Balanced BW2 UU Offensive

~ Hello, and welcome to Lameflame's BW2 UU Rate My Team! ~

Housekeeping: I realize this may be inopportune timing with the recent unveiling of XY UU, but that's neither here nor there, and I'm hoping to get as much feedback as possible (so do share your thoughts, comments and suggestions, uncensored).

Team Background: So I used to run a very squishy team with 4 scarfers, a Weavile, and an exploding Qwilfish. Hence, very squishy, and almost 100% reliant on good prediction to win battles (did surprisingly well though). Eventually I figured I'd be much better off predicting well with less-squishy 'mons -- however, I'm a very offensively-minded player, so I wanted to preserve as much offense as possible with keeping some good defensive balance. Pokemon is way more fun for me when you have to predict your way to victory as opposed to stalling for 150+ turns (nothing against stall, it's totally viable -- just doesn't do it for me).

What I Need from this RMT: I need help identifying any potentially major threats to my team that I haven't already identified. I know others have produced RMTs with extensive threat lists, and while I would love to do this (and may in the near future), what I really need is an answer to the 'mons that outright give my team major trouble. So far, these consist of (to my knowledge):

Click the Button to view the Threat List.

• Bulky Stall Cofagrigus: This is threat #1 to my team, or it seems like it. Without Shaymin's Seed Flare Sp. Def drops, or crit Outrages, or just an overall bad usage of Cofagrigus, I can't stop this thing. WoW cripples everyone but Victini, and Victini isn't going to want to take a Shadow Ball, even if unboosted. Plus, most people don't leave Cofagrigus in on Victini anyway (obviously), so it's not like this 1v1 ever happens. I really need a way to stop this.

• Umbreon: Urg. I had the exact same problem with this as I did with Cofagrigus, and I ended up adding Megahorn on Rhyperior, switching Snorlax for Umbreon, and Superpower over Fire Punch on Flygon just to deal with this. I'm not running a fighting type and there are no fairies to be seen in Unova, so yeah, Umbreon isn't fun.

• Sub SD Heracross: So uh, I didn't get the memo that SD Heracross was back, but it's definitely back. At least, I used to see ScarfMoxieCross everywhere almost every battle, but lately I've seen a lot of SD Heracross sets, or Guts (it's really the same "threat"), and it plows through my team. Yes, I have Victini, but if I lose Victini, I'm pretty screwed, and Victini isn't the easiest to send in and out of battle. Nobody is going to leave Heracross in on Victini, so I'm just racking up potential stealth rock damage doing so. Flygon is usually my better option to deal with this thing, but not really, since I have to go Outrage to kill it ... leaving me susceptible to whatever other shenanigans the opponent has in store for me while I'm locked into it.

• MoxieCross: Same idea as SD Heracross, kinda. This one is a bit more manageable for me, but still hits hard. Although Heracross just hits hard in general, so maybe this isn't a threat necessarily. Maybe.

• Life Orb Honchkrow: Annoying. I've been 6-0'd by Honchkrows before, and it's really not 100% my fault (well, technically.. shhh). Victini gets trapped by Honchkrow because if I attack, I'm OHKO'd by Sucker Punch. I can't leave either, since they usually run Pursuit (or maybe Roost instead, but there's the fear of Pursuit, which forces me to guess and attack anyway). He can Superpower my Rhyperior (which does around half at +0) and Umbreon, Brave Bird my Shaymin, Sucker Punch my Victini, Flygon, Slowbro, and .. yeah, that's all 6 pokemon.

• SD Weavile: The frailty of Weavile helps me here, but sometimes it's too late. Ice Shard OHKO's Flygon, as it's 4x weak to it with poor defense. The Ice/Dark/Fighting combo is fast enough and strong enough as coverage to burn through my team late-game. I don't have nearly the same issue with it as I do with Cofagrigus and the other threats, but yeah, it can be troublesome if played right.

• Scarf Mienshao: HJK, Aerial Ace, Stone Edge, U-turn. I do run Max Def Rhyperior, but that's really not a great "check" to Mienshao (lol, Rhyperior checking Mienshao). Aerial Ace hurts Shaymin quite a lot, although it's almost irrelevant because U-turn isn't appreciated on my life-orb set which constantly needs to recover from its own attacks. Stone Edge can destroy Victini, and ScarfShao is faster than the whole team (tier, really), so Flygon can't take a HJK either. I have to play Slowbro right, or else it's curtains for my team.

