Basculin [Skeleton] [QC 3/3] [GP 0/2]

First analysis, don't be too harsh ;p

QC [3/3] - Zdrup15, Oglemi and PK Gaming

GP - I am writing it now, I suck at writing so much it's not even funny xD
----------------------------------------------

[Overview]
<p>At first sight, Basculin may seem like a run of the mill Water-type outclassed by the likes of Qwilfish and even Whiscash. But Basculin holds one key trait that seperates him from the rest; Adaptability which effectively doubles Basculin's STAB Water-type moves. Basculin also has a couple of niche moves in Taunt and Aqua Jet which allow him to break stall and act as an effective revenge killer respectively, however not all is good for hostile Pokemon, besides having mediocre stats, Basculin also suffers from having an extremely limited move-pool consisting of Water, Normal and Dark-Type moves limiting Basculins effectiveness.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Double-Edge
move 4: Crunch / Toxic
item: Choice Band
ability: Adaptability
nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Designed to "hit & run",
  • Powerful STAB moves after Adaptability is factored in.
  • Water / Normal provodes decent neutral coverage.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Adamant can be used if you feel the damage output is too little.
  • Toxic is an option to wear down walls such as Uxie
  • This set works well with Sap Sipper Pokemon such as Bouffalant / Sawsbuck, especially Sawsbuck since it also resists resist Electric.

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Crunch / Double-Edge
move 4: Taunt
item: Life Orb
ability: Adaptability
nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Looks similar to the last set, but functions in a very different way.
  • Gives stall some trouble
  • Use taunt to shut down any defensive threats that might run into Basculins way such as Qwilfish.
  • Exact same coverage as the choice band set.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Double-Edge can be used over Crunch for better neutral coverage.
  • This set also greatly appreciates hazard support to help wear down walls such as Ferroseed and with Taunt, Ferroseed is essentially a sitting duck.

[OTHER OPTIONS]

• Unfortunately, Basculin doesn't have many options outside of the ones listed.
  • Agility is an option but speed isn't Basculins main concern.
  • Basculin also has access Final gambit and substitute
  • Final Gambit is essentially useless on a Pokemon with such low HP and takes a lot of residual damage.
  • Substitute can be used to avoid status such as paralysis, although Basculin generally needs Life Orb to be effective, So this would need wish support.
  • Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall for the extra power, but the accuracy loss generally isn't worth it on such a frail Pokemon.
  • Return can also be used over Double-Edge if you don't want any extra damage, but any non-STAB move from Basculin is generally very weak.

[CHECKS & COUNTERS]

- Ferroseed
- Qwilfish can take any hit and proceed to set-up on him, although should be cautious of the taunt
- Tangrowth resists Basculins STAB and also has high defence to take any other hit.
- Poliwrath is immune to Basculins water move, resists Crunch and can deal a lot of damage back.
- Uxie has high defence, crunch won't do a lot, but should be afraid of the possible taunt.

[DREAM WORLD]

Mold Breaker is generally outclassed by Adaptability,

---------------------------------------------------
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-YoungsterKeiran-vs-I-am-a-walrus--2011-11-24 [Some evidence of Basculin being effective]

This is very good for a first analysis. I'm not 100% sure if basculin needs two sets...
I would combine the two sets, or just have a choice band, but I'll let QC weigh in.

On the CB, definitely remove toxic. Choice Banders will usually switch out often, but it's still not good to be locked into a toxic, and basculin doesn't have the bulk to stall out a toxic.

I would stick with an adamant nature, because basculin Has fairly average attack (don't
get me wrong, it's not bad) and it has a troll-ish speed of 98, so it will outspeed most of the tier.

Like I said before, up you should (probably) just throw toxic into OO, basculin lacks the bulk for something like that.

Go into detail a little more on CC. And also you left out the [SET COMMENTS]]

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is very good for a first analysis. I'm not 100% sure if basculin needs two sets...
I would combine the two sets, or just have a choice band, but I'll let QC weigh in.

On the CB, definitely remove toxic. Choice Banders will usually switch out often, but it's still not good to be locked into a toxic, and basculin doesn't have the bulk to stall out a toxic.

I would stick with an adamant nature, because basculin Has fairly average attack (don't
get me wrong, it's not bad) and it has a troll-ish speed of 98, so it will outspeed most of the tier.

Like I said before, up you should (probably) just throw toxic into OO, basculin lacks the bulk for something like that.

Go into detail a little more on CC. And also you left out the [SET COMMENTS]]

ugh, the two sets serve different purposes, taunt LO gives stall trouble, while CB hits like a truck.

just keep adamant as a slash, it outsppeds positive base 95's

toxic is to hit slowking

checks and counters is fine.

but yea, you forgot set comments.

Oh shi- I got Additional comments & set comments mixed up, the additional comments before you were supposed to be the set comments. :P

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, the EVs. The order should always be: HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe. So in your case it should be 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe.

Crunch should be the first slash on the second set's third slot because Slowking is everywhere. Otherwise

QC APPROVED 1/3

Perhaps mention "power vs. reliability" alternatives in OO?

Aqua Tail instead of Waterfall, for the trade of a bit of power for accuracy, although I'm not sure myself if the extra power helps him turn any 2KOs into OHKOs or whatnot.

And I understand that this little fishy needs as much power as he can get, but I think you should mention Return just to cover your bases, for those players who want to play things safe.

Unlike, say, Double-Edge (<- correct spelling by the way), Crunch provides you with super effective coverage, so mention that.

Final Gambit is useless when you have a total of 282 HP to work with. Basculin will be taking a ton of residual damage, rendering Final Gambit as weak.

Finally, mention what the counters and checks can do to Basculin. This isn't a list; explain what they do.

Updated, added a hyphen to Double-Edge and expanded on C&C and OO. Thanks guys, the general gist to countering Basculin is high defence + resist water but should be afraid of the taunt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)