Battle Maison Discussion & Records

The only Pokemon you can encounter with Attract after battle #40 are Dugtrio 1 (on Worker Rasmus team) and Serperior 1 (on some of the Breeder teams). Dugtrio 1 is 50/50 for male vs. female; Serperior is 87.5% male. So male is better to counter Attract than female is.

Kangaskhan <3 Return. Seriously, don't even consider giving up Return, it's the primary reason why Kangaskhan is so good. Some people drop Power-Up Punch for Earthquake, which is fine; it makes Mega Kangaskhan more of a cleaner than a set-up sweeper, but it plays that role very well. That said, these Pokemon aren't great against Rock/Ground types if Kangaskhan doesn't have Earthquake.

Against Tornadus 2, Aegislash wants to stall out Hurricane without ever switching out of Shield Forme; on a single turn, it can get hit by Hurricane, get confusion hax, and murder itself with +6 confusion damage when it switches into Sword Forme. The safest way to do this is to just spam King's Shield, but you run the risk of getting too low on PP if Tornadus uses Double Team too many times.

There are a few disadvantages to "fast Aegislash." The advantages are that it speed ties (and can possibly outspeed and OHKO) Porygon2 and can outspeed and OHKO some things it can't KO with +6 Shadow Sneak. The downside is that a lot of those Pokemon can have Sturdy (Donphan, Magnezone who is only a speed-tie anyway, Regirock, Probopass, Aggron) or Focus Sash (Tyranitar). Given that Aegislash can tank a hit from almost any of the Pokemon that it would outspeed with Adamant +31 speed IVs, I found it easier to run a slower set, tank the hit, and take them out with a Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak combo. That obviously wouldn't work if Aegislash were usually at low health after it set up, but it's generally at full health or very close to it when it starts attacking.

Also, this team HATES Zapdos 2. My team didn't like Zapdos 2, but with Safeguard to protect Kangaskhan from Static/Heat Wave burns and Yawn to buy me some time, I would generally win against it. But between Double Team + Bright Powder misses, the threat of Kangaskhan getting hit with status, and the fact that it has Roost to heal off any damage you inflict with the other two, you'll have a hard time getting past Zapdos 2 without incurring heavy losses. And if you lose Kangaskhan against a Veteran, you're in a really tough spot if they bring out a Fire-type.
I meant giving up Fake Out for EQ, which I think I'm going to do also so I can try and use MegaKanga in my Triples team (in construction)
I see the problem with Zapdos2, I'm contemplating what to do with Togekiss.
The Aegislash isn't meant to be outspeeding people he has 0 Speed EVS its just the way the egg came out with the 31 IVs (damn good genes), does this mess anything up that you can think of?
The Attract thing I'd only seen once on Jynx1 earlier than #40 so that's why I was thinking female but that's good from here I'll be fine.

Thanks a lot

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I got all five trophies, with in-game name provided as proof of identity.

I don't have much time currently, so I'll quickly summarize my teams instead of making a big write-up.

Triples to 50 was just an extension of the team I used for Doubles: I added a Solosis for double Endeavor, and my last slot really didn't go to use, so I stuck a Walrein from Hoenn there because I wanted to get the ribbon from winning on him.

Rotation was maddening for me. I wanted to use my shiny (Mega) Ampharos on a team, so I figured a rain team would be suitable. I lost at 40-something to a Double Team Bastiodon after rain wore off so Thunder and Hurricane (from Tornadus-T) didn't have perfect accuracy. >_> So I figured I needed recovery, and, well, people do say defensive teams are suited for Rotation. So then I went to 'usual' team members. I reached 49 with a mishmash team of Clefable/Mega Kangaskhan/Gliscor/(Chansey or Heatran), but since I figured the musketeers would give Mega Kangaskhan and Heatran trouble, I switched Mega Kangaskhan out for Mega Venusaur and switched Chansey back in. The Chatelaine battle was particularly maddening because of Latias dodging Toxic and Leech Seed (I know, they have 90% accuracy anyway. I'm not looking for a high streak.) at least three times, all while using Recover to heal off residual damage. I'm so glad I kept Clefable in my team, since Calm Mind does nothing with Unaware up. :D I ran out of Toxic on Gliscor in this match, but I finally managed to poison Latias with Chansey, so it eventually fainted.

I meant giving up Fake Out for EQ, which I think I'm going to do also so I can try and use MegaKanga in my Triples team (in construction)
I see the problem with Zapdos2, I'm contemplating what to do with Togekiss.
The Aegislash isn't meant to be outspeeding people he has 0 Speed EVS its just the way the egg came out with the 31 IVs (damn good genes), does this mess anything up that you can think of?
The Attract thing I'd only seen once on Jynx1 earlier than #40 so that's why I was thinking female but that's good from here I'll be fine.

Thanks a lot
Word of warning, EQ does not get the Parental Bond second hit outside of Singles, so it will be significantly weaker, and be mindful of random Aura Spheres hitting Khan across the field.

So, here's how things have gone so far. Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but hey I thought it would be nice to share.

Say, finally got to the Chatelaines in the Super Multis. I actually sticked to Mega Charizard Y and Eruption Typhlosion. In the end I figured that I porbably wasn't using the team properly... and I was right. Instead of trying to reinforce the backline and support Feraligatr, I decided, screw it let's support the front line. Feraligatr is pretty unreliable anyways with incredebly poor judgment on his moves (seriously, he tried to Ice Punch several times a Ninetales and spams earthquake on Grass types.) And to be honest, the Charizard Y + Eruption combo makes the first 40 battles a breeze, among advantages:

-Drought after Mega Evolving ensures that if you run into Snow Warning or Sand Stream the first turn you still get the sun anyways.
-NO FREEZE HAX. Seriously, the other teams I tried dreaded Blizzard with its perfect accuracy and freezing luck outs.
-Thunder and Hurricane losing accuracy is hardly a bad thing, and not only for Charizad. Even if he goes down the team will appreciate the surivial.
-Both Typh and Zard can survive Water moves.
-Eruption gets powered up but Charizard can still finish off whatever Eruption didn't destroy. This is the advantage over Helping Hand, Zard can strike down several pokemon that resist fire with the nice coverage of Sunnybeam, Dragon Pulse and Ancient Power. Dragons, Rocks, Water, Fire and several dual types.
-If you know when Eruption will take down both Pokemon at once you can take advantage of that and use Flamethrower with Zard on Typhlosion for extra power. Here is the idea in action: FZ8W-WWWW-WWW7-GYXK (Yeah, f*** you Archeops.)

The issue is that the very few counters to the counter can stop it on its tracks, but that can also be worked around. So what did I do:

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
-Bullet Punch
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Aerial Ace

With this guy Archeops and Aerodactyl aren't big trouble anymore. Before they stopped me on my tracks but here, he can take their attacks and kill with Bullet Punch. In the latest run I encountered several of them and Scizor could handle them. While most rock users are slow and can be Sunnybeamed down, the two that gave trouble Archeops and Aerodactyl go down against this guy. Thing is, take out Charizard quickly when they show up, even if you didn't setup Sun. They'll likely use Rock Slide, but Typh would have gotten an Eruption in by that point. Scizor can use Bullet Punch to finish them quickly and unlike previous, slow team members I used such as Swampert he won't take too many hits.

Not to mention that with Assault Vest Scizor can take many hits that aren't Fire moves so for most of the time he's a safe switch in.

Now, this is by no means unbeatable. There are several weaknesses that could be taken care of if I had control of the other half of the team, but otherwise can mean trouble:

-Scarfed Landorus: Yeah, the reason I got this far is that I didn't run into this asshole in this run. But Scarfed he's a tiny bit faster than Typhlosion and can take him out with Earth Power putting the whole offensive on halt. I guess switching out Typh would work but I can't do that on multis. Wish I had HP Ice on Zard Y.

-Flash Fire Pokemon: These since they absorb Eruption and also get a boosted power can be a bad thing, and Scizor has no way of hurting them before being taken out with a fire move. Since Typh is likely to be stuck with Eruption it has to be Zard who takes them out with Ancient Power. Kinda a pain, given usually I use Eruption to weaken them before finishing them off.

-Entei: Flash Fire one to be precise. This guy is trouble, because it also carries Stone Edge meaning Zard is not safe and I can't use Scizor against him. If he pops up at the wrong time I am screwed, the fact he's as fast as Zard doesn't help. I beat this guy in my encounter with it solely because Typh went for Focus Miss and actually connected, his Stone Edge missed and Zard finished with Ancient Power.

-Lati@s: This is more of a guess, actually... They are faster than Zard and resist Eruption. Luckily I didn't run into them, I guess between Eruption and Dragon Pulse they can be beaten. But not really sure since I haven't tried I can't tell if they resist both Eruption and Dragon Pulse or go down with them or if their moves can OHKO my team members. That said, Scizor can take them on I guess.

-Terrakion: This guy is trouble. Faster than Zard, resists Eruption and has stabbed Stone Edge (will go for it since hitting Zard 4x damage is too sexy for the AI to ignore). I managed to beat him in because I set up Sun and Eruption weakened him enough to have Scizor use Bullet Punch and another Eruption to beat him. But that was mostly a lucky strike, his partner Swampert wasted two turns Cursing (hehe...) and Scizor could finish him off as well.

Now the reason why I posted this before beating the bosses...

I have a pretty bad matchup in that battle, to be honest. From the pool of 7 potential opponents 2 screw me over completely (Morgan's Terrakion and Nita's Landorus) and Morgan's Latias can be an issue because it's pretty sturdy. Not to mention that as far as I know it's completely randomized which team members they will be using and in which order. I mean if Thundurus or Tornadus along with Virizion or Cobalion go first I pretty much won since none of them can take Eruption, but that's too much of a gamble.

Thought I don't like the idea I was thinking of using a setup particularly for that battle. Thought I am not really sure what to use or what partners should I consider.

I know this may be a little on the air... but anyone has an idea of what Pokemon and setups are the best for this particular battle?

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You've definitely got the right idea in dropping Mega Charizard Y for the boss. Scarf Landorus is going to destroy Typhlosion if it appears and there's not much you can do about that with the AI being as it is, outside running Ice Shard or Fake Out on your lead. For the rest of their Pokémon, Mat Block Greninja outspeeds them all and takes any hit with Sash, gives your friendly Typhlosion a free turn with Mat Block, and deals out STAB SE attacks against most of the possible Pokémon. For the back-up, a big powerhouse like MegaKhan could work, as it mostly fears Musketeers, which are OHKOed by Scarf Eruption for Cobalion and Virizion and Grass Knot for Terrakion, respectively. The two Genies that carry Focus Miss could also wreck MegaKhan, but with Fake Out and Typhlosion/Feraligatr providing Eruption/Ice Punch support, they should be manageable.

Edit: Scratch the MegaKhan, I was looking at the wrong Chatelaines. Seeing as they have more fighting moves than I thought, it's probably not ideal. Looks like they've got no Dragon resists, Dragon moves, or Ice moves, so something as simple as Scarf Garchomp as a back-up could 2HKO them all. You could even run Outrage since the only Steel in the mix should be fodder for the AI partner.

