XY OU BATON PASS = SKILL

dEnIsSsS

'scuse me while i kiss this guy
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Introduction

Hi, I am the infamous Denis that loves playing with the Baton Pass strategy. My first contact with the community was through my first RMT, the Glorious Pass: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/glorious-pass-standard-baton-pass-chain.3506272/. Since I am always lurking here, so I think I would like to contribute with my RMTs.

I've been working so hard to turn Baton Pass into a viable play style, but unfortunately it got nerfed twice, forcing me to use a team with just one Baton Pass user. My new Baton Pass team is based on Geomancy + Cotton Guard Smeargle passing the boosts to Espeon, but, unlike my previous Baton Pass Chains, it is really unreliable, and also because any critical hit on either Smeargle or Espeon on the turn Smeargle uses the move Baton Pass and brings Espeon in would make me lose the battle, and crits happen really often.

Jirachee said that I could post 2 teams in the same RMT, so I will talk about my old Baton Pass team with 3 Baton Pass users and my recent team that is being used everywhere.

Baton Pass teams impacted the Smogon community, so what I'm going to do is share my all my knowledge about this "amazing" strategy.

THE PERFECT 3 (BATON PASS 2.0)

Team building process

"Forbids the use of the move Baton Pass on more than 3 Pokémon on the same team"

I was determined to make a new Baton Pass team, because I also agreed that the full Baton Pass chains were truly broken. I knew I had to start with Espeon and Scolipede for obvious reasons. The combination of Magic Bounce and Speed Boost is amazing, not to mention that the core Scolipede + Espeon is capable of increasing all stats I needed to be succesful: Defense, Speed, Special Defense and Special Attack.

I had one spot left for another Baton Passer. After a lot of thinking I thought that Smeargle would fit very nicely because it is immune to Ghost type attacks, and that would help with mind games against ghost type users. Smeargle could also contribute with Ingrain (helps with survivability and guarantees the chain wouldn't be stopped, even by any surprising Roar on Scolipede, or any Sturdy + Red Card combination) and either Quiver Dance or Geomancy for Speed and Special Defense boosts mainly (Special Attack isn't really important at the beginning of the match).

I still had to think about my remaining spots. A dual screener, such as Deoxys-S would be of huge help because it would help the initial set up of the "semi chain". Behind Reflect, Scolipede is incredibly bulky, being able to set up Iron Defense boosts against most physical attackers, even those with STAB and super effective attacks. Behind Light Screen, Smeargle and Espeon were able to set up Quiver Dances and Calm Minds with ease too. Espeon was even able to set up Calm Mind boosts against Gengar and Greninja. Deoxys-S access to the fastest non Prankster Taunt was very nice to prevent opposing side from setting up.

Clefable was an interesting choice to use as a recipient because it had the combination of the ability Unaware and Stored Power, and that was a pretty nice way to deal with set up sweepers, such as Swords Dance Pinsir and Diggersby. After some defensive boosts, Clefable would just laugh at the opposing Pokemon, even if it had +6 Attack.

It was a tough to decide who would be my last Pokemon. I was thinking about either Vaporeon, as another recipient option (it has some notable advantages over Clefable, and it was the main sweeper, if the opposing side doesn't needed to be checked by Clefable's Unaware), or Whimsicott, as another supporter (usually offering me the Taunt + Tailwind + Memento support, allowing me to have a much better match up against Taloflame, Mega Pinsir, Greninja, Gengar or Aegislash leads). I decided to use Vaporeon, mainly because it is one my favorite Pokemon, and it was a member of my previous Baton Pass chain.

TEAM OVERVIEW

The Dual Screen Supporter Lead

Being the fastest Pokemon in the game, with access to both Taunt and Dual Screens, Deoxys-S seemed to be the best choice for that role.

