Online Competition Battle of Alola [POST YOUR RESULTS!]

Run

Poster of the Month
The results are up, along with the top 30 most used Pokemon! I personally got #5 in the US... which translates to #97 worldwide lol. Not my best run, but it was still fun!

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4102/
Came in at 11th in US... I was at 1762 right before my last match... That High Horsepower miss was the deciding factor between being ranked 3rd and 11th... geez it was tightly packed there.

Edit: Oh, and the big win I mentioned was vs #8 in the world. woop!

side note: where do we get our BP for participating?

Last edited:
I haven't found any way to do so either, so unless I'm just blind and someone explains it I assume you just can't get them yet.

I remember the only online competition I joined before this one, it was an ORAS competition with HA Tyrunt as participation prize and you weren't able to receive it until a couple of weeks laters (I think) via a special mystery gift code, so it might work the same this time as well. I was pretty confused at the time too since there wasn't any note on the site or anything, it would probably help if they actually explained it there :x

Wondering too how to get those BoA participation battle points
You can't get them yet. The reward is usually handed out after they've tallied the statistics of the whole competition which usually takes several days. I'd expect it to be released around the same time as the analysis, it shouldn't take too long.

Anyways, I didn't perform as well as I expected. Got to the mid 1700s and then tilted all my way down to 1650-ish, so I'm really kinda bummed since I've put a lot of time crafting my team but oh well, that's the game we play and the competition was really fun despite my final result so I'm glad I joined nevertheless! Hopefully I'll do better next time.

Here's the team I used:

Shout outs to Pelipper. I won a bunch of games thanks to the fact very few people expected the toilet bird to come through.

The results are up, along with the top 30 most used Pokemon! I personally got #5 in the US... which translates to #97 worldwide lol. Not my best run, but it was still fun!

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4102/
This was my first online competition, but I somehow managed to place right behind you (#6 in the US, #98 worldwide, 1760 pts.), so that was a pleasant surprise! Here's the team I used:

These are basically just the Pokemon I use in the Battle Tree (Pheromosa with Low Kick instead of HJK, Tapu Koko, and Salamence/Aegislash for Super Singles and Tapu Koko, Kartana, Tapu Lele, and Salamence for Super Doubles), except I replaced Aegislash with Lunala. I probably should've replaced Salamence with something else since items were banned, but he did occasionally help me beat Alolan Muk, so I guess it worked out okay?

Lunala was ridiculously good, as expected. Tapu Koko was pretty useful in general, except when I had to face a gimmicky Motor Drive Baton Pass Emolga set (I messed up the first time and hilariously lost but later battled the same person again and won by just not bringing Tapu Koko). Surprisingly, Kartana also ended up being one of the best members of my team. It was able to wall a lot of physical threats, most notably Mimikyu and standard Dragon Dance sets, even without any investment in its defenses. However, since the cover legendaries and Mimikyu were everywhere, I had very few opportunities to bring Pheromosa and Tapu Lele (especially without Choice Scarf) into battle.

I feel like a lot of us outside of Japan suffered a bit in the rankings because we didn't think island scan Pokemon (Aegislash lol) were allowed, but it wasn't too horrible in most cases. Oh well.

Last edited:
Just curious: how commonly did you guys actually face Mimikyu? I saw it on tons of benches but almost never in play, and a friend and I basically reasoned that was because Solgaleo and Lunala's signatures are both super effective and pierce its Disguise and both are potentially faster (one higher base speed). Plus I'm sure that it suffered because folks were prepared for Tapus.

I actually saw very few island scan Pokemon and Aegislash wasn't even the one I had trouble with the three or so times I faced him. I had no idea what a Togekiss even was, however, and I think that whole team had me off-balance.

Just curious: how commonly did you guys actually face Mimikyu? I saw it on tons of benches but almost never in play, and a friend and I basically reasoned that was because Solgaleo and Lunala's signatures are both super effective and pierce its Disguise and both are potentially faster (one higher base speed). Plus I'm sure that it suffered because folks were prepared for Tapus.

I actually saw very few island scan Pokemon and Aegislash wasn't even the one I had trouble with the three or so times I faced him. I had no idea what a Togekiss even was, however, and I think that whole team had me off-balance.
I both faced and used ( my own ) Mimikyu quite often, and yeah, Lunala and Solgaleo were the biggest threats to it—the latter moreso than the former, though. Mimikyu could actually take Lunala out if Shadow Shield was down and not many people were running max speed Lunala, so more often than not I could actually stay in and outspeed it before it could take my Mimikyu out with Moongeist Beam. Solgaleo, on the other hand, could, at any point so long as it is healthy enough, take whatever Mimikyu threw at it and retaliate.

