Balanced Hackmons Community Create-a-Team (Testing post-Protean team)

OP very loosely based on Magnemite's PU one, but mostly original
Approved by Eevee General

Thanks Sobi for the banner!

Hello, OM community! Today I'd like to reintroduce an old project for Balanced Hackmons, a meta with a considerably large player base, but comparatively few representative threads in the Other Metagames forum. We did one of these before in the GKR era, a little less than a year ago, but produced a mediocre team that was built around some questionable sets. Hopefully we can avoid that this time; I feel that the community has developed significantly since then.​

As a community, we will work together to create our very own team for the current meta. This will hopefully create not only in a sample team that new players will be able to use, but also an opportunity for current players of varying skill levels to deepen their knowledge of the meta.

First, we will begin by picking a set to base our team around. It can be offensive or defensive; its role is ultimately irrelevant, but it should be a reliable set, so that we have a solid base on which to build a team. After several days of players nominating sets, the community will have a vote, with each user voting for one set, and the set that receives the most votes will be chosen for the foundation of our team.

Then, we will repeat the nomination process five times to fill in the remaining slots on the team. Make sure that your suggestions synergize well with what is already present on the team; if they don't work well, they may not be slated.

Once we have six Pokemon, we'll test the team on the ladder, determine its strengths and weaknesses, and do any necessary modifications. Then our project will be complete! Hopefully we'll have created a useful resource for the BH community.

A note: in submitting potential team members, feel free to be creative; in a meta with so many options, innovation is always important. However, submissions of Pokemon that are unviable, outclassed, or otherwise irredeemably flawed will not be slated. Enjoy!

Current team members:

Rayquaza-Mega @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Protean
EVs: 200 Atk / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Rash Nature
- Judgment
- Bolt Strike
- Boomburst
- V-create

Rayquaza-Mega @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Spore
- Infestation / Magma Storm

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Nuzzle
- Stealth Rock/Defog/Gastro Acid
- Recover
- Parting Shot

Giratina @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Parting Shot / U-turn
- Slack Off
- Metal Burst
- Will-O-Wisp / Whirlwind

Ho-Oh @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Whirlwind / U-Turn

Audino-Mega @ Safety Goggles / Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Recover
- Heart Swap
- Baton Pass

Last edited:

EV

Banned deucer.
So...

Mega Mewtwo Y @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- King's Shield

MAMP

MAMP!

Tyranitar-Mega @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Shift Gear
- Diamond Storm
- Will-O-Wisp / Sacred Fire

A very solid sweeper, status absorber, and Aerilate check in one Pokemon. 124 speed lets you outspeed 252+ m2y after a shift gear.

Mega Mewtwo Y @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Moonblast
- Psystrike/Secret Sword
- King's Shield

Surprises many top metagame threats and is solid even when it doesn't

Mawile-Mega @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Sacred Fire / Meteor Mash
- Nuzzle
- U-turn

Regenerator, assault vest M-Mawile, provides a reliable switch in to all the -ate users in the tier (M-Diance, M-Quaza, Kyurem-B/W) and can cripple them with a nuzzle / sacred fire. It's a great pivot to safely bring in Toxic orb or Flame orb users as well. Meteor mash can be considered over sacred fire to OHKO M-Diancie.

I know the set i'm gonna post isn't as standart as the others, but i believe it can be almost as good and also innovator.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aeroblast
- Focus Energy
- Spacial Rend
- Filler

A small demonstration of its power:

252+ SpA Life Orb Sniper Mega Rayquaza Spacial Rend vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock on a critical hit: 328-386 (90.1 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

All you need to do to achieve this is setup SR and Focus Energy. You can go Timid Nature but then loses the OHKO.

Just reminding that Focus Energy + High-Critical moves (Aeroblast, Spacial Rend, etc) is ALWAYS critical.

I know the set i'm gonna post isn't as standart as the others, but i believe it can be almost as good and also innovator.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 6 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aeroblast
- Focus Energy
- Spacial Rend
- Filler

A small demonstration of its power:

252+ SpA Life Orb Sniper Mega Rayquaza Spacial Rend vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock on a critical hit: 328-386 (90.1 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

All you need to do to achieve this is setup SR and Focus Energy. You can go Timid Nature but then loses the OHKO.

