XY OU Balanced Team needs a Tilt

Hello everyone. This is a team I quickly put together a few weeks ago. It's balanced, because I can't play any other style. To be honest this team is very much a "jack of all trades, master of none" enterprise but it has been performing okay considering that very little planning went into its creation. I know that it's far from solid or even "good" though, and I'm curious what other (better) players would do in order to improve it.

AT A GLANCE:
Latias / Mamoswine / Heatran / Sylveon / Tentacruel / Manectric​

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid | Levitate
252 Spe, 184 SpAtk, 72 HP
~ Draco Meteor
~ Psyshock
~ Defog (formerly CM)
~ Roost (formerly TBolt)

Second Version of my Latias. Used to be CM 3 Attacks (DPulse, Psyshock & TBolt), now runs Defog and Roost with Draco Meteor for added attacking prowess. Psyshock helps me with Keldeo, and still Latias gives this team much needed resistance/immunity to Water/Ground.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive | Thick Fat
240 Atk, 252 Spe, 16 SpAtk
~ Earthquake
~ Ice Shard
~ Rock Slide
~ Freeze-Dry (formerly Icicle Crash)

Mamoswine, my favorite Pokémon. A staple on all my OU teams, and also a truly underrated threat (imho) with that magical Ice/Ground dual STAB. Mamos job is just to hit hard as hell, check Dragons, make the opponent weep, and then hit hard some more. EQ for its most powerful STAB, Ice Shard for priority, Rock Slide (over Stone Edge for accuracy) for switch-ins like Gyarados, Balloon Heatran and Rotom-Heat/Wash, and Icicle Crash for when I need my Ice STAB to hit a lot harder than Ice Shard, like against a full health Gliscor or Goodra, for instance. Recently switched to Freeze-Dry for SE hits on Rotom-W and Gyarados. Still testing. Naive nature so I can outspeed +Atk nature Lucario and Dragonite, and +Spe Heatran, Bisharp and Breloom.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest | Flash Fire
252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 6 SpDef
~ Lava Plume
~ Earth Power
~ Toxic
~ Stealth Rock

Well this thing clearly doesn't know that it wants. Does it run max special attack and speed? Yes. But it also sets up rocks and toxics stuff? Yes. Well, regardless this Heatran has been working out rather well for me. The speed along with 252 SpAtk is really nice to have when you net yourself a Flash Fire boost and fire off them powerful Lava Plumes, which I chose over Fire Blast and Flamethrower for the high burn chance and 100% accuracy, modest nature giving me that extra oomph to really hurt things. I can run modest because while timid 'tran is a thing, most of them are calm natured and I can EP them before they can do anything back (and I can usually tell whether they're calm or not if they switched into my Latias beforehand). On the other hand fast toxic and rocks is A+ against Mandibuzz which could otherwise taunt and wall me.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Calm | Cute Charm
252 HP, 184 SpDef, 72 SpAtk
~ Moonblast
~ Protect (formerly HP Fire)
~ Heal Bell
~ Wish

I wanted something with Wish support, mosty for Heatran and Tentacruel. The latter especially, since my Tenta lacks any recovery. I also like to have a cleric, and Sylveon could provide both these things. Sylveon is also nice to have for its Dark resist...Fairy in general is just always a great typing to have. Moonblast over Hyper Voice because I love the chance for SpAtk drops on something like incoming Heatran. HP Fire in slot 2 has since been changed to Protect for more reliable Wish recovery.

Tentacruel @ Assault Vest
Bold | Liquid Ooze
252 HP, 208 Def, 48 SpDef
~ Scald
~ Sludge Bomb
~ Knock Off
~ Acid Spray (formerly Rapid Spin)

Now this thing I really enjoy using. Crazy SpDef with AssVest. Good answer to huge threats Keldeo and Greninja. Gets hurt by Leech Seed but shares the pain. Receives Wish support from Sylveon. Can afford to stay in even on Rotom-Wash if it's at good health and go for another knock off. Does a lot of useful things, except for KOing stuff, but that's its teammate's job anyway. Used to Rapid Spin, now has Acid Spray so I can better deal with Clefable which otherwise kind of craps on me.

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid | Lightningrod
252 SpAtk, 252 Spe, 6 HP
~ Thunderbolt
~ Flamethrower
~ Hidden Power (Ice)
~ Charge Beam

My fast and powerful clean up lady. Not a lot so say here, except that I use Charge Beam to get a possible +1 against weakened targets and proceed to sweep. Flamethrower for coverage on Grass types, HP Ice for Grounds and Dragons.

Last edited:
Hey ~ ~ ~

Your team isn't bad imo, but you probably to change some of your current moveset in order to make it better. At first, your current Latias set doesn't really fit in the XY OU tier itself because every Steel-type or Fairy-type can beat you. Clefable is everywhere, and things like Ferrothorn and Scizor are common as well, and neither of them will allow you to have a free sweep. If you want a Calm Mind user, Latios is generally better, having better statistics of attacks. I would probably use a set of Calm Mind / Dragon Pulse / Psyshock / HP Fire with a Life Orb that lets you to beat some of Latias' current counters like Scizor and Ferrothorn, Clefable can't switch-in safely on this Latios either because Life Orb Psyshock hurts. Heatran is still a problem of course and so is Tyranitar but you can deal with them with the rest of the team I guess so they aren't big problems. Now, looking at your Sylveon, you should use Pixilate with Hyper Voice instead of Moonblast because it's just stronger, you also really want Protect on it, so replace HP Fire which is less important move there. Then, your Manectric wants Volt Switch, which is helpful to both gain momentum and switch in front of threats it can't beat. Otherwise Charge Beam isn't very helpful and it is a bad move in general, being too weak to do any consistent damage so you probably want to remove it. Finally, you can run Acid Spray somewhere on your Tentacruel to beat CM Clefable which is indeed a threat for your team, and Protect on your Heatran as well, which is an incredibily helpful move, being able to recover HP with Leftovers and to scout Choice user's moves, since opponing Heatran aren't super problems having both Mamoswine and Tentacruel which can deal with it (even if they completely walls Latios, Sylveon and your Heatran can't touch them as well if you decide to remove Earth Power), you can use Protect instead of Earth Power and see how it works.

Hope I helped you, good luck with your team. Cheers~ ~

Your team isn't bad imo, but you probably to change some of your current moveset in order to make it better. At first, your current Latias set doesn't really fit in the XY OU tier itself because every Steel-type or Fairy-type can beat you. Clefable is everywhere, and things like Ferrothorn and Scizor are common as well, and neither of them will allow you to have a free sweep. If you want a Calm Mind user, Latios is generally better, having better statistics of attacks. I would probably use a set of Calm Mind / Dragon Pulse / Psyshock / HP Fire with a Life Orb
Thank you for your reply.

It is true, CM Latias has been pretty underwhelming so far ("The set doesn't fit in the OU Metagame" is a strangely accurate way of putting it), but I don't think changing it to Latios would make a world of difference. I am still very fond of the resistances it brings, so I decided to keep it and give it a new pourpose as a fast Defog user, replacing Calm Mind with Defog and TBolt with Roost. Also gave it a Life Orb instead of Lefties to give its attacks a boost when needed (And Roost does the healing now).

With Latias now removing hazards I also replaced Rapid Spin on Tentacruel with Acid Spray as you suggested, because Clefable was indeed one of my biggest Problems.

True about HP Fire on Sylveon; changed to Protect.

Going to keep Charge Beam on Manectric for now. I know it's not standard and somewhat situational but it is really good when it works out. I'm happy with it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)