Last edited:
So, here's how things have gone so far. Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but hey I thought it would be nice to share.

Say, finally got to the Chatelaines in the Super Multis. I actually sticked to Mega Charizard Y and Eruption Typhlosion. In the end I figured that I porbably wasn't using the team properly... and I was right. Instead of trying to reinforce the backline and support Feraligatr, I decided, screw it let's support the front line. Feraligatr is pretty unreliable anyways with incredebly poor judgment on his moves (seriously, he tried to Ice Punch several times a Ninetales and spams earthquake on Grass types.) And to be honest, the Charizard Y + Eruption combo makes the first 40 battles a breeze, among advantages:

-Drought after Mega Evolving ensures that if you run into Snow Warning or Sand Stream the first turn you still get the sun anyways.
-NO FREEZE HAX. Seriously, the other teams I tried dreaded Blizzard with its perfect accuracy and freezing luck outs.
-Thunder and Hurricane losing accuracy is hardly a bad thing, and not only for Charizad. Even if he goes down the team will appreciate the surivial.
-Both Typh and Zard can survive Water moves.
-Eruption gets powered up but Charizard can still finish off whatever Eruption didn't destroy. This is the advantage over Helping Hand, Zard can strike down several pokemon that resist fire with the nice coverage of Sunnybeam, Dragon Pulse and Ancient Power. Dragons, Rocks, Water, Fire and several dual types.
-If you know when Eruption will take down both Pokemon at once you can take advantage of that and use Flamethrower with Zard on Typhlosion for extra power. Here is the idea in action: FZ8W-WWWW-WWW7-GYXK (Yeah, f*** you Archeops.)

The issue is that the very few counters to the counter can stop it on its tracks, but that can also be worked around. So what did I do:

Scizor @ Assault Vest
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk / 6 Spd
-Bullet Punch
-X-Scissor
-Brick Break
-Aerial Ace

With this guy Archeops and Aerodactyl aren't big trouble anymore. Before they stopped me on my tracks but here, he can take their attacks and kill with Bullet Punch. In the latest run I encountered several of them and Scizor could handle them. While most rock users are slow and can be Sunnybeamed down, the two that gave trouble Archeops and Aerodactyl go down against this guy. Thing is, take out Charizard quickly when they show up, even if you didn't setup Sun. They'll likely use Rock Slide, but Typh would have gotten an Eruption in by that point. Scizor can use Bullet Punch to finish them quickly and unlike previous, slow team members I used such as Swampert he won't take too many hits.

Not to mention that with Assault Vest Scizor can take many hits that aren't Fire moves so for most of the time he's a safe switch in.

Now, this is by no means unbeatable. There are several weaknesses that could be taken care of if I had control of the other half of the team, but otherwise can mean trouble:

-Scarfed Landorus: Yeah, the reason I got this far is that I didn't run into this asshole in this run. But Scarfed he's a tiny bit faster than Typhlosion and can take him out with Earth Power putting the whole offensive on halt. I guess switching out Typh would work but I can't do that on multis. Wish I had HP Ice on Zard Y.

-Flash Fire Pokemon: These since they absorb Eruption and also get a boosted power can be a bad thing, and Scizor has no way of hurting them before being taken out with a fire move. Since Typh is likely to be stuck with Eruption it has to be Zard who takes them out with Ancient Power. Kinda a pain, given usually I use Eruption to weaken them before finishing them off.

-Entei: Flash Fire one to be precise. This guy is trouble, because it also carries Stone Edge meaning Zard is not safe and I can't use Scizor against him. If he pops up at the wrong time I am screwed, the fact he's as fast as Zard doesn't help. I beat this guy in my encounter with it solely because Typh went for Focus Miss and actually connected, his Stone Edge missed and Zard finished with Ancient Power.

-Lati@s: This is more of a guess, actually... They are faster than Zard and resist Eruption. Luckily I didn't run into them, I guess between Eruption and Dragon Pulse they can be beaten. But not really sure since I haven't tried I can't tell if they resist both Eruption and Dragon Pulse or go down with them or if their moves can OHKO my team members. That said, Scizor can take them on I guess.

-Terrakion: This guy is trouble. Faster than Zard, resists Eruption and has stabbed Stone Edge (will go for it since hitting Zard 4x damage is too sexy for the AI to ignore). I managed to beat him in because I set up Sun and Eruption weakened him enough to have Scizor use Bullet Punch and another Eruption to beat him. But that was mostly a lucky strike, his partner Swampert wasted two turns Cursing (hehe...) and Scizor could finish him off as well.

Now the reason why I posted this before beating the bosses...

I have a pretty bad matchup in that battle, to be honest. From the pool of 7 potential opponents 2 screw me over completely (Morgan's Terrakion and Nita's Landorus) and Morgan's Latias can be an issue because it's pretty sturdy. Not to mention that as far as I know it's completely randomized which team members they will be using and in which order. I mean if Thundurus or Tornadus along with Virizion or Cobalion go first I pretty much won since none of them can take Eruption, but that's too much of a gamble.

Thought I don't like the idea I was thinking of using a setup particularly for that battle. Thought I am not really sure what to use or what partners should I consider.

I know this may be a little on the air... but anyone has an idea of what Pokemon and setups are the best for this particular battle?
turskain made some pretty good suggestions. Another option is seeing you have any other AI allies who might handle that pool of seven Pokemon a little bit better. Alternatively, something like Scrafty might be a good lead to partner with Typhlosion, hitting Terrakion with Intimidate, using Fake Out against Scarf Landorus, and making swift work of Latias with Crunch (I mean, I primarily recommend Scrafty because I used it...but it was pretty awesome!).

Mat Greninja sounds great, but I need to find a new partner for him to go. Problem is, Scarf Landorus still would kill my Typh partner in the case he pops up or worse, be Focus Blasted by Landorus. Given its initial dark typing he will draw that attack to him.

Sucks you can't practice mock battles with Multis.

Scrafty sounds nice as well. But I'd have to breed one, so I'll put that on hold for a bit.

However, I did find something, dating from Emerald and SoulSilver:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Modest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 Hp / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
-Draco Meteor
-Psychic
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt

and

Latias @ Life Orb
Nature: Timid
EVs: 6 Hp / 252 Sp. Atk / 252 Spd
-Ice Beam
-Psyshock
-Surf
-Dragon Pulse

First of all, LOL at this: http://i60.tinypic.com/fjoju9.jpg

EDIT:

The Lati twins did their job nicely. And to be honest I was surprised at two things: 1. Typh didn't use Eruption and 2. Feraligatr was actually useful for the first time in the entire run.

Here are the details: LLTG-WWWW-WWW7-GZD9

Yeah, I freeze haxed, but hey Focus Blast missed so I guess it kinda balances out.

BTW, this was my expression when Landorus was in the first line:

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/light_psychotic_grin_8235.jpg

Seriously thanks to all of you guys for the help. Really helped me in the long run and I finally got this over with.

Last edited:
So I got bored and figured now was as good a time as any to make this post. So here it is: key threats to consider when making a Super Singles team.

Any Super Singles team you can imagine is more vulnerable to some threats than others. But there are a handful of Pokemon that seem to frequently cause problems for both new and experienced Battle Maison players. Not every team will be weak to all of these threats, but you want to be sure you consider all of them when making your team. I note a few common checks or counters for each one; that’s not to say that those are all the counters that are out there, just that they’re the more conventional methods. I encourage everyone to try to find new Pokemon that do really well in the Battle Maison and can handle these threats. I love seeing new and creative Singles strategies. That said, if you just throw together a team of three novel Pokemon for the sake of being creative, you need to be prepared. After all, you’d hate to lose to…

Tyrantrum 4 (@ Choice Band, Adamant, Atk/Spd EVs: Crunch/Dragon Claw/EQ/Head Smash): Ignore every move but the last one. The reason you fear this thing is Head Smash, which is outrageously powerful with the Choice Band boost. Tyrantrum can avoid the recoil damage with its hidden ability as well, but you don’t care about its recoil; you care about how much damage it does to your team. It’s bulkier than you’d expect (takes only 84% max from Mega Scizor’s Bullet Punch) and faster than you’d expect as well. Suicune would need 148 speed EVs to outspeed, which is more than it can invest. If you’re considering using a Pokemon on your Singles team, consider what happens if that Pokemon KOs something and Tyrantrum 4 comes in (or, if it’s your lead, what happens if the opponent leads with Tyrantrum 4). Can you outspeed and OHKO? Can you afford to sacrifice that Pokemon knowing that an unknown third Pokemon might be waiting? Can you switch in something that can survive the hit? One of the biggest draws Aegislash has over Suicune is that it can safely come in on Head Smash and drop Tyrantrum’s attack with King’s Shield. Don’t get too cocky, though; if Tyrantrum hits twice and the second hit is a crit, Aegislash goes down. Common answers are Aegislash, Mega Kangaskhan (Earthquake), Dragonite (needs Outrage to OHKO), Haxorus (also needs Outrage to OHKO), Garchomp and Greninja. Just don’t get cute and try to set up; Tyrantrum OHKOs most of these Pokemon.

Jynx 4 (@ Wide Lens, Timid, SpAtk/Spd EVs: Lovely Kiss, Blizzard, Psychic, Fake Out): Jynx is much more threatening than it first appears. Fake Out is the least threatening move, but of course, it can mess with Focus Sash and Sturdy. The real problem are Blizzard and Lovely Kiss. Blizzard OHKOs common Dragonite leads, but threatens to freeze anything you switch in to tank the hit. Lovely Kiss incapacitates even Pokemon that wall Jynx, and with Jynx’s high speed, most Pokemon can’t get up a Substitute before getting hit with Lovely Kiss. Psychic rounds out the coverage, getting annoying SpDef drops on your Suicune/Aegislash/Azumarill/bulky Water switch-ins. In my 543 streak, my go-to strategy against Jynx was to switch in Aegislash and immediately OHKO it with Shadow Sneak, even though Aegislash has huge SpDef and resists all of Jynx’s moves. Don’t take this racist caricature lightly, or your hard counter will wind up fainted. Common answers are Aegislash, Suicune (stalling out Psychic’s PP isn’t too hard unless you get unlucky with sleep turns and SpDef drops), Greninja, and Mega Kangaskhan. Note that Mega Kangaskhan isn’t a great answer unless it’s Jolly, since Sucker Punch will fail if used against Lovely Kiss. Gengar takes it out, but can’t switch in at all (you can try to switch in on Fake Out, but I’ve found that it doesn’t use Fake Out that reliably). Oh, and Jynx can have Dry Skin, so it doesn’t even take damage from Scald when you use it to thaw out of that Blizzard freeze. Bummer.

