(Balanced Hackmons) A Paranoid Stall Balanced Hackmons team (win/loss 46-1)

What is "Paranoid Stalling"?

Paranoid Stalling is exclusive to the BH metagame. All Paranoid Stalling teams must carry an Imposter and a volt-turner(s). The strategy in using this type of stall is rather simple; you need to scout before you act!

Guidelines:

• Never switch your status orb Pokemon in by normal means unless you know it's safe, as Knock Off is quite prevalent in the current metagame The Toxic Orb must be activated safely through volt-turn.
  • Always carry a Defog Pokemon, preferably a Magic Bouncer or a defensive status orb user.
  • All stall teams need a good defensive structure; the Paranoid Stalling structure tries to counter: Poison Heal Regigigas, Aerilate Flying types, Refrigerate Ice Types, Pixilate Fairy Types, Water Spout Palkia, Eruption Reshiram, Contrary Sweepers, Imposter, and Judgment Plate Pokemon.
  • Don't just blindly switch Imposter against a Steel-type, as Steel-types sometimes use Magnet Pull!
  • Status Orb users often have status moves such as Spore, Dark Void, and Nuzzle, as well as Knock Off, so be prepared and try to set your orbs early.

Introduction:

Now that the guidelines of using this type of team is explained, I must also explain the strange condition of my rank.

It is indeed strange, the average amount of battles it takes to leave provisional is 20+; however, because I only have 1 loss, my rank cannot be determined. Here's what MJB and Zarel said:

08:51AdrianMarinSo basically
08:51Zarelyou said you took screenshots? I'll need to see them before I can talk with him about it.
08:51AdrianMarinI'm winning games I shouldn't win?
08:51V4|FEPoRCorrect
08:51MJBhowever, unless you fced 46 players with higher ranks than you, it seems to be bugged/acting weird
08:51ZarelAdrianMarin, anyway it's possibly just Glicko2 being weird
08:51IdcmynameDo you want me to send pictures of the chat so you can believe me better
08:51*** V4|FEPoR is now known as V4
08:51V4oops
08:51AdrianMarinI fought many high ranks tbh
08:51*** V4 is now known as V4|away
08:52AdrianMarin1800/2000
08:52AdrianMarinAnd not too many low ranks
08:52Zarelit does sound unusual
08:52MJBif you are higher than that though, that shouldnt matter
08:52MJBit just sounds bugged/freaking out tbh
08:52Zarelbut I don't ladder so I don't know on average how many games it takes to leave provisional
08:52IdcmynameZarel how do you want me to send them to you email?
08:52MJBZarel: when i laddered it was around 20 games
08:52ZarelIdcmyname, can't you just imgur them or something?
08:52AdrianMarinApparently, it takes 15 games to get out of provisional
08:52ZarelMJB, okay, that's very weird then
08:53Idcmynameimgur? Um sorry have no idea what that is...
08:53MJBindeed
08:53Zareloh
08:53Zarel46-1-0 record
08:53haplessherooh indeed.
08:53Zarelthat explains it
08:53Zarelyeah, Glicko2 needs to see a few losses before your rating range can be narrowed down below provisional
08:53*** _pre quit (Quit: )
08:53mibitianhey zarel can you register servers
08:53AdrianMarinSo basically
08:53MJBohrly?
08:53AdrianMarinI HAVE to lose?
08:54IdcmynameI won't spam your email or anything I just want to send them to you
08:54MJBAdrianMarin: i would say, more play until you happen to lose
08:54ZarelMJB, AdrianMarin, basically, deviation is a measure of how sure Glicko2 is of your rating
08:54IdcmynameDo you have an email you don't care about?
08:54haplessherojust keep playing, just keep playing
08:54AdrianMarinAlright
08:54MJBhaplesshero: has got the right idea
08:54Zarelit needs to be "pretty sure" to fall below provisional
08:54haplessheroidcmyname use imgur, it's not very hard, and requires no signup
08:54AdrianMarin100 more battles here we go
08:54IdcmynameJust tell me the steps
08:54AdrianMarinThanks for helping me

The Team

Venusaur-Mega @ Black Sludge
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Calm Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Trick
- Taunt
- Roost
- Destiny Bond

Mega Venusaur may seem like an odd choice; however, it has been performing extremely well because of its excellent typing in the current metagame, and its immunity to Spore. Black Sludge + Trick not only makes stalling easier, it also allows Mega Venusaur to cripple Judgment Plate Pokemon (Mega Gengar, Reshiram and friends,) just try not to take an Assault Vest with Trick, that will make the oversized plant completely useless. Taunt is pretty mandatory on a Prankster without Substitute, as Mold Breaker Deoxys-S is a very common lead and must be prepared for. Destiny Bond is another important move because it is a great way to defeat sweepers going haywire. At first, I used Spore, then I realised that it's often too predictable to actually work well.

