XY OU Balanced OU team (Mega Venusaur/Heatran Core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the OU metagame draws to a close, I haven't been playing much pokemon, rather, I've been waiting for ORAS. But I decided to make another team, just for the hell of it.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

Alright, leading off the team is part one of our Mega Venusaur and Heatran core, Venusaur. Now, I'm pretty plain and simple here. I went for the strategy pokedex recommended moveset, and it works ok. I'm not sure about Leech Seed, and I haven't found much use for it, but I don't really have anything better.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 68 SpA / 192 SpD /
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Part 2 is a bit more interesting. I didn't put in the 64 speed ev's because mega venusaurs often run earthquake to deal with heatran now, and suicune isn't seen much. Instead, I put them into SpA to hit harder. I'm running protect over taunt because of breloom. For grass types, Heatran is my best solution. But if I switch into a breloom's mach punch, I'm in trouble. It'll barely 2hko me, but if I can protect for an extra turn of leftovers, I can live the next mach punch and respond with Lava Plume to ko.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Knock Off

SO CUTE :33333333333. *ahem* Azumarill is a decent sweeper, and can take some serious hits with the assault vest. I've been dodging between this and a band, but I think Assault Vest works better purely for the ability to tank more hits.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry

Mamoswine is one of the best pokemon to work with the mega venusaur/heatran core. It checks the Lati's nicely, and mega venusaur can tank water and fighting type attacks easily. Mamoswine in return can threaten opposing heatran and tyranitar. Heatran can switch into scizor and take out skarmory, which are handy, and with Freeze-dry, mamoswine can take out rotom-w.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

Revenge killing swag. Close Combat and Stone edge for STAB, Earthquake for swags, and X-scissor to hit psychic types that I otherwise might have trouble with.

Zapdos
Ability: Pressure
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

The 6th slot was easily the hardest for me to decide. For a while I was leaning towards a dark or ghost type to try to take out psychics, but I also wanted to be able to remove hazards. Zapdos was the answer I eventually came up with. It's not perfect, but it works well. Thunderbot for STAB, roost to heal damage from rocks, defog removes aforementioned rocks, and u-turn gets me out there, and also helps deal with the psychic types I seem to have trouble with.

Hey max, cool team you got; the VenuTran core is a very good core indeed. However, I found a pretty glaring weakness on your team to Mega Medicham, Megacham is able to 2hko every single member on your team, and even OHKO's the majority of your team after SR damage with no member on your team able to OHKO it outright besides Azumarill who has to eat a Zen Headbutt which as I said before has a chance to OHKO after SR.
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 288-339 (83.4 - 98.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 302-356 (82.9 - 97.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 738-870 (191.6 - 225.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 208-246 (54.1 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

To remedy this problem, I'm proposing the addition of Slowbro to your team to complete the fire, water, grass defensive core and also to have the primary defensive counter to Megacham. I'm not sure what you would like to swap on your team for it, or if you want to add Bro in at all, but I think that either Azumarill or Zapdos would be fine to have switched. I think that Zapdos would be a better option to switch because of the fact that Slowbro can fill the Zapdos's role of a bird check due to its fantastic physical defense which allows it to tank any unboosted hit from Pinsir and boosted hits from Talonflame. However, if you do switch out Zapdos, you will have to find another form of hazard removal which I think could be along the lines of Terrakion ---> Scarf Excadrill.

252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 131-154 (33.2 - 39%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 80-95 (20.3 - 24.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave/Ice Beam/Fire Blast

Hope I helped, I understand these are some pretty big changes, but I think they're for the best.

Hello this is a pretty good team :] I definitely agree with the above user that you have a rather large Mega Medicham weakness. However, changing it to Slowbro would mean that his team would lack a hazard control pokemon, and AV Azumarill really appreciates having most of its health in tact. I would change Zapdos to Mew. Mew is capable of taking repeated hits from Mega Medicham and also has reliable recovery and also has Defog, which patches up your team's weakness.

Hope I helped, and good luck with the team!

Hello this is a pretty good team :] I definitely agree with the above user that you have a rather large Mega Medicham weakness. However, changing it to Slowbro would mean that his team would lack a hazard control pokemon, and AV Azumarill really appreciates having most of its health in tact. I would change Zapdos to Mew. Mew is capable of taking repeated hits from Mega Medicham and also has reliable recovery and also has Defog, which patches up your team's weakness.

Hope I helped, and good luck with the team!
Change it to Mew, and his team will get ran over by Mega Pinsir.

Change it to Mew, and his team will get ran over by Mega Pinsir.
He does have terrakion to rk. Furthermore if it runs CC (it should!), heatran can also eat a CC and retaliate with Lava Plume. Azumarill can also take a full return and do enough damage back. Mamoswine can also pick off weakened pinsir with ice shard. Mew can wisp. I think the team deals ok with pinsir imo

Mega Pinsir at +2 OHKOes everyone on the team if you run mew.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Mega Venusaur: 624-734 (171.4 - 201.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 566-668 (147 - 173.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 948-1116 (246.2 - 289.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 595-702 (148.3 - 175%) -- guaranteed OHKO
2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 595-702 (165.7 - 195.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pinsir: 148-174 (54.6 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Pinsir has to be severely weakened for mamoswine to revenge kill)
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Terrakion: 541-637 (167.4 - 197.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 495-583 (122.5 - 144.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Not even zapdos can switch in
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 214-252 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Also btw you're zapdos has no EVs lol

Now for my actual rate:
As everyone has noted, you have a glaring weakness to both mega pinsir and mega medicham, and there is no mon that can counter both except mega slowbro but that's ORAS. I think the best you can do is to have checks to both. So, I recommend Scarf Latios over Zapdos. Scarf Latios serves as a check to both mega medicham and mega pinsir, and can also still defog if the scarf has been tricked off. Also, for your terrakion, I recommend HP Ice over Earthquake. Earthquake is only used to hit aegi and doublade. Aegislash is banned, and Doublade is an RU mon and not very relevant in OU except for some small niches on stall teams. HP Ice hits Gliscor, Lando-t and Garchomp, and the only thing that you will be missing with earthquake is Charizard-x, which is already revenge killed by scarf latios.
That's about it, hope I helped you :)

tl;dr
Zapdos ---> Scarf Latios
Earthquake ---> HP Ice
Here is the set for scarf latios:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

*blows kisses*

Thank you all so much for your help. I've read through this a couple times now to think it over, and I think I'm going to try firehusky's advice. Having a solid check to both medicham-m and pinsir-m is handy, and not having to put a slot into another phys defensive pokemon just isn't appealing. Plus mew is kina ugly. I'll add the changes as soon as I can.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello.
Your descriptions are too short to fit the RMT rules requirements.
I encourage you to PM me an updated version of this team with beefed up descriptions, and if you're new to this, join the Mentor Program. I'll be unlocking this thread after that.

Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)