• DD Kingdra: Rhyperior can't really threaten this thing, although its attacks hurt it somewhat. I can definitely take a Waterfall or maybe two unboosted, but the point is that this thing sets up on me and goes from DD to GG, if you follow. Shaymin is usually somewhat of an answer depending on the number of boosts, except not really, since I can only really break his sub or maybe hit him for around 45% with Seed Flare before he rampages through me with Outrage. The Special set is also troublesome for Shaymin, as even though he's not Dragon Dancing, he's still twice (literally) as fast and strong with Rain Dance, taking Ice Beams and/or Hydro Pumps. Flygon can't touch this at +2, and at +1 it's a speed tie normally. Victini also can't touch it, and Slowbro much prefers the Physical set over the Special set .. except he can just use Slowbro as setup-fodder (although he does risk a Scald burn, so perhaps not).

Additionally, I have a few other recommendations and sets that I was running on this team, but decided to swap out. I'll post those at the bottom and if anyone thinks they are actually better, equally or more viable sets, I'll consider swapping them back in.

***The Team***

Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Megahorn

EVs: Everyone knows Rhyperior is a physical behemoth, but struggles with Sp. Def. Most people remedy this problem by using heavy or maximum Sp. Def investment. I used to run a different set (listed below), but the way I play, it honestly never makes a difference how much Sp. Def I add into Rhyperior because it's not his job, imo, and he shouldn't be taking special hits. His job is to take physical moves well and set up Stealth Rocks, and my philosophy is that you're better off bettering your strengths than patching up your weaknesses (to an extent obviously, but like I said, offensive player). I mentioned that Honchkrow is an issue for my team, and it is, but before it gets any moxie boosts it wouldn't dare go for a Superpower without facing a certain OHKO to Rock Blast. Victini's V-Create is the most powerful move in the tier, and if you don't pack something that can resist it on your BW2 UU team, well, select a different tier. I included the two Heracross calcs to show how much those moves are actually doing if he's locked into them instead of Close Combat, as Megahorn does some relatively good damage against me even with max def investment. I included the Mienshao HJK calc because on my Protect set, if it came down to having to switch in Rhyperior on Mienshao late game, I could take one before he crashes on the second one.

Sp. Def is obviously a problem, but honestly, I find it to be pretty irrelevant anyway. I figure if it comes down to my Rhyperior needing to take a special move for me to win, I probably already lost, or deserve to lose.

Moves: Stealth Rock is there because Rhyperior is the best and only candidate on my team to set them up, and obviously the move itself doesn't need any justification. Earthquake is self-explanatory as well: powerful stab move, pretty standard. I much prefer Rock Blast over Stone Edge because nothing sucks more than having to rely on the shoddy accuracy of Stone Edge when another poke is behind a sub. It's also useful to have a sub-breaker when I play against Baton Pass (my team really, really doesn't like Baton Pass). Lastly, I originally ran Protect for the last move, but I switched it to Megahorn. My strength is in prediction, and it was frustrating to know that the Shaymin/Slowbro/Umbreon was coming, but also knowing I couldn't damage it. The calcs below illustrate the magnitude of the dent that Megahorn puts into the aforementioned switch-ins that are expecting an Earthquake/Rock Blast/Stealth Rock (slowbro only takes around 50% and can heal it off after, but it's better than the alternative).

Calcs:

252+ Atk Victini V-create vs. 156 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 80-95 (19.5 - 23.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Heracross Earthquake vs. 156 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 105-124 (25.6 - 30.2%) -- 0.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Heracross Megahorn vs. 156 HP / 252+ Def Rhyperior: 126-148 (30.7 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Life Orb Honchkrow Superpower vs. 156 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 164-193 (40 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 156 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 242-287 (59 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

100 Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin: 248-294 (72.7 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

100 Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 170-200 (43.1 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

100 Atk Rhyperior Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Umbreon: 230-272 (58.3 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Slowbro (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

EVs: Somewhat standard EV spread, except as you might have noticed with the Rhyperior set, I often trade a little HP (debatable if it's "little") for a little Atk or Sp. Atk. This extra Sp. Atk, as noted by the calcs, lets me OHKO any Life Orb or Specs Roserade who almost always comes in on Slowbro expecting to take a Scald and Leaf Storm / Giga Drain / set up Spikes in return. Otherwise, everyone knows what Slowbro does, so I'm not going to go too in-depth with it, I'll let the calcs do the talking. He resists fighting like a champ, notably Heracross' Close Combat and Mienshao's High Jump Kick.

