Battle Maison Discussion & Records

My team for Super Singles so far has been Drought Ninetales / Chlorophyll Venasaur / Multiscale Dragonite. So far hasn't worked out well for me, as the furthest I've gotten has been the 5th trainer.
Any advice?

Bulky seems good in Maison.

Gooey Goodra is doing wonders, as Gooey frequently gives it two consecutive attacks vs most physical attackers, and often two shots them.

I haven't tried Battle Maison yet, but I am planning to use Sticky Web Galvantula and Gooey Goodra alongside a really bulky, but slow Physical Attacker. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Mega Mawile or Mega Medicham, but I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Bulky seems good in Maison.

Gooey Goodra is doing wonders, as Gooey frequently gives it two consecutive attacks vs most physical attackers, and often two shots them.
What sort of set should I run on Gooey Goodra?

I've actually gone and replaced Dragonite with Mega Blzaiken, and my streak seems to be improving. Managed to get up to the 12th battle before I got really unlucky and came up against a Choice Scarfed Tyranitar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't tried Battle Maison yet, but I am planning to use Sticky Web Galvantula and Gooey Goodra alongside a really bulky, but slow Physical Attacker. Any suggestions? I'm thinking Mega Mawile or Mega Medicham, but I am open to suggestions.
Sticky web will be great in 6 v 6 singles Meta game, but trick room outclasses it in the battle Maison. For one, you will have to waste one of your pokemon on a Galvantula, which isn't a great pokemon in its own rights. You'll have to rely on your other two pokemon. At least in 6 v 6, 5/6 of your pokemon will be able to cover the weaknesses of having a Galvantula. If you want to go the speed debuff route, trick room would be more suitable with a reuniclus. A team of trick room reuniclus, mega mawile, and conkeldurr may be pretty good.

How is the switching in Battle Maison? Last gen there was a small amount.
Anyway, I'm sure the AI doesn't switch enough (and only has 3 Pokemon) for entry hazards of any kind to be worth it.

I have already beaten all the normal battles and now I do the super single battles using a pretty good team of (mega) Gyarados, Choice Scarf Garchomp and SD Aegislash. I am now at 34 and earn 5 BP after each battle which is really nice. These three are all flawless. I love the new breeding mechanics!
What moves do each of your Pokémon know, just out of curiosity?

If the 5th gen battle subway is anything to go off of, A Naughty Focus Smash Cloyster with Icicle Spear / Rock Blast / Surf / Shell Smash might brutally violate the singles line. I've gotta breed one for it! Mega Blaziken also looks excellent.
Posting to confirm that Cloyster does indeed chew faces off once in the Battle Mansion. That exact set is doing wonders and has me costing into the 30s. Rest of the team is composed of a Mega Charizard Y and a Garchomp to go with it. I want to replace Charizard with a Mega Blaziken once I get my hands on a good one and I want to replace Garchomp with some sort of special attacker that can take on bulky waters.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Posting to confirm that Cloyster does indeed chew faces off once in the Battle Mansion. That exact set is doing wonders and has me costing into the 30s. Rest of the team is composed of a Mega Charizard Y and a Garchomp to go with it. I want to replace Charizard with a Mega Blaziken once I get my hands on a good one and I want to replace Garchomp with some sort of special attacker that can take on bulky waters.
If you think Cloyster is wrecking face in the first few battles, wait 'til you get to the Super Single Chatelaine ;)

Has anyone seen any opposing Pokemon that have Mega Evolved yet? That would screw over some of the most popular strategies from past generations, since you can't use Trick on something with a Mega Stone and Mega Evos could beat the Entrainment Durant strategy by attacking on the first turn and evolving the next turn to get rid of Truant.

What moves do each of your Pokémon know, just out of curiosity?
Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Return
Earthquake

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Fire Fang

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword
Substitute --> Iron Head
Swords Dance

I used Iron Head at first, but Substitute has proven to be really good. Set up on one Pokemon, then faint the next 2 Pokemon. Got to 69 on my first try and I am at 49 again. Biggest threats are bulky waters and the 2 grass ghosts (trevenant and gourgeist).

Has anyone seen any opposing Pokemon that have Mega Evolved yet? That would screw over some of the most popular strategies from past generations, since you can't use Trick on something with a Mega Stone and Mega Evos could beat the Entrainment Durant strategy by attacking on the first turn and evolving the next turn to get rid of Truant.
I haven't seen any Pokemon Mega Evolve, and I don't think they are able to do so.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Return
Earthquake

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Fire Fang

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword
Substitute --> Iron Head
Swords Dance

I used Iron Head at first, but Substitute has proven to be really good. Set up on one Pokemon, then faint the next 2 Pokemon. Got to 69 on my first try and I am at 49 again. Biggest threats are bulky waters and the 2 grass ghosts (trevenant and gourgeist).

