Online Competition Battle of Alola [POST YOUR RESULTS!]

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Incineroar has good type for a switch-in against nebby duo (lol), I don't know incineroar stats yet tho, and solgaleo should learn eq.. I have just understand if eq will be used a lot.

It's a fun fact as mimkyu has 2 weakness and both of them have the same types of the 2 legendaries signature moves that hit over disguise.
Something to note is that the reason I had success with Incineroar in battle spot special was because of Trick Room, so I'm not sure if I'd use that without Magearna, who sadly uses up your Special Pokemon slot.

Uhm, not good then.

Btw, I started to think about my team and now I'm at:

Solgaleo, primarina/tapu fini and kangaskhan.
Obviously I've trouble with sets, I was thinking something like:

Solgaleo
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Fullmetal Body
Evs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Sunsteel Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge / Crunch /Earthquake

Kangaskhan
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Scrappy
- Fake Out
- Double Edge
- Sucker Punch / Crunch
- Earthquake / Facade / Brick Break / Shadow Claw

No ideas for Primarina/tapu fini, I think about a water/fairy 'cause it have to hit hard Dark, Fire and Ground types.
Kangaskhan, like someone said before, looks good to hit mons like Mimikyu and Lunala with Fake Out (scrappy obv) and then go with the right move, I have to think well about which move I wanna in the set.

Any tips? Lol About moves and a set for Primarina/Fini and who is best if I'm not asking much.

Then I think I can complete the team with a Mimikyu (pheromones) a sr user (garchomp can't be use it, am I right?) and something that handle tapu (or is solgaleo enough?) or something for celesteela (if Solgaleo is gone) and I can start to breed.

Uff, I suppose it won't be easy make Solgaleo flawless.

I feel like a lot of people seem to be forgetting about Ash-Greninja. They can barely take a hit, but if they get a lucky hit or land the finishing blow on their opponent they can flip the outcome of the match around with ease.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Uhm, not good then.

Btw, I started to think about my team and now I'm at:

Solgaleo, primarina/tapu fini and kangaskhan.
Obviously I've trouble with sets, I was thinking something like:

Solgaleo
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Fullmetal Body
- Sunsteel Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge / Crunch /Earthquake

Kangaskhan
Nature: Adamant
- Fake Out
- Double Edge
- Sucker Punch / Crunch
- Earthquake / Facade / Brick Break / Shadow Claw

No ideas for Primarina/tapu fini, I think about a water/fairy 'cause it have to hit hard Dark, Fire and Ground types.
Kangaskhan, like someone said before, looks good to hit mons like Mimikyu and Lunala with Fake Out (scrappy obv) and then go with the right move, I have to think well about which move I wanna in the set.

Any tips? Lol About moves and a set for Primarina/Fini and who is best if I'm not asking much.

Then I think I can complete the team with a Mimikyu (pheromones) a sr user (garchomp can't be use it, am I right?) and something that handle tapu (or is solgaleo enough?) or something for celesteela (if Solgaleo is gone) and I can start to breed.

Uff, I suppose it won't be easy make Solgaleo flawless.
Since this format is 3v3, I'm not sure if stealth rock is really worth it. Kangaskhan isn't that good without mega stones, tbh, but I'm still pretty unsure of the new meta, so idk.

Your team does look especially weak to celesteela, what with all the fairy types you're building with. Magnezone with magnet pull might be able to help with trapping and KO'ing it, but switching in might be tricky since celesteela has fire coverage. Maybe some others here can list some good celesteela counters.

"players are allowed to include one special Pokémon in their Battle Team."

You missed this part. 'Special pokemon' should include Zygarde if its like the S1 Special format. Lunala and Solgaleo's dex numbers also aren't included in that list but they're the mascots of the competition basically.
right
i read that but i didnt put it together for some reason

I feel like a lot of people seem to be forgetting about Ash-Greninja. They can barely take a hit, but if they get a lucky hit or land the finishing blow on their opponent they can flip the outcome of the match around with ease.
Can confirm. I'm running Ash-Greninja and I've been harvesting pretty good results from picking up a weakened Lunala to straigh up outpacing and OHKO'ing Tapu-Koko with Hydro Pump once Battle-Bond activates, which feels just great. However, it's not something you'll bring with you 100% of the times.