YAKUZA (Deoxys-Speed) @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock / Knock Off​

I was using Max HP and Max Defense for Mega Pinsir and Talonflame:

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-S: 192-226 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-S: 76-90 (25 - 29.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Considering the 1st hit dealt maximum damage, there would still be a 31,1% chance survive Quick Attack on second turn.
I would have a nice chance to use both Taunt (to prevent Swords Dance) and Reflect.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-S: 181-214 (59.5 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO - Guaranteed Reflect :)

The choice between Stealth Rock or Knock Off was a pretty difficult one. Stealth Rock would punish the opposing side from trying to stall the duration of my screen by continuously switching in and out. Knock Off is also a pretty amazing option, removing Choice items and Life Orb from the opposing team is a huge plus. At the end, I thought that Knock Off was the best option.

Even without any Speed EV Deoxys-S hits a 396 speed stat, and it is enough to outspeed base 130 and most dangerous speedy threats using max speed, such as Greninja, Thundurus and Gengar.

-------------------​

THE BATON PASSERS

The core Scolipede + Smeargle + Espeon even with screens support is not very durable (screens are far from being durable). It means that I would have to set up the boosts (and Ingrain) pretty quickly and pass them to the recipient of my choice. 2 Iron Defenses + 2 Calm Minds + 1 Quiver Dance + Ingrain is usually enough for a succesful sweep in most cases.

BIN LADEN (Scolipede) (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Speed Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Iron Defense
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass​

Scolipede's EV spread has changed, with focus on the physical bulk. My previous BP Chain had Acid Armor Vaporeon to contribute with Acid Armor boosts and Zapdos to deal with Flying spam. Now Scolipede is my only Defense booster and still has to eat Brave Birds and Aerilate Returns, but I have Deoxys-S screens and Taunt to help him.

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. +2 240 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede through Reflect: 97-115 (30.2 - 35.8%) -- 37.9% chance to 3HKO

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. +4 240 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede through Reflect: 129-153 (40.1 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO <= at this point Espeon should have enough boosts to OHKO Pinsir with Stored Power.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede through Reflect: 183-216 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO<= If I have my Reflect up, it is guaranteed that I can set up at least 1 Iron Defense.

Vaporeon has to force Talonflame to switch out. Whenever surges the opportunity, Scolipede must set up Iron Defense as soon as possible.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +2 240 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede through Reflect: 93-109 (28.9 - 33.9%) -- 1.2% chance to 3HKO <= If I still have my Reflect up, I can set up more than 1 Iron Defense.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +2 240 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 186-218 (57.9 - 67.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +4 240 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede: 122-146 (38 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO <= Sometimes Scolipede is restricted into just one Iron Defense, so Espeon will have to take a Brave Bird and kill Talonflame with Stored Power.

AL CAPONE (Smeargle) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 88 HP / 204 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ingrain
- Quiver Dance
- Spore
- Baton Pass​

Thanks to Focus Sash and Spore, Smeargle can usually contribute with at least one Quiver Dance boost and/or Ingrain. It is also a reliable switch in against Shadow Ball users such as Gengar and Aegislash (both can exploit Espeon's ghost type weakness and Scolipede's low Special Defense).
I'm not using Geomancy because it is not always guaranteed that I would have both Screens. The lack of Focus Sash also makes it hard to set up both Quiver Dance and Ingrain on the same match, not to mention that Geomancy is pratically a single use move (if my oponent has Haze, it will be impossible to restart the chain with Quiver Dance). There are a lot of battles that I start my chain with Quiver Dance, specially against those teams that lead with Gengar. My Deoxys-S will usually use Taunt on it, and if they go for Shadow Ball on 1st turn, I will imediatally bring Smeargle in, use Quiver Dance and then Gengar should fear Spore.

DON CORLEONE (Espeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Substitute
- Baton Pass​

Focus on Special Defense, since it is my main Special Defense booster. With the Light Screen support it can set up against most Special Attackers, including Greninja and Gengar:

252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. +1 200 HP / 252+ SpD Espeon through Light Screen: 66-78 (20.5 - 24.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. +1 200 HP / 252+ SpD Espeon through Light Screen: 74-87 (23 - 27.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

If I manage to set up Ingrain, Espeon will be my main Quagsire's pp staller, as you can see on this battle:http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-132573375. Once I began playing with this team I have never lost to a single Haze Quagsire user. If I manage to pp stall Quagsire completely, or even kill it with Espeon's Stored Power, I can finally baton pass some Calm Mind boosts to Vaporeon, that is capable of destroying stall teams with ease.