Walrein 4 (@ Lax Incense, Bold, Def/SpDef EVs: Sheer Cold, Fissure, Rest, Sleep Talk): OHKO users have been a source of complaints for as long as Battle facilities have existed, and Walrein is the #1 culprit in X/Y. Nothing is immune to Sheer Cold except for Sturdy users, making it particularly annoying. You can try to beat it with brute force, but good luck if Lax Incense triggers on you. It also has huge bulk, surviving a +1 Dragonite Outrage 100% of the time. If you try to beat it with Toxic stall or something like that, it will Rest on you and use Sleep Talk to make up for the loss of Sheer Cold (and Fissure’s) PP. As far as I can tell, the most common strategy for facing this thing is “Attack with hugely powerful moves and hope Walrein misses.” My own personal strategy was “Smash its face in with Air Slash and hope I hax it more than it haxes me.” That said, Substitute is a great answer to this set, allowing you to stall out the terrible PP of OHKO moves. Suicune gets special mention, as Pressure makes PP go down even faster. Of course, you can also use Destiny Bond with Gengar.

Terrakion 3 (@ Sitrus Berry, Jolly, Atk/Spd EVs: Swords Dance, Sacred Sword, Rock Slide, Earthquake): In general, Terrakion is a powerful but manageable foe. You switch in a resist on its move, hit it with a super-effective attack, watch it faint. That all goes out the window when Terrakion uses Swords Dance on the switch. The good news is that this set runs Sacred Sword instead of Close Combat, limiting its damage output and helping bulky monstrosities like Suicune handle it better. The bad news is that it runs Rock Slide, and its high speed, it can outspeed and flinch most of your team. This is the most annoying thing about Terrakion; you never really know for sure if it’s going to attack or Swords Dance. If it Swords Dances, Dragonite can DD and KO next turn with Outrage. But if it uses Rock Slide, Dragonite could flinch and be vulnerable to fainting from Rock Slide next turn. Oh, and it survives an unboosted Aegislash Sacred Sword, with Sitrus Berry bringing it up to enough health to survive the Shadow Sneak next turn. Suicune takes it hits pretty well, but does barely over 50% with Scald. Good answers include Haxorus (assuming you avoid a Rock Slide flinch), Mega Scizor, Azumarill (again, watch out for flinches), and Greninja (who can survive a Rock Slide) and it does pretty poorly against most Pokemon who have already set up (Suicune, Dragonite, Haxorus, Aegislash). This set is Mega Kangaskhan’s mortal enemy (MegaKhan hates all Terrakion sets, but especially this one). Be sure you have a plan for Terrakion 3, though, especially in the lead spot. The good news is that only four trainers can run this set (Veterans Eleanor, Alfie, Saba, and Isabella), so it’s relatively rare.

Volcarona 4 (@ Leftovers, Bold, HP/Def EVs: Hurricane, Quiver Dance, Bug Buzz, Heat Wave): For a Pokemon with no Special Attack EVs, this thing is incredibly threatening. The problem lies in its combination of bulk, ability, and set-up move. Volcarona is very hard to OHKO; Mega Kangaskhan can’t take it out with Earthquake at +2. Obviously, it dies to Rock-type moves, but because of their imperfect accuracy, they’re generally a bad choice for Singles. That means most physical attackers rely on Earthquake or contact moves. Because very few Pokemon that are effective in Singles get STAB on Earthquake, most physical sweepers rely on their STABs to beat Volcarona, and most of those STABs are contact moves. Then you run into the risk of Flame Body. This (stupid) ability burns attackers 30% of the time on contact, meaning your physical sweeper just got a whole lot less threatening unless it was holding a Lum Berry (or has Guts). You can switch to a special sweeper, but it’s likely to Quiver Dance on the switch. Volcarona’s excellent special bulk just got a lot better, and it has a surprising amount of power at +1 with its strong STABs and Hurricane, but it will often keep boosting past +1 into truly frightening territory. On top of that, Bug Buzz hits through Substitutes. Fortunately, the common Dragon Dancers used in the Maison like Dragonite, Haxorus, and Gyarados are pretty good against Volcarona. Garchomp can take a hit at +1 and hit back with a +2 Earthquake, but it can’t OHKO unless it risks a burn and uses Outrage. If you’re not using a Dragon, good luck; this thing can be a nightmare for unprepared teams. Or you can be like me and spa, Air Slash with Togekiss, crossing your fingers and hoping that you don’t miss and that it doesn’t feel all that interested in setting up a bunch of Quiver Dances.

Starmie 4 (@ King’s Rock, Timid, SpAtk/Spd EVs: Surf/Psychic/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam): With a “normal” item, this set would be a threat. Great speed, power, andcoverage, along with annoying secondary effects on TBolt and Ice Beam, make Starmie a real threat. The fact that they gave it a King’s Rock means that your counters just got 10% less reliable. Cool leads like Lum Berry Dragonite, who would typically only have to worry about an Ice Beam crit, now have to be concerned about a flinch as well. Like Jynx, Starmie is pretty bad against sweepers who have already set up. But if you choose to sacrifice a Pokemon, consult the trainer lists and see if they might have a Starmie waiting in the wings; if so, that sacrifice could cost you the game. Good answers to Starmie include Greninja, Ferrothorn, Aegislash, and Mega Kangaskhan (note: this is a really good reason to run Sucker Punch on MegaKhan). Note that defensive checks like Aegislash and Ferrothorn can get screwed by freeze/paralysis or flinches, so don’t get too greedy if you’re trying to set those Pokemon up.

Garchomp 4 (@ Focus Sash, Jolly, SpAtk/Spd EVs: Swords Dance/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Dragon Claw): Oh, were you thinking of using a defensive team in the Maison? Oh, you naïve moron; I hope you brought Unaware Clefable. And this is coming from a guy who used three out of four defensive Pokemon in his Rotations streak; I LOVE me some stall. But Garchomp is here to eat you alive. The good news is that, without Outrage, it has trouble getting KOs right off the bat against things that aren’t weak to one of its moves. The bad news is that Focus Sash is there to help make sure Garchomp takes something down with it, assuming you can take it out at all. It’s too bulky for Mega Kangaskhan to take it out with Sucker Punch, so you’re stuck relying on Earthquake or Return, and even Return won’t KO without a Power-Up Punch Boost. Dragonite’s forced to attack or switch to a teammate, allowing Garchomp a chance to set up a Swords Dance. Suicune relies on Icy Wind or a Scald burn, both of which carry risks. Thanks to Stone Edge, even Togekiss isn’t a good answer. Common checks include Azumarill, Ferrothorn (but be careful; it boosts faster than you do), Cloyster, Greninja (if you’ve broken its Sash; it can survive an unboosted EQ, but a high damage roll will mean you don’t survive after a round of Life Orb damage), and sacrificing something to break its Sash so you can bring in a different Pokemon to KO it with priority (no, seriously). Fortunately, the AI will sometimes Swords Dance when it would be much better off attacking (and vice-versa), so that can work in your favor.

Tornadus 1 (@ Life Orb, Timid, SpAtk/Spd EVs: Hurricane/Grass Knot/Focus Blast/Dark Pulse): Kind of like Starmie 1, but a little slower and a lot stronger. Life Orb makes this a monster to deal with; Hurricane’s damage output is incredibly. Handling its amazing coverage is no easy feat. On top of that, Hurricane’s 30% confusion rate can be incredibly annoying. Because it’s a Set 1 Legendary, it appears much more often than Terrakion 3, so you definitely want to have a plan for what to do it Tornadus 1 comes out in the lead spot. The most common lead on the leaderboard, Lum Berry Dragonite, is an amazing answer to Tornadus 1, easily tanking a Hurricane, setting up Dragon Dance, and getting rid of confusion thanks to its Lum Berry. Other good answers include Greninja, Azumarill (if you can avoid confusion), Mega Scizor (same), and Starmie. Tornadus 2 won’t get its own post, but it can also be a big threat with priority Double Team and Substitute and the excellent coverage of Hurricane and Focus Blast. Fortunately, that set doesn’t have speed EVs. But when you come up with a plan for Tornadus 1, make sure you know what to do if it turns out to be Tornadus 2 instead; you won’t know which set it is until the first move has been made (and sometimes not even then, if the first move is a Hurricane/Focus Blast miss).

Aerodactyl 4 (@ Choice Band, Jolly, Atk/Spd EVs: Stone Edge/Aerial Ace/Earthquake/Crunch): Tyrantrum Lite. Aerodactyl doesn’t hit nearly as hard as Tyrantrum, but its speed still makes it a huge threat, particularly against weakened teams. Adamant Dragonite won’t outspeed it at +1, meaning that leaving Dragonite in against it is a really bad idea. You respond to it the same way as you would to Tyrantrum, except you’re not going to try to outspeed it (unless you’ve already set up Dragon Dances/Shell Smash). Its lower damage output greatly increases the number of good checks, but most of these Pokemon don’t want to switch in against it. These include Azumarill (can be OHKO’d by a crit, but works well otherwise), Suicune (can be 2HKOd if one hit is a crit, but usually won’t be), and Scizor, along with Mega Kangaskhan and Aegislash. Fortunately, Mega Kangaskhan can switch in against Aerodactyl, which it couldn’t against Tyrantrum.

Zapdos 2 (@ Bright Powder, Bold, HP/SpDef EVs: Charge Beam/Heat Wave/Double Team/Roost): The fact that Zapdos has Static means it causes the same problems as Volcarona; physical attackers often don’t want to use their best moves against it for fear of paralysis. At least Zapdos lets you know whether it has Static or not (Zapdos’s alternate ability, Pressure, telegraphs; Volcarona’s Swarm does not); unfortunately, knowing that it has Static doesn’t always mean you can do anything to avoid it. This Zapdos doesn’t have any particularly strong moves, although Heat Wave will make short work of Pokemon who are weak to it like Scizor and Ferrothorn. It can then proceed to set up Double Teams in your face, gleefully Roosting off any damage you inflict. If you’re hitting it, you want to be shooting for a KO. Unfortunately, not even Life Orb Protean Greninja Ice Beam can manage that, and a single miss means you’re sitting there as an Ice-type, waiting to get roasted by Heat Wave. Like Walrein, the typical strategy for this thing appears to be “boost up sweepers and try to take it out really fast before it gets too many Double Teams.” Its low initial power makes that easier, but be warned; Charge Beam makes it a threat VERY quickly. A big problem is that it’s highly unpredictable; if your Pokemon isn’t weak to any of its moves, you never know for sure which one it will use. If, when planning your team, you notice that you’ll lose if you miss Zapdos 2 once, or that you’re relying on Mega Kangaskhan to set up Power-Up Punch (since unboosted Return doesn’t OHKO) while avoiding Static on three or four separate hits, you might need to think of a better way to beat it. Suicune does decently, using Pressure to stall out Charge Beam, but it has to be careful because it’s outsped. Dragons (especially Garchomp) can do quite well against it; most other Pokemon are running a real risk. You can try to take it out with Destiny Bond Gengar; just be ready for the AI to miss on your Destiny Bond turns.

