UU Banette

CrushinDefeat

Defeat me if you can... Survive if I let you!

Boo!

Overview
########
Be on the look out for this sinister foe, as the Marionette Pokemon is back with a new bag of tricks! Banette is a Pokemon that isn't easy to use. Banette's stats, aside from its attack, are lackluster. It has very little offensive capability, and is not a threat to many Pokemon. However, Banette got a Mega Evolution in XY to help it against its new competition. Mega Banette's new ability, Prankster, allows it to take advantage of all kinds of non-damaging moves. Banette also receives a huge buff to its Attack and a slight buff to its defenses in its Mega Evolved form. Mega Banette can now lead and can cause opponents trouble with Prankster Destiny Bond. However, Mega Banette still suffers from low Speed and subpar defenses. It also has a small movepool and a lack of reliable recovery. Banette is severely outclassed by Sableye, which not only has a wider movepool but actually has access to reliable recovery, while Mega Banette suffers from having four-moveslot syndrome; usually not being able to use all the moves it wants to use and having to use move sets that are based on the moves it generally runs.Another issue with Banette is that Prankster doesn't come into effect on the turn that it Mega Evolves; Mega Banette must wait a turn for its much desired ability in order to function properly. However, Banette can still manage to scare up the competition with its newfound strength and ability.

Prankster
########
name: Prankster
move 1: Taunt
move 2: Will-O-Wisp / Thunder Wave
move 3: Shadow Claw / Shadow Sneak / Knock Off
move 4: Destiny Bond
ability: Frisk
item: Banettite
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
Taunt allows Mega Banette to stop entry hazard setters dead in their tracks, while also shutting down any offensive leads that attempt to set up. Prankster Will-O-Wisp is used to get a quick burn on opponents, crippling physical attackers. Alternatively, slowing down opponents with Thunder Wave can help Mega Banette outspeed them and hit them with its own attacks. STAB Shadow Claw deals good damage coming off of its massive base 165 Attack, but Shadow Sneak can be used for priority and picking off weakened opponents. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to remove opponent's items. Destiny Bond works incredibly well with Prankster; if all else fails, this is your kill switch. Frisk allows you to scout for items such as Focus Sash, Assault Vest, and Leftovers that Knock Off can remove.

Set Details
========
252 EVs are invested in HP since Mega Banette needs to be able to take a hit to make up for its low Speed and frail defenses, while 252 Attack EVs allow it to hit relatively hard. Running Frisk on Banette allows you to scout out the opponent's items to get a sense of what they're planning: finding items such as Berries, Choice items, and Focus Sashes will give you an idea of how the opponent will use that Pokemon. Banettite is the best item for Banette; not only does Banette get a 100 base stat total boost, but it also gains the much needed Prankster, which is the only reason that Mega Banette is viable in the first place. Lastly, Mega Banette will want to run an Adamant nature to ensure that it can take full advantage of its newfound Attack without sacrificing Speed or bulk. An alternate spread of 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe can be run in order to allow Banette to outspeed Pokemon like Suicune and effectively spin-block Blastoise, granted that it doesn't predict the switch in. However, this spread reduces Banette's overall bulk, so it should be used to remove Blastoise if hazard blocking is necessary for your team's success.

Usage Tips
========
Mega Banette doesn't gain Prankster on its first turn, so try to Mega Evolve it as soon as possible. Mega Banette works well mid-game, when it can whittle down the opponent's team with Will-O-Wisp. Use Taunt on the opponent to prevent them from setting up when they predict you to use Destiny Bond or Will-O-Wisp. Prankster Destiny Bond allows you to instantly shut down a sweep only once, so use this wisely. However, most of the time Destiny Bond is obvious, so it's always important to figure out when to use it, since it's sometimes difficult to determine whether or not a opponent may attack, use a status move, or set up. Avoid wasting Destiny Bond on weakened Pokemon; conserve it to get rid of stronger foes. Using status moves and switching out can be great for allowing bulkier teammates to set up on burned or Taunted Pokemon, so burning or paralyzing an opponent and then making a switch can really put pressure on an opponent while giving you the edge.

Team Options
========
Due to its limited movepool, Mega Banette can't provide its teammates with too much help, so it relies more on its team members instead. Mega Banette is vulnerable to Dark-types, so having bulkier teammates like Cobalion or hard-hitting teammates like Lucario to take a Knock Off is appreciated; not only can it benefit them if they have the Justified ability, but it can also get Mega Banette out of difficult situations. Other good teammates that can take hits are Florges and Umbreon, as they both resist Dark-type moves. Florges has great Special Defense, while Umbreon can take both physical and special attacks nicely. Florges and Umbreon can also provide support for Banette with Wish and Heal Bell / Aromatherapy in case you want Mega Banette to last longer and wreak more havoc.

