Online Competition Battle of Alola [POST YOUR RESULTS!]

Sign-Up Period
Wednesday, December 7, 2016, at 00:00 UTC, through Thursday, December 15, 2016, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.​

Competition Period
Friday, December 16, 2016, at 00:00 UTC, through Sunday, December 18, 2016, at 23:59 UTC

Participation Gift
Qualified participants in the Battle of Alola Online Competition will receive 50 Battle Points. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least three battles.

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Single Battle format.
Items will not be allowed
• Players may use Ash-Greninja and Pokémon with Alola Pokédex numbers 1–204, 206–288, and 293–299; players are allowed to include one special Pokémon in their Battle Team.
• Register three to six of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Team.
• All Pokémon in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Three of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Team will be chosen to battle in each match.
• A 10-minute time limit for each player will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select three Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 15 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.

>>>>PGL's official tournament page<<<<<

Last edited:
presumably this will be 3v3 with a party of 6?
Yup. This is your standard battle spot singles tournament, but with Space bat and Space Lion in the mix. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure Lunala will be the legendary of choice for most people since I saw it all the time in the few matches I've had in the special ladder and it can hold a Weakness Policy now which is gonna make this thing busted thanks to Shadow Shield.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Any word on how the Zygarde formes are treated in this comp? They are Alola Dex (#205) so I assume they're allowed but are they also restricted?

Any word on how the Zygarde formes are treated in this comp? They are Alola Dex (#205) so I assume they're allowed but are they also restricted?
I just looked up the japanese PGL page and they don't go in much detail about it from what I could find. It really just says that special pokemon such as Solgaleo, Lunala and Magearna ( whose QR code went live in the US today ) are allowed, but only one per team.
However, given that Zygarde isn't eligible on BSS, but is in this comp just like the cover lengendaries, I'd think it'll be restricted as well. Can't really say for sure, though but in all likelihood: yes.

The tournament page is now up in english, and all pokemon in Alola's pokedex, plus Greninja, are elegible for this competition barring: Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma and Magearna. Those are presumably the special pokemon, of which you may only use one per team. Hopefully we'll get more accurate information about this once registration actually starts.

Yup. This is your standard battle spot singles tournament, but with Space bat and Space Lion in the mix. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure Lunala will be the legendary of choice for most people since I saw it all the time in the few matches I've had in the special ladder and it can hold a Weakness Policy now which is gonna make this thing busted thanks to Shadow Shield.
Pokemon aren't allowed to hold items in this competition, actually. This should be added to the OP, as it's pretty important to know for teambuilding (RIP my plans to get a Porygon-Z ready for this)

Pokemon aren't allowed to hold items in this competition, actually. This should be added to the OP, as it's pretty important to know for teambuilding (RIP my plans to get a Porygon-Z ready for this)
You're totally right, my mistake there. I've added it to the OP, thanks for the heads up.

Now I'm wondering if Psychic spam will still be just as potent since Tapu Lele can't hold Specs and Alakazam can't Mega Evolve or hold a Life Orb. I think I'll have to plan something else now.

PSA to those looking to use Ash-Greninja on their team: Stock up on Kelpsey berries (found on Route 10's berry tree) if you plan on running Timid. It comes pre-EV trained with a 128 Atk, 128 Sp. Atk, 252 Spd EV spread.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tagging The Immortal for the PS ladder. tl;dr - it's literally the special ladder ruleset BUT you can only use one "special Pokemon" (ie legendary like Solgaleo etc) in your team, instead of unlimited like the special ladder. Just like how VGC16 had it restricted to two special Pokemon. Ash-Greninja doesn't count as "special" apparently:
Players may use Ash-Greninja and Pokémon with Alola Pokédex numbers 1–204, 206–288, and 293–299; players are allowed to include one special Pokémon in their Battle Team.
edit: oh yeah tmon makes a good point, it seems Island Scan mons are banned as it only mentions Alolan Dex numbers 1-299

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Huh, pretty weird that they chose a ruleset that is SO close to Battle Spot Special except for the Special restriction, which actually does change more than you'd think (basically it kills those Lunala / Zygarde / Solgaleo or Magearna cores lol). Hopefully that's the reason why it has such a short lead up time, and this hopefully won't be the norm for most tournaments this gen!

Something else that is important to note though: I don't see any mention of Island Scan Pokemon being allowed. This means we end up losing Hydreigon and Aegislash, which is actually really important and makes Lunala even more difficult to check lol.

Since many Alolan Pokemon are slow, Trick Room is probably going to see a lot of use- Oranguru and Porygon2 are good setters, but no Eviolite..
Mudsdale, Vikavolt, Drought Eruption Torkoal, and Drampa all are hard-hitting but slow, giving them sweeping potential under Trick Room. I'm going to try and find a viable Taunt user as an anti-lead, and I'm not really feeling Whimsicott right now.
Also I don't get Moon until Christmas so I'm just going to hang out here and pretend I'm contributing.

Cool, Yesterday I got many legendaries and UB with good natures.
But I have not ditto to breed something good. I suppose I must use the ledyba-ditto thing.
First I have to build a team tho, lol,

No items?
God, I suppose Lunala will be something that you see in every team.

Edit: oh wait, some mons are not usable. Who are they?

OH, ok, so no zygarde and legends, got it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)