XY OU Baton Pass Team

Well, this kind of team was a lot common on Gen 5, but i don't see them so often right now. I made this one and i think it's pretty good, and it has just a few uncommon checks. I know there's a lot of pokemon that can run on it better than the ones that are here, but i run them cause i like em, so you're free to run it with whatever you want.

So, to the team:

1_Smeargle (Da Vinci)

Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (Any nature that boosts Speed)
Moves:
-Baton Pass
-Shell Smash
-Magic Coat
-Spore

Smeargle, like most Baton Pass team, is the Baton Passer. It passes Shell Smash to Both Mawile or Chandelure (Gengar too), so that they can sweep. It runs Spore to ensure that the receiver won't faint when it enters, and Magic Coat is a very good move if you can predict things like Taunt, Stealth Rock, Spore, Hypnosis, Toxic, etc. It's Recommended that Spore is used after Shell Smash, so that you get an extra turn of sleep.

2_Mawile (Piranha Plant)

Item: Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate (Huge Power)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Adamant
Moves:
-Sucker Punch
-Fire Fang
-Iron Head
-Play Rough

Mawile is the main sweeper of the team. With Huge Power and Shell Smash from Smeargle, it has 1356 Atk, making Swords Dance not so useful for it. Sucker Punch is a good move if your opponent has priority moves, like Talonflame. However, Azumarill and Fighting priority are still a threat. Iron Head and Play Rough are basic STABs that can kill almost anything on the meta (w/ Baton Pass). Some exceptions are Quagsire and Heatran (Sucker Punch still kills it).

3_Chandelure (Lamp)

Item: Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest
Moves:
-Energy Ball
-Shadow Ball
-Flamethrower
-Taunt

This one is the secondary sweeper of my team. Not as Strong as Mawile ("just" 854 Sp Atk, Life Orb boosted) , Chandelure is still very strong and can kill most pokemon in one hit. Energy Ball covers the check for Quagsire that Mawile can't kill, and also the Fighting/Normal priority. But, still, Azumarill is a threat. Taunt is a desperate try to not get Sucker Punch'd.

4_Gengar (King Boo/Clefable)

Item: Wise Glasses / Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Moves:
-Dazzling Gleam
-Shadow Ball
-Sludge Wave
-Energy Ball

Gengar is an anti-checks of the team. It kills Espeon, that is a threat for Bastiodon and Smeargle, and i use it to kill anything that looks like a threat, like a secondary lead. Timid nature is important to outspeed espeon. This pokemon is not as important as other pokemon on the team, so you can put other pokemon on it's place.

Bastiodon (Wall)

Item: Leftovers / Whatever
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: Whatever / 252 Atk
Nature: Whatever
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Magic Coat
-Earthquake / Whatever
-Metal Burst / Whatever

This pokemon is the lead of the team. It's only use is to use stealth rock, so that no focus sash/Sturdy can stop the sweep. It doesn't need anything on EVs, Nature or Item, and the only important moves are Stealth Rock and Magic Coat. Magic Coat Forces the opponent to kill it, instead of using also Stealth Rock, ruining the strategy, or anything like that.

Ditto (Mirror)

Item: Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / Whatever
Nature: Whatever
Moves:
-Transform
-
-
-

Ditto has nothing with the team strategy at all, it's just a pokemon that i like to use, and it's present on ALL my teams. Choice Scarf makes sure it outspeeds the foe and the ability to copy stat changes makes impossible to win against the team by setuping at the same time, cause ditto will just sweep. If you think Ditto is not that strong, watch the replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-85203243 (This replay, and the team, is way too old XD).

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well, that is it. i didn't get a very good rank with this team, mostly because i don't play that seriously and most of the time i don't even follow the strategy. If you want to try laddering with it, tell me the results and feel free to leave suggestions.