Other Options
########
Mega Banette can also run a number of alternative options. Mega Banette can run Trick Room to support slower team members. Not only does Mega Banette gain a speed advantage from this, having both speed and priority, but this can also be beneficial because it can stop faster sweepers in their tracks. Mega Banette can also use Confuse Ray to possibly gain some free turns. Curse can be used to force the opponent to switch out, which is great for racking up residual damage and swinging the momentum in your favor. Torment and Disable are also troublesome for the opponent, as restricting their options is always useful. Other status moves such as Toxic can be annoying as well. Protect is a very good move for ensuring that Banette can safely Mega Evolve and is also valuable for scouting out an opponent's moveset. Moves like Sucker Punch and Pain Split can also surprise opponents as well. Sucker Punch can be used as a Dark-type priority move, while Pain Split in conjunction with Substitute can slowly diminish the HP of bulky opponents. Gunk Shot allows Mega Banette to take out pesky Fairy-types such as Florges and Aromatisse. Phantom Force is another alternative choice to use, as it is a very strong STAB move. Vanishing on the first turn may also prove useful, sparing Mega Banette a turn of damage.

Checks & Counters
########
**Faster Prankster Users** Quicker Prankster users like Whimsicott and Meowstic can cause Mega Banette problems by outspeeding it.

**Dark-types** Mega Houndoom, Mega Absol, and Hydreigon are bad news for Mega Banette, as they are faster and stronger than it. Mega Houndoom and Mega Absol can counter Mega Banette completely with their Speed, abilities, and power. These Pokemon also have access to Dark Pulse, Knock Off, and Sucker Punch, which are red flags for Mega Banette.

**Bulky Fire-types** Fast Fire-types such as Arcanine and Entei can check Mega Banette since it can't use Will-O-Wisp on them. While not the most ideal option, Rotom-H can also check Mega Banette, since its Electric / Fire typing allows it to absorb its two most common status moves.

Last edited:

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
First, I know this is just a WIP, but it should only be in bullet points. Now the fact that Mega Banette isn't the first and only set is surprising. I don't think there should be a suicide lead with Focus Sash at all because it is horribly outclassed by Froslass. Don't give Trick Room a slash at all. Thunder Wave should definitely get a slash after Will-O-Wisp. Shadow Sneak gets STAB, but Sucker Punch has more BP, so that should probably get a slash as well. Just a few tips. :)

CrushinDefeat

First, I know this is just a WIP, but it should only be in bullet points. Now the fact that Mega Banette isn't the first and only set is surprising. I don't think there should be a suicide lead with Focus Sash at all because it is horribly outclassed by Froslass. Don't give Trick Room a slash at all. Thunder Wave should definitely get a slash after Will-O-Wisp. Shadow Sneak gets STAB, but Sucker Punch has more BP, so that should probably get a slash as well. Just a few tips. :)
I wanted to try to do two movesets because I wanted one for both Mega and regular form so that way if someone desires a Banette on a team they're not regulated to just a Mega form( they can spare a Mega evo for something else), In regards to focus sash if it doesn't die and takes a hit, it can still set up a Trick room for a DBond, if not a focus sash, what other items do you recommend, I thought a sash would be best so if above all It can at least make a move. I think Sash works, unless you think I should delete the entire moveset and stick to one definitive set with multiple alternative moves on it. Thanks :)

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
banette is only useful in uu in its mega form with prankster dbond and wisp. trick room is a bad strategy in uu currently due to the presence of solid defensive cores and even then there are much better options for setting up tr so please remove the first set

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I'll just say that I don't think Mega Banette is a very good lead. Its Prankster ablilty only takes effect the turn after it mega evolves, so fast Spikers or Stealth Rock setters can set up hazards before being Taunted by Banette.

I was looking through the C&C section and it needs to be revised. Blissey and Chaney are in OU, so mentions to those need to be removed. Beat Up is not nearly common enough to get a mention and Knock Off is the wrong Dark type move to name. Knock Off from most things will hurt Banette, but it will always do minimal damage (because Banettite can't be removed) and Banette can just burn whatever tries to use it.

Trick Room has negative priority, even when a Prankster uses it, so I think that just needs to go. Sucker Punch can prevent Normal-types from walling Banette, so I think that can get a slash. Sorry for all of this, but I'm trying to help you out. I hope you understand.

Moderator edit: My god can you stop pc+++

Last edited by a moderator:

CrushinDefeat

Trick Room has negative priority, even when a Prankster uses it, so I think that just needs to go. Sucker Punch can prevent Normal-types from walling Banette, so I think that can get a slash. Sorry for all of this, but I'm trying to help you out. I hope you understand.
No I appreciate it alot, I was overthinking alot of things, I just suggest Trick Room for team stuff but, I think I'll move that towards other options.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
ability: (Insomnia) but Prankster via Banettite
You just put the base ability here. Also, I feel that it should probably be Frisk / Insomnia as Frisk is incredibly useful for scouting the opponent before mega evolving. Also, while sleep is seen, it isn't that common in UU atm, so it isn't such a big issue that needs stopping.
evs: 252 Atk/ 4 SDef /252 HP
stats are slashed in the order HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe, so you need to fix that.
move 2: Will-O-Wisp/ Thunder Wave
Banette has no business running T-Wave. Just stick with Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Shadow Claw / Shadow Sneak
Slash in Knock Off between Shadow Claw and Shadow Sneak. It is amazing, and it lets Banette further support its teammates.
Prioroty Assault
########
name: Prioroty Assault
Just call it Prankster support.