Moves: Scald is the obvious choice for the 30% burn chance, and because the added power of Surf or Hydro Pump wouldn't really make sense based on my EVs. It also hits a little harder than most Slowbro scalds due to the added Sp. Atk from my EV spread. Psyshock, again, cripples Roserade and does good damage against essentially everything that doesn't resist it, although I'm open to hearing argument for Psychic (I'm pretty sure Psyshock is the better move though). I prefer the Calm Mind/Slack off combo, but honestly, the number of times I really get to set-up Calm Mind isn't many. It's only been helpful when I've absolutely had to rely on Slowbro to sweep through the rest of someone's team, or to get a little extra punch on my attacks, but it doesn't boost my survivability as Chandelure/Roserade-Leaf Storm/Seed Flare/etc. are still going to do a ton to me regardless. Maybe Thunder Wave, or the surprise Fire Blast? Just a thought.

Calcs:

252+ Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 136 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 71-84 (19.4 - 23%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

120 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 276-326 (105.3 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

4 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 246-290 (93.8 - 110.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

EVs: Standard Adamant Scarf Flygon set. He needs to be Adamant, because while base 100 Atk is good, it's not amazing. There's really no reason to run Jolly, or any other set IMO.

Moves: I absolutely love the dual-stab, sweeping potential of Flygon. Seriously, the number of "houdini's" I've pulled to weasel my way out of games that I truthfully nearly lost is through the roof because of this thing. Earthquake eliminates so many good UU pokes, namely Raikou, Chandelure, Empoleon, Arcanine (even does good damage at -1), Darmanitan, Victini, etc., while Outrage cleans up the rest. Even Registeel and Rhyperior, two of the best defensive walls in UU are weak to Earthquake and are 2HKO'd cleanly, including max HP and max Def Registeel noted below (well, 66% chance, but most Registeels are Sp. Defensive I thought, right? Maybe?) U-turn is there for keeping momentum in the battle and allowing me to U-turn back and forth between Flygon and Victini if need be. For the last move, honestly, I'm not really sure what do use, but even more so, I'm not sure it matters. It's either going to be Superpower or Fire Punch, and I can't think of anything that is hit harder by Superpower than Earthquake. Fire Punch has only one use at all in my opinion, and it's to kill Ferroseed easier. I guess.

Calcs:

-1 252+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arcanine: 240-284 (62.5 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Rhyperior: 180-213 (41.4 - 49%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Registeel: 180-212 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 66% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Seed Flare
- Rest
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

EVs: Standard Life Orb Shaymin EV spread. I much prefer Timid over Modest, since with Life Orb this thing still hits quite hard. Open to trying a Modest Shaymin if it's suggested, although I think most people agree that Timid is the better nature, and the EVs are pretty self-explanatory.

Moves: Can't see a reason to use any grass move on Shaymin besides Seed Flare, except maybe the somewhat unreliable accuracy. As unlucky as I am, I seriously appreciate the 40% chance for a Sp. Def drop (combined with the 10% chance from Earth Power when applicable), the lack of negative consequences to it, and the 120 base power. Rest/Natural Cure is a pretty nifty combo as I can fully heal, absorb/heal status, and switch out to be good as new. I've never tried Synthesis admittedly, so I can't really comment on if/why it's better than Synthesis, but it does its job well. Hidden Power Ice is chosen over HP Fire because a lot of people switch in/leave in Gligar against me expecting to .. do something? I'm not really sure, but it happens a lot, and HP Ice hammers into Gligar even with Timid over Modest. It also hits Bulky Zapdos, Specially Defensive Xatu and Honchkrow for good damage, as I can usually outspeed them and make those 3HKOs more like potential 2HKOs, or guaranteed with Stealth Rocks (which I didn't include in my calcs).

