Balanced FWG Team (1905 Peak) *UPDATED*

Hey Smogon! Like many of the posters in here, this is my first RMT thread/post period. I am an import from Yugioh, and I've been lurking here for a while so that I can learn the metagame of Pokemon. As a Yugioh player, I know that one of the easiest ways to learn the metagame is by learning how to use already developed teams (and I haven't touched Pokemon since Ruby).

Team Building (ish)

With that in mind, I toyed around with a lot of teams on here, and took a liking to the concept behind this one:

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/zenkokuku%E2%80%99s-1st-rmt-fwg-core.3497905/

Even though that thread didn't get a lot of attention, my team is not much of a departure from it, so I didn't want to step on anyone's toes by not giving proper credit. For those of you who don't want to click on the link, Zenkokuku's team looked like this:

I liked the overall composition because I try to avoid overexposed pokes like Rotom-W/Aegis/Talonflame, but in general I felt like it could deal with many competitive strategies. What I didn't like, however, was the the Fairy/Rock weakness on Salamance, and the fact that the team had three dancers. With Suicune playing such a pivotal role one the team, I thought I'd replace him with something more versatile + electric immunity.

Of course, I've also shuffled around some of the move-sets, since I'm not just trying to do a repeat of Zenkokuku's RMT. The addition of Lando-T forms an intimidate core with Mawile, and I think it's really changed the way that the team functions. Additionally, I've tweaked many of the move-sets to deal with threats and create better synergy.

Movesets

Pikachus (Infernape) (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP SpA/ 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Flare Blitz Overheat
- Close Combat​

Ah yes, the beloved Pikachu. This Pikachu is my SR setter and occasional suicide lead. He has a pretty standard EV spread/moveset, but I've given him Rock Slide as another way to deal with Zard X/Y and Talonflame. His Focus Sash has put in a lot of work against squishy boosters. Even when I don't lead off with him, he can be very dangerous in the late game once his threats have been removed. I've considered a choiced Darmanitan for this slot, but SR are often too valuable.

Pikachus (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
Gen 3 called, they want their Pikachu (CroCune) back. This guy has put in major work for me as an early game physical wall, and mid/lategame sweeper. All he really needs is for roar/water absorb users to be eliminated, and a situation where he can get CM off 2 times before getting hit by grass/electric (if there is any). If I predict Ferrothorn switch-ins I always Scald because if I can get the lucky burn, then I can keep boosting. The best thing about this set is that many players aren't expecting the RestTalk, and will often send in a status-user before any sort of wall-breaker.

Pikachus (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball Earth Power
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm
- Trick
This Pikachu completes the FWG core, and is crucial for dealing with clerics/tanky boosters/baton passers. He is also my alternate lead for when I see a Rotom-W or Greninja on the opposing team. His EV spread/Scarf often catch people off guard. Many players will keep their Rotom/Greninja in and go for a Volt Switch/Ice Beam, which usually results in a OHKO to Leaf Storm. Stab Psychic and Shadow Ball Earth Power are for hitting switch-ins hard, and mons like Megasaur, Aegislash, and Latios Bisharp.

Pikachus (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Atk / 78 Def / 60 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
I have no idea where I got this spread, but it has been working well for me. I think it may have been modified from a non-Adamant spread because I realized I could get a higher stat total by placing his nature on +Atk and just moving some EV's over to Def. This Pikachu functions as a pivot, and I will start him when I don't think Infernape/Smellibi are appropriate. He often benefits from the fact that people assume that he is there to set up SR, and will blow a taunt on him. I ALWAYS start him against Deoxys-D because he can eat the taunt and get a THKO with Knock-Off/U-turn, and put me in a pretty advantageous position. Last but not least, he forms the first part of the intimidate core. This makes him great switch-in against CharX, which can sometimes be a difficult mon to deal with. The move-set is pretty standard for AV so I don't think it needs explaining.

Pikachus (Sylveon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
This Pikachu functions great as a cleric/wish passer. I would possibly consider running a SpD EV spread, but right now I'm digging the mixed set. I am open to advice on this point, because I've found that dealing with HO teams is difficult without a dedicated special wall. Hyper Voice/Pixilate hits like a truck against many mons, and has the added benefit of hitting behind subs. You can't always leave her in though, since being too predictable may give your opponent a chance to set-up. As a final note, Heal Bell provides synergy with CroCune. Combined with Natural Cure and RestTalk, Heal Bell ensures that my team doesn't fear status-heavy teams one bit.

