1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Badge Questionables (ugh I hate doing this)

Discussion in 'Moderator Discussion' started by Surgo, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

First of all, I'd like to say that I love these guys as much as everyone so please don't shoot me. That said, I can't really remember the following users doing stuff for these badges. Please remind me what they did. THIS LIST IS NOT A BADGE REMOVAL LIST, IT'S JUST AN ATTEMPT FOR ME TO GET AN IDEA OF WHAT'S GOING ON IN THE FORUMS AND THE SITE BECAUSE I HAVE ONLY BEEN HERE FOR A YEAR.

Artists:
    * Toy

Contributors:
    * Bugsy23
    * Fig
    * zfs

Programmers:
    * jshadias
    * MasamuneXGP (nb I know)

Researchers:
    * Amazing Ampharos
    * Arcturus
    * Atlas
    * Hazerider
    * Kholdstaire
    * Pidgeot500
  2. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Double posting heh...

Now talking about badge removals, Justin had the idea of just removing most badge lists from the forum leaders list. Seems like a fine compromise to me, no one should have to lose their badges.
  3. Justin8649

Justin8649
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

alright we were talking over IRC and here was something most of us agreed on:

We should just remove the badge listings from "View Forum Leaders" and only leave like Mods and Ops there. It is just an ugly clusterfuck.

Also here are badges that I consider loseable: Team Rater, Site Staff, Tutor, Tournament Director

(Jshadias and MasamuneXGP have no reason to have the programmer badge so that is also "loseable".)

And in all honesty, I think the Site Staff badges should just be purged at this point and then given out based on who deserves to have it. Yep. That is what I think!
  4. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

As much as I loathe Toy and I hate his art, other people seem to like it. Therefore he has the artist badge. :I: think he's a complete fuckwhad and should be banned when he makes one more terrible post.

zfs wrote a bunch of old Advance and maybe a couple of GSC analyses that were rewritten later because they had tons of shit in it. I'm talking Special attacking Flygon, Sunnybeam Porygon2, Recycling Porygon2 etc as seperate sets.

Fig probably is a Contributor because he hosted the server (or the RPG server, not sure which) at one point.

If Programmer is reserved for working on the Smogon site itself or on Competitor, Masamune and jshadias have no reason to have it. jshadias used to do a ton of scripting on NetBattle...but by that logic Shiv should have a Programmer badge as well.

Atlas did quite a bit of testing for Obi's Advance in-game verification thread iirc.

Hazerider spent quite some hours gathering Pokedex data for the Advance dex for chaos.

Amazing Ampharos was one of the first to find out which old Pokemon got new moves in D/P and posted a list first.

I think that's about it and I don't remember the rest.
  5. Hazerider

Hazerider

All gens, actually.
    If anything (and I agree with what Surgo said no personal vendettas against him or anything) I'd like to know why Dan Dan has the artist badge. He only posted two or three drawings.
  6. DM

DM Ce soir, on va danser.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

Toy shouldn't have the Artist badge. His artwork is great, but I was under the impression that Artist badges were given to people whose art we might/were going to use somewhere on the website. Toy was given the Artist badge very hastily, and I think it should be removed promptly.

If we're going to give Artist badges for non-pokemon art, than Zracknel is WAYYY more deserving of it anyways.
  7. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

i'm thinking about removing the artist badge anyway. the badges usually correspond to how they help smogon and aragornbird is the only person who draws for the site.
  8. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

As an alternative to that, just remove the badge from everyone but ab and when you need stuff drawn try and make it be a bit more competitive... you could post requests in the art forum and then people could make attempts at it, and those people who make something that is actually used on the site could get the badge, rather than just people who happen to make a decent 'look at me I draw with colors' topic.
  9. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I went ahead and updated the "Forum Leaders" page. You can see it here. It now only shows Mods, Super Mods, Admins, NB Mods, NB Admins, #smogon AOps, and #smogon SOps.
  10. Misty

Misty oh
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I removed NB Mods and NB Admins from the Forum Leaders list - thanks to a combination of ET's shit and us divorcing NB, I don't feel it's relevant except as a reference for when we set up Competitor's power structure.
  11. Misty

Misty oh

Badges part 3: Aeolus and I decided to strip all the NB Mod and NB Admin badges, since, as chaos so eloquently put it, "nb is dead, no questions asked". The groups are still around and will be converted to their Competitor equivalents later. Aeolus kept a list of all the mods and admins so we can refer to it later if we need a place to start with distributing Competitor access. Also, anyone left without a badge will be given a Ladybug badge in exchange.
  12. Aeolus

Aeolus Bag
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Yeah, we were talking about it... and the display of the nb badges seemed to maintain the idea that we were affiliated with ET's NB server... which I recently learned that we aren't! So, yeah, they are gone... each individual badge has been taken off. The Usergroups were maintained however for easy implementation with the release of Competitor.

For Reference:

Admins:
    Aeolus
    Articuno64
    chaos
    cloud
    CrazyStarwolf
    Hazerider
    Jumpman16
    Justin8649
    skarm
    Vineon

Mods:
    Acura
    Carl
    Eagle
    Fish
    Groudon80
    Havoc
    Hipno
    Holyknight
    Jackal
    Kongler
    Lesm46
    Lexay
    Loki
    Mekkah
    omni
    Roy
    Shiv
    Steelicks
    Warthog

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)