1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Balanced Sandstorm

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by KarateF22, Oct 3, 2012.

1. KarateF22

KarateF22

I decided to try my hand at ubers. Knowing that weather is a dominant force in ubers, I decided to create a weather team myself. However, while every team out there expects rain and sun, not every team is properly equipped to handle a sandstorm team, and so that is what I decide to create.

First, I needed a sandstorm generator. Hippowdon wasn't really what I wanted, as he was too stallish for the team I had in mind. Tyranitar, on the other hand, hit hard and had some utility as a choice band user.
    [​IMG]
    Next I needed someone who could really abuse the sandstorm, something which could strike fear into the opponent if they get sloppy or setup for too long. Excadrill fit the bill with his titanic attack and excellent speed under sand.
    [​IMG]
    I now had two pokemon weak to water, so I needed something that resisted that. Arceus-Grass fit the bill and had the cool bonus of scaring off both Groudon and Kyogre all by itself.
    [​IMG]
    I needed something which could take Ice Beams and Draco Meteors very well, while not adding to my two fire weaknesses. Heatran fit the bill with his excellent typing.
    [​IMG]
    I wanted a wish passer to keep my team healthy in the face of entry hazards. I also still somewhat needed some special bulk. Blissey fits the bill quite well, I did consider Chansey but I need the passive recovery of leftovers if I am to fight in the sand.
    [​IMG]
    Lastly I needed a revenge killer. Something that could take on even highly boosted mons and slay them to prevent further harm to my team. I considered Wobbuffett, but did not really like his style. Then I found Scarved Imposter Ditto, and I was immediately hooked. Not only did Scarved Imposter Ditto revenge kill, he could scout and even sweep if he steals the right boosts at the right time. Ditto well deserves the spot on my team.
    [​IMG]

The Team at a glance:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 Atk / 192 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Low Kick
    - Pursuit

Obviously, the first step to creating a Sandstorm team is to have a sandstorm pokemon. Hippowdon was briefly considered, but I wanted something that could take advantage of all the paralysis Arceus-Grass would be spewing, and so I selected Choice Band Tyranitar. Once the enemy team is nice and paralyzed, Tyranitar can mercilessly punch holes in the enemy team. He also serves as a check to many choice users provided they select a move Ttar can switch into.

Back at ya. (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Imposter
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    - Transform

Ditto is my check to setup users and also serves as a scout against pokemon who are simply too versatile to read, such as Arceus and Mew. If I am unable to stop a setup from occuring, Ditto's glorious ability, Imposter, allows me to steal all their stat boosts and revenge kill them, possibly even sweeping their team if its late in the game. Considering the large number of dragon types that carry moves super-effective against themselves, you can see how devastating this would be. If the enemy has certain late game sweepers such as Blaziken, it is vital to keep ditto alive and intact until he can step in to revenge them.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Iron Head
    - Swords Dance

Excadrill serves as both an early to mid game revenge killer and a late game sweeper. Under the sand he outpaces even the lightning fast Deoxys-S, and with his titanic 404 attack and excellent typing he causes trouble for just about everything not named Groudon. Later in the game, I can switch him into a move-locked or defensive mon and setup swords dance, if their weather changers are dead at that point it is usually game over.

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Seismic Toss
    - Protect
    - Wish
    - Toxic

Blissey serves as my special wall to everything but Specs Kyogre. She can slap toxic onto enemy pokemon and also allows my team to pivot to another pokemon under Wish support. Her bulk allows me to take on the likes of zekrom forms which could otherwise wreck my team.

Arceus-Grass @ Meadow Plate
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Multitype
    EVs: 252 HP / 144 SDef / 112 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Grass Knot
    - Recover
    - Thunder Wave

After the tintinnabulation completes, the enemy stares in utter horror at what is likely to be one of the best Groudon and Kyogre slayers in the game. Rock Polish Groudon cannot OHKO Arceus-G with either Overheat or Fire Punch, and even Choice Band Groudon has only the tiniest chance of a OHKO with Fire Punch in the Sun; Swords Dance Groudon is simply too slow to prevent Arceus from using Grass Knot. Kyogre can hurt Arceus with Ice Beam, but unless it is boosted it fails to 2HKO, allowing Arceus to Thunder Wave, Grass Knot, or simply switch out. If Kyogre runs a Scarf set, it is too weak to truly threaten Arceus, while if it runs a Specs set, it is too slow to outpace the inevitable grass knot.

Heatran @ Leftovers
    [​IMG]
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SDef / 8 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Lava Plume
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Substitute
    - Stealth Rock

Heatran checks a variety of threats and is one of few that resists the excellent coverage provided by Dragon/Fire. I can switch him into special attackers relying on this as their means of damage (or simply a scarved draco meteor) then setup a substitute and/or stealth rock. After that, I use Lava Plume to cripple physical attackers or dragon pulse to strip a large chunk of hitpoints off of the abundant dragon types in uber.

Thanks for taking the time to read my team, let me know what you think!
  2. jackm

jackm

Well, I don't have a lot of time to rate right now, but I'll do my best.

Reading through this, I noticed several possible problems in the team"s defensive structure; that said, I think that one simple change can help you enormously. You have 4 relevant (not ditto) weaknesses to Fighting and no resists; as such, certain threats including Terrakion and Arceus-Fight could potentially ravage your team by exploiting it. To remedy this, I recommend replacing Ditto with Giratina-O. While you do lose the terrific utility that Ditto brings to the table, the current team really needs a way to deal with stall. A Giratina/Chansey core pretty much single-handedly runs all over your team right now. In addition to its immunity to Fighting, Giratina-O would also act as a glue of sorts for your team, being immune to Ground (you have 3 weaknesses) and spinblocking to prevent Genesect from having quite as much of a field day with you. Finally, it checks the Extremekiller and Groudon quite well, allowing you to take some of the pressure off of Arceus-Grass.

Also, you should probably change Blissey to Chansey. I know it's more susceptible to residual damage, but the difference in bulk is huge. That's all I have time for for today.

Giratina-O set (penned today by yours truly to fit your team)
    Show Hide
    Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 20 Spd / 236 SAtk
    Naughty Nature
    - Dragon Tail
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Shadow Sneak
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)