Banette often carry Protect to burn the turn without Prankster, and it could get a slash somewhere in there - although I'll admit it is a little difficult to fit into the set.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
I think Mega Banette should run Thunder Wave because it supports the team. Being able to cripple special attackers and physical attackers alike while also being able to present teammates with setup opportunities is great.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I'm not too keen on calling the set Prankster Lead, as Prankster isn't even present the first turn of the match, as you haven't Mega-evolved yet, so maybe just change the name to "Prankster".

Also the C&C section is poorly written. Banette isn't being kept down by Magic Bouncers or Magic Coat users. Its moreso its lack of defensive stats, and lack of hard hitting STABs to choose from, in tandem with its low speed, and unlike Sableye, it has no reliable recovery. Overall, I would say go through the whole analysis and rewrite more of it with these points in mind.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think Mega Banette should run Thunder Wave because it supports the team. Being able to cripple special attackers and physical attackers alike while also being able to present teammates with setup opportunities is great.
If you want Prankster T-Wave support, you might as well just run Meowstic. Will-O-Wisp is an amazing move, and any pokemon with access to it that needs a status move will generally choose to run it over their other options simply due to it being so good and having such a well-judged distribution (on Game Freak's part), meaning that a pokemon is privileged to have access to it and will have a hard time passing it up.

Mention in the overview that it is generally overshadowed by Sableye, who is generally superior. Also mention its 4mss.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Looks good. Glad to finally see some emphasis on being generally outclassed by Sableye.

QC 2/3, write this up.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
CrushinDefeat
add or change
remove
comments

Overview
########

Be on the look out for this sinister foe; the Marionette Pokemon is back with a new bag of tricks! Banette is a Pokemon that isn't easy to use. Banette's stats are lackluster, it has very little offense offensive presence, and is generally swept away outclassed by better pokemon other Pokemon. Thanks to Generation 6,(RC) Banette gets a nice new Mega form Mega Evolution in Generation VI to help it reign terror against its new competition. Mega Banette's new ability Prankster allows it to take advantage of all kinds of priority non-damaging moves. Mega Banette's strengths play out with the fact that it has a great offensive presence with its new 165 attack (wat, you just wrote that it had very little offensive presence) . Not only does Mega Banette get a new attack, but its defenses get a nice buff from there subpar non evolution Mega Banette receives a huge buff to its Attack and a slight buff to its defenses in its Mega Evolved form. Mega Banette now also can now also lead and can cause opponents trouble with Prankster Destiny Bond because of Prankster. However that being said, Mega Banette still suffers from its crippling Speed and still-subpar defenses. Mega Banette also suffers from having a small movepool and its lack of reliable recovery. Mega Banette is severally out classed severely outclassed by Sableye,(AC) Sableye which not only has a wider movepool but actually has access to reliable recovery, while Mega Banette suffers from having Four Move Slot Syndrome; usually having to stick to one moveset to function effectively. Another issue with Mega Banette is that the new ability doesn't occur Prankster doesn't come into effect on the first turn if it Mega Evolves; rather the next turn. Mega Banette must wait on a turn to get its much desired ability to function properly. However,(AC) with that said Mega Banette still continues manages to scare up the competition with its new ability and newfound strength. continues and new contradict
Prankster
########

evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef SpD
leave a line between sections
Moves
========

With Taunt, Banette Taunt allows Mega Banette to stops entry hazard setters dead in their tracks,(AC) while also Stops set ups as well from lead sweepers shutting down offensive leads attempting to set up. Will-O-Wisp, with Prankster Prankster Will-O-Wisp is used to get a quick burn on opponents,(AC) crippling attack power physical attackers. Slows down opponents with ThunderWave,(RC) Alternatively,(AC) slowing down opponents can help Mega Banette outspeed for them and hit them with its own attacks. Shadow Claw with 165 Base Attack and STAB Damage hits very hard its one of Banettes attack moves dealing good damage STAB Shadow Claw deals good damage coming off a massive base 165 Attack,(AC) but STAB Shadow Sneak can be used for going before your opponents to get an early spot in priority and picking off weakened opponents. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to remove opponent's items. Destiny Bond works incredibly well with Prankster; getting the lead with Destiny Bond is a must,(RC) if all else fails, this is your kill switch. Alternatively Knock Off can be used to take out opponents items. Having Frisk allows you to scout for items like Focus Sash, Assault Vests, and Leftovers that are great to get off enemies Knock Off can remove.
Set Details
========

EV's for Banette are best with 252 for Attack, 4 for SDef, and 252 for HP because it needs to be able to take a hit to make up for its speed and frail defenses 252 EVs are invested in HP since Mega Banette needs to be able to take a hit to make up for its low Speed and frail defenses, while 252 Attack EVs allow it to still hit relatively hard. Running Frisk on Banette is going to allows you to scout out the opponent's items to get a sense of what they're planning; finding items like Berries, scarfs Choice items, and Focus Sashes will gives you an idea of how the opponent is running their will use that Pokemon. Banetteite Banettite is the best item for Banette; not only does Banette gain get a 100 BST boost, but it also gains the much needed Prankster; the only reason Mega Banette is viable in the first place that helps regulate Banettes limited movepool. Lastly with Banetteite, Mega Banette gains an amazing attack boost, its going to Lastly, Mega Banette will want to run an Adamant nature,(RC) this is to ensure that Mega Banette takes it can take full advantage of its new-found Attack power without sacrificing Speed or defenses bulk.

