SM OU Basic Offense

Hello! I have never made a thread or anything like this so this is my first time! if this gets taken down that's fine. anyways I have this team that is very basic kind of bulky offense so here it is!

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic
I wanted to put zygarde just because its one of if not the best pokemon in the meta right now and its band set is very good and I needed a wallbreaker. there isn't much to say about zygarde though.

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
I liked having shift gear magearna and greninja together because gren can take out ghost, fairy, and psychic types that are not weak to fighting electric or ice, so its easier to sweep.

Greninja @ Expert Belt
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
I wanted greninja because it helps with serp and magearna. this team isn't the best against tapu fini (and I really hate tapu fini lol) so having gunk shot can also help with tapu fini and all the other tapus.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
mew is a pretty good defensive pokemon and I needed a pokemon for mega medicham. I also needed a defog pokemon.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
I am using serperior because I needed a wallbreaker and a pokemon that could "clean up" other than magearna, because you have to shift gear with magearna to be fast.

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt
I was gonna make this mega lopunny ;-; but its not out yet. but anyways mega medicham is a great pokemon and it goes somewhat well with this team. when lopunny comes out I'm not sure if this team will change but it might. so if you have any questions/suggestions about it feel free to ask!

I like your ideas and your team, but I feel as this could be improved.

Zygarde: Yes, Zygarde is a good Pokemon. But I don't see what you are going for here. Toxic and a choice item? Let me fix it. First, replace the Choice Band for a Sitrus Berry, as it is more defensive that way. Next, Replace Outrage for Core Enforcer, as outrage isn't good for a defensive Pokemon.

I Really like your Magearna, so moving on.

Greninja really isn't that great with Serperior and Magearna, but more like Garchomp, Landorous-T, Gliscor, etc.

Oh? I've never seen a defensive Mew before. If you are going for a stalling mew, change the 64 Spe EV for 64 SpD EV. That way, it can be defensive. Other than that, good job.

Umm...I hate to break it to you, but Serperior is a fast wall, not a wall breaker. More like IS a wall. If you want a wall breaker...

Tapu-Bulu @ Grassium Z/Rockium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Horn Leech
-SuperPower
-Wood Hammer/Stone Edge

There's really no point in talking about Mega Medicham, as you have got it from the Strategy dex.

I hope this helps you in the future!

Thanks! ill try and use what you said to improve my teambuilding! (as you can see I'm pretty bad at making teams lol)

oh and with this team do you think superpower or stone edge would go better if I'm using zygarde as a banded pokemon? and the reason for speed on mew if max speed magearna.

Last edited:
Not a full rate but I just wanted to say that Toxic on CB Zygarde is actually really good (it's on the Smogon analysis for a reason). Toxic lets you cripple defensive switch-ins like Tangrowth or the Tapus (outside of Fini). And Outrage is also much better than core enforcer considering Zygarde has a much higher base attack stat and outrage is also good for tangrowths on teams with cleric support (i.e those that can heal off the toxic). Your original Zygarde was fine, so I wouldn't listen to the other guy (sorry to him)

Sorry Trueblade but I have to disagree with the way you've rated this team. I mean absolutely no offense by this but it's fairly obvious that you aren't really too familiar with the OU metagame. I hope that by pointing out some mistakes in your rating I can help you become more familiar with the metagame and also provide a rate for OP's team!

Zygarde: Yes, Zygarde is a good Pokemon. But I don't see what you are going for here. Toxic and a choice item? Let me fix it. First, replace the Choice Band for a Sitrus Berry, as it is more defensive that way. Next, Replace Outrage for Core Enforcer, as outrage isn't good for a defensive Pokemon.
This suggestion I take the biggest objection to. Zygarde's role on this team is not to be defensive, but instead to be a physical wallbreaker - hence the choice band and offensive EV spread. Toxic is used because it wears down Tangrowth, the most common check for banded zygarde. As a focal point for this team it is a very solid choice to build around.

Shift Gear Magearna is a very potent sweeper in the current metagame and is a good choice for a win condition.

You mention in your rate that you wanted Mega Lopunny over Mega Medicham and it's quite clear to see why, as Mega Lopunny is a much better fit for this team as it creates a very potent breaker-sweeper-cleaner core with Zygarde and Magearna. Medicham is not really a good substitute for Lopunny however, due to its low speed stat. I would definitely change Mega Medicham to Mega Lopunny and just wait until Mega Lopunny becomes available for use. If you don't feel like waiting, I would recommend Mega Aerodactyl as a temporary substitute

Oh? I've never seen a defensive Mew before. If you are going for a stalling mew, change the 64 Spe EV for 64 SpD EV. That way, it can be defensive. Other than that, good job.
Mew is a very good defogger in the current metagame and a good addition to this team. The 64 speed EVs do compromise bulk, but are still important so that you outspeed some important threats such as Defensive Landorus-T, Defensive Zygarde, Bulky Mega Scizor, Adamant Mega Heracross and so on. However, I think 56 EVs is all you need for this. You say that you run 64 to outspeed magearna, but this is unnecessary as mew does not pose much of a threat to magearna in the first place.

Now, I think some major changes are necessary for the last two members. Serperior is an effective cleaner/revenge killer but Mega Lopunny already fulfills this role on the team. I also question Greninja's role on this team. Dark pulse does hit the ghost types that Magearna cannot hit super-effectively, however most relevant ghost types die to magearna's neutral attacks after a bit of prior damage anyway with the exception of Alolan Marowak. In these two slots we should strive for two things - stealth rocks and defensive pivots. Stealth Rocks make Magearna and Lopunny's job much much easier by passively damaging and weakening opposing mons to enable you to ko them easier. They also severely limit significant threats to your team such as Volcarona, Mega Pinsir and Charizard. Defensive pivots are important as they allow you to bring in your threats as well as check your opponent's threats.

So now that you know why, I believe you should change Serperior for Landorus-T and change Greninja for AV Tangrowth. Lando-T boosts the team's defensive capabilities greatly while also providing the aforementioned Stealth Rock support. Intimidate also indirectly increases Mew's effectiveness, and the two form an excellent defensive core. AV Tangrowth allows you to check many threats to your team such as Ash Greninja, Band Zygarde, Mega Manectric, Tapu Koko and other fast special attackers.

Here's the team with the updated changes:
Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Magearna @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Healing Wish

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 212 Def / 36 SpD / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)