Also, Rocks are definitely still viable specially because of Shadow Shield. If you think your opponent is bringing Lunala, I advice you to take a wild guess and bring something that can deal some chip damage to it just for the sake of breaking through its ability. As you can see here, I wouldn't have won without it. And yes, Mimikyu is absolutely fantastic.

Since this format is 3v3, I'm not sure if stealth rock is really worth it. Kangaskhan isn't that good without mega stones, tbh, but I'm still pretty unsure of the new meta, so idk.

Your team does look especially weak to celesteela, what with all the fairy types you're building with. Magnezone with magnet pull might be able to help with trapping and KO'ing it, but switching in might be tricky since celesteela has fire coverage. Maybe some others here can list some good celesteela counters.

Sr are useful against Lunala as Corrin said.

Solgaleo has Flare Blitz.
Not sure about Magnezone, in the early meta maybe it could be good for Celesteela, but now the ultrabeast used to bring flame charge, flamethrower and sometimes Earthquake.
Magnezone sure can be an option since his steel type (for Tapus).
I'll try the team then.

I put together a team of generic good Pokemon and it's doing fine on Showdown, but I'm not satisfied with it as I haven't played anyone particularly good. I used Zygarde/A-Muk/A-Greninja/Buzzwole/Celesteela/Tapu Koko. A-Muk is supposed to be the counter for the very common Lunala, and it seems okay, moveset is iffy. I don't really have a solid answer for opposing Zygarde, A-Greninja, and weird stuff like Magearna and have no idea what to use because I haven't seen any other great teams. I can't really take special hits either, and a lot of physical threats I just stall out with Celesteela Leech Seed and Sub until the opponent gets bored and leaves.

Ok, i tested this:

Solgaleo
Ability: Full Metal Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Sunsteel Strike
- Zen Headbutt
- Crunch

Kangaskhan
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Crunch
- Shadow Claw

Tapu Fini
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball / Ice Beam
- Haze

Mimikyu
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Magnezone
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Golem-Alola
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Thunder Punch
- Volt Switch

I don't like it lol.
Three weakness to ground, even if the only one that can spam Ground is Zygarde and in his perfect form he does 2hko Tapu Fini at +2, but I suppose that was a weird set. Dunno I have to study new damage calculations yet. Lol

I'm in a sort of a crisis state lol, I have to build the team yet, and then I have to make it in-game. But I have not ditto 6ivs (I put ledyba 4/5 days ago on gts), and I suppose it won't be easy bring Solgaleo at lv100 and give him 3 or 4 silver bottle caps.

I need a little help, I want to play with Lunala and Weavile , but I am not sure what other
I'm also quite interested in what matches good with Lunala. I have little time until next week but already resetted my Lunala for good stats during the story so maybe I can build something semi viable around it in the remaining time. Ideas welcome!

Full Sp.Def Mandibuzz sounds pretty humorous against Lunala too.

252 SpA Lunala Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 86-102 (39.6 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lunala (IV: 0 Atk): 208-252 (98.1 - 118.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

If Lunala takes damage from Rocks, it's dead and can't do anything about it. Can't even PP stall out since Foul Play has more PP than Roost.

Even without Rocks, Foul Play will still 2HKO Lunala from full.

///

Also handles Solgaleo fairly well.

0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Solgaleo (Adamant): 176-210 (83 - 99%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Solgaleo Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mandibuzz: 93-111 (42.8 - 51.1%) -- 4.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Solgaleo Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mandibuzz: 112-134 (51.6 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0- Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Solgaleo (Jolly): 162-192 (76.4 - 90.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Solgaleo Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mandibuzz: 85-102 (39.1 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Solgaleo Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mandibuzz: 102-122 (47 - 56.2%) -- 78.1% chance to 2HKO

///

It even has a good chance of tanking max SpA Magearna's Fleur Cannon, let alone tanking them after Magearna's worn itself down.

252+ SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 186-218 (85.7 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

yeah, mandibuzz over kangaskhan and Scizor over magnezone look like good change for my team.

Thanks guys.

Uhm, even if Solgaelo, Tapu Fini, Mandibuzz, Scizor, Mimikyu, Golem-A Seems weak to Tapu Koko. Plus i have still to think if Lycanroc can be better than Golem-A

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've been seeing some Battle of Alola teams on the Special ladder, and while I'm using a team that wouldn't be legal for Battle of Alola... I gotta agree here that Ninetales-A is probably going to be a very prominent Pokemon. Auroa Veil makes Lunala much easier to check (especially with stuff like Muk-A, and it makes sweepers (including your own Lunala, despite it hating Hail) much easier to set up. I figured Ninetales would hate the lack of Focus Sash, but nope: the lack of items just makes it very difficult to KO without a strong, super effective STAB!

