BW OU Baton Pass Like Crazy

It's been a longass time since I posted my last team here. I built a few other teams with pretty moderate success, but here is the team I've wanted to work with since I started the 5th generation - a Baton Pass team. I'd always get swamped by them, but never had the courage or patience to build a strong, competitive one.

After playtesting with it for a while, I'd love to get some comments on how to make my Baton Pass team better. It's decent right now, but I feel like I'm missing something. Tear it apart!

So I started with Smeargle, because I had used Baton Pass teams in the 4th gen and remembered how good he was.

Ninjask came next - I thought he would be a natural player on a Baton Pass team, and for a while, he was.

Mew was also a natural star, and I had wanted an excuse to use one for a while. I plopped him on as my Special Defense passer.

I knew I needed some Defense, so Scizor came along with his bulky Iron Defense set.

I had encountered Baton Pass teams in the past, and Espeon was regularly a major player. So she got added.

Finally, I needed a receiver. I had been thinking Dragonite, but I was worried about Stealth Rocks becoming a problem. So I added Metagross instead.

After a few playruns, I noticed Ninjask was definitely not pulling his weight. I needed something that could come in a few times...so I chose Gliscor, who's definitely pulled his weight so far.

After some helpful suggestion, I decided to try Vaporeon out as a contender on the team to replace Scizor. I might try Mr. Mime at some point, too.

THE BREAKDOWN
(changes and comments will be in red)

Da Vinci the Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Normal, Technician, Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
252 HP, 4 SpDef, 252 Spd
~Ingrain
~Baton Pass
~Spore
~Shift Gear
Da Vinci has been a really important member of the team - but only when he's able to pull off Spore+something else. If he gets hit beforehand, he's only really able to get the Spore off, and Hail and Sandstorm demolish him. But, when he does get his combo off, he's really important to the team.

I tend to go Spore/Shift Gear/Baton Pass, and later in the game if I get the chance, Da Vinci will come back and pull off an Ingrain, too. He's pretty nice, and can even take some Ghost attacks aimed at Espeon and Mew. I guess my only problem with him is that sometimes Ingrain doesn't really matter. It definitely does whenever there's a Heatran or another Roarer, but other than that he just does his job. I might switch Agility for Quiver Dance or something. Can't believe I missed Shift Gear...

Batty the Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Flying/Ground, Poison Heal, Impish (+Def, -SpAtk)
252 HP/184 Def/72 Spd
~Substitute
~Swords Dance
~Baton Pass
~Earthquake

Batty does work when he gets the chance. It's easy for him to come in on Pokemon like Terrakion and most Tyranitar, and with the combination of Poison Heal and Ingrain, he can recover HP like nobody's business. With Swords Dance and Earthquake, he's not only able to pass big boosts, but also abuse Ground's coverage against many threats in today's metagame.

Batty has a few problems, though, namely Special Attacks and Ice Shard. When he hasn't gotten passed a Defense boost, Mamoswine and Donphan can take him out fairly reliably, meaning I tend to go into my Scizor first before bringing Batty out. I do really like having Earthquake as a move, though, because with a Baton Pass team it can really throw people off guard to have to worry about attacks.

Mewone the Mew @ Leftovers
Psychic, Synchronize, Careful (+SpDef, -SpAtk)
248 HP/8 Atk/252 SpDef
~Baton Pass
~Amnesia
~Substitute
~Flame Charge

Sooooooo Mewone. I've always wanted to use a Mew, and by god I was going to put one on this team. Thus, Mewone was born.

I experimented a bit with his moveset, but settled on a Special Defensive boosting one. It's able to tank a hit in most cases, and then immediately set up. Flame Charge is there for anyone who wants to bring in Scizor, because after getting some Attack boosts, Flame Charge will wreck them. Otherwise, it's a great way to keep gaining Speed after Smeargle has been switched out.

While I like to have Substitute always up, sometimes a Toxic, Thunder Wave, or Will-o-Wisp will get through before I'm able to predict and switch to Espeon. Thankfully, with Mewone, statusing it will really backfire in most cases, like when the opponent's Jellicent is suddenly Toxicked, or an Xatu gets paralyzed.

Merman the Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water, Water Absorb, Bold (+Def, -Atk)
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpAtk
~Baton Pass
~Acid Armor
~Scald
~Wish

Vaporeon has definitely solved my problem with both Volcarona and Rain teams. He's bulky enough to properly tank hits, and under Rain can even threaten some Pokemon with Scald. Just the threat of burn has been enough to force some switches, and it definitely helps Vaporeon both wall and Baton Pass effectively.

Kitty Purry the Espeon @ Leftovers
Psychic, Magic Bounce, Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
252 HP/4 SpAtk/252 Spd
~Baton Pass
~Calm Mind
~Stored Power
~Substitute

I always forget how powerful Stored Power can be after even a few boosts, and usually end up Baton Passing until later, when I proceed to sweep with Stored Power. I have absolutely no complaints about Kitty Purry. The Speed is there to screw over anyone who thinks they can outspeed, like Landorus-T and most anything after a Flame Charge or something.