------------------------​

THE RECIPIENTS

Now, between passing to Vaporeon or Clefable depends about team match ups.

When passing to Clefable:

TATTAGLIA (Clefable) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Moonblast
- Substitute​

Clefable is supposed to counter set up sweepers, such as Swords Dance Scizor, Pinsir, Bisharp or Diggersby that may try to boost alongside with me.

252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +6 216 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 54-66 (14 - 17.1%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. +6 216 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 55-66 (14.2 - 17.1%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Huge Power Diggersby Return vs. +6 216 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 62-74 (16.1 - 19.2%) -- possible 8HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. +6 216 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 81-96 (21 - 24.9%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Clefable is also my best answer to Mega Gyarados, a dangerous threat because it is immune to Stored Power and resists Vaporeon's Scald, not to mention that Mold Breaker still nulfies Clefable's Unaware.

In case my opponent also has a Sturdy phazer, such as Skarmory or Donphan, I will try to do my best to set up Ingrain with Smeargle, to prevent them from phazing me and making me lose all the boosts I managed to set up.

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +4 88 HP / 204 Def Smeargle: 120-142 (43.9 - 52%) -- 15.6% chance to 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. +4 88 HP / 204 Def Smeargle: 120-142 (43.9 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Ingrain recovery <= as long as Smeargle has more Defense boosts than Scizor's Attack boosts, Smeargle is capable of using Ingrain, before baton passing to Clefable

216 HP EVs make it have a magic Leftovers number, that it really useful to minimize the HP lost when I have to create a Substitute.

Calm Mind is there, in case my opponent forces me to baton pass to Clefable early game (there are a lot of battles that I did not even used Espeon). Calm Mind also boosts considerably Stored Power destructive capability, in case it need to kill something really sturdy such as Specially Defensive Heatran or Chansey.

When passing to Vaporeon:

AL QAEDA (Vaporeon) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Def / 64 SpA
Bold Nature
- Work Up
- Scald
- Stored Power
- Substitute​

Clefable and Espeon are two Pokemon that share weaknesses to Aegislash, Gengar and Bisharp STABs. Vaporeon, on the other hand, as long as it has some defensive boosts it won't even care about them at all. Because Seismic Toss can't break Vaporeon's large Substitutes, it is also an amazing cleaner against Stall teams (Unlike against Clefable, Chansey doesn't have a chance to use Toxic or Thunderwave on Vaporeon). As long as it has 2 Calm Minds and Ingrain, Vaporeon is almost guaranteed to sweep unless the opposing stall team has Ferrothorn (in that case Scolipede has to set up 2 Iron Defenses). Even Mega Venusaur might be unable of breaking Vaporeon's Substitutes. Vaporeon also has a higher physical bulk, special bulk, special attack and speed than Clefable. Work up is there in case I'm missing the power to kill Chansey or anything else.

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. +2 192 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 84-100 (18.7 - 22.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 192 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 91-108 (20.2 - 24%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Amoonguss Giga Drain vs. +2 192 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 74-90 (16.4 - 20%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. +2 192 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 102-122 (22.7 - 27.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Pure ownage

OTHER OPTIONS

Whimsicott (F)@ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Memento
- Tailwind​

Whimsicott's access to amazing support moves and Prankster make it an awesome team supporter. Thanks to Memento + Tailwind, it would be of huge help against powerful attackers.

-2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. +2 240 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede through Reflect: 49-58 (15.2 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO - Tailwind would make Scolipede faster than Mega Pinsir even without any speed boost

-2 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Scolipede through Reflect: 91-108 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO

-2 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Scolipede through Light Screen: 53-63 (16.5 - 19.6%) -- possible 6HKO

Moonblast should be used just to force Sableye to switch out, so Scolipede would guarantee me +2 Def + 2 Spe boosts.