Moreover though, I desperately need Shaymin to stay alive when I'm fighting against Umbreon/Cofagrigus, especially specially defensive Cofagrigus. My only real hope is to get Sp. Def drops, because while these calculations suggest that the task is easier than I'm describing to take down these 'mons, I only have 8 Seed Flare PP. That matters, because I can't continually go for it over and over again against Umbreon who protects every other turn, and can Foul Play/Wish stall me in-between. Thus I have to keep them sparingly so that when the time comes, I have 1-2 kill moves left. Plus, even if I can heal off Toxic with ease, the time I spend going for a rest is usually spent by Umbreon/Cofagrigus going for Wish/Pain Split, or something like that, and thus it's even harder for me to kill. Shaymin is basically my best answer to stall.

Calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 270-322 (80.8 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 156-185 (40.6 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Xatu: 130-153 (38.9 - 45.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Honchkrow: 237-281 (58.6 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 129-152 (32.7 - 38.5%) -- 3.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 253-300 (64.2 - 76.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cofagrigus: 148-175 (46.2 - 54.6%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Umbreon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Foul Play
- Wish
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

EVs: Standard Umbreon EVs, no reason to deviate from what works. Takes special moves well from most special attackers, bar Chandelure, who is better-resisted by Thick Fat Snorlax (who you'll see as a swap-out for this spot down below). I included the Chandelure Fire Blast calc-comparison below.

Moves: I'm really not a big fan of using pokes with no attacking moves, bar maybe Skarmory in OU now that Defog is actually a thing, I guess. Foul Play gets good damage too, on top of simply being an attacking move, doing around 33% to Raikou, maiming Darmanitan, Victini and Mienshao, and is STAB against Slowbro if that counts for anything when trying to Toxic stall it out. Wish/Heal bell because that's Umbreon's job as a cleric, no need to dive deeper into what clerics do. I ultimately chose Toxic over Protect because, aside from seeing a huge rise in Toxic Umbreon, I really appreciate being able to put toxic on Rhyperiors, Slowbros, Machamps (on switch in), Raikous, Blastoise's, Zapdos's, etc. that like to stay in and try their hand at out-muscling my Sp. Def, Toxic stalling me, or outright KOing me. As for Protect, honestly, I don't need it. It's more of a luxury to guarantee that you can heal Umbreon un-interrupted, but in my experience, everyone expects you to have it and starts setting up/switching/doing something annoying. I have slowbro for the Mienshao HJK, so it's not like that's a huge issue, although when slowbro is gone, it makes my life a lot harder.

Calcs:

252 SpA Flash Fire Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 175-207 (44.4 - 52.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Flash Fire Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 116 HP / 196+ SpD Thick Fat Snorlax: 103-123 (21 - 25.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt

EVs: Similar to Flygon, this thing needs all the attack it can get despite the high BP of its moves. I see no real incentive to go Jolly over Adamant, and the EVs themselves are obviously spread.

Moves: V-Create is an absolutely monstrous move. 180 BP with no Attack drop like Close Combat is an incredibly useful asset to have on my team. I typically like to have someone on my teams that can explode / go nuclear if necessary, and V-Create allows me to say "You -> Gone", even if it's not-very effective in some cases. The only common UU pokes that can really stop V-Create are Rhyperior, Kingdra, Chandelure/Arcanine (Flash Fire), Suicune, and Slowbro. That might sound like a solid list, but essentially, everything else is basically getting OHKO'd, or severely maimed on switch in by V-Create, only to be 2HKO'd next turn since my speed drop simply negates my scarf, leaving me at 298 - usually fast enough to get off a second.

Bolt Strike is useful for Suicune/Slowbro/Blastoise on switch-in, Zen Headbutt is there for stab/flinch/not-locking-myself-into-V-Create at the end of games, and U-turn preserves momentum and lets me escape against anything that can scare Victini out. I also like to lead with Victini usually, mainly for the same reason as people lead with Genesect in OU: it's hard to counter, and it's unpredictable (to an extent). Though I don't run it, I have seen a pretty sizeable sample of Victini's used against me running Special Scarf sets, or Life Orb Special/Mixed, or even the (somewhat rare) E-Belt.