Latios 2 (@ White Herb, Timid, SpAtk/Spd EVs: Draco Meteor, Thunderbolt, Psychic, Protect) and 3 (@ Choice Specs, Timid, SpAtk/Spd EVs: Draco Meteor, Psychic, Thunder, Energy Ball); Thundurus 2 (@ Choice Specs, Timid, SpAtk/Spd EVs: Thunderbolt, Dark Pulse, Focus Blast, Grass Knot): These all fall into the same category; they’re massively powerful special attackers with great speed and rarely-resisted STABs. Many teams lack an Electric-resist, which is fine, but be sure you have a plan to deal with Thundurus 2 throwing Choice Specs TBolts at you. Going without a Steel- or Fairy-type is risky because of these two Latios sets; nothing else besides Chansey and Blissey can really take Choice Specs Draco Meteor all that well. Latios 2 is the weaker of the two, but don’t underestimate it; the freedom to switch moves can prove fatal for your switch-in. Even very good switch-ins like Aegislash don’t want to be paralyzed by Thunderbolt (and yes, Aegislash absolutely hates paralysis, because it relies on a priority move that exposes its weak Sword Forme; one “fully paralyzed” turn = fainted Aegislash). It’s essential to consider these Pokemon when choosing a lead. What are you going to do if the opponent leads with Thundurus? Can you beat a team of three legendaries if Latios outspeeds and OHKOs your lead?

Cresselia 2 (@ Leftovers, Bold, HP/SpDef EVs: Double Team/Moonlight/Toxic/Protect): I’ve seen a lot of newer Maison players having trouble with this set, and it really can be incredibly annoying if you’re not prepared for it. It’s also completely walled by every Steel-type, Poison-type, Poison Heal, and Magic Guard Pokemon in the game, along with anything that has Rest. Oh, and any faster Pokemon with Substitute, as well as any slower Pokemon with Substitute that have a way to get rid of status. If you’re not running something that’s immune to Cresselia 2’s strategy, having a set-up sweeper is pretty important; it’s generally just too bulky to try to take it out through other methods (though Greninja can manage it if it can connect enough Dark Pulses).

Darmanitan 4 (@ Choice Scarf, apparently Impish, Atk/Spd EVs: Flare Blitz, Stone Edge, U-Turn, Superpower): Most teams on the leaderboard don’t have too much of a problem with this, because bulky Pokemon that resist Flare Blitz have become commonplace on Maison teams (Dragonite, Suicune, Azumarill, Garchomp, Gyarados), while my own 543 team sacrificed Togekiss to put it to sleep with Yawn, giving MegaKhan a free turn of set-up (trading Togekiss for a full-health +2 MegaKhan was usually a pretty good trade). But if you don’t want to use those Pokemon, Darmanitan can be a real threat to watch out for. Its nuclear-powered Sheer Force boosted Flare Blitz enables it to do heavy damage to many Pokemon, if your team is fast and frail, you want to know what you’re going to do if Darmanitan 4 comes in when your Fire-resist has taken some damage (if you have a Fire-resist, which not all teams do). Thankfully, its damage output is just low enough that non-resistant bulky sweepers can often survive Flare Blitz, but watch out for crits. If your whole team faints if Darmanitan gets a single crit, you may need to change things up a bit.

Barbaracle 4 (@ Razor Claw, Adamant, Atk/Def EVs: Stone Edge/Razor Shell/Cross Chop/Shadow Claw): Barbaracle isn't a very good Pokemon in competitive battles, so it's easy to underestimate it. But don't be fooled; this set is extremely dangerous. The problem lies in its Defense EVs and its high crit rate moves, which have their crit rate boosted to an insane 50% thanks to Razor Claw. Crits from this thing will already hit pretty hard, but when you add in the chance that it has the Sniper ability, you're facing a Pokemon that can dismantle your team if given the chance. You can use King's Shield to reduce its attack, but because crits ignore attack drops, it's unlikely that strategy will work too well (and Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak won't take it out). Its Defense EVs make it difficult to OHKO; an unboosted Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake only has a 50% chance of taking it out and Dragonite only has a 62.5% chance to OHKO at +1, leaving them at risk to one of Barbaracle's super-effective moves. Dragonite can only survive a crit Stone Edge if Barbaracle doesn't have Sniper; Mega Kangaskhan has almost a 50% chance of fainting to a crit Cross Chop even without Sniper. Good answers include Suicune (especially with Substitute; without Sub, Stone Edge crits are a big problem for it), Garchomp (it actually survives a Sniper crit Razor Shell), Greninja with Grass Knot, and getting lucky with coin flips. My own 543 team used Yawn with Togekiss, let Togekiss faint (if it died to a Stone Edge crit on turn 1, switch in Aegislash to bait Shadow Claw and immediately switch to Mega Kangaskhan), then set up to +4/KO it with Power-Up Punch while it sleeps; baiting moves can be important part of a strategy for beating Barbaracle 4. Seriously, this thing can be really hard to handle despite its crummy speed, and you really don't want to have to sacrifice a Pokemon to beat a freaking Barbaracle. But just remember that, in some cases, you might have to.

This certainly isn’t a comprehensive list of all the threats out there, and certain teams will have idiosyncratic weaknesses or opponents that become huge threats if one of their three Pokemon is weakened. But it’s a starting point of some potentially dangerous sets that you need to be ready for. Hopefully this will help people avoid unexpected losses at battle #200 to one of these dangerous Pokemon!

Last edited:

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Very good list; I'd add Barbaracle on it. What could threat could 115-base attack unboosted Stone Edges have, you ask? Turns out, a heck of a lot when it has Sniper and carries Razor Claw for +2 total crit chance resulting in 50% chance to crit with Stone Edge with the Sniper boost. It also survives unboosted EQ from Dragonite and Haxorus while OHKOing them with a critical Stone Edge. On the very common 50% Stone Edge crits, it hits nearly as hard as CB Tyrantrum Head Smash:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Suicune: 136-162 (65.7 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sniper Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Suicune on a critical hit: 126-150 (60.8 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And it has the ability to switch moves, allowing it to nail Aegislash with 50% critical Shadow Claw:

252+ Atk Sniper Barbaracle Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield on a critical hit: 123-147 (73.6 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Suicune can stall its Stone Edge PP, but if it gets good crits, which is not unlikely with the unreal 50% crit chance, Suicune can die. Greninja can come in on Shadow Claw and OHKO; Kangaskhan can also come in, but cannot securely OHKO at +0 with Barbaracle's Defense investment:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Barbaracle: 135-159 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

It also has a chance to survive Dragonite's +1 EQ if it comes in after set-up (Haxorus gets it 100% of the time):

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Barbaracle: 138-164 (93.8 - 111.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

This thing is more rare than the rest as it is a complete non-threat 2/3 of the time when it has no Sniper, but when it does, it can absolutely destroy teams if you're not prepared.

Last edited:
Small question, I do want to ask about this that I am hoping to use in the Maison at some point.

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Adamant/Jolly Nature
Moxie (Aerilate)
252 atk 4 def 252 spe
Quick Attack
Return
Earthquake
X-Scissor

I know M-Khan (which I do have, btw, I just wanted to use this for the fun) outclasses this, but bear with me. It's basically you come in after your lead dies, quick attack for the Moxie, then go to town. After the moxie, you hit even harder than M-Khan, your faster, and your priority isn't screwed over by random status ghosts/psychics. The main question I have is what nature to use, Adamant packs a lot of punch, but with Jolly you outspeed Garchomp and Landorus after you MEvo, so I am not entirely sure what to use...anyone have an idea?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since we've been recently talking about guides and threat lists I just thought I'd point out that someone began a maison guide in the C&C forum but it has been inactive for a month and hasn't progressed that much. I really wanted to help out but haven't had a whole lot of time for it, but you guys like NoCheese and VaporeonIce etc. should check it out.

Say, finally got to the Chatelaines in the Super Multis. I actually sticked to Mega Charizard Y and Eruption Typhlosion.
Totally did that before you :P I'm just glad that someone else found the strategy useful :)
(Here's the post explaining the Multis team BTW. For the sake of it XD)
I'd like to begin this post with a quote:
It's been a long time... How have you been?
So yeah it's been a while since I last posted here, hasn't it? I've been experimenting with Doubles a bit, so I decided to have some fun on Multis, needless to say I was pretty sucsessful in my endeavours. Anyways, I just wanted to note the team I used. I don't know if it's been used before, but it's pretty deadly when it works.
Operation Nuclear Fire.
Charizard @ Charizadite Y
Shiny
Modest Nature
Blaze>Drought
252SpecAtt/252Speed
-Heat Wave
-Solarbeam
-Dragon Pulse
-Earthquake
Y'know, I used to hate hate hate hate hate HATE HATE HATE Charizard, but after being given this Charizard by a good friend of mine, I decided to use it for a laugh and see what the fuss was about. Hot damn this guy, he's pretty good. Some may question Heat Wave over something like Fire Blast. I'd retort with "Meh, it hits both opponents". Solarbeam is pretty much necessary for coverage and getting to shout "IMMA FIRIN ME LAZOR". Dragon Pulse is for any and all Dragon types, mainly the Lati twins, which surprisingly only Latias appeared, and even then, it was the one time. Earthquake.... Yeah I didn't use this much, mainly for when my partner was low on HP and pretty much dead.
Bird Jesus (Yes I named him that.)

Hawlucha @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature
Unburden
252Att/252Speed
-Sky Attack
-Acrobactics
-Hone Claws
-High Jump Kick
Arguably the most underrated BL mon, Hawlucha has had a special place in my heart for a while (And no, it's not because it's the new Mexican Sterotype that makes me think of Miror.B.... Maybe) Mainly being clean up crew for when Charizard was KOd by a stray Rock move. Also Flying type because..... IDK I wanted Hawlucha to have the Expert Battler Ribbon. Not really much to say because he didn't come out often.
And now for my partner, I don't even remember who this person was to be honest XD but meh, they had two pokemon beginning with T.

