Battle Institute Master Ranks

The Battle Institute test in San Diego was fun. I got a 6460 (using not-Unova-exclusive-Pokemon though, while the opponents were all Unova Pokemon). I don't remember all the battles but the opponents seemed to get progressively better; I never did the non-downloaded one so I don't know how to compare it.

:toast:it wasnt that hard to deal with when i had my garchomp dragonite double team

both had accuracy reducing items, and garchomp used earthquake or d rush, while dragonite would use safeguard then d rush

the only time i got worried was the guy with the legendaries, when dragonite fainted but i sent out tyranitar to use giga impact and rock slide

sadly i didnt get to use my scrafty who had dragon dance ice punch drain punch and stone edge

my end score was 6000 and change

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I reached the Master Rank of the Single Battle in the Battle Institution a while back with a team of Bulk Up Conkeldurr (my first B/W breed, wasn't focusing on IVs at the moment and was chasing for natures), OTR Reuniclus (from my younger brother), and an Expert Belt Hydreigon, which I bred to have a Rash nature and Dark Pulse. I was able to obtain 6111 points with said team.

And is it just me, or is it much easier to get a master rank in doubles? I ran a surf spam team of Gastrodon, Vaporeon, Lumineon and Jellicent, and got Master Rank first time, whilst I cannot seem to get more than 5800 points in singles.
According to the formula, it makes a whole lot of sense. You face 20 Pokemon in the doubles test, as opposed to 15 in singles, therefore more points are available.

It really all depends on luck. I've used Heatran/Milotic/Virizion, Milotic/Virizion/Reuniclus, Milotic/Haxorus/Garchomp. My favorite lately, however, was Whimsicott/Samurott/Haxorus!

I must admit. You all are great trainers for obtaining the Master Rank! It must have took a long time to prepare the best Pokemon teams you can come up with to take on the Single and Double challenges. Keep up the good work! You might even beat your personal best as well.

I wonder what's the highest score when you take on the Battle Institute?

Oh wow...I didn't know master rank existed, since it wasn't listed on Serebii. I thought that 7th star was for some kind of downloadable test GF would make or something.
Anyway, the first time I went through I got 5911 using my VGC11 team:
- Mienshao
- Carracosta (Sturdy + Shell Smash + Mental Herb = win)
- Terrakion
- Amoongus
That's the highest score to date, didn't realize I was so close to "master". I now have something to do this weekend.
From experience, I know that length of the battle has not much of an effect on score. I remember that they kept sending Forretress against me, and with a team full of physical attackers, it took forever for me to kill. Every one of them kept spamming Iron Defense; it's like the computer isn't even trying to win, they just want to piss you off.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
From experience, I know that length of the battle has not much of an effect on score. I remember that they kept sending Forretress against me, and with a team full of physical attackers, it took forever for me to kill. Every one of them kept spamming Iron Defense; it's like the computer isn't even trying to win, they just want to piss you off.
Length of the battle actually can have a big effect. You lose 10 points every turn the battle goes on.

Let's see... 6533 in Doubles. The CPU at the Institute tells me I used a Trick Room team; consisting of Reuniclus, Amoongus, Emboar (lol), and Escavlier.

Length of the battle actually can have a big effect. You lose 10 points every turn the battle goes on.
Hmmmm...well, doubles matches last much shorter, so with a solid doubles team, you'd probably lose a lot less points for turns than in a singles match. Whatever I did to win the fight must have made up for all the points lost for battle length.

I got what I believe was 6752 in singles with garchomp, terrakion and metagross. I was able to outrage, stone edge or EQ and/or swords dance for 3-0 in 3-4 turns the first 4 battles, and switching in to terrakion or metagross against ice or dragon once I believe. I found you get a lot of OHKO's with this team because not much can survive banded type boosted stone edge/close combat or swords dance outrage, and metagross can kill any threats to them like fast ice types and bulky fighting types.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I got Master Rank my first time with Starmie/Garchomp/something. Starmie's coverage meant that it was usually hitting SE and that things were usually dying in one shot. It only ended up fainting once in Round 6, at which point Garchomp cleaned easily.

The doubles team I obtained master rank (6346 points) Was Slaking, Shuckle, Ferrothorn, and Jellicent. Slaking and Shuckle go out slaking attacks and Shuckle uses Gastro Acid on Slaking so he can attack every turn. If Slaking didn't take out the opposing pokemon, Ferrothorn and Jellicent do through. Shuckle just stays around to divert damage from the others and take away annoying abilities (levitate, wonder scale, etc). Doesn't always get master rank but never had less than elite.

The doubles team I obtained master rank (6346 points) Was Slaking, Shuckle, Ferrothorn, and Jellicent. Slaking and Shuckle go out slaking attacks and Shuckle uses Gastro Acid on Slaking so he can attack every turn. If Slaking didn't take out the opposing pokemon, Ferrothorn and Jellicent do through. Shuckle just stays around to divert damage from the others and take away annoying abilities (levitate, wonder scale, etc). Doesn't always get master rank but never had less than elite.
necro thread gif 2.gif
Nice strategy.

Just picked up master rank, 6005 points in singles
Team of Mega Blastoise, Rocky-Helmet Arcanine and Air Balloon Metagross... got it on the 2nd attempt with this team, first attempt i was para-flinched to oblivion :P

I got Master Rank in doubles with Zoroark f (leftovers) with attract, night daze, protect, and substitute - Malamar m (red card) switcheroo, night slash, psycho cut, superpower - Mega Lopunny m (Lopunnite) High Jump Kick, Return, Fire Punch, Bounce - Aegislash m (Weakness Policy) king's shield, iron head, shadow claw, head smash.
Who knew Zoroark could be such an annoying pokemon to take out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)