Just reminding that Focus Energy + High-Critical moves (Aeroblast, Spacial Rend, etc) is ALWAYS critical.
The problem is, A critical hit is only 50% more damage. Sniper makes it 2.25x, but that's tbarely more than adaptability, which hits harder before. Whats's more, these moves already have a chance to crit. This set is completely outclassed by an adaptability Tail Glow set (mostly outclassed by Quiver Dance), which isn't even all that good. If we were doing to improve it, however, Draco Meteor>Spacial Rend due to crits ignoring spa drops.

Sorry to be all negative, especially seeing how much better this is than the old Rayquaza suggestion posted here, but that's how it is.

Last edited:
The problem is, A critical hit is only 50% more damage. Sniper makes it 2x, but that's the same boost as adaptability, which hits harder even before. Whats's more, these moves already have a chance to crit. This set is completely outclassed by an adaptability Quiver Dance/Tail Glow set, which isn't even all that good. If we were doing to improve it, however, Draco Meteor>Spacial Rend due to crits ignoring spa drops.

Sorry to be all negative, especially seeing how much better this is than the old Rayquaza suggestion posted here, but that's how it is.
Sniper isn't 1,5x on top of the 1,5x from standart crit? Which would make 2,25x instead of 2x

Anyway, i tested Adaptability on the calc and the damage goes lower, look:

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Mega Rayquaza Spacial Rend vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock on a critical hit: 291-343 (79.9 - 94.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Despite this disagreement about Adaptability x Sniper i guess i agree with you on the other thing you said: Quiver Dance/Tail Glow outclasses this, and even outclassing is not that good.

Sniper isn't 1,5x on top of the 1,5x from standart crit? Which would make 2,25x instead of 2x

Anyway, i tested Adaptability on the calc and the damage goes lower, look:

252+ SpA Life Orb Adaptability Mega Rayquaza Spacial Rend vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Regirock on a critical hit: 291-343 (79.9 - 94.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Despite this disagreement about Adaptability x Sniper i guess i agree with you on the other thing you said: Quiver Dance/Tail Glow outclasses this, and even outclassing is not that good.
Yeah I derped on that. Has been fixed.

sin(pi)

lucky n bad
(copied straight off the dex but I've wanted to build around Latios for a while and I don't have any better ideas)

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Tinted Lens/Adaptability
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psystrike
- Volt Switch
- King's Shield

VS means sturdinja is not a problem

I really like using my Mega Swampert:

Swampert-Mega @ Quick Claw
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Thousand Arrows
- Filler
- Filler

Good counter against other Spore users, also he eat any grass move, what remove his only threat (only Freeze-Dry take him super effective).
Also Magic Bounce from my oponent means free boost for atack.
Atacking moves:
I use normaly Thousand Arrows for STAB, also because is really good against really huge amound of pokemons AND ignore immunity from ground move.
Two others moves:
Ice and maybe water for STAB, but also electric is good for better coverage.

EDIT 1:
Other non-common set:

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spiky Shield / (Facade?)
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Filler

This pokemon also is good counter against status pokemons.
Spicky Shield give option for sending this pokemon first, and when we are lucky - for taking free turn to activating Guts ability.
Wihout Shield - Facade is really good move for this set.
Drain Punch for healing, and Knock Off for removing item.
Last move is really free:
I use Psycho Cut for better accuracy AND crit change is better for this move, but Extreeme Speed for priority is also helpfull.

Last edited:
I really like using my Mega Swampert:

Swampert-Mega @ Quick Claw
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Thousand Arrows
- Filler
- Filler

Good counter against other Spore users, also he eat any grass move, what remove his only threat (only Freeze-Dry take him super effective).
Also Magic Bounce from my oponent means free boost for atack.
Atacking moves:
I use normaly Thousand Arrows for STAB, also because is really good against really huge amound of pokemons AND ignore immunity from ground move.
Two others moves:
Ice and maybe water for STAB, but also electric is good for better coverage.
Ditch the quick claw, please. Its never viable in any meta.

