Not open for further replies.

Overview
########
• Better-than-average speed
• Decent Attack
• Fantastic Abilitiy (Adaptability)
• Access to priority with Aqua Jet
• Makes a good revenge-killer and cleaning up late-game
• Niche over other Water-types: Has STAB priority with Aqua Jet in tandem with Adaptablility
• Defenses are pretty awful
• Can be easily out-speed by anything base 100 or higher
• Can be easily KO'd by even resisted moves

RED PHISH BLUE PHISH (Mixed Attacker)
########
RED PHISH BLUE PHISH (Mixed Attacker)
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Waterfall
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Superpower
move 4: Ice Beam
ability: Adaptability
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive

Moves
========
• Waterfall main STAB, boosted to 160 after Adaptability. Also flinch chance is good.
• Aqua Jet gives him great priority and STAB boost to 80 Base Power.
• Zen Headbutt hit threats like Poliwrath and Roselia who would normally resist Basculin's moves.
• Superpower hits the Normal- and Ice- types such as Avalugg and hard and hit Carracosta harder
• Ice Beam 2HKO's common switch-in's such as Tangela and Gourgeist

Set Details
========
• Nature should be Naive, as most of the pokes that try to revenge-kill Basculin are physical
• Life Orb doesn't force Basculin into a move and gives him a solid power boost.
• Always go max Speed and Attack.

Usage Tips
========
• Basculin can hardly take even a resisted move. If possibly, always try to go for a clean switch in.
• Aqua Jet is nifty for revenge killing the likes of Ninetails and other sweepers.
• Try to predict obvious switches such as Tangela and Ice Beam it on the switch.
• Watch out for Water Absorbers and Storm Drainers, namely Poliwrath, and Lapras. Try to avoid using Water attacks as they can get a free switch in plus health recovery to boot. Although Basculin cannot 2HKO Poliwrath unless it runs Zen Headbutt.
• Also stay away from opponents who attempt to use Thunder Wave or Will-o-Wisp, as status can severely cripple Basculin.

Team Options
========
• Grass types such as Roselia, and Tangela can remove those pesky Water-types and allow Basculin to spam Waterfall and Aqua Jet with glee.
• Hazard Setters such as Piloswine are useful if you want to ensure KO's. After Stealth Rock, Basculin can 2HKO Gourgeist, almost always 2HKO Poliwrath, and always OHKO Ninetails.
• Fire- or Flying-types such as Togetic and Ninetails are also recommended as Basculin can easily be walled by physically defensive Grass-types
• Ground-Types such as Marowak (and again Piloswine) can take out speedy Electric-types that destroy Basculin.
• Electric-types such as Raichu and Rotom-F remove the likes of Pelipper
• Set up sweepers such as Nasty Plot Ninetails and SD Leafeon appreciate Basculin's wall-breaking abilities.

Other Options
########
• A Choice Band could be used to get a more powerful Attack, but locking Basculin into a move is a risky deal.
• Hidden Power Electric could be used on a Special Attacking Basculin to hit the Water-Flying or plain Water-types that would normally shut Basculin down.
• Choice Scarf is an option if you're willing to sacrifice speed over power.
• Taunt could be an option if not running a choice item as you can eliminate status and hazard users.

Checks & Counters
########

**Pelipper** This mon is the perfect counter to Basculin. All of Basculin's physical moves won't even put a dent in the pelican. Even Ice Beam can only 3HKO after Stealth Rock, which Pelipper can just Roost off the damage. Scald can burn Basculin, crippling it severely. Also Pelipper can Defog any entry hazards that help Basculin ensure those KO's.

**Bulky Grass Types**: Pokemon such as Tangela, Roselia, Gourgeist, and can wall nearly every attack Basculin throws. Although he can 2HKO with Ice Beam, if the switch isn't predicted, he can easily be paralyzed or burned, crippling Basculin drastically. Plus the opponent could just retaliate back with Grass-type STAB, dealing massive damage.

**Electric-Types**: Fast Electric-type such as the likes of Electrode and Raichu can outspeed and KO with their super-effective STAB, although Aqua Jet can KO if they are at low health.

**Water-Types**: The likes of Poliwrath, Politoad, and Prinplup completely shut out Basculin. However, Zen Headbutt can do some serious damage to Poliwrath so prediction of switches is crucial. To boot, more powerful water types such as Kingler and Carracosta can easily switch into a Basculin using a NVE move and easily set up.

**Faster Pokémon** Mon's like Tauros, and Sneasel can easily outspeed Basculin, KO if not at full health, and in most cases, can take an Aqua Jet if at high health.