Frisk you can scout the opponent out and get a good sense of what item their leading pokemon may have. wat. this is already in ^
Usage Tips
========

As mentioned in the overview,(RC) Mega Banette doesn't gain Prankster on its first turn it needs to wait in order for it to get its valuable new ability, so try to Mega Evolve it as soon as possible. Mega Banette works well during mid-game battle, where it can weedle whittle down the opponent's team members with Destiny Bond (Destiny Bond doesn't 'whittle' anything) with Will-O-Wisp. Its going to have Frisk so it'll be able to identify the opponents item, having Knock Off is a nice combo here before ultimately Mega Evolving (all this is already in set details) . Its great to taunting the opponent to prevent set ups when they assume you'll hit a Destiny Bond or a status infliction Taunt the opponent to prevent them from setting up when they predict you to use Destiny Bond or Will-O-Wisp. Prankster and Destiny Bond allow you to avoid instantly shut down sweeps only once, so use this wisely. However, most of the time Destiny Bond is obvious,(AC) most of the time so it's always important to figure out when to use it,(AC) it's sometimes difficult to determine whether or not a opponent may hit with a move or might use a status, or a set up attack, use a status move, or set up. Avoid wasting Destiny Bond on weakened Pokemon; conserve it to get rid of stronger foes. Using status inflictions moves and switching out can be great to allow bulkier teammates to set up on status'ed burned or Taunted Pokemon. So burning or Thunder Waving paralyzing an opponent and then making a switch can really put pressure on an opponent while giving you the edge.
Team Options
========

Banette because of Due to its limited movepool,(AC) Mega Banette can't provide its teammates with too much help so it relies more on its team members instead. Mega Banette is weak to dark types vulnerable to Dark-types,(AC) so having bulkier teammates,(RC) like Cobalion or having hard-hitting teammates like Lucario to take a Knock Off is appreciated; note only can it benifit benefit them with the right ability if they have the Justified ability, but it can also get Mega Banette out of difficult situations. Other teammates that can take hits are Florges and Umbreon, as they both resisting Dark-type moves. Florges having has great Special Defenses, while Umbreon stops hits with its defense and special defense can take both physical and special attacks nicely. Umbreon can also provide support for Banette with Wishes and Heal Bells in case you want Mega Banette to last longer to and cause more havoc.
Other Options
########

Mega Banette can also run a number of alternative options too. Mega Banette can also run Trick Room to support slower team members. Not only does Mega Banette gain the speed advantage, having both speed and priority, but this can also be beneficial because it can slow stop faster sweepers in their tracks. (space) Trick Room gives your slower teammates the edge in terms of speed (redundant). Pokemon like Slowbro or Reuniclus are dangerous threats when Trick Room is up. Reuniclus can sweep in a Trick Room with the right strategies (we're analysing M-Banette here, not Reuniclus or Slowbro). Banette can also use Confusion Confuse Ray to confuse targets possibly gain some free turns. Moves like Curse can be used to cause force the opponent to switch out in risk of losing health every turn, which is great for getting set ups on switching Pokemon racking up residual damage and swinging the momentum in your favor. Torment and Disable are also troublesome for the opponent, not allowing the opponent free range on their move sets is problematic as well as restricting their options is always useful. Other status moves can be such as Toxic can be annoying as well. (space) Protect is a very good move for ensuring that Banette can safely Mega Evolve and is also valuable for scouting out an opponent's moveset. Moves like Sucker Punch and Pain Split can also surprise opponents and catch them off-guard as well. Sucker Punch can be used to land a quicker hit on a target and maybe get rid of them. Pain Split,(RC) in conjunction with Substitute can slowly diminish the HP of bulky Pokemon down to low health. Gunk Shot also allows Mega Banette to take out pesky Fairy-types like Florges and Aromatisse. Phantom Force is another alternative choice to use in regards of to attacking moves, very strong ghost move with great STAB damage as it is a very strong STAB move. Disappearing the first turn may provide useful to spare Banette a turn of damage Vanishing on the first turn may also prove useful, sparing Mega Banette a turn of damage.
Checks & Counters
########

**Quicker Pranksters Opposing Prankster Users** Quicker Prankster users like Whimsicott and Meowstic can also cause Mega Banette problems by outspeeding it with their better speed.
**Dark-types**: Mega Houndoom, Mega Absol,(AC) and Hydreigon are bad news for Mega Banette, as they are faster and stronger than Banette it. Mega Houndoom and Mega Absol check and counter Mega Banette completely with their Speed, abilities, and power. These dark Pokemon have access to Dark Pulse, Knock Off, and Sucker Punch,(AC) which are red flags against Mega Banette.
**Bulky Fire-types** Arcanine, and faster fire types like Entei Fast Fire-types like Arcanine and Entei can check Mega Banette which usually since it can't use Will-O-Wisp on them. (space) While not the most ideal option,(AC) Rotom-Heat,(RC) while not the most ideal,(RC) can also check Mega Banette, since it is a dual Electric/Fire type, being able to take two common status conditions its Electric / Fire typing allows it to absorb two common status conditions.

