1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

B&W Research Thread

Discussion in 'BW Competitive Discussion' started by ΩDonut, Sep 21, 2010.

1. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

I apologize for dragging this out longer, but I just want to confirm:

You mean that, basically, Feint is now Quick Attack with 10 less power, priority (which priority exactly? +2 ala extremespeed? this needs to be confirmed), that nice protect breaking side effect, and unconditional damage?

It's a great pity that the move has such godawful distribution and such a low power, if so. Lol looking though the list of learners, every pokemon has a priority move... xD

Might have potential use in doubles (do I protect against his fake out or do I attack against his feint?).
  2. Sixonesix

Sixonesix
    is a Past SPL Winner

Yeah, that. Also, Feint is definitely +2 priority.
  3. coyotte508

coyotte508
    is a Programmer Alumnus

Does Wide Guard protect from Perish Song, Clear Smog, Haze?

Is Haze still affected by pressure of all the pokemon of the fields in doubles ?

Is Perish Song affected by pressure from all the pokemon of the fields in doubles?
  4. mien

mien
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Assist Power still gets an increase in power after every stat boost when used against a pokemon with Unaware, Punishment also gets an increase in power when used by a pokemon with unaware against a pokemon who boosted it's stats.

Both are affected by all pokemon's Pressure except the user's Pressure. For example in a doubles battle with 4 pokemon having Pressure Perish Song will lose 4 PP instead of 5.
  5. Team Rocket Elite

Team Rocket Elite Data Integration Thought Entity
    is a Pokemon Researcher

As stated in my previous post, Wide Guard has no affect on Perish Song.

As for Haze, Clear Smog, I just went and tested it:

Level 36 Deskhan
    Level 25 Protoga
    Level 34 Dastodas

Deskhan uses Scary Face on Protoga once.
    Then Protoga uses Wide Guard against Deskhan's Haze. No Wide Guard message was given.
    Deskhan was able to use Scary Face 3 times on Protoga after Haze before being unable to drop stats.

I then switch out Deskhan for Dastodas.
    I use Double Team 6 times with Dastodas.
    Then Protoga uses Wide Guard while Dastodas uses Clear Smog.
    Clear Smog goes through Wide Guard, which is expected since it is a single target attack.
    A message is given saying that Protoga's Stat Changes were reset.
    The wild Choroneko then proceeds to use Scratch on Dastodas, which misses.

Thus, Wide Guard has no affect on any of the mentioned moves.

Clear Smog is a single target attack, and only cancels out the stat changes of the TARGET.
  6. TorchicBlaziken

TorchicBlaziken

If a Pokémon switches, and the foe switches too, which one switches first?
  7. R_N

R_N
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Does Feint's power change when used on a Protecting/Detecting/Whatever Pokemon?
  8. TorchicBlaziken

TorchicBlaziken

Also, what happens when Skill Swap is used on a Hihidaruma in Daruma Mode?

What happens when Healing Beam is used on a Hihidaruma without skill swap having been used, or with Skill swap having been used?
  9. Team Rocket Elite

is a Pokemon Researcher

It's based on speed of the Pokemon switching out. Faster switches out first.

An example with abilities thrown in:

Lv100 Doridia
    Lv83 Rankulus

I send out both Doridia and Rankulus in a double battle.
    I try to switch Doridia for Warubiru and Rankulus for Staraptor
    Doridia switches out first. Warubiru comes out and Intimidate activates.
    After the intimidate, Rankulus switches out for Staraptor. Staraptor's Intimidate activates.
  10. Zebstrika

Zebstrika

Edit: Does switching (and miracle shooter item use) have priority for a pokemon with mischievous heart, because it's not an attack?
  11. deluge

deluge

About Mummy, bulbapedia says:

Is the bolded part true?
    That would allow Desukaan to take the initiative in infecting others with Mummy as opposed to always waiting on the opponent to use a contact move on him.
    [His contact movepool is terrible BTW and they're mostly physical while his attack is lol-worthy which would explain why few people discovered this, if true]
  12. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

