Pokémon Banette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my thoughts were that mega banette could be used to hamper or even stop sweeps in their tracks as well as mess up leads. Destiny bond is a great move for this pokemon, but until december rolls around, this pokemon cannot learn this move in X and Y. With that in mind, another option could be to have this pokemon run the following:

Item: Banettite
Ability: Prankster

Taunt
Thunder wave
sucker punch/shadow sneak
Will-O-Wisp

THis pokemon could run this set with an EV spread catering to making it a bulky pokemon, as the purpose for this one is not to hit hard, but to hamper any plots the other player has in mind should your more powerful and faster, but frail pokemon fail. I could lead with banette for the purpose of using taunt if i have the sense that they are gonna try to set up a sweep. If that is the case, then the opponent may switch to another pokemon to which you could run a status move to cripple the switched in pokemon. Klefki is noted for being a good lead thanks to its prankster ability, but with nanette, he can stop or at least delay klefki's little plots so that by the time klefki can run it's course, it may be too late. With minimal investment in attack, klefki can't use foul play the way it wants to, but it is always good to never get cocky.

If you lead with banette and you see they are trying to attack from the beginning, then you can always switch it out. Simple.

As for stopping sweeps, an EV spread intended to increase bulk may not be sufficient to allow mega banette to withstand blows, but it has a chance, and with prankster, it can always set the opponents sweeper up to be KO'd by your next pokemon. With both THunder wave and Will O wisp at it's command, it can be useful to hamper the effectiveness almost all physical hard hitters (though you can't always count on will o wisp to land a hit).

I think Mega Banette can be used regardless of early game or late game.

I have never run this set fbefore, so therefore this is only theory. If you care to correct anything written here, i strongly encourage you to do so. i do ask, however, you be respectful while doing so.

Well, my thoughts were that mega banette could be used to hamper or even stop sweeps in their tracks as well as mess up leads. Destiny bond is a great move for this pokemon, but until december rolls around, this pokemon cannot learn this move in X and Y. With that in mind, another option could be to have this pokemon run the following:

Item: Banettite
Ability: Prankster

Taunt
Thunder wave
sucker punch/shadow sneak
Will-O-Wisp

THis pokemon could run this set with an EV spread catering to making it a bulky pokemon, as the purpose for this one is not to hit hard, but to hamper any plots the other player has in mind should your more powerful and faster, but frail pokemon fail. I could lead with banette for the purpose of using taunt if i have the sense that they are gonna try to set up a sweep. If that is the case, then the opponent may switch to another pokemon to which you could run a status move to cripple the switched in pokemon. Klefki is noted for being a good lead thanks to its prankster ability, but with nanette, he can stop or at least delay klefki's little plots so that by the time klefki can run it's course, it may be too late. With minimal investment in attack, klefki can't use foul play the way it wants to, but it is always good to never get cocky.

If you lead with banette and you see they are trying to attack from the beginning, then you can always switch it out. Simple.

As for stopping sweeps, an EV spread intended to increase bulk may not be sufficient to allow mega banette to withstand blows, but it has a chance, and with prankster, it can always set the opponents sweeper up to be KO'd by your next pokemon. With both THunder wave and Will O wisp at it's command, it can be useful to hamper the effectiveness almost all physical hard hitters (though you can't always count on will o wisp to land a hit).

I think Mega Banette can be used regardless of early game or late game.

I have never run this set fbefore, so therefore this is only theory. If you care to correct anything written here, i strongly encourage you to do so. i do ask, however, you be respectful while doing so.
Pretty much exactly my thoughts, too! So, what do you think of my ideas in the last post on page 5?

Pretty much exactly my thoughts, too! So, what do you think of my ideas in the last post on page 5?
Well, mega banette and clefki have the smae base speed, so an investment in speed is gonna be key if you wanna keep up with it. I would say 252 speed with timid, though i am not sure if people invest so much speed in klefki because a defensive EV spread would seem more appropriate for the type of pokemon it is.. It may sound crazy to lower its attack, but foul play is dark type so banette would struggle with that move if it has high attack.