I'm not sure if I have the authority or influence or whatever I need to say this, but I strongly urge you to give the writing section to another user fluent in English once it reaches the GP stage. I have seen your skeleton for this, which shows you do have knowledge concerning M-Banette, but as far as I can tell, your English is (no offense if English isn't your first language) quite shaky. By giving it over to somebody that can / is willing to write this up, you save time trying to write this yourself, and GP members also won't need to spend so much time rewriting and fixing prose. Sorry man, it's been brought to my attention and I have realized that this was quite rude, so I apologize.

Please rewrite this with the changes, and VM me if you have any concerns / queries or if I have misinterpreted a sentence's meaning, then I will stamp this.

Last edited:

horyzhnz

Also I think QC should look over this again; Confusion in OO? I assume it's a typo, but just in case

horyzhnz

Overview
########
Be on the look out for this sinister foe, the Marionette Pokemon is back with a new bag of tricks! Banette is a Pokemon that isn't easy to use. Banette's stats are lackluster, it has very little offense, and is generally swept away by other Pokemon. However,(AC) Banette gets a Mega Evolution in Generation VI to form to help it against its new competition. Mega Banette's new ability Prankster allows it to take advantage of all kinds of non-damaging moves. (space) Mega Banette receives a huge buff to its Attack and a slight buff to its defenses in its Mega Evolved form. Mega Banette can now lead and can cause opponents trouble with Prankster Destiny Bond. However that being said, (space) Mega Banette still suffers from its crippling Speed and subpar defenses. Mega Banette also suffers from having a small movepool and its lack of reliable recovery. Mega Banette is severely outclassed by Sableye, which not only has a wider movepool but actually has access to reliable recovery, while Mega Banette suffers from having Four Move Slot Syndrome; usually having to stick to one moveset to effectively function. Another issue with Mega Banette is that Prankster doesn't come into effect on the turn it Mega Evolves; it Mega Evolves; Mega Banette must wait a turn to get for its much desired ability to function properly. However, with that said,(AC) Mega Banette manages to scare up the competition with its new ability and newfound strength.

Prankster
########
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD Space between slashes

Moves
========
Taunt allows Mega Banette to stop entry hazard setters dead in their tracks, while also shutting down offensive leads attempting to set up. Prankster Will-O-Wisp is used to get a quick burn on opponents, crippling physical attackers. Alternatively, slowing down opponents can help Mega Banette outspeed them and hit them with its own attacks. (space) STAB Shadow Claw deals good damage coming off a massive base 165 Attack, but STAB Shadow Sneak can be used for priority and picking off weakened opponents. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to remove opponent's items. Destiny Bond works incredibly well with Prankster; if all else fails, this is your kill switch. Frisk allows you to scout for items like Focus Sash, Assault Vest, and Leftovers that Knock Off can remove.

Set Details

========
252 EVs are invested in HP since Mega Banette needs to be able to take a hit to make up for its low Speed and frail defenses, while 252 Attack EVs allow it to still hit relatively hard. Running Frisk on Banette allows you to scout out the opponent's items to get a sense of what they're planning; finding items like Berries, Choice items, and Focus Sashes will give you an idea of how the opponent will use that Pokemon. Banettite is the best item for Banette; not only does Banette get a 100 BST boost, but it also gains the much needed Prankster; the only reason Mega Banette is viable in the first place. Lastly, Mega Banette will want to run an Adamant nature to ensure that it can take full advantage of its newfound Attack without sacrificing Speed or bulk.

Usage Tips
========
Mega Banette doesn't gain Prankster on its first turn, so try to Mega Evolve it as soon as possible. Mega Banette works well mid-game, where it can whittle down the opponent's team with Will-O-Wisp. (space) Use Taunt on the opponent to prevent them from setting up when they predict you to use Destiny Bond or Will-O-Wisp. Prankster and Destiny Bond allows you to instantly shut down a sweeps only once, so use this wisely. However, most of the time Destiny Bond is obvious, so it's always important to figure out when to use it, since it's sometimes difficult to determine whether or not a opponent may attack, use a status move, or set up. Avoid wasting Destiny Bond on weakened Pokemon; conserve it to get rid of stronger foes. Using status moves and switching out can be great to allow bulkier teammates to set up on burned or Taunted Pokemon,(AC) so burning or paralyzing an opponent and then making a switch can really put pressure on an opponent while giving you the edge.

Team Options
========
Due to its limited movepool, Mega Banette can't provide its teammates with too much help so it relies more on its team members instead. Mega Banette is vulnerable to Dark-types, so having bulkier teammates like Cobalion or hard-hitting teammates like Lucario to take a Knock Off is appreciated; not only can it benefit them if they have the Justified ability, but it can also get Mega Banette out of difficult situations. Other teammates that can take hits are Florges and Umbreon, as they both resist Dark-type moves. Florges has great Special Defense, while Umbreon can take both physical and special attacks nicely. Florges and Umbreon can also provide support for Banette with Wish and Heal Bell / Aromatherapy in case you want Mega Banette to last longer and cause more havoc havok.

