rather than reflecting it back at Rotom-W, can anyone confirm if this is how it works in-game as well?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)