I woudl take the remaining 252 and spread them evenly between attack and defense. with timid, you could replace a physical attack with a special attack.

If you aren't intending to contend with clefki (maybe you have another poke to deal with it), i would suggest putting more investment into Defense, HP and SP. Defense. i would still invest some Ev's into speed in case. i wouldnt use a timid nature in this case because i dont know of any other pokemon that could make good use of foul play. if you dont use a timid nature, then use sucker punch instead of a special attack.

that's what i think. again, i dont know if it will work or not.

I've been testing this moveset over Wi-Fi and it's yet to even be knocked out. It's crippled practically everything it's come across:

Protect
Will-o-Wisp
Taunt
Sucker Punch

Now, my EV spread is 252 atk, 252 spe, 4 HP but I'm considering investing more into it's defences. Everything's priority anyway but I'm just concerned about other Mega Banette, so maybe it's best to keep the speed maxed so I can be the first SP in, right?

EDIT: I've found Protect to be more valuable than TW,DB, Sub et al because it buys MB a turn whilst it's partner picks off a potential threat.

Of all the Mega Evos I've tested, this one takes the cake. Banette's been my favourite pokémon since Gen III and I'm so happy that it's finally useful!

Last edited:
Priority moves have terrible synergy with Destiny Bond. Instead of Destiny Bond covering two turns, it only ends up covering one, since it lasts until your next attack happens. The purpose of Prankster Destiny Bond is not simply to be one step ahead of the opponent; it's to create an insurance policy that allows you to do everything else. As such, I would highly recommend Shadow Claw (which has good type coverage with it being neutral on Steels these days).

If you're worried about Klefki that much, I would recommend Substitute over Taunt. That way, Thunder Wave and Swagger don't do anything to you, you have a means of protecting against Foul Play (which would outright murder you), and if the opponent decides to switch, you have a free turn to do whatever you'd like. That's not to say that Taunt is a bad option, but Substitute can afford him momentum on more offensive opponents.

Shadow Claw and Destiny Bond are pretty much imperative, unless you have balls of steel and just think that the opponent's fear of Destiny Bond will allow you to hit as you please. I'm of the mind that the standard set will pretty much require Shadow Claw and Destiny Bond unless it's trying to play hardcore support (which it can probably do, but I'm not sure if it's worth using your Mega for it). Destiny Bond allows it to set up Trick Room, Substitute, Swagger (if you really want to, I guess), Toxic, Disable...That said, I think it's too situational to make use of a largely supporting set.

My money is currently on the simple Shadow Claw, Gunk Shot/Return, Destiny Bond, Substitute set, which has good potential to make the opponent afraid to press buttons and gives you opportunities to attack without straight-up relying on Destiny Bond. Mono-Ghost attacking with something like Taunt or Trick Room over the second attack might be better (so that the opponent's Speed or boosting options aren't an issue), but, that just requires experimentation. Max Attack for sure, but it's hard to tell where else EVs should go. I imagine outside of Speed creep against Prankster, lower Speed would be better, so...

All that said, since Prankster doesn't activate on the turn you turn into Mega Banette, this thing is too much trouble to use, it seems.

Last edited:
All that said, since Prankster doesn't activate on the turn you turn into Mega Banette, this thing is too much trouble to use, it seems.
Protect is starting to become a mainstay on a lot of Mega Pokemon. I don't see why Banette wouldn't want it either, especially considering the synergy between Protect and Disable.

I've been testing this moveset over Wi-Fi and it's yet to even be knocked out. It's crippled practically everything it's come across:

Protect
Will-o-Wisp
Taunt
Sucker Punch

Now, my EV spread is 252 atk, 252 spe, 4 HP but I'm considering investing more into it's defences. Everything's priority anyway but I'm just concerned about other Mega Banette, so maybe it's best to keep the speed maxed so I can be the first SP in, right?