Other Options
########
Mega Banette can also run a number of alternative options too. Mega Banette can run Trick Room to support slower team members. Not only does Mega Banette gain the speed advantage, having both speed and priority, but this can also be beneficial because it can stop faster sweepers in their tracks. Mega Banette can also use Confuse Ray to possibly gain some free turns. Curse can be used to force the opponent to switch out, which is great for racking up residual damage and swinging the momentum in your favor. Torment and Disable are also troublesome for the opponent, as restricting their options is always useful. Other status moves such as Toxic can be annoying as well. Protect is a very good move for ensuring that Banette can safely Mega Evolve and is also valuable for scouting out an opponent's moveset. Moves like Sucker Punch and Pain Split can also surprise opponents as well. Sucker Punch can be used as a Dark-type priority move to land a quicker hit on a target and maybe get rid of them,(AC) while Pain Split in conjunction with Substitute can slowly diminish the HP of bulky Pokemon. Gunk Shot allows Mega Banette to take out pesky Fairy-types like Florges and Aromatisse. Phantom Force is another alternative choice to use in to attacking moves, as it is a very strong STAB move. (space) Vanishing on the first turn may also prove useful, sparing Mega Banette a turn of damage.

Checks & Counters
########
**Opposing Prankster Users** Quicker Prankster users like Whimsicott and Meowstic can also cause Mega Banette problems by outspeeding it.

**Dark-types** Mega Houndoom, Mega Absol, and Hydreigon are bad news for Mega Banette, as they are faster and stronger than it. Mega Houndoom and Mega Absol counter Mega Banette completely with their Speed, abilities, and power. These Pokemon also have access to Dark Pulse, Knock Off, and Sucker Punch, which are red flags against for Mega Banette.

**Bulky Fire-types** Fast Fire-types like Arcanine and Entei can check Mega Banette since it can't use Will-O-Wisp on them. While not the most ideal option, (space) Rotom-Heat can also check Mega Banette, since its Electric / Fire typing allows it to absorb two common status conditions moves.

:>

GP 1/2

Legitimate Username

mad tales of a bloodthirsty corviknight
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Congrats on your first finished analysis!
Additions
Removals
(Comments)
Overview
########
Be on the look out for this sinister foe, as the Marionette Pokemon is back with a new bag of tricks! Banette is a Pokemon that isn't easy to use. Banette's stats are lackluster, it has very little offense offensive capability, and it is generally swept away by other Pokemon. However, Banette gets got a Mega Evolution in Generation VI XY to help it against its new competition. Mega Banette's new ability, Prankster, allows it to take advantage of all kinds of non-damaging moves. Banette also receives a huge buff to its Attack and a slight buff to its defenses in its Mega Evolved form. Mega Banette can now lead and can cause opponents trouble with Prankster Destiny Bond. However, Mega Banette still suffers from its crippling low Speed and subpar defenses. Mega Banette It also suffers from having has (already used "suffers from") a small movepool and its a lack of reliable recovery. Banette is severely outclassed by Sableye, which not only has a wider movepool but actually has access to reliable recovery, while Mega Banette suffers from having Four Move Slot Syndrome; usually having to stick to one move set to effectively function (I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say here) four-moveslot syndrome. Another issue with Banette is that Prankster doesn't come into effect on the turn that it Mega Evolves; it Mega Evolves; Mega Banette must wait a turn to get for its much desired ability in order to function properly. However, with that said, Banette manages can still manage to scare up the competition with its new ability and newfound strength and ability.

Prankster
########

Moves
========

Taunt allows Mega Banette to stop entry hazard setters dead in their tracks, while also shutting down any offensive leads attempting leads that attempt to set up. Prankster Will-O-Wisp is used to get a quick burn on opponents, crippling physical attackers. Alternatively, slowing down opponents with Thunder Wave can help Mega Banette outspeed them and hit them with its own attacks. STAB Shadow Claw deals good damage coming off a of its massive base 165 Attack, but Shadow Sneak can be used for priority and picking off weakened opponents. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to remove opponent's items. Destiny Bond works incredibly well with Prankster; if all else fails, this is your kill switch. Frisk allows you to scout for items like such as Focus Sash, Assault Vest, and Leftovers that Knock Off can remove.