I'm going to have to seriously consider Scizor now... Or I might just use Ninetales-A + Solgaleo, since with Aurora Veil up, a lot of Solgaleo's checks lose the ability to KO it!

Tried a few teams on Showdown and Lunala is definitely hard to deal with.
Used Weavile at first, but kept getting OHKO by Lunala's moonblast.
Kangaskhan worked much better, since it can switch in on a Moongeist Beam, use scrappy fake out, then kill it with crunch taking only one hit, or use sucker punch twice, still taking one hit.
Mandibuzz with TerminusEdge's setup is also good, but it seems like a downgrade from Kangaskhan since it requires someone else to break Shadow Shield or for you to use Foul Play twice and end up with a sliver of hp left.

Any other good counters to Lunala?

Last edited:
Lycanroc midday seems a good pokemon to start many battles.
He sets sr or if your opponent go for Ninetales-A for doing dirty things with aurora veil, just use stone edge.

A jolly set with Sr, stone edge, rock priority and crunch should be good.

Lycanroc midday seems a good pokemon to start many battles.
He sets sr or if your opponent go for Ninetales-A for doing dirty things with aurora veil, just use stone edge.

A jolly set with Sr, stone edge, rock priority and crunch should be good.
I tried it and it's honestly not that good. Other than being one of the fastest Stealth Rocks setters right now it can't do much outside of that and it's usually deadweight after turn 1, if it even manages to survive, that is. Zygarde for example can pretty much switch in and set-up on it for free, and trust me: you do not want a Power Construct Zygarde setting up on you.

Last edited:
I tried it and it's honestly not that good. Other than being one of the fastest Stealth Rocks setters right now it can't do much outside of that and it's usually deadweight after turn 1, if it even manages to survive, that is. Zygarde for example can pretty much switch in and set-up on it for free, and trust me: you do not want a Power Construct Zygarde setting up on you.
I battled against a perfect zygarde and tapu fini takes it well (2hko after 2 dragon dance if adamant), plus I can count on mandibuzz.

Even cause I don't know what else I can play cause every time I said I wanna play a specific core or Pokemon, somebody come saying that it's shit, and I'm starting to finish ideas. Lol

And there are not many good mons that can use Sr. Lycanroc, Golem, carbink and I don't know if skarmory can get sr in any way right now.

I battled against a perfect zygarde and tapu fini takes it well (2hko after 2 dragon dance if adamant), plus I can count on mandibuzz.

Even cause I don't know what else I can play cause every time I said I wanna play a specific core or Pokemon, somebody come saying that it's shit, and I'm starting to finish ideas. Lol

And there are not many good mons that can use Sr. Lycanroc, Golem, carbink and I don't know if skarmory can get sr in any way right now.
The thing with speedy leads is that you can usually slap on Focus Sash on them and expect them to do work for atleast 2 turns. Midday Lycanroc can't do that here so you usually set up SRs and then your Lycanroc is dead while your opponent is most likely still with 3 pokemon on them. Tapu-Koko for example, which is awfully popular as a lead, has a chance at OHKO'ing Lycanroc before it even gets the chance to move.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lycanroc-Midday: 133-157 (88.6 - 104.6%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

From what I've experienced Gigalith has been far more consistent. No where near as fast, but it has just enough bulk take a couple of hits so it can set up rocks and attempt to retaliate in the following turn 100% of the times. Heck, Tapu-Koko is straight-up forced out because it can't win the 1 on 1.

252 SpA Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gigalith: 76-90 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Gigalith Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 146-174 (100.6 - 120%) -- guaranteed OHKO

A lot of other things can't take it out as well and are afraid of atleast one of its moves, that includes: Greninja, Solgaleo, Tapu-Fini and Tapu-Lele.

252 SpA Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gigalith: 132-156 (68.7 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gigalith: 94-112 (48.9 - 58.3%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Solgaleo Sunsteel Strike vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Gigalith: 156-186 (81.2 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Whereas none of them appreciate EQ/SE or getting Exploded on.

Case in point being: surviving at least one hit is exactly what you want it to do. Plus there's also the added bonus of Sand Stream's chip damage. If you find yourself in a situation where you can't afford to set up rocks, you can always just go offensive turn 1 and you'll still have 4 turns left to try and force Lunala out so Sand can break its Shadow Shield, and unless you're playing stall that should be plenty of time.