I think this implies a miss/fail ala cc or brick break

EDIT: Acutally does a miss or fail cause mummy to activate?
  13. deluge

deluge

They seem to be saying that Mummy is spread as long as contact is made regardless of whether Desukaan or the target was responsible.
    So if Desukaan used Payback on Scizor, it should lose Technician.
  14. Team Rocket Elite

is a Pokemon Researcher

If a Pokemon with Mummy use a contact move it does NOT pass on Mummy. The Pokemon with Mummy must be attacked by a contact move.
  15. MapleSandwich

MapleSandwich

I actually took the time to re-read the rapidly-growing OP, and I have a few nitpicks in case anyone cares to clean it up:
    • Beat Up is listed twice, once as tentative, and once as confirmed (with damage formula)
    • Feint's new property is listed twice, once clearly more descriptive than the other.
    • Life Gamble's description refers to itself as Life Gambit within the description, which may be confusing to some.
    • The description for Free Fall has a broken URL in it. Also, does the target get to attack with the attack it selected on turn one after it lands on the second turn, or does a faster Free Fall user completely screw over the opponent?
    • Does Make Friends work against Multitype?
    • Jitter is an ability that hasn't been listed here under the Dream World only abilities, but it boosts the Pokemon's speed by one stage when the Pokemon is hit by a Dark, Bug, or Ghost move. (Scary move types, I guess.)
    • Additionally, Heavy Metal isn't listed, only Light Metal. Heavy Metal simply has the opposite effect of doubling a Pokemon's weight. If you were to use Pumice Stone with this for some ridiculous reason, they do cancel each other out.
    • Unaware has never ignored speed boosts. The given example does not prove anything that was not already known. I would suggest testing it against a Pokemon with Sand Power, instead, to see if it negates that.

I don't claim this list to be all-inclusive by any means, but it's what I can come up with from my lurking and reading through the list over the last few weeks.
  16. Naxte

Naxte

Jitter's the same thing as Self-Conscious, which is listed in the OP.
  17. Blightbringer

Blightbringer The Butt Naked Wonder
    is a Past SPL Winner

Will Magic Mirror reflect Psycho Shift? Also, does Magic Mirror rebound the effects of stat-changing moves? E.g., Totodile uses Leer on Xatu; whose Defense will actually be lowered?
  18. LudwiG

LudwiG

A pokémon with encourage will break screens with brick break. Will it still raise in power?
  19. MapleSandwich

MapleSandwich

The screen-breaking effect is not a secondary effect that has a %-chance of happening, like Earth Power's SpDef drop. So, no.
  20. SupremeDirt

SupremeDirt

Reflects all stat-dropping moves that I've tested except Memento. Espeon's Attack and Special Attack were harshly lowered.
  21. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

Jitter/Self Concious: If beat up is used, does it boost speed to +6 (assuming 6 pokes)?

Multi Battles: does beat up still cause a teammate to target itself if beat up is used against it?

Beat Up: Does burn affect it? Tehcnician (it's mentionend in the desc. but I never saw this proved; sorry if this was proved)? Guts? Poison Rampage (in fact was this proved to be a gimped guts?)? Flower Gift? Huge Power/Pure Power? Hustle? Rivalry?
  22. mien

mien
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Yes the teammate still targets itself
    I have tested Guts and it boosted all beat up attacks by 1.5x power. It seems likely that the same counts for other power boosting abilities. Technician has always boosted every move below 60 BP as such i don't see how it would be an exception here(not to mention that Technician was confirmed to boost Beat up in generation IV).

I still have to test what happens when used against a pokemon with Justice Heart or Self Concious however.
  23. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Someone already posted that Beat Up activates Justice Heart for every hit; Beat Up Weavile + Rock Slide Terakion is apparently a popular strategy in Triples, judging from random Battle Recorder videos.
  24. Zebstrika

Zebstrika

This was a test, right? Because I can confirm this is not true on Pokemon Online.

Some sources disagree.
  25. ΩDonut

ΩDonut don't glaze me bro
    is a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon

Those sources obviously never tested it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)