Typhlosion @ Choice Scarf
Yeah it's Typhlosion 3. Modest Nature, EVs in Speed/SpecAtt. Ability is Flash Fire (I originally wanted to abuse that XD)
-Heat Wave (Never used)
-Eruption (May I say the most powerful Eruption in the entire game)
-Focus Blast (Used more than you think)
-Extrasensory (Never used)
And you see why I have a Megazard Y. I actually did some calculations, 150BP X1.5 for STAB and X1.5 again for Sun (I think that's how it works) X0.6 for Spread Damage = Everything Dies. I think it came to around 202.5 PER POKEMON. OUCH. I think that's the most powerful non suicide attack ever. (Besides STAB V-Create in the Sun) Nothing really much to say besides wow. (And that the Cyndaquil line is my favourite starter line <3)

Tauros @ Life Orb
Yup, Tauros 3.
Double Edge
Earthquake (Ya see why I have 2 Flying types?)
Giga Impact (lol)
Payback (Double lol)
Nothing much to say really, it saved me a few times (One incident involving a Aerodactyl, it OHKOd with a crit Giga Impact) and its pretty decent.... Apart from it's need to use Giga Impact like a madman ;-;

So with this near unstoppable team, how far did I get? 51 Wins. Yup. I'm planning for another run with a different team (namely a Reckless Staraptor instead of Hawlucha) and I can't provide proof of this magnicent run (3DS won't let me connect to wifi, and I don't have a camera phone)
And no, I'm not using WP Dragonite or Greninja. Maybe.
Edit: Hey look at that, I may be put on the Maison Multis streak thingy. Again, I don't have any proof of this remarkable Acheivement, but I don't want to be put on the list right now. I want to get higher than 51 is all. And stuff.
Edit... Again: Ignore me, just read the OP. I wanted to get a higher streak anyway :P
And grats on the trophies BTW :)

Very good list; I'd add Barbaracle on it. What could threat could 115-base attack unboosted Stone Edges have, you ask? Turns out, a heck of a lot when it has Sniper and carries Razor Claw for +2 total crit chance resulting in 50% chance to crit with Stone Edge with the Sniper boost. It also survives unboosted EQ from Dragonite and Haxorus while OHKOing them with a critical Stone Edge. On the very common 50% Stone Edge crits, it hits nearly as hard as CB Tyrantrum Head Smash:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Suicune: 136-162 (65.7 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Sniper Barbaracle Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 196+ Def Suicune on a critical hit: 126-150 (60.8 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And it has the ability to switch moves, allowing it to nail Aegislash with 50% critical Shadow Claw:

252+ Atk Sniper Barbaracle Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield on a critical hit: 123-147 (73.6 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Suicune can stall its Stone Edge PP, but if it gets good crits, which is not unlikely with the unreal 50% crit chance, Suicune can die. Greninja can come in on Shadow Claw and OHKO; Kangaskhan can also come in, but cannot securely OHKO at +0 with Barbaracle's Defense investment:

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Barbaracle: 135-159 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

It also has a chance to survive Dragonite's +1 EQ if it comes in after set-up (Haxorus gets it 100% of the time):

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Barbaracle: 138-164 (93.8 - 111.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

This thing is more rare than the rest as it is a complete non-threat 2/3 of the time when it has no Sniper, but when it does, it can absolutely destroy teams if you're not prepared.
Great call; I've edited the post to include Barbaracle 4. I think it's more dangerous than expected without Sniper as well; a Cross Chop crit can one-shot MegaKhan, and if you're trying something other than the established Maison Pokemon, many Pokemon will faint to a super-effective crit while being unable to OHKO Barbaracle first. Plus there's the fact that you never really know if it has Sniper until it hits you with a crit, meaning it can be hard to plan for it. I kind of neglected it because my best Singles team used it as free set-up to +4 with Mega Kangaskhan, but if you're not using the godly Yawn, this thing can be a massive threat.

Totally did that before you :P I'm just glad that someone else found the strategy useful :)
(Here's the post explaining the Multis team BTW. For the sake of it XD)

And grats on the trophies BTW :)
Thanks, dude. Yeah I am aware that Zard Y and Eruption Typh must have been done many times before, but I was having issues with the rest of the team, maily because my AI partner second Pokemon was a water poke with two water moves. It is a pretty damn good combo, the downsides are pretty much the lack of control of the other half of the team because of the multi battle. I just wanted to explain why I sticked to it and not appear too stubborn, given I was adviced to try smething else a couple of times.

The Eruption power is absurdly high, a couple of times I managed to activate Typh Flash Fire with good prediction and give another boost to Eruption. How much damage is that?

Thanks, dude. Yeah I am aware that Zard Y and Eruption Typh must have been done many times before, but I was having issues with the rest of the team, maily because my AI partner second Pokemon was a water poke with two water moves. It is a pretty damn good combo, the downsides are pretty much the lack of control of the other half of the team because of the multi battle. I just wanted to explain why I sticked to it and not appear too stubborn, given I was adviced to try smething else a couple of times.

The Eruption power is absurdly high, a couple of times I managed to activate Typh Flash Fire with good prediction and give another boost to Eruption. How much damage is that?
Considering absolutely everything (STAB, Flash Fire, Sun and spread damage)
Per Pokemon
DAYUM
And I guess you got screwed by your partner (A water type? Ouch, makes me feel lucky I had a Tarous with Giga Impact) what I'd recommend is having something to cover Zards weaknesses and can work on its own too. The A.I can be a dick though (As mentioned in my post. Fuck Focus Miss...) just keep hammering away and you should get it eventually :)

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
VaporeonIce, your threat guide is great. Multiple times when reading it, I thought "what about strategy X for handling that Pokemon?" and then I kept reading, and voila, there it was. I absolutely agree with your decision to add Barbaracle. Sniper alone isn't the issue, since Sharp Claws Cross Chop also hurts a bunch, and even the relatively-weak Razor Shell can cause huge problems if you are trying to wall Barbaracle thanks to the chance of a Defense drop. The one universal threat, in my mind, that you don't discuss in detail is evil Donphan4, but as you note, your guide is not intended to be comprehensive, so this is a minor quibble. I believe your threat discussion will prove very helpful to both new and experienced Maison players, and have linked to it in my general Super Singles guide.

Note that I've also updated my guide to reflect turskain's suggestions, and it now discusses the value of switch-stalling and removes Mega Charizard Y as a suggested Pokemon. Take a look at it HERE, and you are all encouraged to continue providing suggestions for improvement!

cant say, thanks for the heads up on the Maison article in progress; I'll give it a look.

EDIT: clarified wording in places

Last edited:
I got a meagre 64 streak in Doubles with a team that was modified from a decent team I used in the Subway (got 117 streak there) but I'd like some feedback on it please. This was the second time I treid this lead set so I could proably better this anyway.

(On a side note I seem to be doing OK in the Maison so far as I cracked singles on my first attempt with a team of Aegislash/M-Mawile/Rotom-W)

Yanmega @Life Orb
Modest Nature
Speed Boost
40HP/252Sp.A/4Sp.D/212Spe
- Detect
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- HP: Ice

It's a shame HP got nerfed this gen but this still seems to work well. Typically detect turn 1 unless I know for sure that I'm fast that both opponents then attack from turn 2 onwards. I really like this thing, I think it has good coverage and hits well. Incoming rock moves are obviously an issue. As the build was made in BW I EV'd according to the Subway there. As it stands after a Detect I outspeed all but 13 pokes in the Maison. Unfortunately at least half of those are potential threats.

Terrakion @ Focus sash
Jolly Nature
Justified
4HP/252Atk/252Spe
- Protect
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

This guy serves as a very good partner for Yanmega, countering a lot of it's threats. If I suspect a fake out I'll double protect first turn to get the speed boost and save the sash. Having Terrakion at 1HP also makes it much easier to predict where the AI will target. I don't really use Earthquake so the first change I'm considering is changing Earthquake for Quick Attack to give me a priority move.

In the back:

Venusaur @Venusaurite
Modest Nature
Chlorophyll>Thick Fat
12HP/248Sp.A/248Spe
IVs: 30Atk/30Sp.A/30Spe
- Sludge Bomb
- Energy Ball
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

I threw MV on the team to help agaisnt fairies and water/ground types. Really pleased with how it works but I think breeding another Venusaur with much mroe HP investment and Giga Drain would be good. This was a male only HA Venusaur from BW so couldn't get GD on it then but the recovery would help alot. IV's were RNG'd for HP: Fire and EV's were done for level 50

Latios @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Levitate
6HP/252Sp.A/252Spe
IV's: 30HP/30Atk/30Sp.A/30Spe
- Psychic
- Dragon Pulse
- HP: Fire
- Thunderbolt

Latios is my utility pokemon. It has HP: Fire for Scizor, Ferrothorn and Escavalier which would otherwise cause some issues. Thunderbolt for Gyarados. EV's are a bit messy for level 50 but nevermind. I've been tempted to use Assault Vest over Leftovers but I don't know if I'd miss the recovery. I've been tempted to replace Latios with Goodra or Salamence as I think I'd like the bulk of Goodra and I'd like the intimidate support from Salamence. 'Mence doesn't get T-bolt though which leaves me open to Gyarados anc I'm a bit concerned about Goodras speed. I also thought abotu Hydreigon but again no thunderbolt.

I'd really appreciate some thoughts on the team. I've tried to be quite original with it and still successful

Last edited:
Considering absolutely everything (STAB, Flash Fire, Sun and spread damage)
Per Pokemon
DAYUM
And I guess you got screwed by your partner (A water type? Ouch, makes me feel lucky I had a Tarous with Giga Impact) what I'd recommend is having something to cover Zards weaknesses and can work on its own too. The A.I can be a dick though (As mentioned in my post. Fuck Focus Miss...) just keep hammering away and you should get it eventually :)
Well that's overkill.

Yeah, Feraligatr loved to spam earthquake way too much. Sad part is it often ignored obvious attacks and did things like use Ice Punch repeatedly on fire types. I guess the sunlight made it brainfart or somenthing. But the good thing is I found Scizor could take care of most stuff the team (not counting Feraligatr when I say this) struggled against (speedy rock types, trick room, Lati@s, etc). Then again most of the shortcomings could be handled with switching in a Doubles Team.

Though yeah, having a water type as second pokemon was bad luck, any other type would have been better off. But alas, got my trophy so for now I am done with Multis.

I feel like the bosses in this generation are easier to get to, but slightly harder to beat depending on if the game wants to end your streak at 50.

I've gotten all of the trophies (except for Super Multi, granted that using an AI trainer as your partner to get to 50 is probably similar to performing heart surgery on yourself) using mostly the same Pokemon for all the different supers. I guess I'm sort of lucky, since I only lost once in each format somewhere between Battles 35-50 before getting to the bosses.

I did all the formats using some variants of the following 6 Pokemon:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy / Parental Bond
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
X/31/31/31/x/31
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Talonflame @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Speed
31/31/X/X/31/31
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Tailwind

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Atk
X/X/X/31/X/31
Naive Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse (Used to be U-Turn, helps explain the Naive Nature and filler attack EVs)

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed
31/31/31/X/31/X
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

Gengar @ Focus Sash
252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
X/31/X/31/X/31
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 252 Def
31/31/31/X/31/31
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Fire Fang (I alternated between the two, I didn't use either of them at all, so it's your personal preference)
- Swords Dance

For singles, I used Kangaskhan, Greninja, and Azumarill. One of the best megas for the Maison with two backups that can do a quick clean-up if it fails, or a ghost type pops up.
I would post the battle video here, but it's the first boss I beat, and I forgot to save the video. Oops. Nothing too special, so no big loss.

For doubles, I used Gengar, Kangaskhan, Greninja, and Azumarill. Just like singles, except with a Destiny Bond spammer that helps attract attention away from Kangaskhan at times, along with immediate help with ghost types, so a switch-out isn't needed.
Battle Video: 8XQG-WWWW-WWW3-D9Z4 - Nothing too special with this one either.

For triples, I used all 6, leading out with Gengar, Kangaskhan, and Talonflame. Priority Tailwind and immunity to Earthquake on both sides to start is really helpful to distribute as much damage as possible.
Battle Video: HFDG-WWWW-WWW3-ELKR - Hax out the ass on both sides with this one. I ended up winning by a Thundermiss on Azumarill from a Regice that probably would've made me lose.

For rotation, I used Kangaskhan, Talonflame, Greninja, and Azumarill. Although the AI in rotation is REALLY tricky here, it also has a good chance to try and predict things and screw up, so Pokemon that need setting-up can be exploited here, if you're feeling lucky.
Battle Video: 3T6W-WWWW-WWW3-FSQ3 - Again, nothing too special.
BONUS: NRRG-WWWW-WWW3-FSPV - My first run of rotation ended with me getting predicted and haxed the hell out of by the AI. Just an amusing side-note, I guess.