**Status** Paralysis forces Basculin to use the less-powerful Aqua Jet and the fact that 1/2 of the time he does nothing also is crippling. Plus paralysis makes him much easier to revenge kill. Getting burned also is horrible for Basculin as his attacks will now hardly put a dent in his opponents.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Other Options should be before Checks and Counters, and you have the incorrect formatting for C&C too. Check the main template or other analyses if you're unfamiliar with the formatting.

Zen Headbutt is useful for nailing Poliwrath and Roselia super effectively. It probably should be mentioned before Crunch (which hits only Gourgeist, which Basculin also still loses against), and after Double-Edge (which hits Water-types for the most damage).

Btw, super effective Crunch hits for the exact same amount of damage as Adaptability Waterfall, so only mention Crunch targets that take less damage from Waterfall (like the aforementioned Gourgeist).

I feel like a Mold Breaker set should be mentioned. It helps nail just about every relevant sturdy lead with a really hard water attack (i have no idea if it ohkes most of them but w/e)

Other Options should be before Checks and Counters, and you have the incorrect formatting for C&C too. Check the main template or other analyses if you're unfamiliar with the formatting.

Zen Headbutt is useful for nailing Poliwrath and Roselia super effectively. It probably should be mentioned before Crunch (which hits only Gourgeist, which Basculin also still loses against), and after Double-Edge (which hits Water-types for the most damage).

Btw, super effective Crunch hits for the exact same amount of damage as Adaptability Waterfall, so only mention Crunch targets that take less damage from Waterfall (like the aforementioned Gourgeist).
Whoops, sorry. I'll try to fix the C&C's as soon as I can. (school sucks)

I feel like a Mold Breaker set should be mentioned. It helps nail just about every relevant sturdy lead with a really hard water attack (i have no idea if it ohkes most of them but w/e)
I considered mentioning Mold Breaker, but Basculin really needs the Adaptability boost to be powerful. I'll try to give it a quick shout out, though.

I personally think a physical life orb/mystic water set should receive a full set. it is very powerful, and handles multiple pokemon which the band set can't do. Life orb for power, mystic water to bluff band

You should probably mention the mixed ice beam lo set, as it's really good. Mystic water in general is relatively bad because the things that are walling the band set are walling it too, not sure what you're even getting surprise kills on.

Gourghost

Banned deucer.
Bumping this thread, as well as a few suggestions from me.

In the overview, I really think you should expand a bit more on points. Few examples:

- Fantastic ability (why?)
- Access to priority (what forme of priority)
- Makes a good revenge-killer and cleaning up late-game (why)
- Defenses of damp toilet tissue (lol)
- Can easily KO'd by even resisted moves (because of what)

Set:

########
RED PHISH BLUE PHISH
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Double Edge / Zen Headbutt / Crunch
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

also that name lol, I think you should put (Physical Choice) after or something
Should be like this:

RED PHISH BLUE PHISH (Physical Choice)
########
RED PHISH BLUE PHISH (Phyiscal Choice)
move 3: Superpower
move 4: Double Edge / Zen Headbutt / Crunch
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Moves:

- I think you should mention that Double-Edge offers neutral coverage, and the types that do resist it/are immune to it, are hit neutrally by Waterfall (most of them)
- Crunch super effects ghosts and psychic types that would normally resist Basculin's STAB's like Gourgeist.

Ghost and Psychic-types do not resist Water-type attacks ?_?

Set Details:

- Also, I don't really think you should mention that YOU yourself prefers something. Just mention why its better, leaving 'I think' n stuff out.
- Always go max HP and Attack. (Why?)
- Why are you mentioning that Double-Edge is better than Crunch? Just mention that in moves, I think.

Usage Tips:

- Basculin doesn't really care about entry hazards since he's not meant to last that long, anyway. (Why isn't it meant to last long?) Also about Sticky Web, Basculin can still move first and strike with Aqua Jet.
- I think you should mention you should switch out when you're predicting an opponent to go for twave/wow, as these really stop basculin from doing its job successfully.

Team Options:
- Examples of Hazard setters, fire and flying pokemon, and ground types?
- CLERIC SUPPORT SHOULD BE IN HERE. Basculin's potential is mostly to all wasted after burn/paralyze.

Set:
- Just put either Rash or Mild. There's no reason to run either one, I think.
- I think this better be renamed to Specially-base Mixed Attacker

Moves:
- Imo make superpower and final gambit two seperate points.

TO;
• Taunt users can be used to force a switch-in, letting Basculin enter the fray scot-free. I don't get this point. I would edit/remove that.

Other Options:
- Taunt can go in OO, i guess.

C&C:

- Mention burn and paralysis.

