Basculin (BW2 Revamp)

QC: Scraftyisthebest, Swamp Rocket
GP:

[Overview]

<p>Although Basculin's mediocre stats seem to estrange it as a viable option in the RU tier, it has a couple of redeeming qualities that should not be overlooked, primarily its excellent ability in Adaptability. Adaptability turns Basculin's Water-type STAB attacks into powerful weapons, making it an effective revenge killer with its strong priority Aqua Jet, as well as smashing anything that doesn't resist Water-type moves with Waterfall. In addition, access to new coverage moves in Superpower and, most importantly, Zen Headbutt, via BW2 move tutors expands Basculin's otherwise sparse movepool. However, the fighting fish faces stiff competition from other offensive Water-types such as Feraligatr and Kabutops, which have greater bulk as well as the ability to boost their Attack with Swords Dance. Basculin also struggles to break through many common defensive Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Slowking, therefore limiting its effectiveness.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Zen Headbutt
move 4: Crunch / Superpower
item: Choice Band
ability: Adaptability
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set aims for immediate power, using Adaptability-boosted Waterfalls and Aqua Jets to break down walls and revenge kill opposing sweepers. Waterfall hits extremely hard with a Choice Band equipped, reaching a Base Power of 160 thanks to Adaptability. Aqua Jet is an important priority STAB move that allows Basculin to revenge kill boosted sweepers, or clean up a weakened team late-game, as well as strike Choice Scarf users before they can land a hit of their own. The ability to hit common switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Qwilfish, and Poliwrath harder than Basculin's Water-type STAB move of choice makes Zen Headbutt an important move, while Crunch is preferred in the final slot to prevent Slowking from walling the set completely; Superpower is another option to defeat Ferroseed.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Jolly nature is preferred in order to outspeed important threats such as Adamant Entei, Sigilyph, and Rotom. As far as alternate moves go, Double-Edge is an option for decent neutral coverage, and Ice Beam can surprise physical walls expecting a Waterfall, Tangrowth in particular.</p>

<p>Basculin appreciates teammates that can switch into Electric- and Grass-type attacks. Rotom-C and Sceptile make for good partners as they resist these types and can threaten bulky Water-types like Slowking and Alomomola with their STAB attacks. In return Basculin can threaten Fire-types such as Typhlosion, though its frailty means that it cannot switch into even resisted hits; Rotom-C's Volt Switch can often allow Basculin to come in safely. Similarly, Fire-types which can check Grass-type Pokemon like Tangrowth and Amoonguss make for nice teammates. Emboar and Moltres are good examples, with the former often able to absorb sleep-inducing moves if it carries Sleep Talk. Basculin can defeat Rock-types such as Aerodactyl and Rhydon which trouble these Pokemon; but again, it must avoid switching directly in.</p>

<p>Entry hazard support is particularly helpful to wear down opposing Pokemon; two layers of Spikes support allows Basculin to potentially 2HKO Poliwrath as it switches in, making Ferroseed or Roselia good options. Roselia is a particularly good partner as it can completely stop Alomomola; Roselia can safely set up Spikes and recover HP with Giga Drain, while being immune to Toxic and not fearing burns from Scald thanks to Natural Cure. They can also easily take Electric- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Basculin, and in particular check Sceptile and Lilligant well.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Basculin's movepool is quite shallow. It has access to Taunt, which could be useful to shut down defensive Pokemon, but is unwise on a Choiced Set. Aqua Tail is an option over Waterfall, but the decrease in accuracy, as well as the loss of Waterfall's handy flinch chance, is not worth the slight boost in power. A Life Orb can be used to switch moves, although the recoil makes Basculin easier to revenge kill, and the drop in power is noticeable. Finally, Mold Breaker allows Basculin to ignore troublesome abilities such as Water Absorb and Sturdy, but the substantial power decrease means that Adaptability is nearly always the wiser choice.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Generally speaking, Pokemon that can stomach Basculin's strong Water-type STAB attacks make for good checks and counters. Tangrowth and Alomomola can easily switch into any attack, heal any damage with Regenerator, and in Tangrowth's case, KO with its Grass-type STAB moves or cripple something with Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. Qwilfish can also handle Water-type attacks while setting up Spikes to hurt Basculin's hit-and-run style, and also avoids the 2HKO from Zen Headbutt thanks to Intimidate. Similarly, Poliwrath is immune to Waterfall and is not 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt, and can retaliate with strong Fighting-type attacks. Druddigon can stomach any single hit and KO in return, and Amoonguss and Slowking can heal with Regenerator while fearing only Zen Headbutt and Crunch, respectively. Exploiting Basculin's average Speed is a good way to check the hostile fish; Galvantula, Cinccino, Accelgor, and Sceptile are naturally faster and can KO with their strong STAB attacks, though it must be noted that most of these fast and frail checks take a hefty chunk of damage from Aqua Jet.</p>