HOW TO COUNTER

Bring a Perish Song/Haze user + Stealth Rock user :)

REPLAYS

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133344382 - Mega Pinsir

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133092833 - Taunt Bisharp

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133065469 - Taunt + Nasty Plot Thundurus

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133067759 - Perish Song Politoed

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133525480 - Perish Song Politoed

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133126922 - Haze Honchkrow

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133275209 - Haze Milotic

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-133264935 - Haze Tentacruel

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-139039637 - Imprison Musharna, Nasty Plot + Taunt Thundurus, Mega Alakazam, Explosion Landorus, Endeavor Infernape, SD LO Aegislash

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-132581222 - Swords Dance Shedinja

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-132559952 - Flying spam (Pinsir / Talonflame / Staraptor)

This team is probably my favorite team because Vaporeon was actually sweeping teams <3
If Deoxys-S was banned before the Baton Pass nerf I would have to replace it with Azelf + Thundurus/Whimsicott.

--------------------------------​

TROLL PASS (BATON PASS 3.0)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/baton-pass-clause-mark-2.3511375/

My friend The Goomy is a (BAN ME PLEASE), look how he reacted:​

my reaction was like this one :

I was shocked when I read that thread written by Haunter. I mean, I knew the Baton Pass team with just 3 Pokemon was doing great, but I didn't agree that it was overpowered enough to be nerfed again. It is like they wanted to kill the strategy as a whole. It it was unexpected and I wasn't prepared for that. I also yelled: "NOW BAN THUNDURUS, OR MEGA MAWILE PLZ THIS IS UNFAIR".

One thing I was sure is that the new Baton Pass clause wouldn't make me stop playing with Baton Pass. "At least they didn't ban the move itself", I thought. I was determined to make a new team. I couldn't stop thinking what I was going to do, so I took a paper and began writting all possibilites I could use for a team based on a single Baton Pass user.

I always disregarded the use Shell Smash because the recipient was always revenge killed by Ditto, Mamoswine, Dragonite or Talonflame and phazed by Skarmory most of the time. I knew that Smeargle would be the Baton Pass user I would try to use if the OU Council restricted Baton Pass into a single user per team and Espeon would be the recipient. Smeargle, being the only Pokemon that learns the combination of Geomancy + Cotton Guard + Baton Pass (1 Geomancy boost + 1 Cottom Guard boost means +2 Special Attack + 2 Special Defense + 2 Speed + 3 Defense), it outclassed any other Baton Passer I could think about (Scolipede, Mew, Gorebyss etc). But the most difficult task was to think about what kind of team support I would give to these two Pokemon. Deoxys-S was banned to Ubers, so I lost the best dual screener I could have. My brainstorming was crazy.... and the list of Pokemon eligible for the team was that one:

- Azelf: Explosion, Screens, Taunt, Stealth Rock (Break Sturdy/Focus Sash). Still faster than most OU Pokemon without Choice Scarf. Frail for a dual screener. Slower than Greninja.
- Cresselia: Screens, Lunar Dance, Thunder Wave. Extremely bulky. No Taunt, slow, set up fodder.
- Whimsicott: Taunt, Memento, Tailwind, Light Screen, Moonblast (for Sableye). Prankster.
- Klefki: Screens, Thunder Wave, Foul Play, Spikes (break Sturdy / Focus Sash - fails against Skarmory). Prankster. No Taunt.
- Uxie: Screens, Memento, U-turn. Very bulky Pokemon. No Taunt, slow, set up fodder.
- Gothitelle: traps anything annoying. Haze / Prankster killer. Set up fodder.
- Thundurus: Taunt, Thunder Wave, nice lead against teams with Talonflame, Pinsir and Greninja. Prankster. Decent speed.
- Electrode: Light Screen, Taunt, Thunder Wave, Explosion, nice lead against teams with Talonflame, Thundurus, Pinsir and Greninja. Extremely Fast.
-
(Mega) Aerodactyl: amazing lead with Stealth Rock, Taunt, Tailwind and Stone Edge. Amazing speed. Lacks priority.
- Tornadus: nice lead with Taunt, Tailwind, Knock Off. Prankster.
-
Cottonee: works as another "Whimsicott". Should be used as lead.
- Clefable: another recipient to be used over Espeon. Fairy Type, Unaware, Stored Power. Weak, even with after a Geomancy boost.
- Vaporeon: another recipient to be used over Espeon. Water Type, Stored Power, great bulk. Weak, even after a Geomancy boost.
- Mega Mawile: another recipient to be used over Espeon. Steel + Fairy Type, perfect to block both Clear Smog or Dragon Tail. It also learns Taunt to prevent Skarmory from phazing it. Special Attack boost provided by Geomancy would be useless.