Examples of Victories (w/ the strategy working)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-140533919
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-138841809
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-138610127
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-123925697

Last edited:
For the Chandelure, you could run Flash Fire instead of Infiltrator mainly because of the fact that it will absorb the fire type moves and the fire move will give the Chandelure a specs boost. As to how you could get a fire type move to hit your Chandelure, you could send out your Mawile and then immediately switch into Chandelure. Although this might not work, it's good to have a go eh? c: You could also run choice specs or choice scarf. Giving Chandelure a Choice Scarf will make it a good revenge killer as it's amazing special attack with it's 120 speed(Scarf), it'll probably OHKO/2HKO quite a lot of Pokemon. With the Specs, it'll boost the Chandelure's 145 Base Special attack to 217.5 Special Attack; that's an enormous special attack which you can use to your advantage. :P Instead of Taunt, you could run Hidden Power Ice instead to hit those pesky ground types like Landorus-T(uninvested) or Gliscor with the unexpected Ice attack which'll probably OHKO them.
Pokemon: Chandelure
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
EVS: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4HP
Nature: Modest / Timid
Shadow Ball
Fire Blast / Flamethrower
Energy Ball
Hidden Power [Ice]

And as for Bastiodon, it's a good pokemon to use, but you could use Skarmory instead. Skarmory is an amazing hazard setter and it walls a lot of Pokemon. Skarmory also has Sturdy and it can learn Whirlwind/Roar to get their Pokemon out and damaged by the rocks/spikes. With the hazards, whirlwind, you could also run Roost to recover HP lost earlier so that you can take on more moves later on in the battle. Finally, you can run Brave Bird so that when you're hit with a Taunt, you won't be forced to go into a different Pokemon, letting the other Pokemon setup, you can hit them with a STAB boosted Brave Bird which does 180 damage with STAB. And with it's "OK" attack stat at 80, it'll do a decent amount of damage as you have probably seen a Talonflame use Brave Bird before and seeing that Talonflame's attack stat is 81, Skarmory will do similar damage. c: You can also run Leftovers on the Skarmory to recover some health every turn or run a Skarmory to damage those physical attackers which try to attack you while you setup hazards.
Pokemon: Skarmory
Item: Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
EVS: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 ATK/Spe
Moveset:
Brave Bird
Roost
Stealth Rock / Spikes
Whirlwind/Roar

Also, you could replace Gengar with Aegislash as Aegislash is a beast. With it's 150 Defense and 150 SpDefense you could run the SubToxic stall set which is Substitute, Toxic, King's Shield and Shadow Ball. With the substitute, you won't be taking much damage from Pokemon as with the 150 Defense and SpDefense, it'll keep the Sub there for atleast 1 hit while you Toxic the Pokemon and then you just stall them out from then on. You run Leftovers with this set to recover some HP every turn as you took some damage from making a Sub.
Or, you could run the mixed attacking set:
Pokemon: Aegislash
EVS: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 ATK
Nature: Mild
Shadow Ball
Shadow Sneak
King's Shield
Flash Cannon
You run this set with Life Orb to take chunks out of your opponents health with Shadow Ball / Flash Cannon. Flash Cannon is mainly for dark types like Mandibuzz, as you'll be able to 2HKO it with a life orb boosted Flash Cannon. Shadow Ball, with not many types resisting it or being immune to it, this makes Shadow Ball your main attacking move as it takes away huge chunks of your opponent's health. Then there's Shadow Sneak to either clean up after you did tons of damage with Shadow Ball, or it's to take out Pokemon like Alakazam, Latios as a Life Orb Shadow Sneak. Then there's King's Shield to turn into the Shield Form, and with 150 Defense and Special Defense, you'll be able to live a hit from most Pokemon that have no stat boosts.
That's all I gotta say really. :P