Scizor-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 252 Spd
Impish Nature
- Milk Drink
- Gear Grind / Meteor Mash
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock / King's Shield

Mega Scizor fills a very important spot in my team, and that spot is for walling Reshiram; as well as a large amount of physical attackers. Because Mega Scizor walls both Kyurem-B and Xerneas, Mega Scizor appreciates having a powerful STAB Super Effective attack to hit them with. The choice between Gear Grind and Meteor Mash is a matter of preference; Meteor Mash has a 20% chance to increase attack, but has less PP, whereas Gear Grind is stronger, less accurate, and is overall much better in my opinion. Dragon Tail is quite important for this set, as Mega Scizor needs to phaze powerful sweepers that it walls quite well, not to mention that it can threaten Giratina with Dragon Tail and hazards.

Yveltal @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Heal Order
- Imprison / Whirlwind

Another odd set. The reason why I am using Yveltal is because Mega Gengar and Ghost-Arceus have become very common, and this set hard-counters both of them. Knock Off is amazing against Ghost-Arceus as it's always 97 Base Power, since Arceus's plate cannot be knocked off. Imprison is used to handle Imposters, as it works well, since this set is walled by Imposter, and has many opportunities to set up. Of course, Whirlwind is a great option too. Low Kick is quite interesting, as a lot of Pokemon in Balanced Hackmons are extremely heavy, so its average Base Power is high; I use it to smash Mega Tyranitar/Gyarados hard.

Registeel @ Abomasite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Aromatherapy
- Roost
- Entrainment

The first member of the anti-Regigigas core, Poison Heal Regigigas is still mandatory to wall because it can easily destroy a team with very powerful attacks with status moves/attacks like Sacred Fire and Spore. Entrainment has a surprising amount of utility, hurting status orb users and making Mold Breakers unable to bypass Magic Bounce. Baton Pass is useful for gaining momentum, I chose it over other switching moves for its much better 64 PP, this is important since Paranoid Stall matches can last extremely long. Aromatherapy is almost mandatory on every Balanced Hackmons team and is ideal on a Magic Bounce/Insomnia user. Back then, Mega Stones couldn't be Tricked or Knocked Off, this allowed users of it to pivot tricksters that they're not scared of (Prankster Trick/Switcheroo.)

Giratina @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Whirlwind

The second member of the anti-Regigigas core. My Giratina set is very common in the ladder and for good reason, it walls a large amount of Pokemon such as Regigigas and can hit many opposing pokemon surprisingly hard if Knock Off is super effective. Additionally, Knock Off makes Mega Gengars afraid to switch by normal means. Defog is really good on status orb users because they cannot be compromised by status once the orb activates. I chose Whirlwind instead of Dragon Tail since Substitute is rather common in the current metagame Also, Whirlwind has more PP. PP stalling is a strategy that I often use with Paranoid Stall and the more PP, the better.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 1
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Whirlwind
- Parting Shot
- Final Gambit

Ah, Imposter Chansey, a classic set. Moves may seem redundant on an Imposter, but this is not the case, as Substitute, Transform itself, and Illusion block Transform from working. Fake Out allows Chansey to break the Illusion, which can sometimes be game changing. Parting Shot grants a way to phaze Magic Bouncers behind a Substitute. Finally, Final Gambit is a risky move, but is worth it if it's used at the right moment.

Import:

Code:
Venusaur-Mega @ Black Sludge
Ability: Prankster
Calm Nature
- Trick
- Taunt
- Heal Order
- Destiny Bond

Scizor-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Impish Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Gear Grind
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Yveltal @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Heal Order
- Imprison

Registeel @ Abomasite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Aromatherapy
- Heal Order
- Entrainment

Giratina @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Heal Order
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Whirlwind

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Imposter
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 1
Relaxed Nature
- Fake Out
- Whirlwind
- Parting Shot
- Final Gambit

Conclusion:

It would be ideal if raters try this team with the above guidelines religiously, it cannot work any other way. Also, thank you for reading and Merry Christmas!

:mad:

Last edited:
This is a really good team.

I would use escavalier over scizor personally, but personal preference or whatever. I also take credit for low kick yveltal.

While I don't play much sixth generation balanced hackmons, I notice an obvious flaw with your team. Four of your team members run heal order. Heal order is a mighty bug move used by Vespiquen to restore half of its maximum hp per use. However, four heal order mons are a bit excessive. Instead, try the recovery move of champions, the mighty Milk Drink, endorsed by Smogon's founder himself, chaos. I guarantee that this will help your team do better, if only against imprison heal order mons, which I have never seen but could nonetheless possibly exist. In all seriousness, diversifying recovery moves has basically no downside, while ensuring that you don't get caught by this gimmick.

More rates as I see them.