Digimon (Mawile) (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
This dudette forms the second part of the intimidate core before she digi-volves. Most of my replays will feature a max HP/SD set because this is a recent modification, but it has been successful so far. Subsitute is amazing against common switch-ins like Heatran and Rotom-W. Not only does he retain some oomph due to Focus Punch, but Subsitute puts pressure on your opponent to attack, making Sucker Punch more reliable. The speed EVs are nice because he outspeeds pretty much any partially invested base 50 or 60. The Steel/Fairy typing compliments Sylveon because he can switch into poison with impunity.

Concluding Remarks/Replays
As you can tell this team preys heavily on players' preconceptions about how certain pokemon are run, or unfamiliarity with mons like Suicune/Smellibi. Because I don't use a lot of high-tiered pokemon, prediction is key to being successful with this team (I know that applies to all teams, but I feel it is especially true here). It is unusual to see a team with 3 physical attackers, due to the prevalence of Will-O-WIsp, and this often works to my advantage. Not only does my team deal with status extremely well, many teams fall apart once I eliminate their physical walls. This team is still a WIP, and I appreciate any constructive feedback or additions to my threat list. Here are some replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-104729358 A pretty close game against a high-rated player
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-103632727 Standard stuff
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-106242465 Grindin'
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-106981385
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-111444142

Threat List
Bisharp is obviously the main threat due to my double intimidate, but he can't switch in against anything that is already set up (like Suicune or Mawile). The addition of earth power has given me another check, however.

I enjoyed making this and I look forward to constructive discussion!

Last edited:
The EVs on your Mawile are weird lol. I'm pretty sure you meant 132 HP / 252+ Atk / 124 Spd. Anyway, MegaSaur isn't much of a problem because you have Celebi. If you're afraid of Bisharp taking advantage of Intimidate, replace Landorus with ScarfChomp or Scarf Excadrill. Scarfchomp allows you to revenge kill both Zard formes (even Timid X-Zard at +1 not sure about bulkier spreads as they tend to vary) and attracts Fairies as well who are setup fodder for Mawile. Scarf Excadrill on the other hand, removes hazards from the field and has that Mold Breaker EQ which allows it to get past Rotom quicker than Scarfchomp would. Btw I refrained from suggesting changes to your FWG core as it looks pretty good lol
Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Hasty / Naive Nature
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head

Hope I helped and good luck with your team!!

I like how you lead with Celebi. I've tried this team a few times and I actually killed a few Rotom-W's with Leaf Storm. As for your Mawile, I think running a Swords Dance would make your Mawile that much more dangerous and frightening to your opponent, OHKO-ing many with Play Rough. I guess having Focus Punch would take care of the pesky Ferrothorn anyway, so you don't necessarily need Fire Fang.

You can try replacing Sylveon with Chansey @ Eviolite. That thing just doesn't die.

I would switch shadow ball on celebi to earth power, as the two biggest switch ins to celebi will be bisharp and aegislash, and earth power does a ton of damage to either of them. I would also switch flare blitz to overheat on Infernape, since running flare blitz and focus sash seems kind of contradictory, and mixed infernape is extremely threatening to many bulkier teams, not to mention that it's a lot better at killing skarmory, which seems to cause your team a lot of trouble by phasing the things that can beat it and flat out walling the things that can't beat it.

Those are great suggestions! Shadow ball was partially for lati@s, but those aren't a huge problem for me. Any suggestions on the ev spread for mixed Infernape (although I never minded the recoil because he is a suicide)?

Hey there, I suck at giving suggestions, but I'd like to say that this team is legit. Crocune can handle CharX and most other setup sweepers quite easily. Also, AV Landorus is a very good lure for taunt. Ive played against this a few times, and lost from that fact. Great team

Personally I've never thought of using an offensive trick but this team works pretty well...Against me. Then again still pretty good

I like your team idea. I have used Crocune to great success this gen. If Bisharp is giving you problems, you could consider replacing Suicune with Keldeo, that's what I did on my old team. But it's very Hyper Offensive, so Suicune was a little out of place.

Otherwise, Mach Punch might be a viable alternative with Infernape, but I'm afraid it'd miss out on the KO, even with LO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)