That's it for me, I think I forgot some stuff too because checked this relatively quick, ill leave the rest up to qc members.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
########
Just mention adaptability, mold breaker isnt relevant
Mention it can be easily walled by pokes like tangela
Mention what its niche is over other water types

RED PHISH BLUE PHISH (Physical Choice)
########
Remove choice scarf; i would rather use pokemon with more strength and harder to wall

Moves
========
Order should be zen headbut/double edge/crunch

Set Details
========
Examples of what it beats with adamant nature

Usage Tips
========
zen headbut 2hkos wrath, also remove mention of lumineon
reword the last line to say 'avoid' instead of 'predict'
Mention it can revenge kill w/ aqua het

Team Options
========
examples of fire/flying/ground pokes.
Remove the sticky web mention, it doesnt need it. Give example of hazard setters.

F-ish (Special-based Mixed Attacker)
########
Remove this imo. I dont see the niche in this set when other water types like simipour do this a lot better

Other Options
########
Mention a special based set here to lure in counters (ice beam for tangela/gourgeist, hp electric for waters)

Checks & Counters
########

**Electric-Types**: Give the examples of the electric pokes at the start, eg electric-types, such as x,

**Water Absorbers / Storm Drain**: Remove the 3hko part, as most poliwrath run subpunch, in which basc 2hkos

**Bulky Grass Types**: Move this to the front of c&c

**Priority or being outspeed**: Remove choice scarf mention and change the examples of priority attackers to ones who are slower

**Status** Examples

Bug Catcher Will

Done (mostly). I couldn't come up with any specific examples of Adamant > Jolly, even after fiddling with the damage calculator.

F-ish (Special-based Mixed Attacker)
########
Remove this imo. I dont see the niche in this set when other water types like simipour do this a lot better
I dunno about this. I feel like I should give at least some variety rather than just a single possible set.

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dunno about this. I feel like I should give at least some variety rather than just a single possible set.
Meh ): A lot of Pokemon work like this because other Pokemon outclass them at doing another set better. For example, Pelipper has only one set and you wouldn't see me running Life Orb Rain Dance on it because Mantine does it better. I think it should probably be removed.

**Water Absorbers / Storm Drain**: The likes of Poliwrath and Mantine completely shut out Basculin. Spamming Double Edge will just make Basculin kill itself. Plus Poliwrath can just run Sub-Punch.
Why is Storm Drain there? The two Pokemon you mentioned only use Water Absorb / Swift Swim and the Pokemon who get Storm Drain in PU are Lumineon and Maractus which are both really bad. Change it to **Water Absorb**: if anything.

Meh ): A lot of Pokemon work like this because other Pokemon outclass them at doing another set better. For example, Pelipper has only one set and you wouldn't see me running Life Orb Rain Dance on it because Mantine does it better. I think it should probably be removed.
I got removed the set and briefly mentioned it in Other Options

Why is Storm Drain there? The two Pokemon you mentioned only use Water Absorb / Swift Swim and the Pokemon who get Storm Drain in PU are Lumineon and Maractus which are both really bad. Change it to **Water Absorb**: if anything.
Fixed.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey, not QC, but I have some comments.
  • Language like "damp toilet tissue" really isnt acceptable in analyses, as its too informal and you're much better off saying "it has terrible defenses" or something like that which gets straight to the point. Same goes for stuff like "is allergic to" and "that turn Basculin into a #7 at Long John Silver's" (idk what that even is :P).
  • When you say things such as "Superpower hits the Normal- and Ice- types hard" it is important to provide examples for those pokemon. You did that in some other parts of the analysis, but just try and give examples all places where possible.
  • If you can, I suggest looking at the speed tiers to see what a jolly nature outspeeds and if an adamant nature gets basculin any significant OHKOs or 2HKOs, as when you back up things with evidence it looks much better.
  • What does aqua jet revenge kill? List faster pokemon such as ninetales that are important targets.
  • In usage tips, I would not say predict if the opponent is going to use thunder wave or willo, as basculin should stay away from all forms of status.
  • In other options, elaborate on what taunt does, as it shuts down defensive pokemon by preventing status moves, entry hazards, and healing.
  • In checks and counters, I would definitely add in the water-absorb section that poliwrath is hit very hard by zen headbutt so prediction is required. Mantine is also 2HKOed by double edge after stealth rock, add that as well.
  • When talking about status moves, say exactly what they do - burn halves its attack, paralysis cripples its speed, and poison puts a timer on it.
  • In addition, priority should probably have its own section and be separated, and being outsped should be changed to "faster attackers (or pokemon)".
Hope I helped.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bug Catcher Will.

Firstly do what boltsandbombers has said. I assume you would change it when you write it up, but might as well make in proper now.
Its niche is pretty much aqua jet; otherwise pokes like kingler hit harder, or have better assets like dual STAB
Also make jolly the only slash, however mention adamant in set details. Jolly beats pokemon like haunter, chatot and frostom (and more ofc), which is worth the loss of damage.
In set details, remove the mention of choice scarf. Add scarf to oo
Lastly, change water absorbs pokes to water types in c&c

Fixed (unless I missed something. lol.)