He's one of my favorite sweepers, but .. isn't without flaws. Namely, hazards hurt. I don't run a rapid spinner, and this is BW2, so there's no Defog to bail me out. I'm not sure any calcs are necessary for Victini, though if I decide to add some later to illustrate a point, I will do so.

Overall, Rhyperior and Slowbro cover physical attackers well, and more importantly, cover each others' physical weaknesses well (though Megahorn is somewhat troublesome still). Victini and Flygon are a great pair, and I'd take those two sweepers any day in a late-game scenario. The Shaymin vs Roserade debate is still fierce, at least in my head, as they both have very redeeming qualities (and similar qualities, at that).

Swapped-Out Pokemon / Sets:

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
- Fake Out
- Beat Up
- U-turn
- Double Hit

First off, the power of Ambipom's LO Stab Technician +2 Priority Fake Out is underrated. It takes chunks out of physically defensive pokemon that expect to take it on no problem. Really though, Victini is better at doing everything except killing Cofagrigus (or so I thought), so I considered Beat-Up (Adamant) Ambipom as a solution. Didn't really work, since Beat Up doesn't OHKO, and sometimes doesn't 2HKO either. Not that it matters, since Cofagrigus can either WoW / Pain Split me, or Pain Split my switch, and then it's all for naught. At that point, I'd just rather have Victini.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 196 SDef / 28 Atk / 116 HP / 168 Def
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind / Curse

It's the standard EV spread, with the Lameflame touch on it (aka, take off from HP, put into Atk for extra firepower, you saw it above). This has saved me in a lot of battles, and I haven't fully retired it in favor of Umbreon yet, but there are some battles when I'd really, really much rather have Umbreon. Not everything hits with Fire/Ice special moves, and when those moves are anything else, Umbreon is superior. Also, burned Flygon, Paralyzed Victini, Poisoned Slowbro, etc. isn't very useful, and Heal Bell is hugely appreciated. Additionally, I don't have a spinner (I really dislike all the BW2 UU spinners), so Wish-passing into Victini, though it doesn't happen too often, is a nice way-out if I need it. Alas, Snorlax is temporarily put to rest.

• Flygon: Fire Punch -> Superpower
  • Rhyperior: Used to have 195 Sp. Def EVs, 328 Atk, 340 Def, and the rest in HP. I figured that set had the best of all worlds, and maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. It just seemed like every time I'd need the Sp. Def, it wasn't there, and I was getting OHKO'd anyway, so I switched to my current set.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for all comments, positive, negative, comedic or otherwise!

Importable:
Rhyperior (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Solid Rock

EVs: 156 HP / 100 Atk / 252 Def

Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Rock Blast

- Megahorn

Slowbro (M) @ Rocky Helmet

Trait: Regenerator

EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 SAtk

Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

- Scald

- Psyshock

- Calm Mind

- Slack Off

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Levitate

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd

- Outrage

- Earthquake

- Superpower

- U-turn

Shaymin @ Life Orb

Trait: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)

- Seed Flare

- Rest

- Earth Power

- Hidden Power [Ice]

Umbreon (F) @ Leftovers

Trait: Synchronize

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef

Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)

- Foul Play

- Wish

- Toxic

- Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Victory Star

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd

- V-create

- Bolt Strike

- U-turn

- Zen Headbutt

First off, it's great to see someone modifying their game to try to better fit in with the metagame, balance is one of the strongest playstyles to run and i think that this team is the epitome of what UU balance is. Moving onto the RMT though.

I'd like to just comment on some of the spreads used:

Rhyperior: I found running a 240HP/16Atk/252Def Adamant set is just more effective overall. The defense difference is hardly noticeable but allows you to be a much stronger Rhyperior. The extra HP also gives you a much better change at living things like Hidden Power Grass from Rotom-H, Zapdos etc.

Slowbro: Only run enough special attack to KO roserade, there's no point killing it by 105% min cause at the end of the day, Roserade can only ever have 100% health. 64 SpA is enough to guarantee the OHKO on roserade 100% of the time so i suggest changing it to that and dumping the rest in HP.
64 SpA Slowbro Psyshock vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 264-312 (100.7 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Flygon: I'll speak about this later because i think flygon needs to be switched out for another mon.