Panzer the Metagross @ Leftovers
Psychic/Steel, Clear Body, Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
252 HP/252 Atk/4 SpDef
~Meteor Mash
~Ice Punch
~Thunderpunch
~Earthquake

There have been times when my Baton Pass chain gets broken before it gets to Panzer. That's when people get to see how good Metagross is even without boosts. He's taken many full powered attacks, like a Flare Blitz from an Arcanine to an Earthquke from a Landorus-T. It's times like those that people usually freak out and quit.

Metagross really helps when it comes to Intimidaters, too, as whatever his Attack is when he comes out, it tends to stay that way (or get boosted from Meteor Mash).

THREATS

I hate this thing. It boosts, and then there's not much I can do about it besides hope I've already gotten some boosts myself. My best best is usually getting to +6 with Mew, and then going into Gliscor to hopefully KO with Earthquake.

This thing's bad, but not as bad as Volcarona. I'm actually able to threaten it out with Gliscor, who can also KO pretty easily with Earthquake after a Swords Dance. Will-o-Wisp isn't a problem, either, because of Substitute, Espeon, and Toxic Orb.

Similar to Arcanine, he's an issue, but not a big one. He can take out Smeargle, which hurts in the short run, but other Pokemon I have like Scizor and Arcanine can tend to demolish it.

Also, most Pokemon with Taunt seem to hurt my team a lot. Priority also hurts when I don't have boosts up.​

Alright, guys, thanks for reading! Hopefully my team isn't too bad. :) Here's a final look and the code for the team in case you want to test it.

Kitty Purry (Espeon) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Substitute

Batty (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Earthquake

Da Vinci (Smeargle) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Ingrain
- Baton Pass
- Spore
- Agility

Merman (Vaporeon) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Baton Pass
- Acid Armor
- Scald
- Wish

Mewone (Mew) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Atk
Careful Nature
- Baton Pass
- Amnesia
- Substitute
- Flame Charge

Panzer (Metagross) @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- ThunderPunch
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Love this team of yours! I've tried making a BP team before after losing to a bunch of "set up until they rage quit" style of teams, but I failed miserably.

First off, I notice you have a big weakness against Perish Song users (Celebi and Politoes). If you didn't know, Perish Song goes through Sub, Magic Bounce etc. Baton Passing out doesn't work either because PS passes onto the next Pokemon. This pretty much means your Chain will be broken every single time. As a result, you should run Mr.Mime Mew or Espeon, some they both boost SDef. Mime has Soundproof so Perish Song won't work, and its actually not that bad after boosts.

Mr.Mime @ Leftovers
Trait: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SDef/ 4 Def (I don't really know the EVs)
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Baton Pass
- Encore

---
Next, to fix your Volcarona problem (wellif it has no Giga Drain) you should run Vaporeon over Scizor. Vaporeon has 2 really me thing Scizor doesn't have, Wish and Roar. It can heal up your teammates if they get hit with unnesscary damage, and allow it to continually boost up. With Roar, you can get rid of any thing that is trying to set up alongaide you and force them to go into a more favourable match up. And it Fire, has good natural bulk and takes care of Rain teams main STAB.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Wish
- Acid Armour
- Baton Pass
- Roar/ Scald/ Substitute

Other than that, great team. Good luck!

Alright, updated the team to include Vaporeon. I'm still unsure of Mr. Mime, but I'll probably end up trying him out because of some troubles I've been having with Perish Song in the higher ranking play.

Multiple weaknesses to Dark type attacks. Tyranitar is definitely a threat. Might want to give Batty the Gliscor Rock Slide/Tomb to get rid of the Volcarona, as it will do 4x damage; incase your Vaporeon goes down, as most electric moves are special, including Voltswitch. You might have to worry about Earthquake, as that may take your Metagross out and then you'd need to use Stored Power Espeon to sweep. My only complaint is that your last Pokemon doesn't have baton pass, so once it gets there, and possibly gets KO'ed, you'd have to re-start your chain all over again. Otherwise, A+! Great Job!

Metagross has too much weaknesses, i think that you should add a garchomp. Because you're probable not going to be able to do a full baton pass chain, I think you should put in:
Speed boost ninjask w/ substitute and baton pass ev 252 spd 252 hp 4 special def
I think da Vince's good except if he can learn substitute and belly drum, that would help out a lot saving lots of your turns.
Because garchomp relies so much on attack and speed, you just need to chain ninjask and smeargle (possible with ingrain) to make him deadly.
Garchomp should be something like this
252 spd 252 atk 4 hp
+atk - spatk (assuming that ninjask gets to finish his speed boosting)
outrage
Fire fang
Earthquake
Dragon claw
Any item but a choice and life orb
Garchomp will be able to outspeed most of his checks and deal devastating damage to them back.
If garchomp dies, u could use metagross or sheer force nidoking (believe it or not, he has great coverage and damage)
This is just a random guess because I'm no baton pass professional

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)