Baton Pass

Baton Pass really exceeds the "move" area and is more of a playing style, so I tagged it "Other". If a mod feels it should be tagged "Move," I have no problem with it being changed!

Lately I've been using Baton Pass, and I've found it's actually really good. I am here to raise Baton Pass awareness! It is a great team style if you build it right. Contrary to popular belief, it's not even a "one shot" type of game. Even if your recipient or one of links faints, there is still hope! If you have attacking moves on your links, your team can be turn out to be very sturdy.

First, let's take a look at the Pokemon that get Baton Pass.

[box]Aipom
Buizel
Buneary
Deerling
Drifloon
Eevee
Gligar

Ledyba
Mienfoo
Mime Jr.
Munna

Patrat
Sentret
Sewaddle
Shelmet
Skitty
Spinarak
Surskit
Togepi
Torchic
Venonat[/box]
I know. A lot of Pokemon got Baton Pass that I didn't know about either!

I put the more relevant Pokemon in bold. The other ones can't really pass anything important and have subpar stats for Baton Passing.

Now, let's take a quick look at the better users:

• Bulk Up
  • Agility
  • Switcheroo

• Calm Mind
  • Trick
  • Magic Coat
  • Pain Split
  • Hypnosis

• Agility
  • Swords Dance
  • Taunt
  • Roost

• Regenerator
  • Swords Dance
  • Calm Mind
  • Taunt

• Calm Mind
  • Barrier
  • Soundproof
  • Trick

• Moonlight
  • Stored Power
  • Calm Mind
  • Hypnosis

• Compoundyes + Sleep Powder
  • Agility

In addition to passing, receiving is half of the whole game, and some even argue that they are more important than the passers. While many of the Baton Passers can also receive very well, we're going to look at Pokemon used especially to receive to boosts. Ideally, it's a good idea to pass defensive boosts, Speed boosts, and boosts in one or both offensive stats to make sweeping as easy as possible. Below is a list of optimal receivers and what makes them good receivers.

• Enormous Attack stat with Thick Club
  • Great coverage
  • Reliable STAB

• Shed Skin
  • Drain Punch
  • Great offensive typing

• Drain Punch
  • Baton Pass
  • Can go mixed to hit Gligar
  • Swords Dance

• Suction Cups
  • Giga Drain
  • Recover

• Stored Power
  • Psyshock (special passing chains)
  • Moonlight
  • Calm Mind
  • Baton Pass

• Taunt
  • Perfect coverage and great stats
  • Nasty Plot

If you find more good passers or receivers that work well in chains, post them here! If you have any questions about Baton Pass, don't hesitate to ask here or in the LQLA thread.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
i know you are talking about full baton pass teams, but im going to just mention baton pass as a stand alone strategy. my most recent team revolves around just bp passing sd to a variety of mons that can fuck things up with a +2. this strategy is actually extremely effective and actually got me number 1 on the ladder because while a lot of things might be able to take a brave bird from subroost krow, they cannot take a +2 brave bird because its just overpowering

yeah individual Baton Pass is really good as well. Mainly, the thing that makes it kind of harder to pull off in my opinion is that since you're almost always passing without defense boosts, you need to predict really well and pass to a resist. The problem with that is that your opponent can just bring in a check and beat it. The only way to play that is to have a really sturdy core that can eliminate checks and remain defensively stable so your receivers can sweep. It's also way less predictable that you're using BP when your team isn't full of BPers, so it can be a good surprise!

For the record: Buizel is *WAAAY* too fragile to really make use of any kind of bulk up set baton pass or otherwise. IMO; it's better as a Swords Dance Reciever; reaching a respectable 17 speed and has access to Aqua Jet and water veil prevents burns (if you're into that). Meinfoo has access to bulk up; so it can pass that and Calm mind too (if you're into that, too).

I think Baton Pass has a great potential just due to the lack of the phasing and hazing in LC. I played against (what I am now assuming was on of your alts) a while ago and It sorta rocked (I mean it didnt help any that my idea for victory was just spam brave bird). I plan on making my own later today when i get home just to try it out.

Buizel is actually pretty cool (also it hits 19 speed not 17!) in my opinion since it can beat Taunt Gligar and some other annoying Pokemon like Hippopotas with Roar. Switcheroo is just really useful on BP teams to help you set up, and it gets Agility too. You'll actually be surprised that Buizel isn't that fragile if you give it an Eviolite. After a Bulk Up boost, it is very sturdy physically and strong. This is just what I've experienced, so I might have just been playing teams that lose to BP, but it's been pretty helpful on physical chains!

charmander, or should i say larry, your bp team is VERY annoying, but VERY effective. i have got to say, bp is pretty effective, even if it is only partially used on a team like prem said.

Baton is like watching someone do somethign really embaressing. It's just so much fun, you can't help yourself. Baton Pass has always been a thing that I personally have troubling countering, of course unless the person is dumb and doesnt know when to stop setting up. Baton Pass based teams are very tricky to pull off, unless you know what your doing. I personally think it's just better iuf you have like one mon just pass a boost to other pokemon that can desemate the oppoennts team (basically what prem said).

I think torchic could be viable, even though it has very unimpressing stats. With a focus sash, and access to swords dance, its could be a very threatening passer, if the passe can survive a hit, such as scraggy with eviolite. That does mean no substitues, but i digress. It wouldn't be the best, just somethign to not underestimate. Baton Pass can be very trollish, if you know what your doing at least.

Unfortunately, Torchic is not eligible in Little Cup with Speed Boost, as that is not available before Level 10.

Unfortunately, Torchic is not eligible in Little Cup with Speed Boost, as that is not available before Level 10.
Derp. I feel so stupid, but still, Speed Boost just helps it do it's job. You still could use Torchic, but its not the greatest idea, you could use Aligity, but I mean... Torchic still sucks, but it MIGHT be somethign to try for something different lul.

Oh, Torchic. Get released in female then you'll be better. D:<

Though to be honest I don't particularly find Baton Pass to be that great of a team strategy in Little Cup, due to the time it generally takes to acquire effective boosts. In this time, it is rather easy for something like Scraggy to set up on you. However, I do believe short chains are a very effective strategy in Little Cup. Things such as Mienfoo or Gligar can pass pretty devastating boosts to the very same Scraggy, or anything really. That works pretty well, as shown by prem's RMT. Even if prem does suck...

well, you set up on them while they set up. If Scraggy is using Dragon Dance, you can use Acid Armor or Barrier and outboost it. Pretty much how to check threats with BP isn't to kill them, but make them completely useless so you can set up on them. I think it's true that just one passer is better at times, but chains work really well if you can build them well. The only problem with full chains is there are such few combinations that it is hard to make a sturdy one....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)