Battle Mechanics Research

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Found two more bugs. Tested these on the Blissey triple battle bases.

- Unnerve activates before any other ability. This means it cannot be used as a means of speed measurement.
- Sticky Hold does not activate on a Pokemon that faints. This is because the item is stolen after the Pokemon is taken off the field. This means moves like Thief, Knock Off, and Covet, as well as abilities like Pickpocket and Magician will activate if the Sticky Hold Pokemon faints.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Hallo! I'm not exactly sure how this works, but if you knock off a red card, the pokemon that was doing the knocking off does not switch. I am not sure how it is supposed to work, just reporting what happens.

So lets say a mega diancie fights a mega sableye both have magic bounce and someone uses a status move on the other. Does the one using status have its magic bounce canceled or does noone get statused.?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So lets say a mega diancie fights a mega sableye both have magic bounce and someone uses a status move on the other. Does the one using status have its magic bounce canceled or does noone get statused.?
Only one Magic Bounce activates, thus hitting the original Mon trying to inflict a status.

Earlier a sash gengar switched into rocks, but was healed by leech seed the same turn. It kept its sash in tact when I assumed rocks broke it. Idk if its a bug or not so posting here

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
To my knowledge, the Sash triggers when the Pokemon is at full HP and does not care at all about any external modifiers (except item cancelling ones), this being recovery by virtue of Leftovers, Recover and variants, and Healing Wish / Lunar Dance. Focus Sash is considered intact by the game until it is forcibly "broken", and as such, a Pokemon with full HP will use it up regardless if it's taken damage before or not.

In this case, Leech Seed brought Gengar back to full HP, and as long as that requisite is met, Focus Sash will activate on a would-be OHKO.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah a Focus Sash doesn't actually "break" when a Pokemon takes damage, a Focus Sash works like a one-time Sturdy. Since the Gengar was at full health with the Focus Sash unused, it was then able to use it.

"Breaking" a Focus Sash is a figure of speech

Is there a way to tell that assault vest is working other than paying attention to damage calculation.the same the status moves. I noticed that stockpile has a numbering system for how many have been used, so why doesnt calm mind, dragon dance, etc.do the same so you don't waste a turn?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Is there a way to tell that assault vest is working other than paying attention to damage calculation.the same the status moves. I noticed that stockpile has a numbering system for how many have been used, so why doesnt calm mind, dragon dance, etc.do the same so you don't waste a turn?
If assault vest is attached to a Pokemon that does not have klutz and there is no field condition that would cause hold items to not have an effect, then it is working. You can verify it by using the damage calculator if you want, but there's no indicator that you or your opponent is holding an assault vest other than that (or something like frisk) much like there's no direct indicator of choice items other than calculations or turn order. I'm not sure what you mean by "the same the status moves", if you mean to ask if you can tell that status drops are in effect (aka 1/4x speed for paralyzed mons) there is no direct indicator that the drop is in effect other than the fact that the status is shown (besides confusion) and I'm fairly sure that nothing prevents the stat drops even if other effects like damage from burn are ignored.

As for the stockpile turn numbering, it is the exception and may be so due to possible confusions that may arise from repeated uses of swallow/spit up (which reset the count and boosts to 0) and also from the fact that you cannot stockpile more than 3 which is an independent number from the stat boosts. If a shadow ball lowers your boosted special defense when you've stockpiled 3 times, you cannot stockpile again to regain the special defense boost. The short answer is that that is just the way the game is programmed. The simulator has several conveniences that the cart does not, such as displaying what multiplier you currently have on your stats and the HP % mod. On cart it's just you have to pay attention and if you waste a turn then it's your own fault for not paying enough, just like if you sleep talk on the turn you wake up from rest it was your own lack of attention.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Bulbapedia seems to think Gen VI Payback has been reverted to its Gen IV mechanics (the opponent switching counts as them going first) after it had been nerfed in Gen V. Is this true?

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
From earlier in the thread, so if it's changed it'd be an ORAS change. Granted it wasn't backed up by another user but I'm inclined to believe it.