Shaymin: I'd run Psychic over HP ice, HP ice does nail things like Zapdos and Gligar but you don't want to be staying in on a Zapdos with Shaymin to do 60% or whatever with HP ice only to be return KO'ed by Heat Wave. Psychic hits Crobat, the number 1 switch in to all grass types in the tier and fighting types that would otherwise wall your set such as Heracross and Virizion.
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Psychic vs. 176 HP / 0 SpD Crobat: 257-304 (72.3 - 85.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heracross: 221-263 (73.4 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 172-203 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Umbreon: Run 248 HP cause odd number with SR switch in, a small thing but it helps vs stall when you may be switching into Umbreon a lot. Move the 4 in Attack to Def and have 8 EVs total in there, you don't need attack because foul play is calculated off the opponent's attack stat.

Victini: Since i want Victini to be your main scarfer, run Jolly to ensure at worst you speed tie with other base 100s and outspeed things like Scarf Rotom-H, Scarf Darmanitan etc.

As for changes to the team, one thing your team lacks is a solid win condition. I've never really liked CM slowbro so i suggest changing Calm Mind to thunder wave and running a support set. Your team also has a huge weakness to bug with 3 mons weak to it and no resists. With this in mind i suggest you change Flygon to Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus provides you with a resist to bug and something that can slow down a rampage from what i can identify as your teams biggest weakness, Yanmega. With trickroom, Cofag can ensure that Yanmega's speed boosts are in vain and allows you to be able to revenge kill with another member on your team.

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 2 Spd / 2 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball

tl;dr

Change around a few spreads

HP Ice -> Psychic on Shaymin
Flygon -> Cofagrigus
Calm Mind -> Thunder Wave on Slowbro
Aside from that, a nice team! I hope to see you producing teams in the up and coming XY UU meta and if you need anything else, you can head on over to the UnderUsed Room for more discussion/assistance with teambuilding. :]

Last edited:
Calloflochie,

Before responding to your suggestions, ironically I stumbled upon your RMT just last night, and may I say your sense of humor is unrivaled on the UU ladder ("I dare you."). You seem to be a very insightful teambuilder (#1/#2, clearly) and I very much appreciate you taking the time to rate my team!

First off, it's great to see someone modifying their game to try to better fit in with the metagame, balance is one of the strongest playstyles to run and i think that this team is the epitome of what UU balance is"
Not a big part of the RMT but I'm glad that the style I'm going for is apparent in the construct of the team. I agree that the balanced approach has proven to be the dominant approach for most top-tier UU teams.

Rhyperior: If you say the defense drop is hardly noticeable, I'll take your word for it and give this set a try. The extra HP and added Atk is very promising, while still keeping with my Rhyperior philosophy of little (none) Sp. Def. I'll probably end up sticking with this EV spread to be honest, since it seems to do what I'm already doing, just better.

Slowbro: Yeah, those EVs will be immediately tidied up, my mistake. KOing Roserade on switch-in is the point of that added Sp. Atk investment, but you're right, you've only got 100% HP, and again I think Slowbro will appreciate the slight increase in bulk given the number of physical hits he tanks for me throughout the battle. I'll try out the T-Wave idea too, it'd been floating around in my mind for a while but honestly I never really had the impetus to make the change, so thanks.

As a side note, I did receive a comment from a different source that also suggested Cofagrigus as you have, but to swap out Slowbro for him instead and run a defensive set (they still swapped out Flygon though). I do think that Slowbro is a key component to this team, so I think I'll test out your suggestions first, but just putting it out there in case you wanted to weigh in on it.

Shaymin: This is the only bit of advice that concerned me simply because I can't stand outplaying someone (sometimes 5-0) only to be walled by Gligar for no good reason. If I ever lose Slowbro, I'm essentially surrendering the game to Gligar because unless I get some clutch Sp. Def drops off Seed Flare (which as I talked about earlier, only 8 PP for an entire Stall team), there's not a move in my team's arsenal that can punch holes in Gligar. However, I'm not currently running TR Cofag (I have in the past), so perhaps that was the way-out of Gligar that you envisioned when you swapped out HP Ice for Psychic. Overall I'd much prefer Psychic for all of the reasons/calcs you listed, but it's just the nagging fear of GligarStall that has me on the fence.

