1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

B&W Research Thread

Discussion in 'BW Competitive Discussion' started by ΩDonut, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Elliot Gale

Elliot Gale

This will require knowledge of how great the boost from the Elemental Jewels is, but...

During the turn Acrobat is used and the Flying Jewel is consumed, does Acrobat have 110 BP, or 55 BP?
  2. MINSC

MINSC

Acrobat

I tested. My hiyakki(water monkey) attacked Rhyperior in Black City, and I found 'Acrobat+Jewel' stronger than 'Acrobat+No item'.

I think Jewel's consumption is first, and Power-up Acrobat is second. Can you understand what I say?

1. pokemon X use Acrobat.
    2. X's Jewel Consumed.
    3. X have no Item. So, Acrobat's base power raise to 110.

BONUS : It is text when Juwel consumed. Can you read it?

(Type)ジュエルは (Move's name)の いリょくを つよめた.
    (Type)jewel raised (Move)'s power.
  3. mien

mien
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Amazing, can't believe you figured that all out in your sleep lol

Sorry that i'm a bit late on the results, i had a busy weekend and these tests usually take 2 hours.
    I replaced Larvitar by Grumpig(71.5kg) and Dusclops by Luxio(30.5), as i can't make them to have 216 def (same goes for Regirock)

Results list

Snorlax(460kg) 256 att Heavy Bomber against 436 def Regirock(230kg): 54-62-52-56-60 damage

Emboar(150kg) with 256 attack using Heavy bomber on all these pokemon having exact 216 def

Gastrodon(29.9kg): 54-57 damage
    Muk(30kg): 118-107 damage
    Luxio(30.5kg): 50-44 damage

Porygon(36.5kg): 93-90 damage
    Mightyena(37kg): 95-99 damage
    Togekiss(38kg): 74-71 damage

Hippopotas(49.5kg): 73-79 damage
    Darkrai(50.5kg): 53-53 damage

Grumpig(71.5kg): 60-52 damage
    Crobat(75kg): 56-61 damage
    Miltank(75.5kg): 37-34 damage
    Golduck(76.6kg): 18-20 damage

I think that these test results confirm your Formula for Heavy Bomber. Thanks for your help i wouldn't have been able to do this myself.

I've been wondering if Gamefreak used this formula for Electra Ball as well, seeing as serebii gave them both a similar description but with Speed instead of Weight.
    If this is true what would be the best way to test this?
  4. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

We'll test the simple case first, it being a reverse Gyro Ball (so its formula would be Base Power = 25 × (User's Current Speed / Target's Current Speed). I have an Electrode with Electra Ball, I'll update in a few minutes with some preliminary results.
  5. MINSC

MINSC

Oath

Grass + Fire Oath -> Opponents are damaged for 1/8 of their total HP at the end of the turn.
    Fire + Water Oath -> Speed of all opponents is reduced by 50%.
    Water + Grass Oath -> Doubles the chance of a move's side effect occurring. Does not stack with Serene Grace.

If two Oath moves form a combo, their power will double. Both moves will target the Pokemon that the slower Oath user is attacking, even if the faster Oath user chose a completely different target.

Still to test if different combos exist, what happens if two not on the list are chosen, whether they work in Singles or Rotation battles.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

First, I found Oath's mix not related to Oath's mixing order.

example)

faster pokemon - A
    Slower pokemon - B

A used Fire Oath and B used Grass Oath, and Combination move was Fire Oath.(Opponents are damaged for 1/8 of their total HP at the end of the turn.)

BUT, A used Fire Oath and B used Grass Oath in TRICK ROOM, Combination Move was SAME before Trick room. I think Combination's rule is based on type's relation.

Faster Slower

Fire + Grass -> Fire
    Grass + Fire -> Fire
    (Fire is stronger than Grass.)

Water + Fire -> Water
    Fire + Water -> Water
    (Water is stronger than Fire.)

Water + Grass -> Grass
    Grass + Water -> Grass
    (Grass is stronger than Water.)

Second, If you use combination move to Ally, field effect affect all allies.

For example, If you use Fire-Grass Combination to Allies, Sea of Fire hurts your and your teammate's pokemon. Yeah, It is TEAM-KILL.

Third, Oath's Combination can use Double and Triple Only. Single and Rotation cannot mix Oath.

Can you Understand what I say?
  6. ΩDonut

is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Yes, thank you!

Do you know where I can teach the moves to my Pokemon?

I will add your info to the first post.
  7. MINSC

MINSC

Oath's Tutor

AH, you want teaching Oath to yout pokemon, Right?
    Oath's Move Tutor is in the Hodomoe City, Fifth badge city.
    Thanks for understand what I say.

WARNING : STARTER POKEMON'S ONLY!! DON'T FORGET IT.
  8. ΩDonut

I talked to every person in that city, and none of them would teach moves to my starter Pokemon.

EDIT: Figured it out. He would teach Grass Oath to my Jaroda, but he wouldn't teach the moves to my Charizard, Venusaur, or Swampert for some reason.
  9. MINSC

MINSC

Urr....;;

Can't you find him? He is in the house where is at market's south-east direction. but if he don't teach move, show him your starter pokemon.
  10. Tytus

Tytus

Does this affect Flying types or Pokemon with Levitate? Since the effect is described as a moor it seems like the speed drop would be caused by feet getting tangled up in grass, something airborne Pokemon wouldn't have a problem with.
  11. megamonk4

megamonk4

It's in one of the Hodomoe City homes. The house towards the right of that Tent/Mart/whatever-you want to call it.
  12. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

I just tested for Acid Rain with The_Chaser, and it did not activate. I hosted the match, and my Tyranitar killed his Scizor on the switch with Pursuit, and only Sandstorm persisted. This is a changed game mechanic, it seems, for the best!!!
  13. Elliot Gale

Elliot Gale

Excellent.