Set Details
========

252 EVs are invested in HP since Mega Banette needs to be able to take a hit to make up for its low Speed and frail defenses, while 252 Attack EVs allow it to still hit relatively hard. Running Frisk on Banette allows you to scout out the opponent's items to get a sense of what they're planning;: finding items like such as Berries, Choice items, and Focus Sashes will give you an idea of how the opponent will use that Pokemon. Banettite is the best item for Banette; not only does Banette get a 100 BST base stat total boost, but it also gains the much needed Prankster;, which is the only reason that Mega Banette is viable in the first place. Lastly, Mega Banette will want to run an Adamant nature to ensure that it can take full advantage of its newfound Attack without sacrificing Speed or bulk. An alternate spread of (148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe) can be run in order to allow Banette to not only out speed outspeed Pokemon like Suicune and can effectively spinblock Blastoise, granted that it doesn't predict the switch in. This However, this spread, however, reduces the Banette's overall bulk, so it should of Banette but can be used to remove Blastoise if hazard blocking is necessary for your teams team's success.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Banette doesn't gain Prankster on its first turn, so try to Mega Evolve it as soon as possible. Mega Banette works well mid-game, where when it can whittle down the opponent's team with Will-O-Wisp. Use Taunt on the opponent to prevent them from setting up when they predict you to use Destiny Bond or Will-O-Wisp. Prankster Destiny Bond allows you to instantly shut down a sweep only once, so use this wisely. However, most of the time Destiny Bond is obvious, so it's always important to figure out when to use it, since it's sometimes difficult to determine whether or not a opponent may attack, use a status move, or set up. Avoid wasting Destiny Bond on weakened Pokemon; conserve it to get rid of stronger foes. Using status moves and switching out can be great to allow for allowing bulkier teammates to set up on burned or Taunted Pokemon, so burning or paralyzing an opponent and then making a switch can really put pressure on an opponent while giving you the edge.

Team Options
========

Due to its limited movepool, Mega Banette can't provide its teammates with too much help, so it relies more on its team members instead. Mega Banette is vulnerable to Dark-types, so having bulkier teammates like Cobalion or hard-hitting teammates like Lucario to take a Knock Off is appreciated; not only can it benefit them if they have the Justified ability, but it can also get Mega Banette out of difficult situations. Other good teammates that can take hits are Florges and Umbreon, as they both resist Dark-type moves. Florges has great Special Defense, while Umbreon can take both physical and special attacks nicely. Florges and Umbreon can also provide support for Banette with Wish and Heal Bell / Aromatherapy in case you want Mega Banette to last longer and cause wreak (of course) more havok.

Other Options
########

Mega Banette can also run a number of alternative options. Mega Banette can run Trick Room to support slower team members. Not only does Mega Banette gain the a speed advantage from this, having both speed and priority, but this can also be beneficial because it can stop faster sweepers in their tracks. Mega Banette can also use Confuse Ray to possibly gain some free turns. Curse can be used to force the opponent to switch out, which is great for racking up residual damage and swinging the momentum in your favor. Torment and Disable are also troublesome for the opponent, as restricting their options is always useful. Other status moves such as Toxic can be annoying as well. Protect is a very good move for ensuring that Banette can safely Mega Evolve and is also valuable for scouting out an opponent's moveset. Moves like Sucker Punch and Pain Split can also surprise opponents as well. Sucker Punch can be used as a Dark-type priority move, while Pain Split in conjunction with Substitute can slowly diminish the HP of bulky Pokemon opponents. Gunk Shot allows Mega Banette to take out pesky Fairy-types like such as Florges and Aromatisse. Phantom Force is another alternative choice to use, as it is a very strong STAB move. Vanishing on the first turn may also prove useful, sparing Mega Banette a turn of damage.

Checks & Counters
########

**Opposing Faster Prankster Users** Quicker Prankster users like Whimsicott and Meowstic can cause Mega Banette problems by outspeeding it.

**Dark-types** Mega Houndoom, Mega Absol, and Hydreigon are bad news for Mega Banette, as they are faster and stronger than it. Mega Houndoom and Mega Absol can counter Mega Banette completely with their Speed, abilities, and power. These Pokemon also have access to Dark Pulse, Knock Off, and Sucker Punch, which are red flags for Mega Banette.

**Bulky Fire-types** Fast Fire-types like such as Arcanine and Entei can check Mega Banette since it can't use Will-O-Wisp on them. While not the most ideal option, Rotom-Heat Rotom-H can also check Mega Banette, since its Electric / Fire typing allows it to absorb its two most common status moves.
Overview
########
Be on the look out for this sinister foe, as the Marionette Pokemon is back with a new bag of tricks! Banette is a Pokemon that isn't easy to use. Banette's stats are lackluster, it has very little offensive capability, and it is generally swept away by other Pokemon. However, Banette got a Mega Evolution in XY to help it against its new competition. Mega Banette's new ability, Prankster, allows it to take advantage of all kinds of non-damaging moves. Banette also receives a huge buff to its Attack and a slight buff to its defenses in its Mega Evolved form. Mega Banette can now lead and can cause opponents trouble with Prankster Destiny Bond. However, Mega Banette still suffers from low Speed and subpar defenses. It also has a small movepool and a lack of reliable recovery. Banette is severely outclassed by Sableye, which not only has a wider movepool but actually has access to reliable recovery, while Mega Banette suffers from having four-moveslot syndrome. Another issue with Banette is that Prankster doesn't come into effect on the turn that it Mega Evolves; Mega Banette must wait a turn for its much desired ability in order to function properly. However, Banette can still manage to scare up the competition with its newfound strength and ability.

Prankster
########

Moves
========

Taunt allows Mega Banette to stop entry hazard setters dead in their tracks, while also shutting down any offensive leads that attempt to set up. Prankster Will-O-Wisp is used to get a quick burn on opponents, crippling physical attackers. Alternatively, slowing down opponents with Thunder Wave can help Mega Banette outspeed them and hit them with its own attacks. STAB Shadow Claw deals good damage coming off of its massive base 165 Attack, but Shadow Sneak can be used for priority and picking off weakened opponents. Alternatively, Knock Off can be used to remove opponent's items. Destiny Bond works incredibly well with Prankster; if all else fails, this is your kill switch. Frisk allows you to scout for items such as Focus Sash, Assault Vest, and Leftovers that Knock Off can remove.