So yeah I saw it being used quite often and I'd usually bench it if my opponent had Solgaleo; maybe bring it if they had Lunala. Tapu Lele however.. complete dead weight for me because of those two.

A lot of people did use Mimikyu against me, but that was probably because they thought I would bring in Tapu Lele to set up Psychic Terrain (I didn't). Lunala and Kartana were able to defeat it easily. The only Mimikyu sets that disrupted my team were ones with Thunder Wave or Trick Room instead of Swords Dance.

And yeah, the island scan Pokemon usually weren't a huge problem, but it would've been nice to have full knowledge before locking in our teams.

#13 Golisopod

I have to try this guy, people just keep using him really much.
Or just they don't know that Tapu Lele exists lol, even cause chickensh!t as trait it's not so cool.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's a list of players I got so far with their records in this competition! Players with the [confirmed] tag are players who have IGNs that are similar to or match their smogon username or have a screenshot of the right top corner with their player profile.

Firrefly 1822 (35-9) [Confirmed]
vakatalesau 1811 (36-9)
Darkdevil 1811 [Confirmed]
Theorymon 1762 (33-12) [Confirmed]
LydianChord 1760 [Confirmed]
Run 1755 [Confirmed]
Copykite 1721 [Confirmed]
elnimio 1711
cant say 1710 [Confirmed]
SolidVen 1594
Owen Quillion 1592 [Confirmed]

If you're not on this list or want to have the [confirmed] tag, please post your results with a screenshot of the right top corner of the page. Thanks :) It'll also help me greatly if you make your competition page on the PGL public to other PGL players.

Last edited:
Here's my competition profile.

My win/loss ratio was 25/20, and you already have my rating of 1592.

Apologies for the hacky crop-job on this

upload_2016-12-24_9-32-33.png

Side note: I was curious, so I looked at the bottom of the usage stats, which includes gems like Clefairy and Zubat, and it reminded me that one of my last matches was 5 solid Pokemon and Caterpie. He didn't field it, but it amused me nonetheless.

Here's a list of players I got so far with their records in this competition! Players with the [confirmed] tag are players who have IGNs that are similar to or match their smogon username or have a screenshot of the right top corner with their player profile.

Firrefly 1822 (35-9)
vakatalesau 1811 (36-9)
Run 1755 [Confirmed]
Copykite 1721
elnimio 1711
SolidVen 1594
Owen Quillion 1592

If you're not on this list or want to have the [confirmed] tag, please post your results with a screenshot of the right top corner of the page. Thanks :) It'll also help me greatly if you make your competition page on the PGL public to other PGL players.
Added a screenshot of the top right profile corner in my previous comment.
In-game username: Zacko. Account username: Copykite, as seen in this screenshot.

Finished with a 37-8 record. Would've finished ~1840 (tops in U.S. and top 10 overall) if it wasn't for a DC 1 turn away from victory. Because of that untimely DC, apparently I didn't get a score for the whole competition. I even emailed PGL about it and they said there was nothing they could do. Regardless, it was a fun tourney and here's the team I used:

The main idea of the team was to have Cloyster Shell Smash and clean up. I had Ninetales mainly for Aurora Veil to make it easier to Shell Smash in front of things like Garchomp and Solgaleo. To go along with the dual screens, I had two set-up sweepers in SD Garchomp and SD Scizor. Garchomp worked very well against Solgaleo and Lunala because of Earthquake and Crunch respectively. Scizor worked well against Mimikyu. My last two slots were dedicated to handle things that Cloyster could not set up in front of, such as Lunala and Pheromosa. Alolan Muk was a bonafide answer to Lunala and worked against Tapu Koko in a pinch. Arcanine handled Pheromosa and Celesteela which were pretty common. Most of my losses were from misplays on my end, such as bringing Cloyster against a Tapu Koko team and things like that.

Lastly, here are a few enjoyable battles I had in the tourney:

vs cant say: VRBW-WWWW-WWW3-P2UW
vs Corrin(I assume it's the same person here): A8FW-WWWW-WWW3-P2UQ
vs ANyo, a friend I was Skyping with when we ran into each other: DQYG-WWWW-WWW3-P2VR

All in all I did better than I expected. I learned some things about Gen 7 mons, especially UB's. While I'm pretty salty about that DC, still was a fun tourney to be a part of.

Firrefly 1822 (35-9)
vakatalesau 1811 (36-9)
Run 1755 [Confirmed]
Copykite 1721 [Confirmed]
elnimio 1711
SolidVen 1594
Owen Quillion 1592 [Confirmed]

https://gyazo.com/8df3ae60f197d86b3716ab9f014b4167 Here's my confirmation of my competition results

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)