1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Data Battle Mechanics Research

Discussion in 'Competitive Discussion' started by ΩDonut, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Caramelqueen

Caramelqueen

Sadly the main person I can check this all with doesn't get online all too often so it will at the very least take until tonight for me to check it if not a few days.
    myusernamehere likes this.
  2. klvkboom

klvkboom

Apologies if this was mentioned before. I'm sure this mechanic existed in previous generations but I can't seem to find it.

In multibattles, how does the ability Rivalry work when you use a multitarget attack. Some examples are Haxorus using EQ or Pyroar using Hyper Voice, both have access to Rivalry. How would the damage boost work if it's targetting Pokes of different genders?
  3. Caramelqueen

Caramelqueen

Ok so I tested it with some pokemon we currently have on hand. My lvl 20 rampardos pursuit vs lvl 30 chansey. (Sorry about the horrible levels and damage amounts)

With yvetal out or in, it did around 28-29 damage average, but was capable of 30 damage if yvetal was present.

With zygarde and yvetal out, it did around 26 damage average it seemed, and got as low as 25.

Interesting thing we also discovered is it appears that aura break remains in effect for the turn even if zygarde is switched out.

We had one of our 25 damage times occur when zygarde was switched out that turn into yvetal.

Can anyone help confirm this as a trait of aura break?
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  4. laspanditas

laspanditas

With regards to Rototiller working like Swords Dance and being a field effect, does anyone know if the effects of Rototiller only apply when the user of the move is on the field? For example, if Excadrill and Venusaur are on the field and Excadrill used Rototiller on Turn 1, then switched out on Turn 2. Is Venusaur still at +1 Attack and +1 Special Attack on Turns 2 and 3?
  5. Slayer95

Slayer95 Just some PS coder
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderator

Since Mold Breaker is supposed to nullify the effect of the defender's ability, I think it should be tested by making the Mold Breaker user attack Yveltal/Zygarde rather than Chansey, and compare the damage with a situation where the same attacker (or the defender) has lost the ability (via Entrainment, Skill Swap or whatever).

The issue you note about Aura Break duration seems interesting though :o
  6. Caramelqueen

Caramelqueen

Oh that's true, but that's going to take some serious level grinding of my mold breaker so it can do enough damage to zygarde and yvetal to actually be more measurable then. Guess I better get started.
  7. Toxic Atom

Toxic Atom

Regarding Power Trick, Mega-Evo, and Switching:

First, does Power Trick remain in effect upon switch? I generally play cartridge over simulated, and a circumstance involving Gliscor leads me to believe that Power Trick does in fact remain in effect. Furthermore, if Power Trick is Baton Passed to a mon that's not mega, and then goes mega on the turn of entering, when the stats update upon changing, is Power Trick negated? I tend to run a Mega Aggron that gets passed into Power Trick, however attacks don't seem to do what 230 base should be capable of.

I'm sorry if my post is utter trash, I'm fairly new to the smogon forum. I've been here many times before, but this is my first post.
  8. Caramelqueen

Caramelqueen

Power trick didn't stay in effect last generation upon switch out, but it's possible it was changed of course.

As for mega-evolutions, that's an interesting question. I could see it going both ways depending on how the stats are recalculated.

You can try to do some damage calcs instead and see what it should be doing at base 230 vs what it is doing.
  9. Toxic Atom

Toxic Atom

I haven't done any tests on switch changes since my last post. I'm sorry.

As for Mega-Evo, it apparently loses it's effect upon changing. Tested on 252atk/252def Aggron Heavy Slam [Baton Passed into Power Trick] v. 252hp/252def/reflect Sylveon

252 Atk Mega Aggron Power Trick Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sylveon through Reflect: 163-193 (80.6 - 95.5%) is what should have happened. "

I was skeptical when it actually only did 127 damage

However, the following calculation seemed to make more sense:

252 Atk Mega Aggron Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sylveon through Reflect: 111-132 (54.9 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

indeed, the stat update of mega evolution nullifies the effect of a baton passed Power Trick.
  10. Caramelqueen

Caramelqueen

That's interesting.