I do admit that I use a lot of really overused / unimaginary Pokes here, but it's against cheating AI that could care less while it sends out 3/4/6 legendaries that counter your entire team, so hopefully this will give those having trouble a few ideas.

EDIT: Oh yeah, my streaks are still ongoing, I'm just letting them sit at 50 while I get the last trophy for now. And apologies for the long first post.
download2.jpg

Almost 6 months later, I finally got a 2nd 3DS from a friend so I could do Super Multi Battles by myself because the computer is trash, and the last Maison trophy. It's a shame I couldn't get all of them pre-bank, or sooner in general, but I didn't use any bank pokes anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.

All the other formats are in the quote above. For Super Multi, I took my team from Super Doubles:

First Lead:

Ability: Scrappy / Parental Bond
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
X/31/31/31/X/31
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Fake Out (was formally Earthquake, helped more in Triples)
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Second Lead:

Gengar @ Focus Sash
252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
X/31/X/31/X/31
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

First Backup:

Greninja @ Life Orb (changed to a Choice Scarf in the Chatelaine Battle, because fuck Scarfed Landorus. Seriously. Also, I swapped the first lead and backup for the battle as well, because fuck Landorus.)
Ability: Protean
252 Sp. Atk / 252 Speed / 4 Atk
X/X/X/31/X/31
Naive Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Dark Pulse

Second Backup:

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed
31/31/31/X/31/X
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

The video for the Super Multi Chatelaine battle: 8GCG-WWWW-WWW7-H3K9

The rest of the battle codes can be found in the quoted post above.

And with this, I'll probably never go back to this cursed place again.

Last edited:
My streak isn't done yet in Super Multi Battle's but I thought I would at least share my team for now and post more when it's all over.

So atm my streak is at 75 wins and it has been accomplished with Artificial Intelligence.

The team I use consists of: Me: Gengar/Mega Kangaskhan
AI: Entei/Scizor

Gengar @ Focus Slash
Nature: Timid
IV's: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EV's: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spd, 6 Hp

- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam

Ability: Scrappy/Parental Bond
Nature: Jolly
IV's: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EV's: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 Hp

- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- Return
- Sucker Punch

Entei @ Choice Scarf

- Eruption
- Solar Beam
- ?
- ?
I don't know what Entei's 3rd and 4th moves are because he uses Eruption about 97% of the time and Solar Beam the rest of the time.

Scizor @ Life Orb

- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Frustration

I was really lucky that Scizor came with this moveset because Bullet Punch and U-turn are super effective against a lot of pokemon that I have faced.

I took Gengar because of the coverage he brings and his base stats where as I took Kangaskhan for the fact that other than Steelix and Ghost type pokemon that don't use an attack move Khan can wreck just about everything. I use Sucker Punch on Kangaskhan instead of Crunch because of the fact that it's useful in way to many other situations and Entei or usually it will come down to Scizor will be able to take down the no damaging move Ghost type.

I'm wiling to provide more feed back if asked and I will post the 50th win video some other time and will post the lost last battle video when it happens.

http://imgur.com/a/y5W0Q here are some pictures

Hi, although this is my first post on smogon, I have aleaways been a long time lurker of these threads ever since D/P. And I am so thankful for the awesome strategies that have been shared by this community over the years. You guys have really helped me out so thank you.

Anyway, while I do have some streaks of my own to post, I'll have to post them sonetime in the future when I will have WiFi again and I have the video code for when I upload them.

Nonetheless, I have a team that I'm currently working on for doubles in which I was hoping to get some critique to make it more effective. So, I've been wanting to build a team centered around using Mega Lucario. And this is what I have come up with:

Lucario @ Inner Focus
Jolly - Lucarionite
252 Atk 252 Spd 6 HP
31/31/31/31/31/31

-Close Combat
-Flash Cannon
-Ice Punch
-Protect

The star of this team. Mega Lucario is so damn beast with Adaptability Close Combat. A 240 BP nets so many OHKOs even with the Jolly nature. Flash Cannon to hit fairies and because Bullet Punch was not bred onto this lucario before it was transferred. However, Flash Cannon is overall more powerful than Bullet Punch despite the Jolly nature and the priority isn't needed much for this team. Ice Punch to hit Dragons and Protect to safely mega evolve and because it's generally a good move for doubles.

Zapdos @ Pressure
Timid - Life Orb
Flawless HP Ice Spread
252 SpA 252 Spd 6 HP

-Thunderbolt
-Heatwave
-HP Ice
-Protect

Originally, I was using a Choice Specs Modest HP Flying Zapdos instead but the ability to switch up moves and use Protect was too good to pass up. And actually, this lead was inspired from a VGC team by BenjitheGREAT in 2013. I originally was was using Terrakion and Zapdos lead with Suicune and Mega Scizor in the back. Got to 116 until I horribly missplayed against a team of Sceptile ans Infernape lead with Delphox and Serperior in the back. It should have been an easy win to be honest. I have to give it another try now that I have more free time in my hands.

ANYWAYS, getting a little sidetracked there when I should be talking about the team I'm using now. Thunderbolt as main stab, Heatwave for nice coverage, HP Ice for dragons mainly, and Protect because Protect.

A very powerful lead IMO because the AI almost always targets Lucario. It kind of works as bait which allows Zapdos (if it doesn't protect first turn) to put a huge dent onto something for Lucario and Zapdos to cleanup the following turn.

Talonflame @ Gale Wings
Adamant - Choice Band
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 Atk 252 HP 6 Def

-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Will-O-Wisp

Pretty standard set for the Battle Maison. All Talonflame really does is use Brave Bird and cleanup.

For the last slot, I wanted to use a Ground type to cover the electric weakness my team would have trouble dealing with. I tried out Garchomp at first but I wanted something bulkier and not have that doubles weakness to Ice as well so the next poke I have been using was...

Swampert @ Torrent
Adamant - Assault Vest
31/31/31/x/31/31
252 HP 252 Atk 6 SpD

-Waterfall
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Rock Slide

After seeing Mercury having success with Assault Vest Swampert in Triples, Swampert seemed like a really good choice to use over Garchomp for this team. The EVs could be tweaked a little to give it more bulk but it's been working decently currently. Pretty standard moveset.

Battles are super fast with this team which is what I love about having two powerful threats as leads. This team currently has me sitting at 50 but I'm not that confident it'll get me a high streak if we're being honest here. So, any team improvements, better teammates for Mega Lucario, EV spread suggestions, etc are all welcomed and appreciated.

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Looking through R Inanimate's list of the 100 trainers you face in the later battles in the Maison, I realized that while the list was mostly complete, a few trainers lacked confirmation of the specific sets to which they have access. I updated those entries using Team Rocket Elite's complete trainer list, and tried to order things as efficiently as possible. Group A and B Pokemon are listed right up front for easy reference, as are Veterans, since confirming which legendary sets I am facing is my most frequent reason for consulting a trainer list. Everything else is arranged alphabetically by trainer type, and where I can't cleanly summarize the Pokemon a trainer uses, I list them all. Note that I do not split trainers by those first appearing after battle 30 and those first appearing after battle 40. All are listed together by type. Within the Group A and B Pokemon lists, I also highlight Pokemon appearing in VaporeonIce's Super Singles threat guide.

This is intended as a quick reference list, something one can print out and use when away from a computer, or manually scroll through on a phone, as the full trainer list can be a bit unwieldy when not using a computer's search function. To emphasize, almost all of the credit for this must go to R Inanimate and Team Rocket Elite...I just used Team Rocket Elite's research to update and slightly reorganize R Inanimate's guide.

"A" Set Pokemon (includes new Pokemon)
Abomasnow4, Absol4, Alakazam4, Altaria4, Ambipom4, Armaldo4, Aromatisse4, Aurorus4, Avalugg4, Barbaracle4, Bisharp4, Blastoise4, Blaziken4, Breloom4, Carbink4, Charizard4, Chesnaught4, Clawitzer4, Cofagrigus4, Cradily4, Cryogonal4, Darmanitan4, Delphox4, Dewgong4, Druddigon4, Dugtrio4, Durant4, Electrode4, Emboar4, Empoleon4, Exploud4, Feraligatr4, Ferrothorn4, Florges4, Forretress4, Froslass4, Gastrodon4, Gogoat4, Golem4, Golurk4, Goodra4, Gothitelle4, Gourgeist4, Granbull4, Greninja4, Hariyama4, Hawlucha4, Infernape4, Jynx4, Kangaskhan4, Lanturn4, Lilligant4, Lopunny4, Ludicolo4, Manectric4, Marowak4, Medicham4, Meganium4, Miltank4, Mr. Mime4, Musharna4, Nidoking4, Nidoqueen4, Noivern4, Pyroar4, Quagsire4, Raichu4, Reuniclus4, Samurott4, Sawk4, Sceptile4, Scrafty4, Serperior4, Shiftry4, Skarmory4, Skuntank4, Slowbro4, Slowking4, Slurpuff4, Spiritomb4, Staraptor4, Swampert4, Sylveon4, Talonflame4, Tauros4, Torterra4, Toxicroak4, Trevenant4, Throh4, Typhlosion4, Tyrantrum4, Unfezant4, Venusaur4, Victreebel4, Vileplume4, Vespiquen4, Weezing4, Whiscash4

"B" Set Pokemon (old Pokemon only)
Accelgor4, Aerodactyl4, Aggron4, Ampharos4, Arcanine4, Archeops4, Bastiodon4, Beartic4, Blissey4, Bouffalant4, Braviary4, Bronzong4, Carracosta4, Chandelure4, Claydol4, Conkeldurr4, Crobat4, Donphan4, Dragonite4, Drapion4, Drifblim4, Dusknoir4, Eelektross4, Electivire4, Escavalier4, Espeon4, Excadrill4, Exeggutor4, Flareon4, Floatzel4, Flygon4, Gallade4, Garchomp4, Gardevoir4, Gengar4, Gigalith4, Glaceon4, Gliscor4, Gyarados4, Haxorus4, Heracross4, Hippowdon4, Honchkrow4, Houndoom4, Hydreigon4, Jolteon4, Kingdra4, Klinklang4, Krookodile4, Lapras4, Leafeon4, Lickilicky4, Lucario4, Luxray4, Machamp4, Magmortar4, Magnezone4, Mamoswine4, Mandibuzz4, Metagross4, Mienshao4, Milotic4, Mismagius4, Muk4, Ninetales4, Pinsir4, Politoed4, Poliwrath4, Porygon24, Porygon-z4, Probopass4, Rampardos4, Rapidash4, Rhyperior4, Roserade4, Salamence4, Scizor4, Seismitoad4, Shuckle4, Slaking4, Snorlax4, Starmie4, Steelix4, Tangrowth4, Tentacruel4, Togekiss4, Tyranitar4, Umbreon4, Ursaring4,Vanilluxe4, Vaporeon4, Volcarona4, Wailord4, Walrein4, Weavile4, Yanmega4, Zebstrika4, Zoroark4

