Balancing Scald - New Mechanics (see post #125)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
After much deliberation with Hikari and the UU Council, we have come to a conclusion that should effectively balance Scald in UU. From now on, Scald has a chance to faint the user. We have implemented this change on Pokemon Showdown for UU only. An example of this mechanic can be found here.

The chance of the user fainting is not constant. Instead, we have contracted a company to create a formula to determine how much a user is 'fishing for a burn'. The more likely you are fishing for a burn, the more likely you are to faint. For example, Scalding against an Entei is a good play and has almost zero chance to faint the user. However, if two Tentacruels stay in against each other and Scald, they will both have a high chance to faint. As you can see, this mechanic was added in order to encourage more thought in battling and add a little risk to Scald.

We hope this fixes everyone's problems and creates a better meta. Think twice before clicking Scald!

So will we see Scald Suicune randomly fainting mid-sweep?
On a serious note, Im actually pretty excited about this test. It'll be cool seeing what mons will keep Scaldicide and which will switch to Surf and stay alive at the cost of no burn. But I'll have to ladder to see how much I really like it...
and ou thinks they test crazy shit lol

also 100 posts woop only took like 3 years

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
NOPE

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

NO THANKS

how will folks like poor stunfisk get by with only scald? please, consider the innocent. also, emboar loses water coverage when he uses scald. please, consider the innocent who have to scrape by with scald. thanks.

This seems like a good way to balance out the move. However, I believe it would also be a good idea to bring down Serperior from BL to check the numerous about of overcentralizing water-types that will inevitably plague the metagame with this change.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
how will folks like poor stunfisk get by with only scald? please, consider the innocent. also, emboar loses water coverage when he uses scald. please, consider the innocent who have to scrape by with scald. thanks.
that's what scald wasn't banned, only rebalanced. come on now

having played a good ~20 battles in that tier with sam, I can attest to the fact that it's an excellent metagame, probably the best post gen 4 tier I've ever played. I really hope other tiers adopt it! :)

Dad's Dad

Banned deucer.
The last thing smogon needs to do right now is ban another move. That'll just make newer players give smogon more shit than it already gets. This is a much better alternative and it'll create a healthier meta imo.
How is mons randomly dying by using the only move they have a healthier meta? I think it'd make more sense to just ban the move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)