I wonder if it also negates the effects of power split/guard spilt on the pokemon then.

Edit. Holy shit, slyveon is surprising. Able to take a stab base 120 neutral hit (super effective pretty much cancels out reflect) from a 230 basepower mon, blows my mind for something with 95/65 physical bulk.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  11. CPU

CPU

How does Topsy-Turvy interact with White Herb?

Given the interactions with Defiant and Contrary, I assume that it wouldn't trigger White Herb (besides the fact that White Herb only reverses stats back to 0; it doesn't activate for Draco Meteor if Latios uses it after using Calm Mind twice, for example.

I'd say this is worth testing, though.
  12. Psywaves

Psywaves

I tested this in-game using an Inkay and a Toxicroak, and Toxicroak's White Herb activated upon its Bulk Up boosts being reversed by Topsy-Turvy.
  13. CPU

CPU

That's really interesting. Did it bring them back to the boosted levels, or did it essentially just reset Toxicroak's stats (as if it had no boosts)?
  14. BlakDragon

BlakDragon

If a Pokemon Tricks its item away but doesn't receive one in return,
    its Symbiosis partner will not share its item with the Trick user.

AJGW-WWWW-WWW6-GJUT
    Slayer95 likes this.
  15. bobbyvaporeon

bobbyvaporeon

If a Pokemon with Parental Bond is put to sleep after the first hit, does the second hit happen?
    Could happen from Effect Spore.
  16. Thorhammer

Thorhammer

Regarding Mold Breaker - we know its stated purpose is stopping the defending Pokemon's abilities from negatively influencing the user's attacks, but does it stop them from positively influencing the attacks as well? For example, does it undo the damage bonus from Dry Skin? This seems like it could be most along the lines of the Aura abilities.
  17. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife

Bulbapedia has listed the move Scald as being able to thaw Scald's target in XY. I have looked in several different places and have only found a few reports on GameFAQs messages boards which confirm Bulbapedia's claims. Since I do not have a 3DS I do not have a way to test this myself but I feel this is something worth looking into.
  18. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

Recently had someone come onto #Mentor with this question and a search of this topic brought no answer.

If a Pokemon uses Imprison on a Pokemon, and then uses Transform on the same Pokemon, are all the Imprisoned Pokemon's moves blocked? Seems to me this depends on Imprison's mechanics; are the moves that are blocked set when the move is first used, or is it reset for every turn? This should be easy enough to test with a Smeargle if anyone has the time.
  19. Slayer95

Slayer95 Just some PS coder
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderator

Yes, any moveset changes in the Imprisoning pokemon (including the effect of Baton Pass) or the imprisoned foes will be accounted for.
  20. BlakDragon

BlakDragon

Probably obvious, but a Pokemon with Infiltrator cannot bypass Misty Terrain to inflict status.

I like MT more now.
  21. TinyNinja

TinyNinja

Does Knock off still deal the extra damage if the opponent's item cannot be removed, ex mega stone or arceus plate
  22. The Immortal

The Immortal Administrator of Showdown!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor

No.
  23. Kappaten

Kappaten

No, but it does, however, receive the boost vs. Pokemon with Sticky Hold.
  24. Toxic Atom

Toxic Atom

Recently it's come to my attention that Roost may no longer remove the flying-type on the turn used. Tested on Lugia v. Glaceon. on the same turn Roost was used, glaceon used Ice Beam and it still delivered the "Super Effective" message.

More research needs to be done to understand if this is a graphical glitch, or really did SE damage.
  25. TheReflexWonder

TheReflexWonder

Does Bide take the damage of a Substitute blocking the Pokémon in question? Also, does Poison/Burn damage get factored into the equation?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)