B2W2 - The Beginning Cup - A hint of things to come?

I think the best plan would be to have a team that works well against weather or plays well in weather without relying on a Cloud Nine pokemon. However, if you run those Ciniccio calcs, I suppose I wouldn't rule it out as a potential threat, despite being dispatched by so many fighting types in the tier.

Altaria can resist Fire and Grass Moves, so it's going to be a big help against Sun Teams, just that you will have to be aware of Gliscor with Rock Slide or Conkeldurr with the possible Ice Punch (which could also be Rock Slide), Altaria should somewhat do better in a Sand Storm, just give it a Charti Berry to help it take Rock Moves better while something like Conkeldurr can either kill Excadrill or just bring it down to it's Sash and kill non-Chople Berry T-Tar with Drain Punch, kill Landorus with Ice Punch.

At the end of the day, Altaria will need help to handle Sand, but will be really effective in the Sun.

Altaria:
Item: Charti Berry
Nature: Bold/Impish/Relaxed (Relaxed for Trickroom)
Ability: Cloud Nine
EV's: 252 HP, 96 Def, 160 Sp. Def
Moves:
Dragon Pulse/Draco Meteor/Dragon Claw
Heat Wave/Pluck
Dragon Dance/Tailwind/Safeguard
Protect/Substitute

This Set will let Altaria take 2 Hits of Rock Slide from Adamant Tyranitar, did some calcs on this, Dragon Pulse/Claw and Draco Meteor are there for stab, if you plan to run a Physical Set, run Dragon Claw, if your running a special set, you can choose either Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor, Draco Meteor lacks some Accuacy, but has more power than Dragon Pulse.

Heat Wave can deal some damage to those that resist Dragon, Pluck can let Altaria take advantage of the opponent's held berry.

Dragon Dance raised Altaria's Attack and Speed by 1 stage, Tailwind can help your team outspeed faster Pokemon, Safeguard can prevent Burns, Poison, Paralysis, Confusion, Sleep, etc.

Protect to scout what your opponent will do, Substitute to take advantage of Altaria's Resistances. Be careful of Ice Types Attacks, so watch out for the likes of Metagross, Conkeldurr and Mamoswine, if somebody can test this out and tell me how it is, that will be great! :D

Leavanny, Liligant, and Sawsbuck will be the most common sun sweepers. For trick room/ sun solar power choice specs sunflora hits very hard. Also sandstorm trickroom could use sand force gigalith if he is released or gets released. Another note is sunflora is in the sun with choice specs he reaches a staggering 387 special attack. A viable set would be the following.
Sunflora @ Choice Specs
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Solar Power
EV's: 252 HP 252 Sp. Atk 4 Def
Moves:
Hidden Power Fire/Ice
Solarbeam/ Giga Drain
Earth Power
Sludge Bomb

If you run HP fire you get The sun boost making it essentially a base 105 fire type move, however you become walled stone cold by gliscor and Landorus-T. So that's why HP ice is also acceptable. Earth Power is for coverage purposes. Sludge Bomb is next to useless its only as a filler.

Slaking(TR)
Actually, Slaking has 100 base speed. No way is it going Trick Room-y.
Not that it matters, since Gastro Acid/Skill Swap/Mummy tactics tend to go very wrong very easily.
Don't suppose anything has been confirmed about Beginning Cup being held for the Western versions? I guess it was a few months until it happened for Japan anyway, but whatever.
Personally I hope VGC13 is by these rules, just for a bit of change.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Actually, Slaking has 100 base speed. No way is it going Trick Room-y.
Not that it matters, since Gastro Acid/Skill Swap/Mummy tactics tend to go very wrong very easily.
Don't suppose anything has been confirmed about Beginning Cup being held for the Western versions? I guess it was a few months until it happened for Japan anyway, but whatever.
Personally I hope VGC13 is by these rules, just for a bit of change.
Fall regionals are confirmed to be the same rules as last year, no word yet on the rest.

I'm kind of familiar with the meta now after playing the All Star Cup, and Sand wasn't as prelevant as I expected it to be. It was sort of "there", but I guess people were too busy abusing the Tao Trio to take notice. A threat to watch for is definitely No Guard Golurk, which is an absolute monster with the paralysis support from Thundurus-I.

Anyway, I'm thinking of simply using a modified version of my old Sun team if this tourney actually comes to the western versions of BW2 (it should). Scrafty instead of Hitmontop, Liligant instead of Venusaur etc. Should be fun.

No Guard Golurk would certainly be an interesting threat in this metagame... especially without the rain, despite it being a bit soft defensively.

I am surprised you didn't see much sand, I expected sand and sun to be extremely prevalent here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)