I haven't seen any Pokemon Mega Evolve, and I don't think they are able to do so.
I actually never considered Aegislash running Substitute. When I think about it, it does make sense. I guess I'm just too used to seeing it running a King's Shield.

Finally finished training my team for this., and had a question. After beating the normal singles line, will super singles have you rebattle the sister EVERY 20? I may get decently far and would like to know since items like Specs and LO are expensive as always.

I posted this on the Battle Subway thread, but (un)fortuately, Truant Durant still works. It's not as good w/out Whimsicott around yet, but the option's there

I'll post some theorymon later, I'm still training up a Starmie and Garchomp to grind normal Singles for BP.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Forgive me, I never went into the Battle Subway. What is the significance of Truant Durant?
Durant learns Entrainment, which gives the opponent your ability (In this case Truant). In Subway, because the AI barely (if ever) switch, you can literally stall/do what you want with a protect + set up move mon and then sweep the rest of their team super easily. It's such a broken tactic I believe the Subway thread has *different* leader borads for Durant teams and non Durant teams.

How about a hydreigon or mega venusaur?

I'm on my 46 battle currently. I'm using

Greninja @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
Timid Nature
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Dark Pulse
~ U-Turn

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
~ Swords Dance
~ King's Shield (very useful)
~ Shadow Sneak
~ Sacred Sword

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Trait: Gooey
Modest Nature
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpA
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Sludge Wave
~ Thunderbolt

Oh and BTW, Serebii confirmed that Heatran isnt obtainable in the game but I just ran into a trainer who have Zapdos/Moltres and Heatran. So weird.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
The Battle Maison is designed for a game which will eventually have PokeBank, so of course they'll add old Pokemon in there.

Why else would I have seen a Torterra in the Battle Institute?

I'm on my 46 battle currently. I'm using

Greninja @ Life Orb
Trait: Protean
Timid Nature
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
~ Surf
~ Ice Beam
~ Dark Pulse
~ U-Turn

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
252 HP/252 Atk/4 Def
~ Swords Dance
~ King's Shield (very useful)
~ Shadow Sneak
~ Sacred Sword

Goodra @ Choice Specs
Trait: Gooey
Modest Nature
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpA
~ Draco Meteor
~ Fire Blast
~ Sludge Wave
~ Thunderbolt

Oh and BTW, Serebii confirmed that Heatran isnt obtainable in the game but I just ran into a trainer who have Zapdos/Moltres and Heatran. So weird.

With regards to a Pokémon's Nature, do you just have to catch the Pokémon and hope you got the nature you want, or is there some way to determine what nature a Pokémon will be? I'm just asking because I've caught 5 Honedge's, none of which have an Adamant nature.

With regards to a Pokémon's Nature, do you just have to catch the Pokémon and hope you got the nature you want, or is there some way to determine what nature a Pokémon will be? I'm just asking because I've caught 5 Honedge's, none of which have an Adamant nature.
Natures in the wild are random only if you lead with a pokemon with the synchronize ability. Then there is a 50% chance that caught pokemon will have the same nature as the synchronize pokemon. Natures, however can be bred very easily. All you need is a female of the pokemon you wish to breed and a male of the same egg group with your desired nature. If you attach an everstone to a pokemon, the child of the two will always have the nature of the pokemon holding an everstone.

Natures in the wild are random only if you lead with a pokemon with the synchronize ability. Then there is a 50% chance that caught pokemon will have the same nature as the synchronize pokemon. Natures, however can be bred very easily. All you need is a female of the pokemon you wish to breed and a male of the same egg group with your desired nature. If you attach an everstone to a pokemon, the child of the two will always have the nature of the pokemon holding an everstone.
With regards to the Synchronize passing on the nature, I think I now know why a lot of my Pokémon are Modest nature.

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Dragon Dance
Waterfall
Return
Earthquake

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Outrage
Earthquake
Dragon Claw
Fire Fang

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Brave Nature
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword
Substitute --> Iron Head
Swords Dance

Also, how often do you use Garchomp's Outrage? I'm just curious because of a possible scenario where the opponent sends out a Fairy-type and Garchomp's locked into Outrage.

Also, how often do you use Garchomp's Outrage? I'm just curious because of a possible scenario where the opponent sends out a Fairy-type and Garchomp's locked into Outrage.
I only use Outrage when I have to. I try to use Earthquake as much as possible, but the power of Outrage is needed sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)