Other Metagames [Balanced Hackmons] Eye of the Storm

Hello there. InvisibleWater here, presenting his first RMT.

The team:

In-depth analysis:

Steelix-Mega @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
Gyro Ball
Parting Shot
Milk Drink
Rapid Spin

Mega Steelix keeps the team together. It keeps hazards off the field, checks -ate users, and punishes Shedinja for using Endeavor. Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs punishes FakeSpeeders, Gyro Ball finishes them off, and Parting Shot allows Steelix to function as a really, really slow pivot.

Gengar-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Quiver Dance
Judgment
Secret Sword
Pursuit

Mega Gengar removes Imposters and Sturdninjas so Rayquaza and Scizor can sweep. This set is the standard Mold Breaker sweeper, with one small adjustment. Quiver Dance is used instead of Shell Smash to avoid boosting Pursuit. It can be be replaced with King's Shield, Sleep Talk, or Substitute if setting up isn't needed.

Gardevoir-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
Moonblast
Wish
Heal Bell
Protect

Mega Gardevoir is the team's cleric. Magic Bounce reflects random Taunts, Hazards, and Spore,Moonblast prevents it from being set-up fodder, but it can be replaced with anything you want. I copied the EV spread from an analysis, and there's probably a better one out there. If there is, please let me know.

Blissey @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
Final Gambit
Parting Shot
Skill Swap
Spiky Shield

This is BH. It's almost impossible to build a team without an Imposter. Blissey is used instead of Chansey for the freedom of running items other than Eviolite. You won't be using any of these moves 99.9999% percent of the time, but if you have to, Parting Shot allows Blissey to pivot into another teammate, Final Gambit is a one-use nuke, and Skill Swap is for Substitute users. Forcing opponents to turn into Blisseys that can only pivot out or explode into smoldering clouds of FAIL is actually kind of funny.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
Fake Out
Extreme Speed
Boomburst
V-create

This is an ISO-standard Aerilate Mega Rayquaza. I initially went with Techno Blast instead of Boomburst, but most Soundproof users wall it anyway. V-Create prevents Mega Rayquaza from being walled by Steel-types, and the FakeSpeed combo is self-explanatory.

Scizor-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Jolly Nature
Shift Gear
Crabhammer
Knock Off
Milk Drink

Once Imposters and Sturdninjas are gone, Mega Scizor can set up and attempt to sweep. At one point, Attack Order was used instead of Knock Off, but then it ended up being walled by Giratina. The EV investment allows it to outspeed Timid Mega Mewtwo Y after a Shift Gear boost. This is probably the most expendable member of the team, and I'm open to replacing it with something that doesn't get screwed over by Imposter.

If the imposter is...

A Mega Steelix: The imposter is forced out. Both of Steelix's attacking moves are contact moves.

A Mega Gengar: You're up against a bad player. Click Judgement and it goes down.

A Mega Gardevoir: Mega Steelix and Mega Scizor wall it. Wish can be a problem, though.

A Mega Rayquaza: Mega Steelix walls it. Switch to Mega Scizor if you think it's going to use V-Create.

A Mega Scizor:
You're doomed. Mega Scizor can disable its Eviolite, but other than that, all you can do is throw Pokemon at it until it goes down.

Mold Breaker Leads:
Many of them carry Spore. Since this team doesn't have anything with Prankster, the only way to deal with them is to pray that either they or Mega Gardevoir stay alive long enough to deal with them.

Mega Mewtwo: Unless Scizor or Gengar manage to set up, most encounters with a Mega Mewtwo Y will end in a clean sweep. Mega Mewtwo X is somewhat less annoying to deal with, but if Rayquaza is down, the only way to deal with it is to win a speed tie.

Mega Gengar: I have three checks to it, but all of them are extremely shaky. If it gets a Shell Smash boost, then the only way to win is to pray that Blissey wins the speed tie.

ProofOfPeak1.png

Steelix-Mega @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Parting Shot
- Milk Drink
- Rapid Spin

Gengar-Mega @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Judgment
- Secret Sword
- Pursuit

Gardevoir-Mega @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Blissey @ Spooky Plate
Bold Nature
- Final Gambit
- Parting Shot
- Skill Swap
- Spiky Shield

Rayquaza-Mega @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- V-create

Scizor-Mega @ Leftovers
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 76 SpD / 16 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shift Gear
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Milk Drink

Hello, gratz on your first RMT :) I'm not sure how long you've been playing BH, but as someone who's been doing it for a while I can safely say that the first thing about making a good BH team is to understand the mentality behind it, so do bear with the incoming wall of text - I think it'll be extremely helpful to you.

In standard, it's very difficult to decide which mon to use on a team because each mon has a different movepool, different abilities, different stats and different typing. In BH, the process of decision-making is greatly simplified as any mon can run any ability with any movepool, so you now just need to choose pokemon based on their base stats and their typing. With that in mind, a very simple way to improve your team would be look at each mon on the team and ask yourself, "Is there another mon with better stats / typing that could run this set?" If you do this, you'll find that most of the mons on your team can be replaced with other mons that perform the same role to equal or greater effectiveness.