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
In the Overview, mention how Basculin also faces stiff competition from Crawdaunt, as the latter also has Adaptability, a similar movepool, boosting moves, and a much higher Attack stat. Although Basculin's mono Water typing and much better Speed are its advantages over Crawdaunt. Zen Headbutt should be the primary slash, as it hits Basculin's most common switch-ins (the ones you mentioned), Crunch on the other hand, hits Slowking and Exeggutor, who would otherwise wall you for days (do not mention Mesprit and Dusknoir). In AC, the EV point should not be mentioned, as it is very vague. As for entry hazards, you need to mention the specific KOs that SR or Spikes net; a good example would be that of Sceptile and Gallade, both after Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Also mention what kind of entry hazard setter should be used; Ferroseed has good synergy with Basculin. In OO, mention Basculin's alternative abilities (Reckless if red, Rock Head if blue), but the fact that only Double-Edge is affected by them makes them pretty bad.

Not QC, but those were my two cents Sturdynips

In the Overview, mention how Basculin also faces stiff competition from Crawdaunt, as the latter also has Adaptability, a similar movepool, boosting moves, and a much higher Attack stat. Although Basculin's mono Water typing and much better Speed are its advantages over Crawdaunt.
This is really why Crawdaunt is not comparable. Way, way higher Speed, Aqua Jet (this is really important), mono-Water-typing rather than being Water/Dark... the only way they are similar is that they both have Adapatability and are Water-types. That's basically it (before you say Superpower I think every physical Water Pokemon in RU learns Superpower). The overview right now has the 2 Pokemon I would consider over Basculin (they also have a good speed and Aqua Jet - they lack adaptability but they are bulkier and have set-up moves, so this is fine)

In OO, mention Basculin's alternative abilities (Reckless if red, Rock Head if blue), but the fact that only Double-Edge is affected by them makes them pretty bad.
Don't add this either. Double-Edge has an AC only mention, so putting these abilities in OO is a literal waste of space.

Going off of what you stated in the Set Comments Zen Headbutt probably deserves to be the sole option for slot 3 with the 4th slot being Crunch / Superpower. The only real merit Superpower has is donking Ferroseed and Bouffalant (afrobull can take a Waterfall but always dies to Superpower after Stealth Rock) since Steel-types are generally Water weak in RU and Clefable gets wrecked anyway. Slowking is more important than Ferroseed or Afrobull, but since Poliwrath, Amoonguss, and Qwilfish usually wall Water-types, Zen Headbutt is huge (forgot it could learn Zen Headbutt ._.)

Ice Beam should be slashed imo. Very useful vs common Tangrowth and Amoonguss switch-ins. Life Orb is also better than CB so that should be the main item on the set.