How do you take fridge boomburst?
How do you deal with Chansey stall besides with your own Chansey?

Good team as far as I can see.

While I don't play much sixth generation balanced hackmons, I notice an obvious flaw with your team. Four of your team members run heal order. Heal order is a mighty bug move used by Vespiquen to restore half of its maximum hp per use. However, four heal order mons are a bit excessive. Instead, try the recovery move of champions, the mighty Milk Drink, endorsed by Smogon's founder himself, chaos. I guarantee that this will help your team do better, if only against imprison heal order mons, which I have never seen but could nonetheless possibly exist. In all seriousness, diversifying recovery moves has basically no downside, while ensuring that you don't get caught by this gimmick.

More rates as I see them.

How do you take fridge boomburst?
How do you deal with Chansey stall besides with your own Chansey?

Good team as far as I can see.
You raise a great point, I can barely handle Kyurem-W:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Refrigerate Kyurem-W Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 161-190 (44.2 - 52.1%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

I'm thinking of changing Mega Scizor to Assault Vest Regenerator Kyogre, however, this will give me a Mewtwo-X/Y problem. An interesting fix would be to try something like Flash Fire Aegislash instead.

I handle Chansey normally by outstalling the opponent or tricking a Black Sludge into it, severely compromising its effectiveness.

EDIT: I decided that hard-countering Kyurem-W is not worth compromising my teams overall effectiveness, I also changed Yveltal's Topsy Turvy into Imprison (explained in Yveltal's description.)

Last edited:

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Definitely not the type of team I'd like to use, but extremely effective XD

I have one question though. I can see how you'll never die using this team, but how do you win? Do you just get your opponents to rage quit? None of your pokemon seem fit for sweeping, though some can do decent damage. Do you get most of your ko's off chansey? I'm just curious because I suck at stall tactics.

Also, we need to battle sometime. I'd like to see how your Paranoid Stall deals with my Illusion Offense :P

Definitely not the type of team I'd like to use, but extremely effective XD

I have one question though. I can see how you'll never die using this team, but how do you win? Do you just get your opponents to rage quit? None of your pokemon seem fit for sweeping, though some can do decent damage. Do you get most of your ko's off chansey? I'm just curious because I suck at stall tactics.

Also, we need to battle sometime. I'd like to see how your Paranoid Stall deals with my Illusion Offense :P
I usually win by PP stalling and target the "glue" of the team, the glue is usually Giratina which Yveltal can usually defeat with repeated Knock Off's. Still, it's best to scout, so I usually take 30/40 even 100+ turns of just observing the opponent and then once I have enough information, I make my move. Also, I would love to battle you, challenge me any time i'm online.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
This should probably be in sixth gen teams (the only other BH thread there was a shitty RMT and locked for breaking rules, not for being a BH team).

Also:
<Marty> Mega Stones are not different from Plates, Drives, or the Griseous Orb
<Marty> they have a Fling Base Power which is either 80 or 90 but I haven't had time to pinpoint it
Get that Abomasite off your Registeel, you might as well be holding a Claw Fossil.

This should probably be in sixth gen teams (the only other BH thread there was a shitty RMT and locked for breaking rules, not for being a BH team).

Also:
<Marty> Mega Stones are not different from Plates, Drives, or the Griseous Orb
<Marty> they have a Fling Base Power which is either 80 or 90 but I haven't had time to pinpoint it
Get that Abomasite off your Registeel, you might as well be holding a Claw Fossil.
I tested Mega Stones in PS, they cannot be knocked off or tricked on all Pokemon. I'm sorry for posting this rmt in the other teams section, how can I resolve this problem?

EDIT: Jirachee moved this thread to the 6th gen RMT's one.

Last edited:
This team does a great job of stopping offense in its tracks, and each member seems designed to ruin one or more of BH's most prominent offensive threats. My favorite member is Yveltal, which ruins strategies with Knock Off and hits all the Regis and Kyurems super-effectively with Low Kick. The team, while it does have to be used in a very specific way (which was acknowledged in the OP), is ultimately very successful, as evidenced by Adrian's excellent record. Good job!

I know next to nothing about BH, but I like the team because stall is amazing and it just looks creative which is also good. Do you maybe have some replays laying around? Id love to watch them :)

I know next to nothing about BH, but I like the team because stall is amazing and it just looks creative which is also good. Do you maybe have some replays laying around? Id love to watch them :)
You can watch some replays i've started to save here: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ just search the replays of Adrian BH

What happened during that one game were you lost? Do you have replay of it?
I did not save that replay, but I remember losing against a Mega Gengar, this is what made me choose to use Yveltal in the first place.

I am trying to get #1 at the moment, my record now is 69-2 still provisional... I will update this RMT as soon as I am out of provisional

EDIT: So after purposely losing twice, I still have a long way to go...?!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)