And then I began selecting the best Pokemon I could use. I needed something fast Pokemon with Taunt and screens, just to fill the hole left by Deoxys-S, so I picked Azelf. However, it isn't fast or bulky enough, because some threats like Greninja were able to outspeed it and OHKO it. Thundurus seemed to be a great partner, providing me support with priority Thunder Wave, and also being a extremely powerful Pokemon to be used against Talonflame, Pinsir and Greninja. Azelf could come in against a paralyzed and taunted foe, and that was great. But even with screens support, Smeargle still lacks the potential of using both Geomancy and Cottom Guard. So I came up with the idea of using Whimsicott: Tailwind + Memento would be a really sick combination, and if I still have my screens, Smeargle was almost guaranteed to have an easy time with the set up. I couldn't think about my last slot, so I just decided to use Clefable.

After trying my team, I could see that it had a lot of problems to be fixed: Smeargle was using Dark Void, and it was a terrible move because it always missed on critical turns, usually making me lose the battle, and even if Dark Void hits the opponent, they usually stayed in, trying to wake up as soon as possible (yeah, they were trying the luck), and finally using a support move that could screw up with Smeargle (such as Mandibuzz's Taunt, Venusaur's Leech Seed / Sleep Powder, Amoonguss' Clear Smog, Quagsire's Haze, anything with Roar etc). So I decided to use Taunt, because it has a much more reliable effect than Dark Void, not to mention that Taunt can be used against more than one Pokemon. But now I was extremely weak to Amoonguss' Clear Smog: I had NO WAY to prevent it. So I decided to include Specs Gothitelle on my team, just to counter it. After some time one player started spamming a team with Dragon Tail Garchomp on a stall team, so I decided to give Gothitelle Hidden Power Ice too.

After more testings, I noticed that Azelf wasn't capable of setting up screens against teams with Volt Switch users + something faster than Azelf, so I came up with the idea of using Talonflame. Thanks to the priority Tailwind, it could support Azelf with the speed it really needed to be succesful. After some time, while I was washing the dishes and thinking about my team (lol), I realized that Cottonee would be much better than Talonflame because Prankster is much better than Gale Wings. I think that I will miss the Will-o-Wisp, but I came up with the conclusion that the combination of Tailwind + Memento is just awesome, so I decided to use both Whimsicott and "Whimsicott Jr." on my team.

That's it, I think that my joke team can still beat most of the metagame, but it is much easier to be outplayed and doesn't require an obscure counter to beat it. I hope you enjoy the result of what is possibly the last Baton Pass team created by the greatest Smogon team builder!!!! ;)

TEAM OVERVIEW

CHICHICHI LELELE (Cottonee) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Stun Spore / Encore
- Memento​

I considered Cottonee as a lead because it had the combination Taunt, Tailwind and Memento, and honestly, I could see a lot of potential on this set of moves. Thanks to Tailwind, Azelf, my dual screener would be even faster than every single Choice Scarf user, and that means I would have a huge chance to set up both screens most of the time. Taunt is there to prevent the opposing side from doing anything annoying and it works very well with Memento, an amazing move to slow down any powerful attacker, that also makes Azelf's job a little easier.

