Balanced/semi-offense team: "Charizard and the Bouncers" - RMT

Introduction

Hi, everyone, DoctorA here, with my first XY-Team! At first I was highly sceptical about the new generation, since I played Gen. 5 for so long. But the new mechanics are perfectly balanced in fact, so I quickly fell in love with Gen. 6. I had a (rather crappy) team first, for testing purposes of course. But then I got into team building and this is the result. Without further talk I present you my first (not crappy, I hope) XY-OU-Team.

By the way: I am not a native English speaker, so If you should find a spelling/grammar mistake, feel free to correct me!

At a glance...

First of all: "The Bouncers" means "Die Rausschmeisser" (speak: rouse [like house] and shmicer [like slicer] - rouseshmicer) in German (brilliant deduction, Watson, I am from Germany); "Die Rausschmeißer" is one of my favorite bands, so I thought this would be a funny team name!

As you see, this is a rather balanced team; I call it "semi-offense", since stalling is really not the purpose of this team at all, but it isn't a "heavy-offense-all-out-attacking-wrecking team" either, you get what I mean. No, the purpose of this team is heavy team support for the offensive core composed of Mega-Charizard Y, Gengar and Excadrill, whereby Mega-Charizard Y is the "star" of the whole team. The team support is provided by my supportive-defensive core which is Skarmory, Sylveon and Smeargle (and Excadrill to an extent, as you will see).

The Team in Detail...

Gengar (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

Gengar is obviously my offensive spinblocker. I put in in first place, because it might "confuse" your opponent in team preview, since leading with Smeargle would be pretty obvious...
There isn't too much to say about this one, I chose Sludge Wave over Focus Blast, because it is more reliable concerning the accuracy and hits Fairies for super effective damage, as well as random Grass types. Focus Blast isn't that necessary anymore, since you can hit Steel types hard with Shadow Ball, since most of them are only physically defensive. Destiny Bond is a great move for catching some slower offensive behemoths like Non-Dragon-Dance-Salamence/Tyranitar, Manaphy, Mega-Pinsir and the likes off-guard. Gengar can also catch a nasty Fighting type move aimed at Excadrill.

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Destiny Bond

Smeargle is the pokemon I usually lead with, but I put it not in the first spot because of team preview, as I already mentioned.
Once again, a pretty standard suicide lead, although with one neat trick: Destiny Bond destroys all the defensive Pokemon who have usually only one or two attacking moves like opponent Sylveon, Vaporeon Goodra, Skarmory and friends, who think they can simply kill 1-HP-Smeargle.
Stealth Rock is for all those Charizards and Talonflames running rampart in the current metagame, and Sticky Web is invaluable for Mega-Charizard Y's and Excadrill's sweeps, giving them an advantage over scarfed pokemon and over Greninja especially, who ruined my day very often.

Sylveon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Sylveon is my cleric and main supporter. Thanks to its great ability Pixilate (Normal-type attacks become Fairy-type) it can also hit Dragons hard, while passing decent 196-HP-Wishes to Excadrill and Gengar, negating the latter's Life Orb damage and absorbing Outrages, Dragon Claws and Draco Meteors who would kill the majority of my team. Protect + Wish also means reliable Recovery for Sylveon itself. Heal Bell is self-explanatory, I hope.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Your No. 1 choice physical wall since Generation 2, no less a figure than good ol' Skarmory. Although Ghost and Dark type moves made his life much harder than ever (yes, looking at you Knock Off!), Skarmory still takes physical hits like a champ. I decided to fully invest in Defense, since moves like Shadow Ball now threat Skarmory even more. I leave that to Sylveon, and if Smeargle is still alive it can also switch into Ghost type moves without harm.
No entry hazards on this set, that's why I use Taunt+Whirlwind, stopping Baton Passers like Vaporeon and the likes in their tracks. I bumped some EVs into attack so Brave Bird is a decent attacking option.

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

I love Excadrill! It combines defense, being immune to Electric type and Ground type (Air Balloon) moves and taking Normal type moves like a boss, utility, being able to use Rapid Spin, and offense, by shutting down would-be-counters like Rotom-W with Mold Breaker and providing great coverage in Earthquake and Rock Slide. Iron Head is a great STAB-Move against Sylveon and other Fairies.

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Last, but not least, the star of the team, the head-rouseshmicer: climbing up the usage lists like Reinhold Messner climbed the Mt. Everest, Mega-Charizard Y is nothing to toy with. It is immune to all entry hazards, except Stealth Rock, resists Fire, Fighting and Fairy type move, so even being a dedicated sweeper, it can take a hit or two. When Excadrill and Gengar have done some sweeping work and Sticky Web is on the field, there is not much that can stop Mega-Charizard Y. Drought negates its Water weakness, so it can take a Choice-Band-Azumarill's Aqua Jet and Greninja's Life-Orb-Hydropump and KO with Solar Beam. Focus Blast even kills Mega-Tyranitar in Sandstorm, despite its obscene bulk. Finally, Fire Blast completely annihilates foes that don't resist it. Roost is for negating Stealth Rock damage and general recovery. A great pokemon all in all!

Final thoughts...

Actually I suck at teambuilding, but this team peaked at 1513, not too shabby. I am glad that I was able at least to make a competitive team in Generation 6. As I mentioned above, I am not too experienced yet in the XY-Metagame.

Still, there are some things I am uncertain about:

• Some other move (e.g. Focus Blast) over Thunderbolt or Destiny Bond on Gengar
  • Spikes or back up Stealth Rocks over Taunt on Skarmory
  • Assault Vest over Air Ballon on Excadrill
  • Air Slash over Focus Blast on Mega-Charizard Y

So, that's it, my first XY RMT! If you liked my team, you can use and alter it according to your wishes.
I hope you enjoyed reading. Smell ya later!

Importable:

Code:
Gengar (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Focus Blast

- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Destiny Bond

Sylveon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Pixilate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 32 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Roost

Excadrill (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

- Sticky Web
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat

Now u can bounce back priority taunt by thundy and sableye. Or simply bounce back rocks against ferrothorn. Seriously, this helps a lot.

U have skarmory against physical mons, why u don' move all sylveon evs in special def?

And run jolly on excadrill, he is really slow.

For your final questions:

1 Even with focus blast, gengar is walled by chansey. Steel didn't resist against ghost like gen 5.
2 Taunt can help against defogger (no latwins).
3 I would suggest a choice scarf for exca, even with AS the only thing u can wall are special walls.
4 U can do more damage with fire blast in the sun over air slash even against mons weak x2 against flying.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)