LEGENDARY SETS 1 AND 2 ONLY

Veteran Dorian
Veteran Howell
Veteran Jake
Veteran Stanislaw
Veteran Catherine
Veteran Hera
Veteran Sibyl
Veteran Zenobia

LEGENDARY SETS 3 AND 4 ONLY

Veteran Alfie
Veteran Eleanor

ALL LEGENDARY SETS

Veteran Isabella
Veteran Saba

--

Ace Trainer Claus - 4th Set B + Latios 1, 2
Ace Trainer Colin - 4th Set Mixed + Latios 1, 2
Ace Trainer Jai - 4th Set High SpA + ALL Latios
Ace Trainer Sigurd - 4th Set A + Latios 1, 2

Ace Trainer Bunny - 4th Set bulky SpD + ALL Latias
Ace Trainer Gwen - 4th Set B + Latias 1, 2
Ace Trainer Nikita - 4th Set Mixed + Latias 1, 2
Ace Trainer Victoria - 4th Set A + Latias 1, 2

Artist Redd - 4th Set A
Artist Wenge - 4th Set B

Artist Azure - 4th Set Ground, Rock, Steel + Regirock 1, 2
Artist Rose - 4th Set B

Backpacker Perdido - 4th Set A
Backpacker Rolf - 4th Set B

Battle Girl Kata - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock
Battle Girl Mae - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock
Battle Girl Rei - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock

Beauty Claire (Lana in ORAS) (Rain) - Ampharos4, Aromatisse3, Aurorus4, Bronzong1, Bronzong2, Carracosta3, Dewgong4, Electrode4, Floatzel (all), Gastrodon1, Goodra3, Goodra4, Greninja2, Jolteon2, Jolteon3, Kingdra (all), Lapras1, Ludicolo (all), Manectric4, Noivern4, Politoed2, Seismitoad (all), Weezing3, Zebstrika2

Beauty Lucetta (Naveen in ORAS) - 4th Set Normal, Dark, Fairy
Beauty Lucille (Birdie in ORAS) - 4th Set Normal, Dark, Fairy
Beauty Orla (Kenna in ORAS) - 4th Set Water, Ice

Black Belt Tyrell - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock
Black Belt Sebastian - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock
Black Belt Wystan - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock

Butler Deacon - 4th Set A
Butler Noah - 4th Set B

Chef Andrei (Cobb in ORAS) (Water, Ice + Meganium2) - Abomasnow (all), Aurorus2, Avalugg (all), Barbaracle2, Beartic (all), Carracosta2, Cryogonal3, Cryogonal4, Dewgong1, Empoleon4, Froslass (all), Glaceon (all), Goodra4, Greninja4, Jynx3, Jynx4, Kingdra4, Mamoswine (all), Meganium2, Milotic3, Politoed4, Porygon21, Samurott2, Slowbro4, Vanilluxe (all), Vaporeon3, Wailord4, Walrein (all), Whiscash3

Chef Carlos (Caesar in ORAS) - 4th Set Water, Ice
Chef Nicoise (Angus in ORAS) - 4th Set Water, Fire, Grass

Chef Roux (Frank in ORAS) (Sun) - Arcanine1, Arcanine3, Delphox3, Exeggutor (all), Houndoom4, Leafeon (all), Lilligant (all), Meganium1, Pyroar2, Rapidash2, Shiftry (all), Tangrowth (all), Talonflame2, Typhlosion1, Typhlosion4, Victreebel (all), Vileplume (all), Volcarona1

Furisode Girl Kannon - ALL Eeveelutions
Furisode Girl Nigella - ALL Eeveelutions

Garcon Darcy - 4th Set A
Garcon Porter - 4th Set B

Hex Maniac Anastasia - Psychic, Ghost Sets 3 and 4
Hex Maniac Celia - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost
Hex Maniac Ciara - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost
Hex Maniac Lola - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost

Hex Maniac Mara (Trick Room) - Aromatisse4, Avalugg4, Bronzong1, Bronzong4, Carbink3, Cofagrigus3, Conkeldurr2, Conkeldurr4, Dusknoir2, Dusknoir4, Exeggutor4, Forretress3, Golem4, Golurk4, Gourgeist2, Marowak2, Musharna2, Quagsire2, Reuniclus2, Seismitoad2, Shiftry1, Slowbro4, Slowking1, Slowking4, Steelix4, Trevenant4, Tyranitar1

Hiker Choss - 4th Set Rock, Ground, Fighting
Hiker Rand - 4th Set Rock, Ground, Fighting

Madame Aparna (Arabella in ORAS) - 4th Set A
Madame Sati - (Inga in ORAS) 4th Set B

Maid Colette (Clara in ORAS) - 4th Set B
Maid Ghislaine (Joan in ORAS) - 4th Set A

Monsieur Kirill - 4th Set B
Monsieur Patrice - 4th Set A

Owner Cyril - 4th Set B
Owner Galton - 4th Set A

Pokemon Breeder Abbot (Merekee in ORAS) - 4th Set B
Pokemon Breeder Tad (Teppei in ORAS) - ALL Starters

Pokemon Breeder Ina (Lalaini in ORAS) - ALL Starters
Pokemon Breeder Josiane (Gudrun in ORAS) - 4th Set B

Pokemon Ranger Hunter - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground
Pokemon Ranger Parker - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground
Pokemon Ranger Tanner - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground

Pokemon Ranger Cerese - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground
Pokemon Ranger Hazel - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground
Pokemon Ranger Willow - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground

Psychic Haskell - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost
Psychic Magus - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost
Psychic Uberto - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost

Punk Guy Deimos (Quinton in ORAS) - 4th Set Fire, Dark, Poison
Punk Guy Puck (Jensen in ORAS) (Intimidate) - ALL sets of Arcanine, Granbull, Gyarados, Krookodile, Luxray, Salamence, Staraptor, Tauros

Punk Girl Europa - 4th Set Fire, Dark, Poison
Punk Girl Miranda - 4th Set Fire, Dark, Poison
(either Europa or Miranda is now Delaney in ORAS)

Roller Skater Raoul - Electric, Flying Sets 3 and 4
Roller Skater Ryker - Electric, Flying Sets 3 and 4
Roller Skater Aurora - Electric, Flying Sets 3 and 4
Roller Skater Electra - Electric, Flying Sets 3 and 4

Scientist Max - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil
Scientist Neils - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil
Scientist Sigmund - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil

Scientist Candela - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil
Scientist Jane - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil
Scientist Rosalind - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil

Tourist Aire - 4th Set A
Tourist Hartsfield - 4th Set B
Tourist Incheon - 4th Set A

Tourist Chelsea - 4th Set A
Tourist Geneva - 4th Set B
Tourist Ibiza - 4th Set B

Waitress Ilisha - 4th Set B
Waitress Remora - 4th Set A

Worker Axel - 4th Set Ground, Rock, Steel
Worker Ivan - 4th Set Ground, Rock, Steel
Worker Levin - 4th Set Ground, Rock, Steel

Worker Rasmus (Sand) - Aurorus2, Carbink2, Claydol2, Cradily3, Dugtrio (all), Excadrill (all), Ferrothorn1, Garchomp (all), Gastrodon3, Gigalith2, Gigalith3, Gliscor (all), Hippowdon (all), Shuckle4, Tyranitar (all), Tyrantrum2

NoCheese Edit: I've updated this list to also include ORAS trainer names where there has been a name change from XY. Special thanks to turskain and sb879 for their work identifying trainer name changes, since they are my sources for this update. I've also alphabetized the Pokemon names in sets A and B and in the possible Pokemon lists for non-standard trainers to streamline referencing.

Last edited:
Updated.

"A" Set Pokemon (includes new Pokemon)
Barbaracle4
, Hawlucha4, Carbink4, Pyroar4, Avalugg4, Tyrantrum4, Aurorus4, Talonflame4, Sylveon4, Chesnaught4, Delphox4, Greninja4, Gogoat4, Noivern4, Florges4, Goodra4, Trevenant4, Gourgeist4, Clawitzer4, Slurpuff4, Aromatisse4, Venusaur4, Charizard4, Blastoise4, Meganium4, Typhlosion4, Feraligatr4, Sceptile4, Blaziken4, Swampert4, Torterra4, Infernape4, Empoleon4, Serperior4, Emboar4, Samurott4, Dugtrio4, Marowak4, Medicham4, Quagsire4, Granbull4, Jynx4, Mr. Mime4, Lanturn4, Breloom4, Forretress4, Skarmory4, Absol4, Whiscash4, Hariyama4, Vespiquen4, Raichu4, Dewgong4, Manectric4, Staraptor4, Gastrodon4, Skuntank4, Sawk4, Throh4, Unfezant4, Vileplume4, Victreebel4, Electrode4, Ludicolo4, Shiftry4, Exploud4, Lopunny4, Froslass4, Lilligant4, Darmanitan4, Ambipom4, Cofagrigus4, Golurk4, Durant4, Golem4, Slowbro4, Weezing4, Kangaskhan4, Tauros4, Spiritomb4, Cryogonal4, Druddigon4, Musharna4, Scrafty4, Ferrothorn4, Alakazam4, Slowking4, Miltank4, Altaria4, Toxicroak4, Gothitelle4, Reuniclus4, Bisharp4, Abomasnow4, Nidoqueen4, Nidoking4, Cradily4, Armaldo4

"B" Set Pokemon (old Pokemon only)
Accelgor4, Aerodactyl4, Aggron4, Ampharos4, Arcanine4, Archeops4, Bastiodon4, Beartic4, Blissey4, Bouffalant4, Braviary4, Bronzong4, Carracosta4, Chandelure4, Claydol4, Conkeldurr4, Crobat4, Donphan4, Dragonite4, Drapion4, Drifblim4, Dusknoir4, Eelektross4, Electivire4, Escavalier4, Espeon4, Excadrill4, Exeggutor4, Flareon4, Floatzel4, Flygon4, Gallade4, Garchomp4, Gardevoir4, Gengar4, Gigalith4, Glaceon4, Gliscor4, Gyarados4, Haxorus4, Heracross4, Hippowdon4, Honchkrow4, Houndoom4, Hydreigon4, Jolteon4, Kingdra4, Klinklang4, Krookodile4, Lapras4, Leafeon4, Lickilicky4, Lucario4, Luxray4, Machamp4, Magmortar4, Magnezone4, Mamoswine4, Mandibuzz4, Metagross4, Mienshao4, Milotic4, Mismagius4, Muk4, Ninetales4, Pinsir4, Politoed4, Poliwrath4, Porygon24, Porygon-z4, Probopass4, Rampardos4, Rapidash4, Rhyperior4, Roserade4, Salamence4, Scizor4, Seismitoad4, Shuckle4, Slaking4, Snorlax4, Starmie4, Steelix4, Tangrowth4, Tentacruel4, Togekiss4, Tyranitar4, Umbreon4, Ursaring4,Vanilluxe4, Vaporeon4, Volcarona4, Wailord4, Walrein4, Weavile4, Yanmega4, Zebstrika4, Zoroark4