Talonflame and (Mega)Aerodactyl are possible replacements (Cottonee is the best option, to be honest). Talonflame has Will-o-Wisp and Aerodactyl has Stealth Rock and Stone Edge, so if you feel more confortable with these options, feel free to use them.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash / Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure / Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Tailwind

Talonflame @ Focus Sash
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Brave Bird

VIVA CHILE (Azelf) @ Light Clay
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Explosion​

Azelf, under Tailwind, is faster than most Pokemon in this game. Faster than any Choice Scarf user and faster than any Swift Swim, Clorophyll or Sand Rush Pokemon under their respective weather. It has a good chance to set up both screens against my opponent. Explosion is there so I won't be annoyed by opponents switching in and out, trying to stall the duration of my screens, and it also brings Whimsicott in without any risk.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Azelf: 298-352 (84.1 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <= Guaranteed Reflect even against the strongest priority move in the game. I would have to fight without Light Screen though :x

The EV spread allows me to outspeed Latios (without Tailwind support), preventing it from using Defog, while being as much bulky as possible.

FAIRY SOLIDARITY (Whimsicott) (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Encore
- Memento
- Tailwind​

At this moment I should have a Reflect and Light Screen under my belt. I would renovate the Tailwind effects (Cottonee's Tailwind should have finished at this point), and finally, give Smeargle a free switch in via Memento. Taunt should be used just to prevent boosting moves from the opposing Pokemon, because every single turn is precious now. Encore is a nice move that would secure that the opposing side would never have a free set up, but since Cottonee and Azelf have Taunt, Encore would rarely be used here. Anyways, Whimsicott, being faster than every single priority user, can easily lock anything using boosting moves with Encore, in case I create any opening that could be exploited by my opponent.

THE BP SAVIOR (Smeargle) (M) @ Power Herb
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Def / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Cotton Guard
- Taunt / Spore / Dark Void
- Baton Pass
Behind Reflect, Light Screen, Tailwind and against an opposing Pokemon with dropped offenses, not to mention that Smeargle himself is using moves that boost Defense and Special Defense, it has a huge potential of using both Geomancy and Cottom Guard, before passing the boosts to Espeon. Even the strongest hits aren't enough to deal with such a huge ammount of set up.

-2 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. +3 0 HP / 252 Def Smeargle through Reflect: 79-94 (31.4 - 37.4%) -- 87% chance to 3HKO

-2 252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. +3 0 HP / 252 Def Smeargle through Reflect: 82-97 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 98.8% chance to 3HKO

-2 252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. +3 0 HP / 252 Def Smeargle through Reflect: 100-118 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-2 252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Focus Blast vs. +2 0 HP / 40 SpD Smeargle through Light Screen: 96-114 (38.2 - 45.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. +2 0 HP / 40 SpD Smeargle in Rain through Light Screen: 145-171 (57.7 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <= ops, Kyogre would limit my Smeargle to just a single Geomancy boost. BAN IT!! oh wait a second...

What's the Eevee for this mission?

DON TROLEONE (Espeon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 200 HP / 224 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Substitute / Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting] / Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun​

Espeon is the best recipient in my opinion, thanks to STAB Stored Power and Magic Bounce. With just one Geomancy and one Cottom Guard boost, it becomes a bulky, speedy and very powerful threat, and with access to a 200 BP Stored Power (stronger than V-Create and Full HP Water Spout) it can sweep most of the time.

Revenge kill it isn't an easy task. Even Ditto fails to 2HKO.

+2 0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (200 BP) vs. +2 200 HP / 56 SpD Espeon: 132-156 (41.1 - 48.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +3 200 HP / 252+ Def Espeon: 93-111 (28.9 - 34.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

Espeon also has power enough to kill everything common:

+2 0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 343-405 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO

0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Unaware Quagsire: 382-451 (96.9 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (200 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Unaware Clefable: 208-246 (52.7 - 62.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Substitute protects me from Lava Plume burns from Heatran, and it is my only protection against critical hits. Since the only way of Espeon to recover its health was via Leftovers, that could be removed by Knock Off, I decided to run Morning sun, a very important healing move for the survivability factor when I'm sweeping my opponent.