I did a quick test on this, and I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but...

Payback is still only 50 Power against a switching target, not getting any boost in power.
I'll go try and test it on cart if you want though.

Future note to pretty much everyone, I really do suggest trying to search this thread for what you're asking, most of the time it's there and you'll get your answer quickly.

If metronome item is used and a protect is thrown at you or anything that makes you sleep or miss your move, does it pause the metronome item effect or does it cancel the effect? I know if you switch moves it cancels. I'm just curious.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
There is no pause. Afaik the effect resets itself - as long as the move isn't interrupted, the effect applies with each consecutive usage. If using a move like Feint, it just bypasses the Protect (as it is not interrupted) and stacks the effect.

Apparently this is not here yet (I'm not Sure tho)

When you hit a Pokémom holding Eject Button with either Volt Switch or U-Turn, the Pokémom holding Eject Button switches out, but the Volt Switch/U-Turn user doesn't

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Where is the mechanics research for old gens? I just discovered something about gen 4, and I wanna check to see if it is listed in the dpp research thread.

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
Hi,

I don't know if I am posting at the right place, but I was really wondering about the speed mechanic surrounding moves like Electro Ball.

Let's say I have a MegaManectric and he mega-evolves on the first turn and also uses Electro Ball. Will the game use his initial speed to calculate damage or his new speed from mega-evolving? I know for a fact that the pokémon move order won't change, but I was wondering if offensive moves power could change during a turn.

Also, let's say I have a Mandibuzz with weak armor and a Cloyster attack him with a rock blast. Will the move become stronger everytime the rock blast hit or will it keep the damage from the initial rock blast?

I guess my question is: Does the game check the stats every time an attack is used or only at the start of the turn?

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
Hi,

I don't know if I am posting at the right place, but I was really wondering about the speed mechanic surrounding moves like Electro Ball.

Let's say I have a MegaManectric and he mega-evolves on the first turn and also uses Electro Ball. Will the game use his initial speed to calculate damage or his new speed from mega-evolving? I know for a fact that the pokémon move order won't change, but I was wondering if offensive moves power could change during a turn.

Also, let's say I have a Mandibuzz with weak armor and a Cloyster attack him with a rock blast. Will the move become stronger everytime the rock blast hit or will it keep the damage from the initial rock blast?

I guess my question is: Does the game check the stats every time an attack is used or only at the start of the turn?
So there's a difference between speed stat and turn order, which I think is where the confusion might be coming from. Turn order is decided before the first action is executed, while attacks have their damage calculated on use. Electro Ball will be calculated with the new speed stat to determine base power.

As for weak armor's interactions with electro ball, it should although I haven't tested it in game, I'll do so in a little bit. The reason is that each hit will activate weak armor, and every single hit is calculated individually, hence why you can have different damage on two hits. In addition Parental Bond at least will apply the attack up from Power Up Punch, so there's some precedent. I'll test it, but it probably should be applied on every hit.

So there's a difference between speed stat and turn order, which I think is where the confusion might be coming from. Turn order is decided before the first action is executed, while attacks have their damage calculated on use. Electro Ball will be calculated with the new speed stat to determine base power.

As for weak armor's interactions with electro ball, it should although I haven't tested it in game, I'll do so in a little bit. The reason is that each hit will activate weak armor, and every single hit is calculated individually, hence why you can have different damage on two hits. In addition Parental Bond at least will apply the attack up from Power Up Punch, so there's some precedent. I'll test it, but it probably should be applied on every hit.
Thanks for the answer!

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Another stupid question about protecting consecutively.

Is the chance of a triple protect 1/3 * 1/3?
Or is it 1/9 * 1/3?

lost heros

Meme Master
Random question: I know perish song will kill the faster Pokemon first, but how do other status moves work? For example if two shedinja's are burned will the faster one die first, and who will win the battle?

The faster shedinja dies first and the slower one wins. In the case of a tie the shedinja that loses the tie would win. Burn always affects faster mons first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)