Baton Pass Marathon (Coded! Looking for a server)

For any team focused on defensive boosting, it's important to bring at least one good Battle Armor/Shell Armor users to protect you from Crit abusers. However, most of them seem to be focused more on offense then on defense. The most attractive users IMO are Lapras, Marowak, Drapion, Escavalier, and Torterra.

Clear Body on the other hand has offensive and defensive users. Metagross, Regirock, Registeel, Diancie, Tentacruel, and Klinklang are all notable here, particularly Klinklang for it's unique access to Shift Gear.

Actually BPass doesn't pass accuracy
Very sure that this is false.

I think the most important mons in this metagame will be the ones getting passive boosts. With pokemon like scolipede, bisharp, and malamar existing, you can very quickly overwhelm opponent's attempts to weaken your pokemon.

Use some TR teams. That way you can always be faster, even if you just lost pokemon and have no speed boosts
Gyro Ball could also shine on TR teams with it getting to 150 BP after they speed boost a few times, though there aren't too many abusers. You could use it on Metagross for offensive (or defensive since clear body) teams, or Ferrothorn though. Just an interesting idea.

Focus Energy should probably be banned, or else Escavalier or something with Shell Armor will be mandatory on everyones team, otherwise it's just a race for who gets their Focus Energy up first and sweeps. Even then, in this metagame if there happens to be a crit, it's GG most of the time.

Last edited:
Random ideas :
Sticky Web. Shuckle can pass Shell Smashes to teammates (or Acupressure but...), and Smeargle is Satan with Leech Seed/Memento/Topsy-Turvy... Watchout for Bisharp tho.
Ditto. Copy all the boosts, revenge kill with a scarf and pivot out.
Trapping (Gothitelle). Useful for breaking a chain that becomes out of control.
Curse. Trevenant is Satan with both Curse and Leech Seed, but otherwise you can use something like Chandelure, MegaBanette or Gengar (those will be able to hit Volturners hard, and have a easier time sweeping through teams with a few boosts under their belt).

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Random ideas :
Sticky Web. Shuckle can pass Shell Smashes to teammates (or Acupressure but...), and Smeargle is Satan with Leech Seed/Memento/Topsy-Turvy... Watchout for Bisharp tho.
Ditto. Copy all the boosts, revenge kill with a scarf and pivot out.
Trapping (Gothitelle). Useful for breaking a chain that becomes out of control.
Curse. Trevenant is Satan with both Curse and Leech Seed, but otherwise you can use something like Chandelure, MegaBanette or Gengar (those will be able to hit Volturners hard, and have a easier time sweeping through teams with a few boosts under their belt).
wouldn't technically switching let it get past trapping/pursuit due to switching acting like baton pass?

It's like Baton Pass in terms of passing stuff, that doesn't automatically mean it's completely identical to a Baton Pass.

And Baton Pass only lets you avoid being punished by Pursuit if you're slower than the enemy anyway.

Re: Acupressure. Might be something worth banning just to avoid headaches.

For Acupressure, it's unbanned for the moment for the same reasons it's unbanned in standard, which, if my understanding is correct, is due to its random and unreliable nature. But if it proves itself to deserve a boot, then it'll get the boot.

Also worth noting: if you're afraid of Stored Power, several Dark types, like Honchkrow and Skuntank, learn Haze. Honch also gets Whirlwind if you'd rather not hurt your own boosts and if Magic Bounce isn't a worry. It also has STAB Foul Play for nuking attack boosters.

Probably a lot of other Pokemon have some nifty support and counter set-up options too that I'm not thinking of (especially since I only have a spare few minutes to post right now.)

OH BOY. Finally a meta where my accuracy lowering teams can reign supreme!
Bans

-Sand Attack, Flash, Kinesis, Mud-Slap, and Smokescreen for the same reasons Evasion is banned.

Suspect (Opinions very much welcome!)

-Mirror Shot, Mud Bomb, Secret Power, Muddy Water, Octazooka, and Night Daze may need to be banned too since they have accuracy drop chances. However, I'm not entirely sure since their chances are low or the move is very limited in distribution.

Sorry!

In standard OU, Accupressure is held back by the fact that there's not many users, most of them are fragile-ish, and it requires extraordinary luck to start seeing much pay-off -even if you get an Evasion boost first thing (1/7 chance) there's no certainty the enemy will be impressed. Shuckle is the only user with enough durability to not be concerned by the possibility of something switching in that requires it switch out: if you're using Toxicroak and it gets an Evasion boost, is it worth staying in on Honchkrow on the chance it won't instagib you, while you're struggling to do real damage to it if you attack?