Unlike most Shell Smash recipients, nothing can really phaze Espeon, and Thundurus can't annoy with Thunder Wave thanks to Espeon's amazing Magic Bounce, one of the most powerful abilites Game Freak has ever created.

MURDERESS (Gothitelle) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Gothitelle is just here in case I need to trap and kill Clear Smog Amoonguss or any potential Dragon Tail user (such as Garchomp). Clear Smog and Dragon Tail are really annoying moves because they fully counter my strategy. Amoonguss is probably the only users of these moves commonly found on (relevant) OU battles. I am lacking Substitute or a steel type to avoid Clear Smog, and a Fairy Type to avoid Dragon Tail. That's why I have a Gothitelle, just to have a chance to counter the best counters of this team (I think people call that a counter-counter, is that correct? lol).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-143071026

Trick is a nice tool I can use against the SpD Wish Jirachi (huge problem of this team because of its quadruple resistance to Stored Power), so if I manage to trap it I can win too. Trick can also be used against set up sweepers so I won't have to worry about the set up moves and they become full set up baits for this team (it would be nice if I pass Choice Specs to something like Sash Diggersby or Sash Bisharp, for example). Thunderbolt is used against Mega Pinsir because there are many idiots that lead with it, Cottonee paralyzes it and then it is revenged by Gothitelle (again, it is another set up sweeper, but since it is a mega evo I can't trick specs).

tldr Gothitelle provides momentum with Trick Specs and kills annoying stuff. :)

------------------------

When a move lands a critical hit, the attacker's negative stat stages will be ignored while the defender's positive stat stages will be ignored, as well as the boosts from Light Screen and Reflect. - Bulbapedia

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-149448057 <= #holyfuck

THREAT LIST

Jirachi is a top tier threat to this team for 2 reasons: quadruple resistance to Stored Power and Serene Grace Body Slam. Body Slam would be annoying against Smeargle, but with the proper set up Jirachi would need so many Iron Head Flinches to actually kill Smeargle.

0 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. +3 0 HP / 252 Def Smeargle: 49-58 (19.5 - 23.1%) -- possible 5HKO

0 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. +3 0 HP / 252 Def Smeargle through Reflect: 24-29 (9.5 - 11.5%) -- possible 9HKO

But the main problem is the fact that it can take Stored Power like a boss. The only way to actually kill a SpD Jirachi is passing 2 Geomancy boosts to Espeon.

+4 0 SpA Espeon Stored Power (320 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Jirachi: 232-273 (57.4 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery <= Good luck LOL

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-149441488

If you want to beat Jirachi (efficiently) you can have another recipient capable of killing it. Good recipients with power and good coverage can also do the sweeping job (check Other Options), but be sure that the opposing side doesn't have any potential phazer capable of surviving your attacks.

Clear Smog and Dragon Tail counter the Smeargle Baton Pass set, so it is a freaking mind game to bring my Gothitelle in, so she can kill these Pokemon. Thank god Mega Venusaur is the most popular mega evolution on stall teams (no need to use Amoonguss as a bulky grass), and Dragon Tail Garchomp is rare as fuck.

Pro tip: If you want to troll me, or any person trying to use this team use a Shed Shell Amoonguss.

Bisharp gets a +2 boost if I use Memento with Whimsicott (Defiant gives Bisharp a +2 Atk boost for each stat drop). So I will usually try to avoid using Whimsicott. I will try to keep Bisharp always taunted, because if it gets a Swords Dance boost, I'm screwed (or not, if I have +6 Defense and Reflect). Smeargle should always try to set up + 6 Defense, because Knock Off on Espeon hurts a lot (if I have +6 Defense and my item was already removed, Bisharp is unable of breaking my Substitutes with Knock Off). I must be careful with Knock Off on Smeargle because it also removes the Power Herb, so Geomancy will take 2 turns to activate, creating a huge opening that can be exploited by my opponent. I will win unless Bisharp lands a Critical hit on Smeargle or Espeon (after attacking 3-5 times, it is likely that it will land a crit).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-149583147