EDIT: v ok that makes sense. should probably be in AC though

Last edited:
DittoCrow: Zen Headbutt does more to Amoonguss than Ice Beam. I think its more of an AC thing, as is that worth giving up hitting Slowking or Ferroseed, and being locked into a fairly weak move? Ice Beam also cannot OHKO Tangrowth and even with Stealth Rock and Spikes the chances are slim, even with a Life Orb

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
  • I'd mention Basculin is kind of weak, it doesn't hit extraordinarily hard so bulkier mons can do somewhat well against it
[SET]
  • Mention why one would want to use this over its competition (mix of decent power and a good Speed tier, unlike say Gatr or Kabutops)
  • Mention which specific Pokemon Superpower hits (Ferroseed, Afrobull, and to a lesser extent Bambi (by that I mean Sawsbuck) for example)
  • Remove Dusknoir, it's horrible
[AC]
  • Mention some other hazard users...Maybe Scolipede, Roselia, or Accelgor since they handle Lilligant and Sceptile pretty well. Qwilfish doesn't really provide much synergy
  • Mention specific Fire-types; such as Moltres or Emboar
[OO]
  • LO might be slash worthy but I oughtta test Basculin some more
[C&C]
  • Zen Headbutt is non negotiable so Basculin without it shouldn't even be a thing
Add all that, and what Swamp said.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone, I have updated with changes.
In particular:
  • Gave Zen Headbutt its own slot
  • Moved Ice Beam to AC
  • Added specific fire types to AC, also removed Qwilfish as a teammate to be replaced by Roselia due to better synergy.
  • Fixed the Checks and Counters section
After testing some more, i've found that Crunch is only useful to hit Slowking and Exeggutor. Any other pokemon weak to Crunch but neutral to Waterfall takes the same damage from the two. Obviously, Slowking becomes a major problem but after reading the feedback i agree it's clear that Zen Headbutt is more important.

I haven't tested Ice Beam yet, but i'm reluctant to slash it in the main set as its only target is Tangrowth. AC seems fair for it though

Edit: I feel that CB is a better option than LO, as Baculin really needs the power to set itself apart from its competition. However i'm willing to slash it or put it in AC if required

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi I am not QC so don't implement this or w/e, until QC agrees or disagrees, but shouldn't Crunch be the primary slash, because Ferroseed, Afrobull, and I guess Crawdaunt are the only things superpower is used for, and Slowking is far more common than all of those combined (and Crawdaunt isn't taking these hits well anyways). Also even though it isn't a OHKO on Afrobull after rocks, I'm p sure waterfall is still nailing it hard. I'm not sure though, that may just be my opinion.

ss234

bop.
Seconding llamas. Slowking is so much more relevant than the other two that there is no reason to slash superpower first.

Also you rlly shouldn't be mentioning hazard support unless you state what ko's spikes + sr achieves or whatever. Otherwise its just fluff and adds nothing, because every sweeper likes hazards 9.9

And can someone please tell me why druddigon isn't mentioned in c&c lol. Drudd doesn't take that much damage from any move, and is extremely relevant in the current metagame. The lack of alomomola mention is also weird, considering mola hard counters every set and can't even be worn down by hazards. Not qc but this should prolly be added in.

Fair point, thanks atomicllamas. I've slashed Crunch first for now, if QC disagrees then w/e, but i think you're probably right as slowking is everywhere right now

Silvershadow234, thanks for the Druddigon tip I don't know how I missed that, lol. I've also added Alomomola to C&C, and made the hazards mention include relevant switch-ins