EDIT: I've found Protect to be more valuable than TW,DB, Sub et al because it buys MB a turn whilst it's partner picks off a potential threat.

Of all the Mega Evos I've tested, this one takes the cake. Banette's been my favourite pokémon since Gen III and I'm so happy that it's finally useful!
You, sir, just gave me a plethora of ideas. Kudos to you.

Protect is starting to become a mainstay on a lot of Mega Pokemon. I don't see why Banette wouldn't want it either, especially considering the synergy between Protect and Disable.
Because unlike Gengar, Banette doesn't have perfect coverage. Between Destiny Bond being more or less a staple move on Banette so it's not completely outclassed by a shitload of other things, Disable/Protect only leaves it room for one attack and a mono attacking ghost is for the most part is absolutely awful. In the case of Banette Protect/Disable means you'd actually be having to drop D-Bond to free up the last two moveslots since your goal is no longer to equalize but to stay alive. It's not as simple a choice you make it out to be.

Protect
Will-o-Wisp
Taunt
Sucker Punch

...And tell me, what exactly does this do that Sableye doesn't do already? Because at the moment all I see is something a little faster and bulkier with zero means of recovery trying to mimic the same job.

EDIT: Actually no, with that EV spread it's even more fragile than Sableye...

I just want to point out that you can pass on Destiny Bond from Phantump (Who learns Destiny Bond at Level 39)

Alright this is definitely a Poke you gotta try for yourself to actually see the point of it. Just sayin.' As long as you can cripple 1 enemy with WilloWisp/TWave and take another down with DBond, he's worth it. If you fail to do that, then he's dead weight.

...And tell me, what exactly does this do that Sableye doesn't do already? Because at the moment all I see is something a little faster and bulkier with zero means of recovery trying to mimic the same job.
It has much more attack. How many Evs would Sableye need on attack to safely 2-hit-ko mega gengar?

I personally have been pairing Mega Banette with Dual Screens Klefki. Klefki covers Banette's dark weakness very nicely, and the screens help give Banette a lot more opportunities to switch in. Also, though I have yet to see Mega Absol, Klefki can 2HKO it with Foul Play, while Absol can't 2HKO it back, especially with a light screen or reflect up.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Coming off Mega Gengar's amazing attack stat of 65?
The key word is STAB.

149 Atk (95 Physical STAB Dark) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (60 Base HP, 80 Base Defense): 156-186 (59.54 - 70.99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
121 Atk (95 Physical STAB Dark) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def (60 Base HP, 80 Base Defense): 128-152 (48.85 - 58.01%) -- 95.31% chance to 2HKO

Coming off Mega Gengar's amazing attack stat of 65?
Even with 0 IVs and a -Atk nature giving it an Atk stat of 121, Mega Gengar takes minimum 130 damage from STAB Foul Play. With 4 HP EVs, it has 262 HP. With anything other than the absolute worst damage rolls, it's dead in two hits.

M-Banette is an unfortunate case of horrible stat distribution. That high attack stat is worthless when you have Prankster, a killer status movepool, the pathetic Shadow Claw as your best STAB move and no real coverage moves to speak of. That special attack is also too low to be of any use, especially without boosting items. And of course it's still frail as hell.
Destiny Bond is practically mandatory on every set or it's outclassed by Sableye, which unfortunately makes M-Banette incredibly predictable.
How about a Mean Look+Taunt+Destiny Bond set? That way even if your opponent anticipates the incoming Destiny Bond and keeps switching he'll be eventually forced to sacrifice one of his pokemon.