I can't read much hiragana or kanji, unfortunately, so I miss out on these things.
  14. TheMaskedNitpicker

TheMaskedNitpicker Triple Threat
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Were your Charizard, Venusaur, and Swampert bred in Black/White, or were they transferred over?
  15. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

If the elemental hyperbeams are any indication, they need max happiness wouldn't they?
  16. Ryanide

Ryanide

Some things I want to know about Beat Up:

Does it take the teammate's hold items into account? If they're holding shell bell or life orb, will it boost damage/drain their HP when they attack? Does holding metronome increase only the initial user's attack each time you use the more, or all sucessive team mate hits after that? Is it still always counted as a dark type move? If so, will it activate Justice Heart each time it hits?
  17. Ditto

Ditto /me huggles
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Here a list of the "other" moves that are available to pokemon with Mischievous Heart.

Not Including DW Pokemon (open)
    Growth, Leech Seed, Cotton Spore, Tailwind, Stun Spore, Poisonpowder, Charm, Helping Hand, Cotton Guard, Sunny Day, Toxic, Taunt, Protect, Safeguard, Double Team, Rest, Attract, Flash, Swagger, Substitute, Encore, Tickle, Fake Tears, Grasswhistle, Memento, Switcheroo, Worry Seed, Light Screen, Trick Room, Agility, Tailwind, Rain Dance, Bulk Up, Embargo, Heal Block, Nasty Plot, Charge, Thunder Wave

DW Pokemon (open)
    Haze, Mean Look, Torment, Postpone, Calm Mind, Psych Up, Whirlwind, Mirror Move, Confuse Ray, Featherdance, Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Screech, Roost, Leer, Foresight, Detect, Claw Sharpen, Telekinesis, Will-o-wisp, Recover, Moonlight, Flatter, Trick, Captivate, Tail Glow, Baton Pass, Sweet Scent, Wish, Endure, Copycat, Roar, Swords Dance, Cheer Up, Mind Reader, Iron Defense, Follow Me, Growl, Assist, Sand-attack, Snatch, Yawn, Covet
  18. petrie911

petrie911

It was mentioned that Future Sight and Doom Desire are no longer typeless. Do they get STAB?
  19. Seriin

Seriin

Type Immunity is calculated when the move hits, at least for Future Sight. (Edit: Nothing is immune to steal.. why did I feel the need to specify Future Sight. 2am, thats why)

Baby-Loli vs my Emonga, she uses Future Sight. I switch to Zoroark, and use scary face until Future Sight activates. Zoroark was not affected by the move. Next time she used future sight, I switch back to Emonga and use non-damaging moves until it went off. This time, Emonga was hit by the attack.

Update: Ran into another one who enjoyed using Future Sight. She activated the move on Zoroark, so I switched to Victini and wasted time. Future Sight hit for NFE damage. Seems as if anything to do with resists/immunities are done when the move hits, not when it is activated. I don't have the ability to test when stab factors into it, or even when the specific stats are checked. Type on the defensive end, however, seems clear enough.

(Also, a minor addition to the OP note on Illusion- Poison damage, Burn Damage and self-damage from confusion do not break the Illusion. It looks as if it has to be direct damage at this point, but I haven't seen weather, recoil or LO yet. My apologies if this has been said or is otherwise not worthwhile)
  20. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

2 questions about Future Sight. Can it hit Shedinja? Which Pokemon's defense stat does it run off, the initial target or the one that gets hit?
  21. Brazeku

Brazeku

Since they seem to be making a lot of the more redundant moves a little more varied, I wonder about moonlight. Can someone test to see if it's still boosted under sunny day? Perhaps they have it boosted under another weather condition now.
  22. Ryanide

Ryanide

Another thing about Beat-up...

If Warubiaru uses it and the opponent is KOed by a teammate strike, does Warubiaru still get the boost from Overconfidence?
  23. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

Just did some more research with The_Chaser and answered these questions in the OP:
    Metronome did not increase the multi-hit's power per hit, only per turn. Tested this using Emboar's Arm Thrust against Rankurusu. The damage remained just about the same throughout an attack, with slight variations going up and down per hit.
    Occa Berry actually activated against Incinerate before it could be destroyed, successfully halving the damage of the attack. We tested this using Incinerate Heatran against Occa Berry Levitate Bronzong.

Someone earlier in this thread also asked if type damage-reducing berries now activated even if the holder was not weak against the specific type, so we tested that as well. My Emboar used Flamethrower against his Occa Berry Rankurusu and it did not activate. This means the type reducing berries still follow the same mechanic as the previous generation.
  24. flash_mc

flash_mc

I don't know if this have been said:

If a flying or levitating pokemon gets hit by Knock Down it loses its inmunity to ground attacks. This effects longs at least 1 turn (the turn your opponent uses knock down and the next turn at least). I can't clarify it more because the battle didn't last more D:

PS: I discovered the tailwind's lenght before the ones in the OP, but meh, it doesn't matter xD
  25. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu

The_Chaser and I did some more research on questions in the OP before calling it a night. Here were our results:
    We tested Mountain Storm 16 times, and it resulted in a critical hit 16 times. I'd say that's pretty conclusive.
    Tested Zoroa's Sucker Punch against Lickitung's Me First. We tested this twice -- once where Zoroa had a higher speed stat that Lickitung, and once when Zoroa had a lower speed stat. In both scenarios, Zoroa's Sucker Punch successfully hit Lickitung, and Lickitung's Me First failed.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)