However, in this meta the first time you get lucky with an Evasion boost, you can instantly cart it off to any member of your team. Shuckle can sit there Acupressuring itself for multiple turns, or just keep switching in and Accupressuring opportunistically on some portion of the enemy team, and pass off not only every kind of stat boost there is but in particular those random evasion boosts will just stick around indefinitely until either a team member is KOed or something is done to remove the team's stat modifications. (Forced-switch move, Haze, Topsy-Turvy, etc)

Or put another way: in normal play, Accupressure is too random to be worth bothering with (Shuckle resents every Special Attack, Speed, and for some builds, Attack or Accuracy boost it gets, which is up to a 4/7 chance of being a wasted move!), but here since any boost you get can then be passed off to whoever will benefit on the team, it's not randomly worthless, it's just unpredictable what benefit you'll get. If Accupressure is reliably useful, people will use it. If it sees use, the Evasion boost will come up regularly. And since they can always pass it on, it can be shuffled onto really problematic Pokemon -or from one really problematic Pokemon to the next. Imagine swapping back and forth between Slowbro and Amoongus for Regenerator healing until the enemy misses, at which point you get in a free move, and go back to switching until they miss again. If the enemy doesn't have some way of resetting or ignoring your Evasion boost, this is just stupid and not really fightable with any kind of skill, and even a team that has such things may find that once its 2-3 guys that can put a stop to this crap are gone, the rest of the team is screwed.

Maybe it'll turn out to not be a problem, but this is really a completely different context from OU in terms of Accupressure's relevance, in the same way that Mud Slap, Sand Attack, etc are jokes in normal play and need to be banned here.

I'll wait for more opinions/likes on that comment and I'll make a call on Acupressure Friday when I have internet in my apartment. (Bumming it off other places is a pain in the butt.) Slow, yes, but I might not be able to get back on until then to make said call just in case there's a counter argument and I don't want to promise a decision sooner than I can reliably share it.

Hmm...
Can yawn can be passed? Not the sleep condition itself but the "yawn" effect that puts a mon to sleep the next turn.
I recall torment being passible at one point but I'm not sure if this is the case on showdown.
Terrakion will run sacred sword to avoid def/sdef drops and hit pass all defense boosts
Rapid spin is now better than ever as the best way to escape seeds.
1. Use wrap and variants to trap a support mon you absolutely wall
2. get boosts up while they're trapped
3. switch to sweeper on the 7th term
4. sweep
Shuckle with infestation and acupressure is good at this.
Sableye has priority psych up, stealing the enemy's chain
Phasing is mandatory, suction cup is now good and argubly better than magic bounce
Critdra laughs at your +6 sdef
why stop at critdra? focus energy everything
Battle/Shell Armor saves the day
White herb is nice on clean up sweepers, as it restores stats
All shell smashers are smash passers, all quiver dancers are quiver passers
Smeargle remains the only mon who can pass ingrain
Sticky Web arguebly is more potent than rocks
Priority still rules

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
It is, but I think this meta is trying to stay within the original mechanics of the game outside of the whole switching = passing thing.
not to try to mindlessly argue with that point or anything, but isn't the sleep clause itself a "stretch of original mechanics"? i mean, its not like the game has a built in sleep clause. where in the actual wifi battles if i recall, it results in you having to forfeit enless otherwise specified, or you decide to be a dick who likes to watch the world burn and proceed the battle.

don't get me wrong, im not saying "IF YOU CAN'T DO THAT THEN WHY IS THAT A THING?! IT SHOULD BE UNBANNED IMO" but why not treat the evasion boost like the sleep clause, in where it just says "evasion clause activated" whenever an evasion boost is about to occur, IF its possible to do so that is. .-. if not then just ignore this entirely. lol.

and yeah, i understand it's a different thing entirely, sleep clause was made because its possible to avoid by just not using the move in wifi, whereas acupressure is randomized, but it still doesn't match the in game mechanics. idk, just something to think about i guess.

Sleep clause is a thing in Stadium, Stadium 2, Colosseum, XD, and Battle Revolution. Sleep clause is not some wholly unofficial invention of Showdown.

Phasing is mandatory, suction cup is now good and argubly better than magic bounce
It's too bad Malamar, Octillery, and Cradily are it for Suction Cups, particularly since Malamar is 99% better off with Contrary.

Also, Haze resets stats, Psych Up steals stats, Topsy-Turvy inverts stats, KOing clears all their stat changes, and stat-downs are persistent so you can do stuff like Acid Spray them every time they Amnesia. Venom Drench in particular is actually useful here and is difficult to pull ahead of with your own stat-ups, particularly since its success implies you're also currently Poisoned. Toxic Spikes+Venom Drench might actually be viable in this meta.

It is, but I think this meta is trying to stay within the original mechanics of the game outside of the whole switching = passing thing.
It would also slightly distort Accupressure, making every possibility a 1/6 chance. (Unless the decision was "anytime it would roll Evasion, nothing happens", which is a different kind of distortion)

One thing that's occurred to me is that Agility is a lot better off in this meta. It can actually be worth spending a turn on it to then switch in something comparatively slow (Particularly something that can't normally boost its own Speed, like Malamar) that can take on whatever is in front of it, because the Speed boost is kept. Of course, Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance are pretty much always going to be more worthwhile, but something worth thinking about.

Moxie is also a little better. Sharpedo and Yanmega are slightly more appealing, since they can now pass their Speed Boost boosts like the other Speed Boosters.

U-Turn, Volt Switch, and Parting Shot are odd, because instead of being free damage on your switch they are potentially losing all your buffs, but conversely they can potentially escape hefty debuffs. Particularly relevant if Topsy-Turvy becomes standard.

Things that will help amazingly:
Hazards
Unaware
Tail Glow
Cotton Guard
Cosmic Power
Coil
Quiver Dance
Pursuit
Foul Play
Haze
Whirlwind
Roar
Dragon Tail
Circle Throw
Really cool metagame, and i expect good stuff from it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)