As an example, you chose Gardevoir to run an MBounce set. Gardevoir has generally unremarkable base stats with its only redeeming quality being a base 165 SpAtk. IMO this isn't the best pokemon to be using because it has horrible bulk, especially on the physical side, and is too slow to make good use of its base 165 SpAtk, which also isn't that powerful unboosted and uninvested. A much better mon for Magic Bounce would be a bulkier pokemon like Suicune or Mega-Audino, which have much better defenses and similar good typings, and can run Scald or Will-o-Wisp respectively to cripple opposing mons with status. I would personally recommend M-Audino as Normal/Fairy is a stellar defensive typing that resists the extremely common Ghost/Fighting coverage used by Spooky Plate sweepers.

Audino-Mega @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Will-o-Wisp
- U-turn / Parting Shot
- Slack Off
- Aromatherapy

Max SpDef investment lets it reliably take hits from mons such as Protean M-Mewtwo-Y as well as M-Latios lacking Psystrike. Aromatherapy is very nice as your M-Audino can't be Wow'd / toxic'd / spore'd / dark void'ed barring Mold Breaker. W-o-w lets it cripple opposing mons with burn too.

M-Steelix does not reliably check -ates as those often carry Fire or Ground moves to hit steels super-effectively (e.g. Magma Storm on M-Ray, which is very common). A more reliable bulky Steel would be specially defensive Registeel, which avoids getting 2HKO'd by most common -ate users even if they use supereffective coverage, can use Defog or Rapid Spin to clear hazards, and can perform a similar pivoting role with U-turn or Parting Shot (depending on whether you'd prefer to avoid being taunt bait or weaken the opposing attacker to check it more reliably.) If you did this, I would recommend giving Ray an Earth Plate and Judgment > Magma Storm to Imposter-proof it better.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- U-turn
- Destiny Bond
- Defog

A pretty standard utility Regi set, it is nonetheless very effective, being able to clear hazards while walling most common threats - as a bonus, prankster D-Bond lets it take out an opposing sweeper if necessary, serving as a last-ditch check to Imposter-proof set-up sweepers who would otherwise wreck your team.

Blissey is usually inferior to Chansey as Chansey can beat many more pokemon with Eviolite buffing its defenses. Spooky Plate would indeed let you check opposing M-Gengar or spooky plate + protean M-Mewtwo-Y, but you already have M-Ray which beats both of those with powerful FakeSpeed. I suggest you run a standard Eviolite Chansey instead. Also, the moveset could be optimised - as you said, most of the time the moves will be irrelevant, but there are instances where Imposter fails. Notably, against an Illusion mon or a mon behind a sub. Fake Out handily breaks Illusion for free and Skill Swap shuts down opposing substitute sweepers. Whirlwind is good to phaze a set-up Multitype Arceus behind a sub (which can't be Skill Swapped).

Chansey @ Eviolite
Happiness: 40
Impish Nature
- Fake Out
- Roost
- Skill Swap
- Whirlwind

Final Gambit is somewhat gimmicky as you usually don't want to lose your Imposter - I'd suggest other moves such as Roost or Haze or Metal Burst which have some situational use. 128 Happiness is used as a midway point between Return and Frustration, ensuring you can always do a decent amount of damage whichever your opponent decides to use.

Lastly, IMO, M-Scizor should be removed entirely. As you yourself have acknowledged, an Imposter that copies your Scizor will sweep your whole team without much trouble seeing as it has a way to boost, reliable recovery and good coverage. Unfortunately there are very few boosting sweepers that don't auto-lose to Imposter, and you already have M-Gengar and Ray as usable sweepers / revenge killers in either case. Notably, you also have a very glaring weakness to physical attackers in general - Poison Heal T-Tar, Poison Heal Regigigas, Poison Heal Arceus and Poison Heal Slaking can all set up on you (e.g. against Steelix, M-Garde, or M-Sciz) or take a hit and knock you out (e.g. against M-Rayquaza, M-Gar and Blissey). To fix this I'd suggest running Giratina on your last slot - this mon, together with M-Audino and Registeel forms a solid defensive core which you can use to pivot into your strong attackers (M-Gar and M-Quaza).

Giratina @ Safety Goggles / Griseous Orb / Toxic Orb
Ability: Fur Coat / Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SpDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk, 0 Spe
- Milk Drink
- Scald
- Haze
- U-turn

Minimum speed gives you a slow pivot to safely bring in M-Quaza or M-Gar against, say, M-Mewtwo-X and force it out while potentially getting a QD on Gar or chip damage on their M-Ray counter.

Anyway sorry if it was really long but this should help you drastically improve your team. Toodles~

I don't have much to say as Zeronix impressive rate covered almost everything, just wanted to add that Chansey can bluff other items even if it doesn't have Eviolite, so even if you keep using Spooky Plate (King's Shield on Mega Gengar is annoying but Ray still 2HKOes at -2, the problem is MMY imo, due to Protean type change to Steel allowing to tank a hit even if you didn't hit the Shield, then OHKO back) Chansey is superior. I still think Eviolite is better though.
Also run 248HP EVs on Chansey and not 252 to hit 703HP, which is a Stealth Rock number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)