LEGENDARY SETS 1 AND 2 ONLY

Veteran Dorian
Veteran Howell
Veteran Jake
Veteran Stanislaw
Veteran Catherine
Veteran Hera
Veteran Sibyl
Veteran Zenobia

LEGENDARY SETS 3 AND 4 ONLY

Veteran Alfie
Veteran Eleanor

ALL LEGENDARY SETS

Veteran Isabella
Veteran Saba

--

Ace Trainer Claus - 4th Set B + Latios 1, 2
Ace Trainer Colin - 4th Set Mixed + Latios 1, 2
Ace Trainer Jai - 4th Set High SpA + ALL Latios
Ace Trainer Sigurd - 4th Set A + Latios 1, 2

Ace Trainer Bunny - 4th Set bulky SpD + ALL Latias
Ace Trainer Gwen - 4th Set B + Latias 1, 2
Ace Trainer Nikita - 4th Set Mixed + Latias 1, 2
Ace Trainer Victoria - 4th Set A + Latias 1, 2

Artist Redd - 4th Set A
Artist Wenge - 4th Set B

Artist Azure - 4th Set Ground, Rock, Steel + Regirock 1, 2
Artist Rose - 4th Set B

Backpacker Perdido - 4th Set A
Backpacker Rolf - 4th Set B

Battle Girl Kata - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock
Battle Girl Mae - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock

Beauty Claire (Rain) - Greninja2, Goodra3, Aromatisse3, Aurorus4, Noivern4, Goodra4, Gastrodon1, Ludicolo1, Floatzel1, Seismitoad1, Bronzong1, Lapras1, Kingdra1, Ludicolo2, Floatzel2, Zebstrika2, Seismitoad2, Politoed2, Bronzong2, Jolteon2, Kingdra2, Ludicolo3, Weezing3, Floatzel3, Carracosta3, Seismitoad3, Jolteon3, Kingdra3, Dewgong4, Manectric4, Electrode4, Ludicolo4, Floatzel4, Seismitoad4, Ampharos4, Kingdra4

Beauty Lucetta - 4th Set Normal, Dark, Fairy
Beauty Lucille - 4th Set Normal, Dark, Fairy
Beauty Orla - 4th Set Water, Ice

Black Belt Tyrell - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock
Black Belt Sebastian - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock
Black Belt Wystan - 4th Set Fire, Fighting, Rock

Butler Deacon - 4th Set A
Butler Noah - 4th Set B

Chef Andrei (Water, Ice + Meganium2) - Avalugg1, Barbaracle2, Avalugg2, Aurorus2, Avalugg3, Avalugg4, Greninja4, Goodra4, Dewgong1, Froslass1, Abomasnow1, Porygon21, Glaceon1, Beartic1, Walrein1, Mamoswine1, Vanilluxe1, Meganium2, Samurott2, Froslass2, Abomasnow2, Carracosta2, Glaceon2, Beartic2, Walrein2, Mamoswine2, Vanilluxe2, Jynx3, Whiscash3, Froslass3, Cryogonal3, Abomasnow3, Vaporeon3, Glaceon3, Beartic3, Walrein3, Mamoswine3, Vanilluxe3, Milotic3, Empoleon4, Jynx4, Froslass4, Slowbro4, Cryogonal4, Abomasnow4, Politoed4, Wailord4, Glaceon4, Beartic4, Walrein4, Mamoswine4, Vanilluxe4, Kingdra4

Chef Carlos - 4th Set Water, Ice
Chef Nicoise - 4th Set Water, Fire, Grass

Chef Roux (Sun) - Pyroar2, Talonflame2, Delphox3, Meganium1, Typhlosion1, Vileplume1, Victreebel1, Shiftry1, Lilligant1, Exeggutor1, Leafeon1, Tangrowth1, Volcarona1, Arcanine1, Vileplume2, Victreebel2, Shiftry2, Lilligant2, Rapidash2, Exeggutor2, Leafeon2, Tangrowth2, Vileplume3, Victreebel3, Shiftry3, Lilligant3, Exeggutor3, Leafeon3, Tangrowth3, Arcanine3, Typhlosion4, Vileplume4, Victreebel4, Shiftry4, Lilligant4, Houndoom4, Exeggutor4, Leafeon4, Tangrowth4

Furisode Girl Kannon - ALL Eeveelutions
Furisode Girl Nigella - ALL Eeveelutions

Garcon Darcy - 4th Set A
Garcon Porter - 4th Set B

Hex Maniac Anastasia - Psychic, Ghost Sets 3 and 4
Hex Maniac Celia - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost
Hex Maniac Ciara - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost
Hex Maniac Lola - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost

Hex Maniac Mara (Trick Room) - Gourgeist2, Carbink3, Avalugg4, Trevenant4, Aromatisse4, Shiftry1, Slowking1, Bronzong1, Tyranitar1, Marowak2, Quagsire2, Musharna2, Reuniclus2, Seismitoad2, Conkeldurr2, Dusknoir2, Forretress3, Cofagrigus3, Golurk4, Golem4, Slowbro4, Slowking4, Bronzong4, Conkeldurr4, Steelix4, Exeggutor4, Dusknoir4

Hiker Choss - 4th Set Rock, Ground, Fighting
Hiker Rand - 4th Set Rock, Ground, Fighting

Madame Aparna - 4th Set A
Madame Sati - 4th Set B

Maid Colette - 4th Set B
Maid Ghislaine - 4th Set A

Monsieur Kirill - 4th Set B
Monsieur Patrice - 4th Set A

Owner Cyril - 4th Set B
Owner Galton - 4th Set A

Pokemon Breeder Abbot - 4th Set B
Pokemon Breeder Tad - ALL Starters

Pokemon Breeder Ina - ALL Starters
Pokemon Breeder Josiane - 4th Set B

Pokemon Ranger Hunter - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground
Pokemon Ranger Parker - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground
Pokemon Ranger Tanner - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground

Pokemon Ranger Cerese - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground
Pokemon Ranger Hazel - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground
Pokemon Ranger Willow - 4th Set Water, Grass, Ground

Psychic Haskell - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost
Psychic Magus - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost
Psychic Uberto - 4th Set Psychic, Ghost

Punk Guy Deimos - 4th Set Fire, Dark, Poison
Punk Guy Puck (Intimidate) - ALL sets of Granbull, Staraptor, Tauros, Luxray, Krookodile, Gyarados, Arcanine, Salamence

Punk Girl Europa - 4th Set Fire, Dark, Poison
Punk Girl Miranda - 4th Set Fire, Dark, Poison

Roller Skater Raoul - Electric, Flying Sets 3 and 4
Roller Skater Ryker - Electric, Flying Sets 3 and 4
Roller Skater Aurora - Electric, Flying Sets 3 and 4
Roller Skater Electra - Electric, Flying Sets 3 and 4

Scientist Max - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil
Scientist Neils - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil
Scientist Sigmund - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil

Scientist Candela - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil
Scientist Jane - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil
Scientist Rosalind - 4th Set Electric, Poison, Fossil

Tourist Aire - 4th Set A
Tourist Hartsfield - 4th Set B
Tourist Incheon - 4th Set A

Tourist Chelsea - 4th Set A
Tourist Geneva - 4th Set B
Tourist Ibiza - 4th Set B

Waitress Ilisha - 4th Set B
Waitress Remora - 4th Set A

Worker Axel - 4th Set Ground, Rock, Steel
Worker Ivan - 4th Set Ground, Rock, Steel
Worker Levin - 4th Set Ground, Rock, Steel

Worker Rasmus (Sand) - Carbink2, Tyrantrum2, Aurorus2, Dugtrio1, Ferrothorn1, Excadrill1, Gliscor1, Hippowdon1, Tyranitar1, Garchomp1, Dugtrio2, Claydol2, Gigalith2, Excadrill2, Gliscor2, Hippowdon2, Tyranitar2, Garchomp2, Dugtrio3, Gastrodon3, Cradily3, Gigalith3, Excadrill3, Gliscor3, Hippowdon3, Tyranitar3, Garchomp3, Dugtrio4, Shuckle4, Excadrill4, Gliscor4, Hippowdon4, Tyranitar4, Garchomp4
Isn't all of this covered in the Battle Maison Trainers data (100% accurate) link, provided by Kaphotics and TRE?
For example,

In your post:

In the file uploaded by TRE:
Rei - Barbaracle4, Hawlucha4, Carbink4, Pyroar4, Tyrantrum4, Aurorus4, Talonflame4, Chesnaught4, Delphox4, Charizard4, Typhlosion4, Blaziken4, Infernape4, Emboar4, Medicham4, Breloom4, Hariyama4, Sawk4, Throh4, Darmanitan4, Golem4, Scrafty4, Toxicroak4, Cradily4, Armaldo4, Rampardos4, Bastiodon4, Carracosta4, Poliwrath4, Rapidash4, Heracross4, Houndoom4, Ninetales4, Machamp4, Shuckle4, Gigalith4, Conkeldurr4, Aerodactyl4, Gallade4, Chandelure4, Flareon4, Lucario4, Probopass4, Mienshao4, Aggron4, Rhyperior4, Magmortar4, Volcarona4, Arcanine4, Archeops4, Tyranitar4

NoCheese

Isn't all of this covered in the Battle Maison Trainers data (100% accurate) link, provided by Kaphotics and TRE?
Oh, I completely agree that the recently added full trainers list provides perfect information, and indeed, it's the source of all the information I use. I'm very grateful for the work by Kaphotics and TRE in putting it together! The purpose of my updates to R Inanimate's earlier short-form trainer list (available HERE) is to provide something that is easier and faster to reference when I'm not sitting in front of a computer screen where I can easily search a big text file. Printed, this short-form is only 4 pages, it leads with the most frequently referenced info (namely, which sets does Veteran X have access to), and is ordered alphabetically by trainer type, so it's easy to flip through either in a printout or on a cellphone screen.

Unlike the master list, but like R Inanimate's earlier guide, I cut all the pre-battle 30 Trainers, since in longer streaks, you'll never see them again and they just clutter up your searches. Since most of the time, you just want to confirm whether you are facing the regular Set 4 pokes or if there is something else to worry about, I don't list the exact individual Pokemon used by every trainer, since that greatly slows manual searching. Furthermore, since most trainers just use either 4th Set A or 4th Set B Pokemon, in most situations where one needs an exact list, it's easy to pull it from the front page where all A and B pokes are listed. Where, however, a trainer uses an unusual mix of Pokemon, I still list them all. I've found this short-form quick-reference useful in my own recent Maison play, so figured other people might as well, but I readily admit there's no "new research" component to it.

I also have a little spreadsheet of Set 4 for all Pokemon plus all 4 sets for each legendary, alphabatized by Pokemon name. This covers the Pokemon you'll face the vast majority of the time in your post-30 battles, is easy to flip through as a printout or on a phone screen, and keeps sets from the same legendary next to each other, making cross-comparison easier than with the master pokemon list. If anyone would like me to share that as well, I would be happy to, as it certainly has proven useful when building my own streaks, but once again, none of the research is my own. I just streamlined and organized things to make them easier to use when not at my desk in front of a computer.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)