Sturdynips

• Zen Headbutt doesn't provide coverage vs Fighting types because Waterfall does the same damage with more accuracy.
  • Basculin should not be relied upon as a way to deal with Fire-types since it cannot switch in (you mention this when you mention Rotom-C). As a result, you should mention how it can defeat them, but mention somewhere that its frailty is a large problem when it comes to directly threatening those Pokemon, something Pokemon like Feraligatr do not have a problem with. This goes for all the teammates sections.
  • The last teammate part is fairly random. Even with that considered, Basculin does not break walls that well, it really does better vs offensive because of that strong Aqua Jet and its solid speed.
  • Final Gambit isn't outclassed by Accelgor it just sucks lol. Remove it.
  • Mention Mold Breaker here. It can do fairly well in some scenarios, such as ignoring Water-immune abilities and Sturdy, but mention how it will rarely be more useful that Adaptability. Taunt + Mold Breaker is a pretty solid anti-lead as well I guess.
  • Reorganize the checks and counters now that Zen Headbutt is a sole option for slot 3.
  • Mention Aqua Jet does a chunk to most of the Pokemon in the last bullet point.
Add and I'll stamp.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This looks good to me, I'm reluctant about mentioning Quag though since Waterfall does a good amount to it and the Pokemon in question is not good in the current metagame, outside of that I see nothing wrong with this, so...

QC Approved 1/3

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When you mention Roselia in AC, also mention that it is a fantastic option against Alomomola, which eternally walls the crap out of Basculin. Natural Cure protects it from rare Scald burns while it's immune to Toxic and can turn Momo into Spikes fodder or easy HP recovery with Giga Drain. Other options to handle Alomomola include Rotom-C and Sceptile. Add this, and consider this:

QC Approved 3/3

When you mention Roselia in AC, also mention that it is a fantastic option against Alomomola, which eternally walls the crap out of Basculin. Natural Cure protects it from rare Scald burns while it's immune to Toxic and can turn Momo into Spikes fodder or easy HP recovery with Giga Drain. Other options to handle Alomomola include Rotom-C and Sceptile. Add this, and consider this:

QC Approved 3/3
Done, thanks! This is ready for GP

<3
[Overview]
While Although Basculin's mediocre stats seem to estrange it as a viable option in the RU tier, it has a couple of redeeming qualities that should not be overlooked, primarily its excellent ability in Adaptability. Adaptability turns Basculin's Water-type STAB attacks into powerful weapons, making it an effective revenge killer with its strong priority Aqua Jet, as well as smashing anything that doesn't resist Water-type moves with Waterfall. In addition, access to new coverage moves in Superpower and, importantly, Zen Headbutt, via BW2 move tutors expands Basculin's otherwise sparse movepool. However, the fighting fish faces strong competition from other offensive Water-types such as Feraligatr and Kabutops, which have greater bulk as well as the ability to boost their Attack with Swords Dance. Basculin also struggles to break through many common defensive Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Slowking, therefore limiting its effectiveness.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
This set aims for immediate power, using Adaptability-boosted Waterfall and Aqua Jet to break down walls and revenge kill opposing sweepers. Waterfall hits extremely hard with a Choice Band equipped, reaching a base power Base Power of 160 thanks to Adaptability. Aqua Jet is an important priority STAB move that allows Basculin to revenge kill boosted sweepers, or clean up a weakened team late-game, as well as strike Choice Scarf users before they can land a hit of their own. The ability to hit common switch-(AH)ins such as Amoonguss, Qwilfish, and Poliwrath harder than Basculin's Water-type STAB move of choice makes Zen Headbutt an important move, while Crunch is preferred in the final slot to prevent Slowking from walling the set completely, though ;(semi) Superpower is another viable option to defeat Ferroseed.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
A Jolly nature is preferred in order to outspeed important threats such as Adamant Entei, Sigilyph, and Rotom. As far as alternate moves go, Double-(AH)Edge is an option for decent neutral coverage, and Ice Beam can surprise physical walls expecting a Waterfall, in particular Tangrowth in particular.