Last edited:
For the Chandelure, you could run Flash Fire instead of Infiltrator mainly because of the fact that it will absorb the fire type moves and the fire move will give the Chandelure a specs boost. As to how you could get a fire type move to hit your Chandelure, you could send out your Mawile and then immediately switch into Chandelure. Although this might not work, it's good to have a go eh? c: You could also run choice specs or choice scarf. Giving Chandelure a Choice Scarf will make it a good revenge killer as it's amazing special attack with it's 120 speed(Scarf), it'll probably OHKO/2HKO quite a lot of Pokemon. With the Specs, it'll boost the Chandelure's 145 Base Special attack to 217.5 Special Attack; that's an enormous special attack which you can use to your advantage. :P Instead of Taunt, you could run Hidden Power Ice instead to hit those pesky ground types like Landorus-T(uninvested) or Gliscor with the unexpected Ice attack which'll probably OHKO them.
Pokemon: Chandelure
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs/Choice Scarf
EVS: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4HP
Nature: Modest / Timid
Shadow Ball
Fire Blast / Flamethrower
Energy Ball
Hidden Power [Ice]

And as for Bastiodon, it's a good pokemon to use, but you could use Skarmory instead. Skarmory is an amazing hazard setter and it walls a lot of Pokemon. Skarmory also has Sturdy and it can learn Whirlwind/Roar to get their Pokemon out and damaged by the rocks/spikes. With the hazards, whirlwind, you could also run Roost to recover HP lost earlier so that you can take on more moves later on in the battle. Finally, you can run Brave Bird so that when you're hit with a Taunt, you won't be forced to go into a different Pokemon, letting the other Pokemon setup, you can hit them with a STAB boosted Brave Bird which does 180 damage with STAB. And with it's "OK" attack stat at 80, it'll do a decent amount of damage as you have probably seen a Talonflame use Brave Bird before and seeing that Talonflame's attack stat is 81, Skarmory will do similar damage. c: You can also run Leftovers on the Skarmory to recover some health every turn or run a Skarmory to damage those physical attackers which try to attack you while you setup hazards.
Pokemon: Skarmory
Item: Rocky Helmet / Leftovers
EVS: 252 HP / 252 DEF / 4 ATK/Spe
Moveset:
Brave Bird
Roost
Stealth Rock / Spikes
Whirlwind/Roar

Also, you could replace Gengar with Aegislash as Aegislash is a beast. With it's 150 Defense and 150 SpDefense you could run the SubToxic stall set which is Substitute, Toxic, King's Shield and Shadow Ball. With the substitute, you won't be taking much damage from Pokemon as with the 150 Defense and SpDefense, it'll keep the Sub there for atleast 1 hit while you Toxic the Pokemon and then you just stall them out from then on. You run Leftovers with this set to recover some HP every turn as you took some damage from making a Sub.
Or, you could run the mixed attacking set:
Pokemon: Aegislash
EVS: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 ATK
Nature: Mild
Shadow Ball
Shadow Sneak
King's Shield
Flash Cannon
You run this set with Life Orb to take chunks out of your opponents health with Shadow Ball / Flash Cannon. Flash Cannon is mainly for dark types like Mandibuzz, as you'll be able to 2HKO it with a life orb boosted Flash Cannon. Shadow Ball, with not many types resisting it or being immune to it, this makes Shadow Ball your main attacking move as it takes away huge chunks of your opponent's health. Then there's Shadow Sneak to either clean up after you did tons of damage with Shadow Ball, or it's to take out Pokemon like Alakazam, Latios as a Life Orb Shadow Sneak. Then there's King's Shield to turn into the Shield Form, and with 150 Defense and Special Defense, you'll be able to live a hit from most Pokemon that have no stat boosts.
That's all I gotta say really. :P
Namdachu, the sets you suggested are really better for the pokemon I use, but only individually. I think the sets i'm using run better on the team, with all the other pokemon, like i explained on the post. Anyways, thanks.

Last edited:
I ran a team similar to this and its epic! I wonder if there's anyway to effectively bring in a rapid spinner into the team because any entry hazards ruin smeargle's chances of effectively passing. But if you run it right, you should be able to bring smeargle in right after bastiodon magic coats all of those potential hazards. But they could still get one in if you use a turn to set up stealth rocks. But dude I love this. My favorite smash pass team yet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)