Set Details
========

252 EVs are invested in HP since Mega Banette needs to be able to take a hit to make up for its low Speed and frail defenses, while 252 Attack EVs allow it to hit relatively hard. Running Frisk on Banette allows you to scout out the opponent's items to get a sense of what they're planning: finding items such as Berries, Choice items, and Focus Sashes will give you an idea of how the opponent will use that Pokemon. Banettite is the best item for Banette; not only does Banette get a 100 base stat total boost, but it also gains the much needed Prankster, which is the only reason that Mega Banette is viable in the first place. Lastly, Mega Banette will want to run an Adamant nature to ensure that it can take full advantage of its newfound Attack without sacrificing Speed or bulk. An alternate spread of 148 HP / 252 Atk / 108 Spe can be run in order to allow Banette to outspeed Pokemon like Suicune and effectively spinblock Blastoise, granted that it doesn't predict the switch in. However, this spread reduces Banette's overall bulk, so it should be used to remove Blastoise if hazard blocking is necessary for your team's success.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Banette doesn't gain Prankster on its first turn, so try to Mega Evolve it as soon as possible. Mega Banette works well mid-game, when it can whittle down the opponent's team with Will-O-Wisp. Use Taunt on the opponent to prevent them from setting up when they predict you to use Destiny Bond or Will-O-Wisp. Prankster Destiny Bond allows you to instantly shut down a sweep only once, so use this wisely. However, most of the time Destiny Bond is obvious, so it's always important to figure out when to use it, since it's sometimes difficult to determine whether or not a opponent may attack, use a status move, or set up. Avoid wasting Destiny Bond on weakened Pokemon; conserve it to get rid of stronger foes. Using status moves and switching out can be great for allowing bulkier teammates to set up on burned or Taunted Pokemon, so burning or paralyzing an opponent and then making a switch can really put pressure on an opponent while giving you the edge.

Team Options
========

Due to its limited movepool, Mega Banette can't provide its teammates with too much help, so it relies more on its team members instead. Mega Banette is vulnerable to Dark-types, so having bulkier teammates like Cobalion or hard-hitting teammates like Lucario to take a Knock Off is appreciated; not only can it benefit them if they have the Justified ability, but it can also get Mega Banette out of difficult situations. Other good teammates that can take hits are Florges and Umbreon, as they both resist Dark-type moves. Florges has great Special Defense, while Umbreon can take both physical and special attacks nicely. Florges and Umbreon can also provide support for Banette with Wish and Heal Bell / Aromatherapy in case you want Mega Banette to last longer and wreak more havok.

Other Options
########

Mega Banette can also run a number of alternative options. Mega Banette can run Trick Room to support slower team members. Not only does Mega Banette gain a speed advantage from this, having both speed and priority, but this can also be beneficial because it can stop faster sweepers in their tracks. Mega Banette can also use Confuse Ray to possibly gain some free turns. Curse can be used to force the opponent to switch out, which is great for racking up residual damage and swinging the momentum in your favor. Torment and Disable are also troublesome for the opponent, as restricting their options is always useful. Other status moves such as Toxic can be annoying as well. Protect is a very good move for ensuring that Banette can safely Mega Evolve and is also valuable for scouting out an opponent's moveset. Moves like Sucker Punch and Pain Split can also surprise opponents as well. Sucker Punch can be used as a Dark-type priority move, while Pain Split in conjunction with Substitute can slowly diminish the HP of bulky opponents. Gunk Shot allows Mega Banette to take out pesky Fairy-types such as Florges and Aromatisse. Phantom Force is another alternative choice to use, as it is a very strong STAB move. Vanishing on the first turn may also prove useful, sparing Mega Banette a turn of damage.

Checks & Counters
########

**Faster Prankster Users** Quicker Prankster users like Whimsicott and Meowstic can cause Mega Banette problems by outspeeding it.

**Bulky Fire-types** Fast Fire-types such as Arcanine and Entei can check Mega Banette since it can't use Will-O-Wisp on them. While not the most ideal option, Rotom-H can also check Mega Banette, since its Electric / Fire typing allows it to absorb its two most common status moves.

GP approved 2/2

Last edited:
I know this has already gone through QC but i wanted to notice that with 108 Speed EVs regular Banette can outspeed and Destiny Bond uninvested Mega Blastoise as it OHKOs with Dark Pulse to prevent Rapid Spin. That spread also outspeeds uninvested Suicune if you mega evolve

CrushinDefeat

Legitimate Username, I have implemented all the changes you have asked for (in the overview I edited one small sentence regarding Banette's description I changed it to: "Banette's stats, aside from its attack, are lackluster. It has very little offensive capability, and is not a threat to many Pokemon."), and I have implemented all the changes around.

I want to first thank everyone that helped me with this, I appreciate all the advice and most importantly all the criticism, Im looking forward to receiving more in the future, and working even harder to provide everyone with the best. So thank you all again for the help, it means alot. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)