B&W Research Thread

Discussion in 'Past-Gen Discussion' started by ΩDonut, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Zebstrika

Zebstrika

Ditto copies the catch rate and typing, so I think it was just a coincidence. I can't prove it, though.
  2. LudwiG

LudwiG

When using amulet coin. The pokémon holding the item does not have to be on the field as the opponent is defeated to gain the extra money. It does however need to be on the field at least once during the battle.

Regeneration does not heal if the pokémon is transfered in to the pokéball because all oponing pokémon fainted (winning the battle).

edit: I have not tried amulet coin with pay day. It is therefore not confirmed if the amulet coin boost will double the extra money even if the holder of amulet coin is NOT the same as the user of pay day.
  3. Syberia

Syberia

I don't know if this was known or not, but Hidden Power Electric no longer activates Motor Drive, by virtue of (I guess) technically being a Normal-type move that deals Electric-type damage. It didn't raise Electivire's speed when I hit it, and it actually did damage.
  4. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

What about volt absorb, flash fire, water absorb, storm drain, herbivore, uhh... justice heart?

etc.
  5. LeviLamprey

LeviLamprey

Justice Heart grants no immunity, so we can guarantee that HP Dark will do damage anyway...
  6. Guyperson

Guyperson

so if HP elec isn't stopped by motor drive/etc, by virtue of being normal type, does that mean ghost types are immune to all hidden power types?
  7. Onetwobanana

Onetwobanana

I think it's more testing whether or not a Justice Heart Pokemon will receive it's attack boost when hit by HP Dark.
  8. dbolt

dbolt

Attacked a Motor Drive Electivire with Hidden Power Electric and it received the speed boost. Syberia probably faced a Vital Spirit Electivire.
  9. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

for one: why were you guys using vire to test this? shoulda used zebaruika :P

for two:

Imagine the following situations:

A banette (PokeA, for my purposes) at 1 hp partnered with a mamanbou (PokeB, for my purposes) with healing beam are going against another banette that is not at full health (PokeC, for my purposes) and a bidoof which is not at full health(unimportant).

PokeC uses Shadow Sneak against PokeA, KOing it. Then, PokeB uses Healing Beam. does it fail, hit PokeC, or hit bidoof?

Basically what happens with healing beam when it has no target?

Oh and a smaller question:

What exactly does Embargo do in this generation? Does it prevent held item use on a pokemon or only held item activation (I.E. Expert Belt vs. Salac Berry)?
  10. black_cotton

black_cotton

I tested this as well, used a HP Electric Ulgamoth against two wild Zeburaika and it activate the two abilities. So seconding user 'dbolt" Syberia probably faced a vital spirit Electivire or something poor hacked if it was on wi-fi battles.
  11. badabing

badabing hevy hangs da hood,,

A frozen pokemon that uses Boiling Water can thaw itself out. Has anyone else ran into this? Didn't see it in the analysis or the OP so I thought it was worth mentioning. Peace

edit: @Jibaku my bad
  12. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Boiling Water = Boil Over, unless you're trying to say something else.
  13. badabing

badabing hevy hangs da hood,,

Alright since that has been established, got anything on the actual subject of the post? Can Boiling Water thaw out a frozen pokemon when it tries to use the move? Thanks, sorry for the confusion.
  14. lucariojr

lucariojr all that glitters is not golduck
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I'd like the Oath moves to be tested.

1. Do they have to be in order? Like, does Fire have to come before Water to make a rainbow, or can they just be used in any combination?

2. How long do the effects last?

3. Are there any exceptions to what moves the rainbow boosts effect accuracy?

My save file died the other day, so I cant test this myself. :C
  15. DeagleBeagle

DeagleBeagle

How much does A capella raise in power for each additional pokemon on your team that has it? Maybe someone could research that.
  16. Niched

Niched

If a pokemon uses boiling water while frozen, it automatically thaws out before using the move.
  17. mien

mien
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Found all of this in the game-data (originally meant for the status mechanics article but might as well post it here).
    The fellowing moves have a self-unthawing effect: Boiling Water/Boil Over, Cross Flame, Flamewheel, Flare Blitz, Sacred Fire
  18. Death Phenomeno

Death Phenomeno I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Was it ever figured out why does Frozen World's effect is different from the one Icy Wind has according to the data, even though both moves supposedly do the exact same thing?
  19. Chameleon

Chameleon

Given that explosion was nerfed, can anybody confirm if explosion is still reduced the same in doubles/triples? It's plausible that the effect may have been changed to compensate, because then explosion would be a relatively useless 62.5 base power Normal move.
  20. Zebstrika

Zebstrika

The rainbow doubles the chance of a secondary effect occuring (does not boost accuracy as far as I know), so anything that has a programmed chance of a secondary effect has double that chance with your rainbow on the field. It's the same as giving all of your pokemon serene grace. Everything boosted by encourage gets the chance doubled (except for all of the pokemon with encourage, obviously).

Explosion is still 250 base power, it just loses the effect of halving the opponent's defense. In doubles/triples, when it's hitting more than one pokemon, the damage is multiplied by 3/4, not 1/4.
  21. Chameleon

Chameleon

Ok, that makes much more sense! It still seems compeitively viable, even with the defense-halving nerf still in effect. Sorry if this should have gone in the Q&A thread.
  22. imapedarsag

imapedarsag

Do the elemental jewels ignore stat boosts? I think this needs to be researched as on PO, it does. If it already has been researched, then can someone please tell me if it does ignore stat boosts or not.

Here's how I know it does on PO. I used Terakion+Erufuun Beat up with a life orb and with a rock jewel. Against the same foe, Rock Slide did less damage with the rock jewel +4 atk than the life orb +4 atk. It did about 33% or something vs. Burungeru with the jewel whereas it did about 60 some % with the LO.
  23. DeagleBeagle

DeagleBeagle

Frozen world I thought lowered the foe's speed harshly, not just one stage. So it should be different than icy wind, that is the whole point of using it.
  24. Zebstrika

Zebstrika

Death Phenomeno, nothing to show why Frozen World has a different effect than Icy Wind in the coding has been shown.
    Edit: Ahh, more proof.
    Thanks, MeroMero again, as he showed more evidence against the chance of freezing.

Charmeleon, I hope you mean Explosion is still viable without the halving in effect, as you said it's still viable with the halving in effect.
  25. breh

breh
    is a Smogon IRC AOP

iirc it gets power from the other signature moves or something like that

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)