Umbreon: Anything that helps me alleviate the stress of stall teams is much appreciated, and if a small answer is 248 HP EVs then this will be changed immediately. Truthfully I've seen this logic many times over (including in your RMT) but never had the presence of mind to apply it to my own team, so thanks for the heads up. Also 4 Atk EVs on Umbreon (pro status right there), yeah that's changing, derp.

Victini: Is the power-drop noticeable? I suppose I'll have to do some calculations to figure this out. On one hand, I'm sure it doesn't really make much difference since Bolt Strike wasn't always cleanly 2HKOing bulky Suicunes and Blastoises, and never 2HKO'd Slowbro (obviously). Maybe V-Create can still OHKO Bronzong leads even with Jolly (who always seem to think I won't go V-Create, but really though, I'm going to go V-Create). I'm a bit concerned though that right now, Adamant Victini Zen Headbutt just barely OHKO's standard Nidoking (I believe I need just slightly over min-roll, maybe later if it's still bugging me I'll post a calc), and I'm not a huge fan of Nidoking on my opponent's team in a similar vein to Gligar. I thought Rotom-H was 298 max speed (just going off memory), but yeah Scarf Darmanitan has always caused me some big trouble late in games when my bulky 'mons are gone. I'm certainly going to give it a try, though if you have some stronger selling points I'd love to hear them since the raw power of Victini is perhaps its most appealing asset for me as a revenge killer.

Cofagrigus: I mentioned this up top, but just so my conscience is clear, no bulky set for Cofagrigus? (WoW, Haze, Pain Split, etc etc.?) I'm personally a fan of TR Cofag anyway and moreover I think Yanmega has seriously violated my team more than a few times (can't believe I forgot to add him into the threat list, wow), so the Trick room will definitely help me. Just figured I'd toss it out there.

I'm sitting at around 1780 points right now on the BW2 UU Smogon ladder but in the grand scheme of things, I'm shooting for much higher (need moar clamperl imo) so if I haven't already immediately changed those things you mentioned, I'll be testing out the others very soon and perhaps posting my ideas on XY UU so far soon as well. Thanks very much for the rate![/quote]

No problems! More than welcome to help people improve on their teambuilding in UU since we all know UU is the best tier :P. And thank you for your kind comments on my RMT, i tried my best to make it the best introduction to the Smogon forums i could do!

I'm glad you liked my suggestions, i tried to make them so i maximised your teams chance at getting the victory you want. I myself have never been a fan of defensive Cofagrigus but if you use that, keep CM on Slowbro since you really want a win condition on a balance team. Gligar shouldn't be too problematic since in conjunction with slowbro, cofag and shaymin, you have enough special strength to overwhelm Gligar on it's weaker side. As always, i like to include calcs to back up my evidence so here you are.
+2 252+ SpA Cofagrigus Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 220-259 (65.8 - 77.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 203-239 (60.7 - 71.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
64 SpA Slowbro Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Gligar: 176-210 (52.6 - 62.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As for Victini, the power drop isn't hugely noticeable, it's more important that you remember as the scarf mon of the team, it is there to deal with the revenge killing and scouting of the team NOT the wallbreaking. With the bronzong thing:

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bronzong: 320-378 (94.6 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

So more often than not, you will be killing Bronzong and a lot of the time i see more specially defensive Bronzong so you should be fairly safe! Also my mistake on the Rotom-H, thought it was 87 base speed for some reason. The reason you use victini over darm though is because of that extra speed, if you run Adamant, you become stronger than Scarf Darmanitan but lose the selling point of Victini, that base 100 speed tier. Also, you have an umbreon, i wouldnt be too worried about Nidoking but if you need to see.

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 304-358 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You kill it regardless so don't worry about Nidoking anymore mate.

Also 1780 is still pretty good man! I've been in the game for a while so i know my way around the tier pretty well so being able to top the ladder with Clamperl says more about the ladder than it does about me. I'm glad i could be of assistance and good luck with your battling/XY UU teambuilding in the future!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)