But then again, this all from my personal experience. If you want to use Lycanroc, then by all means go ahead and try it, you just might get better results than I did with it.

Last edited:
Mostly was 'cause Lycanroc is fast and has less probabilities to be taunted, plus cause I heard about the Aurora Veil + baton pass thing, and a Stone edge as fast as possible did not sound bad.
But I suppose slap in scizor and go for bullet punch is a better way.

I did not want look rude. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Totally forgot about Gigalith lol. Before I was using Golem-A.
My team should be: Solagelo, Tapu Fini, Scizor, Mandibuzz, mimikyu, Lycanroc/Gigalith.

I have doubt about mimikyu, maybe I have to try something that can help me to handle Lunala and/or celesteela.
Mandibuzz with taunt was good, but I'm starting to see many Flame charge celesteela.

Lead Gigalith also messes with lead Ninetales-A by overriding the hail with sand, and forcing Ninetales out because it won't want to eat that Stone Edge. (Even if it did stay in, its Blizzard would be at best a 3HKO if it actually landed 3 times.)

///

So, would a physically defensive Xurkitree have any value for dealing with the average Celesteela?

Xurkitree
Ability: Beast Boost
252 HP / 220 Def / 30 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- HP Ice
- ???
- Tail Glow

///

0 Atk Celesteela Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Xurkitree: 70-84 (36.8 - 44.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Celesteela Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Xurkitree: 98-116 (51.5 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+3 36 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Celesteela: 300-354 (147 - 173.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Shrugs off most Celesteela EQs and deletes them with +3 Thunderbolt.

///

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Xurkitree: 158-188 (83.1 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

36 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 172-204 (93.9 - 111.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO (guaranteed OHKO with hazards)

Can tank a Jolly Garchomp EQ and likely OHKO it back with unboosted HP Ice.

///

252+ SpA Lunala Moongeist Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xurkitree: 129-153 (67.8 - 80.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+3 36 SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Lunala: 198-234 (93.3 - 110.3%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

It can shoot down Lunala after chip damage from weather or hazards, and can withstand any of Lunala's unboosted attacks.

///

Basically, if you can get a Tail Glow off, you're likely to destroy something even with the minimal SpA investment.

I'm only theorizing, though. I mainly thought of it as something to do against Celesteela, but threw in all the other calcs for fun.

Speaking of 'for fun':

+3 36 SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Zygarde-Complete: 280-332 (86.6 - 102.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
I like xurkitree, the problem is it lacks coverage, and sometimes it is like worse version of Koko.

The set looks interesting. But I miss time and I don't know if I can catch a bold xurkitree with hp ice, bringing it at lv100 and use 2-3 bottle caps in these few days

But I can try, in the other hand I have still mimikyu battle ready.
Plus then I have 3 ground weakness and just one immunity.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I like xurkitree, the problem is it lacks coverage, and sometimes it is like worse version of Koko.
I don't really get this assertion... Koko is great and top tier for a reason, but Xurkitree has a bunch of things over it that Koko can't do.
Firstly, it's stronger, even factoring in Electric Terrain:

252+ SpA Life Orb Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 136-161 (77.7 - 92%)
252 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Electric Terrain: 122-146 (69.7 - 83.4%)

Tapu Koko is working with a much diminished Special Attack, and its primary form of damage dealing is easily overwritten by a Ground-type or by any of the other Tapus (besides perhaps Fini) overwriting Electric Terrain. Secondly, its best options for special coverage are Grass Knot and Dazzling Gleam, and even if it goes mixed the only good pull from that is Brave Bird. While that's enough for it to at least manage its biggest counters and pull worth in any given match, I'd argue that Xurkitree, with a movepool that includes all of Tapu Koko's special options as well as Signal Beam, the more consistent Energy Ball and a much stronger Hidden Power than Koko, is far from outclassed and certainly not worse. They do different things: Tapu Koko is faster and so it can pivot around and be a much greater nuisance to offense, whereas Xurkitree has almost 80 more Special Attack points and so poses a far greater threat to defensive builds, as well as being able to hold its own against faster builds with a Choice Scarf or Z-Hypnosis set should it choose to.

Sorry this got a little long, but I enjoy using Xurk a lot more than Koko so I'm not a fan of the idea that one is better than the other. Thanks for reading, if you did :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)