Basculin appreciates teammates that can switch into Electric-(AH) and Grass-type attacks. Rotom-C and Sceptile make for good partners as they resist these types and can threaten bulky Water-types like Slowking and Alomomola with their STAB attacks. In return Basculin can threaten Fire-types such as Typholsion Typhlosion, however though its frailty means that it cannot switch into even resisted hits; Rotom-C's Volt Switch can often allow Basculin to come in safely. Similarly, Fire-types which can check Grass-type Pokemon like Tangrowth and Amoonguss make for nice teammates. Emboar and Moltres are good examples, with the former often able to absorb sleep-inducing moves if it carries Sleep Talk. Basculin can defeat Rock-types such as Aerodactyl and Rhydon which trouble these Pokemon,(change to semi) however, again it must avoid switching directly in.

Entry hazard support is particularly helpful to wear down opposing Pokemon; two layers of Spikes support allows Basculin to potentially 2HKO Poliwrath as it switches in, therefore making Ferroseed or Roselia are good options. Roselia is a particularly good partner as it can completely stop Alomomola; Roselia can safely set up Spikes and recover HP with Giga Drain, while being immune to Toxic and not fearing burns from Scald thanks to Natural Cure. They can also easily take Electric- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Basculin, and in particular check Sceptile and Lilligant well.

[Other Options]
Basculin's movepool is quite shallow. It has access to Taunt,(AC) which could be useful to shut down defensive Pokemon, but is unwise on a Choiced Set. Aqua Tail is an option to be used over Waterfall, but the decrease in accuracy is not worth the slight boost in power, as well as the loss of Waterfall's handy flinch chance, is not worth the slight boost in power. A Life Orb can be used to switch moves, although the recoil makes Basculin easier to revenge kill, and the drop in power is noticeable. Finally, Mold Breaker allows Basculin to ignore troublesome abilities such as Water Absorb and Sturdy, but the substantial power decrease means that Adaptability is nearly always the wiser choice.

[Checks and Counters]
Generally speaking, Pokemon that can stomach Basculin's strong Water-type STAB attacks make for good checks and counters. Tangrowth and Alomomola can easily switch into any attack, heal any damage with Regenerator, and in Tangrowth's case,(AC) KO with its Grass-type STAB moves or cripple something with Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. Qwilfish can also handle Water-type attacks while setting up Spikes to hurt Basculin's hit and run hit-and-run style, and avoiding the 2HKO from Zen Headbutt thanks to Intimidate. Similarly, Poliwrath is immune to Waterfall and is not 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt, and can retaliate with strong Fighting-type attacks. Druddigon can stomach any single hit and KO in return, and Amoonguss and Slowking can heal with Regenerator while fearing only Zen Headbutt and Crunch, respectively. Exploiting Basculin's average Speed is a good way to check the hostile fish; Galvantula, Cinccino, Accelgor, and Sceptile are naturally faster and can KO with their strong STAB attacks, though it must be noted that most of these fast and frail checks take a hefty chunk of damage from Aqua Jet.

1/2

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
GP Check

[Overview]
(line)
Although Basculin's mediocre stats seem to estrange it as a viable option in the RU tier, it has a couple of redeeming qualities that should not be overlooked, primarily its excellent ability in Adaptability. Adaptability turns Basculin's Water-type STAB attacks into powerful weapons, making it an effective revenge killer with its strong priority Aqua Jet, as well as smashing anything that doesn't resist Water-type moves with Waterfall. In addition, access to new coverage moves in Superpower and, most importantly, Zen Headbutt, via BW2 move tutors expands Basculin's otherwise sparse movepool. However, the fighting fish faces strong stiff competition from other offensive Water-types such as Feraligatr and Kabutops, which have greater bulk as well as the ability to boost their Attack with Swords Dance. Basculin also struggles to break through many common defensive Pokemon such as Tangrowth and Slowking, therefore limiting its effectiveness.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
(line)
This set aims for immediate power, using Adaptability-boosted Waterfall Waterfalls and Aqua Jet Aqua Jets to break down walls and revenge kill opposing sweepers. Waterfall hits extremely hard with a Choice Band equipped, reaching a Base Power of 160 thanks to Adaptability. Aqua Jet is an important priority STAB move that allows Basculin to revenge kill boosted sweepers, or clean up a weakened team late-game, as well as strike Choice Scarf users before they can land a hit of their own. The ability to hit common switch-ins such as Amoonguss, Qwilfish, and Poliwrath harder than Basculin's Water-type STAB move of choice makes Zen Headbutt an important move, while Crunch is preferred in the final slot to prevent Slowking from walling the set completely; Superpower is another option to defeat Ferroseed.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
(line)
A Jolly nature is preferred in order to outspeed important threats such as Adamant Entei, Sigilyph, and Rotom. As far as alternate moves go, Double-Edge is an option for decent neutral coverage, and Ice Beam can surprise physical walls expecting a Waterfall, Tangrowth in particular.