No comment on the other.

Ditch the quick claw, please. Its never viable in any meta.
Quick Claw is a option. You can always use Life Orb/Lum Berry when you want.
And sometimes safe a game. 20 % is not that low what you expect.
Maybe this item isn't the best, but can be usefull.

Also one of the best weapon in making competitive team is element of suprice. When rival didn't expect turn, where we can outspeed him, this is even better. This pokemon have a really important job: eating grass move, use Spore... and knock out eventually oposit pokemon.
When we get free outspeed on pokemon - Great. When not - still fine, when we didn't lose pokemon.

I have in my mind other strategy:

Arceus-Poison @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Void
- Inferno
- Recover
- Defog

Okay, what I say before - element of suprice.
Of corse we can go for No Guard Sing/Hypnosis, and we get more pp.
But for us more important is using Inferno in right time. When oponent didn't expect that.
Generaly Inferno is better than Will-O-Wisp when we didn't count accuracy AND pp's.
Recover for healing, Defog for removing hazards.
Over Defog, we can use Heal Bell or Aromatherapy.

bp scrub

rub a dub dub one scrub in a tub
Sceptile-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nautre
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Seed Flare
- Draco Meteor
- Blue Flare
- Spacial Rend / King's Shield

beats giratina, registeel, audino, mm2y, ohkos imposter chansey and just hits hard overall

ivs are to ensure that chansey gets killed by draco/gets revenge killed by -atespeed, but those ivs are lazy

252 SpA Life Orb Mega Sceptile Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 216-255 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Mega Sceptile Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Giratina: 510-603 (101.3 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Mega Sceptile Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Audino: 226-268 (55.1 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Adaptability Mega Sceptile Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mewtwo Y: 341-403 (96.6 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Shift Gear
- King's Shield

The landlord himself. 2HKOs max physdef giratina at +1 wuth v create. With king shield, groudon cant be stopped by mere plebs that we know as ate users. Evs to maximise damage while still outspeeding base 140s at +1 after you kill something with v create

This thing is unstoppable except by very few mons such as fur coat giratina and grass/bug type with primordial sea/flash fire

+1 252+ Atk Primal Groudon V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Giratina in Harsh Sunshine: 294-347 (58.4 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And we call that our pdon check? Now thats laughable.

Rash Nature
- Judgment
- Bolt Strike
- Boomburst
- V-create

Mixed attacker Protean Mega-Rayquaza 2HKOs every common wall in the meta except for Shedinja or Fur Coat Chansey.

Max SpA to OHKO Primal-Groudon or 2HKO Fur Coat Mega-Audino.

56 Speed lets you outspeed 252 Primal-Groudon or Kyogre.

Rest of the EVs go into Attack so you can 2HKO Flash Fire Registeel.

Rash Nature
- Judgment
- Bolt Strike
- Boomburst
- V-create

Mixed attacker Protean Mega-Rayquaza 2HKOs every common wall in the meta except for Shedinja or Fur Coat Chansey.

Max SpA to OHKO Primal-Groudon or 2HKO Fur Coat Mega-Audino.

56 Speed lets you outspeed 252 Primal-Groudon or Kyogre.

Rest of the EVs go into Attack so you can 2HKO Flash Fire Registeel.
Just out of question, why pixie plate>draco plate?

Last edited:
Yveltal @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Modest Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Earth Power
- King's Shield/ Will-o-wisp
- Quiver Dance

PH set up Yveltal set i tested right after GK ban. its eved to outspeed mmy after one boost. The is imposter proof thanks to Poison Heal and Oblivion Wing. OWing heals your Yveltal more then an Imposter, and Imposter will not be poisoned for PH. Earth Power is key Flying immune coverage, so not only can imposter not use it against us, but it also hits all of flying's key resists. King's Shield provides protection from Mega Rayquaza. WOW is the option i've used more because it wears down unaware walls that can easily PP stall this set. Quiver Dance is the crux of the whole set as it boosts special attack+defense, allowing us to hold off Imposters.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)