Edit: figures, Banette doesn't learn Mean Look.
Mega banette doesn't need coverage he has two priority moves that are only resisted by dark and if anything just put hidden power fighting on him

[

Even with 0 IVs and a -Atk nature giving it an Atk stat of 121, Mega Gengar takes minimum 130 damage from STAB Foul Play. With 4 HP EVs, it has 262 HP. With anything other than the absolute worst damage rolls, it's dead in two hits.
Well surprising as that is, I'm pretty sure Sableye can't take a hit from Mega Gengar either. Meanwhile, Mega Banette has Sucker Punch, a priority dark-type attack coming off base 160 base attack, or Shadow Claw if it anticipates a cripple attempt.

Yeaaah....about that.

Timid Mega Gengar 252 S.Atk Shadow Ball vs Standard +S.Def 252HP/252S.Def Sableye: 49-58%

If you factor in Lefties recovery there is actually a pretty good 60%ish chance Mega Gengar will fail to even 2 hit the little troll...so plenty of wriggling room there.

Actually regular Gengar with Life Orb hits somewhere around 14% harder than Mega-Gengar. Even if Sableye invests absolutely nothing in attack and goes full defensive and runs Sucker Punch it still nails around 63-74% simply because of STAB and as you know from what was said earlier Foul Play hits even harder.

This pretty much ignores that Sableye can simply burn Gengar and stall it out with Recover and Mega Gengar will only ever win in that slim 20% chance it gets a S.Def drop...even then being a Ghost Sableye has the option of running.

Though to be honest this is all hypothetical because realistically speaking I would never even dream of using either Banette or Sableye to take on Gengar. Too many things that could go wrong, but generally speaking Sableye has a better match up even if Banette can just outright kill Gengar with a +Atk 0 EV Shadow Sneak.

==

On a unrelated note I'm actually tossing around the idea of a full defensive Banette with WoW/Rest/Infestation as another option. I'm beginning to see the practical usage of Infestation and Mega Banette if you stop being intimidated by that excellent 165 base attack. Banette is pretty much the only priority Infestation user in the game meaning it could trap with Infestation, burn them before they get to move and Rest everything off, thanks to Wrap type moves damage buff this gen the passive damage can become crippling very fast.

Last edited:
Though to be honest this is all hypothetical because realistically speaking I would never even dream of using either Banette or Sableye to take on Gengar. Too many things that could go wrong, but generally speaking Sableye has a better match up even if Banette can just outright kill Gengar with a +Atk 0 EV Shadow Sneak.
Actually, Mega Banette needs attack investment to reliably OHKO regular Gengar with shadow sneak.

Adamant 0 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 222-264 (84.73 - 100.76%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

Adamant 0 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 176-210 (67.17 - 80.15%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Adamant 252 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 260-308 (99.23 - 117.55%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

Adamant 252 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 206-246 (78.62 - 93.89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

On a unrelated note I'm actually tossing around the idea of a full defensive Banette with WoW/Rest/Infestation as another option. I'm beginning to see the practical usage of Infestation and Mega Banette if you stop being intimidated by that excellent 165 base attack. Banette is pretty much the only priority Infestation user in the game meaning it could trap with Infestation, burn them before they get to move and Rest everything off, thanks to Wrap type moves damage buff this gen the passive damage can become crippling very fast.
Are you sure banette is sturdy enough to do that? Since WoW should be on a lot of sets, it's quite unlikely that people will let their physical attacker stay in, or even change one in - and special attackers will still do quite a lot of damage to banette. So in the end, you'll mostly have to immediately change out again with your moveset.
I think that if you run infestation on banette, you're pretty much required to run protect + sub, too. Or at least just protect so that you still can change out if your opponent has a move that you haven't anticipated.

w
Actually, Mega Banette needs attack investment to reliably OHKO regular Gengar with shadow sneak.

Adamant 0 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 222-264 (84.73 - 100.76%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO

Adamant 0 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 176-210 (67.17 - 80.15%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Adamant 252 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 260-308 (99.23 - 117.55%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

Adamant 252 Atk Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 206-246 (78.62 - 93.89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
wouldn't sucker punch be flat out better, and score a OHKO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)