Basculin appreciates teammates that can switch into Electric- and Grass-type attacks. Rotom-C and Sceptile make for good partners as they resist these types and can threaten bulky Water-types like Slowking and Alomomola with their STAB attacks. In return Basculin can threaten Fire-types such as Typhlosion, though its frailty means that it cannot switch into even resisted hits; Rotom-C's Volt Switch can often allow Basculin to come in safely. Similarly, Fire-types which can check Grass-type Pokemon like Tangrowth and Amoonguss make for nice teammates. Emboar and Moltres are good examples, with the former often able to absorb sleep-inducing moves if it carries Sleep Talk. Basculin can defeat Rock-types such as Aerodactyl and Rhydon which trouble these Pokemon; however, but again,(AC) it must avoid switching directly in.

Entry hazard support is particularly helpful to wear down opposing Pokemon; two layers of Spikes support allows Basculin to potentially 2HKO Poliwrath as it switches in, making Ferroseed or Roselia good options. Roselia is a particularly good partner as it can completely stop Alomomola; Roselia can safely set up Spikes and recover HP with Giga Drain, while being immune to Toxic and not fearing burns from Scald thanks to Natural Cure. They can also easily take Electric- and Grass-type attacks aimed at Basculin, and in particular check Sceptile and Lilligant well.

(remove line)
[Other Options]
(line)
Basculin's movepool is quite shallow. It has access to Taunt, which could be useful to shut down defensive Pokemon, but is unwise on a Choiced Set. Aqua Tail is an option to be used over Waterfall, but the decrease in accuracy, as well as the loss of Waterfall's handy flinch chance, is not worth the slight boost in power,(RC).(AP) A Life Orb can be used to switch moves, although the recoil makes Basculin easier to revenge kill, and the drop in power is noticeable. Finally, Mold Breaker allows Basculin to ignore troublesome abilities such as Water Absorb and Sturdy, but the substantial power decrease means that Adaptability is nearly always the wiser choice.

(remove line)
[Checks and Counters]
(line)
Generally speaking, Pokemon that can stomach Basculin's strong Water-type STAB attacks make for good checks and counters. Tangrowth and Alomomola can easily switch into any attack, heal any damage with Regenerator, and in Tangrowth's case, KO with its Grass-type STAB moves or cripple something with Sleep Powder or Stun Spore. Qwilfish can also handle Water-type attacks while setting up Spikes to hurt Basculin's hit-and-run style, and avoiding also avoids the 2HKO from Zen Headbutt thanks to Intimidate. Similarly, Poliwrath is immune to Waterfall and is not 2HKOed by Zen Headbutt, and can retaliate with strong Fighting-type attacks. Druddigon can stomach any single hit and KO in return, and Amoonguss and Slowking can heal with Regenerator while fearing only Zen Headbutt and Crunch, respectively. Exploiting Basculin's average Speed is a good way to check the hostile fish; Galvantula, Cinccino, Accelgor, and Sceptile are naturally faster and can KO with their strong STAB attacks, though it must be noted that most of these fast and frail checks take a hefty chunk of damage from Aqua Jet.
Great job Sturdynips!

GP Approved 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)