Although they can't do relevant things on my team, my opponent can bring these Pokemon on Smeargle and use the freaking annoying Prankster Taunt, but they must avoid my own Smeargle's Taunt (if I manage to predict their switch in, I might win). Gothitelle can trap and kill Thundurus if the opponent gives me that opportunity. Prankster Taunt is really rare on tournaments, so it isn't a problem at all :D

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oususpecttest-149666847

Sturdy + Red Card or Focus Sash + Heart Swap / Parting Shot / Haze are a reliable ways to fuck with my Espeon. To counter these sets I would have to use Stealth Rock (Mega) Aerodactyl as lead. But I don't give a fuck about them and I will still use Cottonee :)

Brick Break.. eerr.. I think I don't have to explain anything huh? Thank god nobody use Brick Break, mainly because it is a garbage move (Azumarill always use Superpower as a fighting type attack, for example). Considering the fact that my opponent is actually using this garbage move, and (s)he is not capable of KOing my Smeargle even without Screens, I can still win. LOL

I need Aerodactyl to kill that shit... - thanks McMeghan for reminding me of Shedinja :P

OTHER OPTIONS
Gothitelle can be replaced by:

Togekiss @ Lum Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 216 HP / 140 SpA / 152 Spe
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Substitute
- Roost

Togekiss blocks Dragon Tail from Bulky Garchomp, a very common threat (I think it should be considered as the main choice, but I'm too lazy to write a long ass description, so...).

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 216 HP / 248 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam
- Substitute

Blastoise is cute and has an almost perfect coverage (he can kill Jirachi with ease). You can also try Pikachu (a brazilian player decided to use it in a relevant tournament and he managed to win his match!!!).

Pikachu @ Light Ball
Ability: Static
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Ice]

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-ou-1065076 <= ROFL

Tips when using my team

Once you have Reflect and Light screen, do not waste valuable screen turns using Taunt against everything. If your opponent sends something like Ferrothorn against Azelf or Whimsicott, don't taunt it! Just taunt potential set up sweepers or defoggers (and also Gengar and Heatran because they are just too annoying). One screen turn is always better than one hazard on your side. Smeargle is the one that should be taunting the bulky walls that have annoying moves such as leech seed, roar, taunt etc. Keep in mind that Smeargle just needs 2-3 turns of set up until it finally baton passes, so you have to calculate the duration of the screens and some damage calculations if your opponent has any decent attacker.

Importable: http://pastebin.com/BCcGhSgj (if you run Spore/Dark Void on Smeargle you should run Encore over Stun Spore on Cottonee)

Last considerations about my BP teams:

"Glorious Pass" (full Baton Pass chain): still my best Baton Pass team, since I had a really good defensive core in Vaporeon, Zapdos and Sylveon. Scolipede, Smeargle and Espeon are already awesome, as you could see they work amazingly on my "the perfect 3" team. The chain could even restart without any trouble, in case my opponent managed to break it once. Very difficult to break if you are using a standard team (that's why it is banned at this moment). RIP.

"The Perfect 3": Dual screens is a huge advantage that this team has over the "Glorious Pass" team. It is easier to start the chain, but I have no real defensive core to talk about. Another advantage this team has over the previous one is that it had 2 recipients to abuse the boosts, so they would come in with Full HP and with 4 move slots available. It is easier to sweep, since Espeon, Vaporeon and Zapdos were using mono attacking sets, and only Sylveon had 2 attacking moves that covered most of the metagame. RIP.

"Troll Pass": lol although it is the worst BP team I had ever made, this team isn't hard countered by Haze or Perish Song (my previous chains were very weak to these moves). Well, it is just a Troll team :D Oh well, it isn't allowed anymore as well. RIP

“I’m not concerned with dynamism. I care about winning beautifully!” Juan, Sootopolis City's Gym Leader.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)