SM OU Baton Pass (what else?) #3 with 1941 Elo, 88.2% GXE

Proof of peak:

Introduction:

Hey, I welcome you to my second RMT in SM OU. This Baton Pass Squad is by far not perfect and I built it before Mega Hera was released (well tats the reason it is not perfect lol) but it managed to peak #3 with it thus the RMT. It is sooooooooo easy to ladder with. Even if you lose once coz of Matchup, youll make that up by winning 10 games back.

Analysis:

Scolipede @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthhquake
- Protect
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

248 Speed is to underspeed other Scolipede to Batonpass with momentum (slow Batonpass). But you can go much much lower, depending on how much you fear Scarf Lati, Keldeo, Nihilego, Gengar. I think it is safe to drop the speed to 351 but beyond that it is risky.
Earthquake is to kill Heatran because they carry Roar lately. You noticed I dont have Espeon which means I cannot have the luxury to use Spikes/Tspikes/Toxic Spikes or Pjab. Eq also hits Magearna, Mega Mawile, Exca and can revengekill weakened Alolawak.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Toxic

After the Metagrossite ban (I used Rocks+Explosion), I came back to use this mon. You can poison MHera turn 1 which is a huge threat to this team. You can run Aerial Ace LOL, MHera is a huge HUGE threat. God, why did they have to release him after I built this team lol

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 220 HP / 96 Atk / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Taunt

Go to the Replaysection if you do not believe in Spdef Bulu ;)
This is mainly for Stall. This things kills everything and with Rock Slide, even Shedinja does not wall you. RH Tang is not a counter, unless it has Sludge Bomb. You can Taunt Toxapex to prevent Haze and Toxic from Chansey. You dont even need to pass speed to this for stall. For other MUs Bulus Grassy Terrain is amazing to help Scolipede Sub/Protect even more.

0 SpA Tangrowth Hidden Power Ice vs. 223 HP / 188 SpD Tapu Bulu: 82-98 (24.4 - 29.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery and Grassy Terrain recovery

Just SD as much as you want and Horn Leech it all back. Also a nice Ash Gren/Koko counter and good to replace Terrains.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rest
- Rain Dance

I like pink fat mons. This Manaphy helps Scaldburning physical threats should they get out of hand. RD+Rest with this bulk gives you the potential to defeat Ferrothorn unless it has Leech Seed+Power Whip (pls dont use that). If you are not a fan of this set, feel free to use the common Sitrus Set. Energy Ball is nice to oneshot Fini at +3 but Psychic is nice for Mega Venu and Toxapex. Waterium Z is also possible to kill AV Muk and AV Magearna at +3, but Sitrus/Lefties recovery is usually the better option.

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 96 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I love BoltBeam with Flash Cannon. No need for Z-Moves or Fleur Cannon to oneshot Landot, Zygarde or Garchomp. 96+ is still strong enough to oneshot max HP Zygarde after Rocks with Ice Beam and is nice for Zapdos as well. CM+TBolt help pressure Toxapex and Flash Cannon is for Stab. Also nice to break through Mega Venu and does good damage against Koko but feel free to use Aura Sphere, HP Fire or even Shadow Ball over it.

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 40 HP / 184 Atk / 252 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

I used Buzzwole alot but found myself dying to Moonblast from Finis or being brought to Ash Gren priority range. I did not like that and heavily invested in Spdef. The physical bulk is already superb and with Leftovers, almost nothing can hope to revengekill you.

Replays:

Importable:
Scolipede @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 8 SpD / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Baton Pass

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 96 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 220 HP / 96 Atk / 188 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide
- Taunt

Buzzwole @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 40 HP / 184 Atk / 252 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rest
- Rain Dance

Threats:
Mega Hera (Toxic it. Never click Sub against this mon)
Offensive Zapdos (sack 1-2 sweepers to it or hope your opponent chokes and lets you Toxic it)
Whirlwind Skarmory on teams that can handle SD Taunt Bulu
DITTO

Final words:
To make this team better, you can prob. replace Buzzwole with Mhera. If you want to use Espeon over Bulu, you do not need EQ on Scolipede that much. Also from laddering I came to realize, that offensive Manaphy is better TG, Surf, Ice Beam, Psychic/HP Fire

Last edited:
Nice team and grats on getting so high ELO.

These teams annoy me greatly so I have to ask, what are the best tools for stopping BP teams like this? I really don't want to use Haze.

Also how does offensive Zapdos beat this team?

Last edited:

These teams annoy me greatly so I have to ask, what are the best tools for stopping BP teams like this? I really don't want to use Haze.

Also how does offensive Zapdos beat this team?
Haze from Toxapex does not even stop max Atk Eq Scolipede.

Offensive Zapdos does not beat this team, it is just annoying coz if it predicts right, it can 2hko every recipient (and for some reasons my Magearna always gets burned from Heat Wave)

One of the best ways to deal with BP teams is prob. boosting alongside Scolipede with someting like SD to make sure the recipient cannot setup without dying or by having good MU (MHera, Alolawak etc.). Also some super reliably revengekillers like Sash Counter Zam, Sash Duggi can helps prevent a sweep. Taunt spam also helps. Even if the receiver is behind a Sub, usually without a boosting move you can weaken it enough to revengekill. Just dont sack your Taunter.

Example of Tauntspam:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-564073226

This was basicly our rematch after I lost to him. He had Taunt+Ferro
Turn 26 was the keyturn where I predicted him to double back and clicked Baton Pass. If i got the roll with Tbolt I won with Magearna, but Buzzwole wanted to win so yea. Also if I had Pjab this matchup wouldve been easier.

Trick Room also invalidates the speed boosts and its members are typically hard to OHKO.

Trick Room also invalidates the speed boosts and its members are typically hard to OHKO.
Since this teams Scolipede has EQ, you can stall out the members Trick Room while being able to 2HKO the offensive mons (Magearna, MMawile, Alolawak).
So this team does not have a terrible MU against Trick Room. If Trick Room utilizes SD MHeracross, then it is over lol

Flyinium Z Dugtrio actually solves the Mega Hera problem for baton pass teams, at least outside of Trick Room, as Supersonic Skystrike is a guaranteed OHKO. You just have to get it in safely by double switches or sacrificing your least important pokemon to Heracross.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)