Also,
"that turn Basculin into a #7 at Long John Silver's" (idk what that even is :P).
The joke I was going for was that Long John Silver's is a chain of fast-food that sells fish. A #7 (or any number for that matter) is a number the establishment assigns to certain orders on the menu. Basically it was my failed attempt at a "fish fry" joke.

Anty

let's drop
SD:
No need to mention Timid haunter and chatot, as they always use timid

UT:
Basculin doesn't really care about entry hazards since he's not meant to last that long, anyway due to his crap defenses. The exception is Sticky Web. Although he can still hit first with Aqua Jet unless vs. other priority.
No need for that line; it doesnt really say how to or not to use it

C&C
**Bulky Grass Types**: Change the wording of the first line, 'crap' shouldnt be used
**Electric-Types**: Remove mention of scarf, as it is not in the set
**Water-Types**: Change mantine to politoed. Also mention more like carracosta/kingler can set up if basc is locked into a weak/nve move
**Priority**: Mention better exmples like mightyena and kecleon
**Faster Pokémon** Dont mention quick attack purugly
**Status**: Properly write this out.

Bug Catcher Will

SD:
No need to mention Timid haunter and chatot, as they always use timid

UT:
Basculin doesn't really care about entry hazards since he's not meant to last that long, anyway due to his crap defenses. The exception is Sticky Web. Although he can still hit first with Aqua Jet unless vs. other priority.
No need for that line; it doesnt really say how to or not to use it

C&C
**Bulky Grass Types**: Change the wording of the first line, 'crap' shouldnt be used
**Electric-Types**: Remove mention of scarf, as it is not in the set
**Water-Types**: Change mantine to politoed. Also mention more like carracosta/kingler can set up if basc is locked into a weak/nve move
**Priority**: Mention better exmples like mightyena and kecleon
**Faster Pokémon** Dont mention quick attack purugly
**Status**: Properly write this out.

Bug Catcher Will
Fixed. Anything else?

Anty

let's drop
C&C still has problems:
**Bulky Grass Types**: 'making him a lame duck'. You need to reword things like this
'Or he can be Giga Drained, which has about a 25% chance to OHKO at full health'. This doesnt make much sense either; just say that the opponent can retaliate back with their Grass-type STAB move

**Electric-Types**: just say the electric types deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Also thy cannot switch in and can be KO'd by aqua jet if at low health

**Water-Types**: You still mention mantine here. Change the kingler/costa thing to setting up on a weaker move.

**Priority**: You didnt change this at all

**Faster Pokémon** Mention more examples. Also remove scythers quick attack as that doesnt do much

**Status** You still havent written this out properly

Bug Catcher Will

C&C still has problems:
**Bulky Grass Types**: 'making him a lame duck'. You need to reword things like this
'Or he can be Giga Drained, which has about a 25% chance to OHKO at full health'. This doesnt make much sense either; just say that the opponent can retaliate back with their Grass-type STAB move

**Electric-Types**: just say the electric types deal heavy damage with their STAB moves. Also thy cannot switch in and can be KO'd by aqua jet if at low health

**Water-Types**: You still mention mantine here. Change the kingler/costa thing to setting up on a weaker move.

**Priority**: You didnt change this at all

**Faster Pokémon** Mention more examples. Also remove scythers quick attack as that doesnt do much

**Status** You still havent written this out properly

Bug Catcher Will
Corrected.........hopefully.

Anty

let's drop
In C&C, water type: remove mention of mantine, and status: mention that paralysis makes it easy to revenge kill.
Bug Catcher Will

e: after talking on irc, lo + ice beam is the best set. Sorry for little info now, it hopefully will be sorted out tommorrow

Last edited:
In C&C, water type: remove mention of mantine, and status: mention that paralysis makes it easy to revenge kill.
Bug Catcher Will

e: after talking on irc, lo + ice beam is the best set. Sorry for little info now, it hopefully will be sorted out tommorrow
Well......kinda regretting not saving the second set in a document before deleting it. fml. Setbacks aside, I'll make the second set mentioned when I can. Extra details in the future will also be nice.

Anty

let's drop
Bug Catcher Will

It is similar to the first
Mixed attacker
########
Mixed attacker
move 3: Zen Headbutt / Superpower
move 4: Ice Beam
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Niave

Ice Beam lets it bait in and 2HKO both Tangela and gourgeist

e: this should be the only set, CB should go in oo

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Are you still working on this Bug Catcher Will ? You have yet to implement Anty's mixed set. I agree with a mixed set being added, less sure about removing Band (though I can be persuaded). You have 48 hours to implement, or I will reassign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)