Battle of Hoenn [Online Competition] - Finished! Erebyssial Wins!

Just for a moment I want to talk about the reward for taking part: HA Tyrunt.

Since I've never really paid attention to the online competitions prior to Gen 6; this is pretty exciting as it's the first time I've seen a pokemon given away from a competition. Is this the first time they've done it?

It also opens up some very cool possibilities - the obvious one being that Snow Warning Amaura will be available in the same way along with a lot of other pokemon that lack a method to obtain their HA's in Gen 6.

Either way, it's a very cool reward that I'm really happy we're getting.

School has really gotten in my way for preparing for this. I think I might have to run with what few Hoenn quality pokemon I've got on hand.

With that in mind I submit a RMT request-

MEGAS

Heracross @ Heracossite
Ability: Guts (as a Just-in-Case precaution against Sableye)
Nature: +Spe, -SpAtk (Requires Jolly to outspeed Breloom once in Mega Forme)
EVS: 224 Spe, 252 Atk, 16 HP (gives it 157 HP to give it a Burn Number), 16 SpD
Moves:
Close Combat (to break Agron 2hko 99.4%, Skarm w/ roost blocks)
Rock Blast (to kill Mence, other flying)
Seed Bomb (to deal with Swampert)
Substitute (to save from status)

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, 248 HP, 8 Spe (to outspeed Mawiles)
Moves:
Sucker Punch
Play Rough
Iron Head
Substitute/Swords Dance
Very conventional set. Leaning towards Swords Dance.

Partners

Gyarados @ Lum Berry(Red Card/Rocky Helmet?)
Nature: Jolly OR Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, (172 Spe+, 84 HP ) OR 252 Hp
Moves:
Thrash/EQ
Crunch
Waterfall
DD/Thunder Wave
Used to be a very conventional guy. DD->Sweep, but then I figured with
Intimidate it could be a pretty significant switch-in/spoiler. Lum Berry
gives it some insulation against Breloom and pranksters, and if it outspeeds (JOLLY set) it can give it the
2hko required on the sash variant. The Thunder Wave variant (adamant) works well with both
Red Card -momentum changer/status spreading(ideally Moxie ability)- and Rocky Helmet -minor check to Breloom/M-Heracross-.

Kingdra @ Razor Claw

Nature: Modest
EVs: 248 Hp, 168 Def, 92 SpDef
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Flash Cannon
Scald
Focus Energy
An experiment pokemon from a year ago, works well when setting up but I've not been using him much
on Showdown!. Self explanatory really, takes out a lot of the meta due to its Special focus. Synergystic
with thunder wave, M-Mawile's and M-Heracross' fire weakness.

The last two are still up in the air. I was leaning towards Flygon due to its synergy with Mawile/Gyrados but I already
have two weaknesses to Fairy and Dragon Types, though on showdown he faired well w/ Safety Goggles as a surprise Breloom
counter. Next is Magnezone with Magnet Pull most likely as a hard counter to Skarm and maybe even metagross(??? is this possible)
but again I have two current weaknesses to fire (though I have two strong counters), and option I guess is to have it run WP and sturdy instead of Choicing it.

I have a Sableye potentially but was experimenting with a Trace Gardevoir counter against it (w/ Safety Goggles as a double check to breloom).
It gets Magic Coat which can be a lot of fun and acts as a counter to Mawiles and Dragons (flamethrower).

Duscnoir/Dusclops can be the well needed wall and momentum shift that Gyarados
doesn't need to be.

Is Gallade any good without using his mega?

Ideas? Feed back?

Last edited:

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
School has really gotten in my way for preparing for this. I think I might have to run with what few Hoenn quality pokemon I've got on hand.

With that in mind I submit a RMT request-

MEGAS

Heracross @ Heracossite
Ability: Guts (as a Just-in-Case precaution against Sableye)
Nature: +Spe, -SpAtk (Requires Jolly to outspeed Breloom once in Mega Forme)
EVS: 224 Spe, 252 Atk, 16 HP (gives it 157 HP to give it a Burn Number), 16 SpD
Moves:
Close Combat (to break Agron 2hko 99.4%, Skarm w/ roost blocks)
Rock Blast (to kill Mence, other flying)
Seed Bomb (to deal with Swampert)
Substitute (to save from status)

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 Atk, 248 HP, 8 Spe (to outspeed Mawiles)
Moves:
Sucker Punch
Play Rough
Iron Head
Substitute/Swords Dance
Very conventional set. Leaning towards Swords Dance.

Partners

Gyarados @ Lum Berry(Red Card/Rocky Helmet?)
Nature: Jolly OR Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk, (172 Spe+, 84 HP ) OR 252 Hp
Moves:
Thrash/EQ
Crunch
Waterfall
DD/Thunder Wave
Used to be a very conventional guy. DD->Sweep, but then I figured with
Intimidate it could be a pretty significant switch-in/spoiler. Lum Berry
gives it some insulation against Breloom and pranksters, and if it outspeeds (JOLLY set) it can give it the
2hko required on the sash variant. The Thunder Wave variant (adamant) works well with both
Red Card -momentum changer/status spreading(ideally Moxie ability)- and Rocky Helmet -minor check to Breloom/M-Heracross-.

Kingdra @ Razor Claw

Nature: Modest
EVs: 248 Hp, 168 Def, 92 SpDef
Moves:
Draco Meteor
Flash Cannon
Scald
Focus Energy
An experiment pokemon from a year ago, works well when setting up but I've not been using him much
on Showdown!. Self explanatory really, takes out a lot of the meta due to its Special focus. Synergystic
with thunder wave, M-Mawile's and M-Heracross' fire weakness.

The last two are still up in the air. I was leaning towards Flygon due to its synergy with Mawile/Gyrados but I already
have two weaknesses to Fairy and Dragon Types, though on showdown he faired well w/ Safety Goggles as a surprise Breloom
counter. Next is Magnezone with Magnet Pull most likely as a hard counter to Skarm and maybe even metagross(??? is this possible)
but again I have two current weaknesses to fire (though I have two strong counters), and option I guess is to have it run WP and sturdy instead of Choicing it.

I have a Sableye potentially but was experimenting with a Trace Gardevoir counter against it (w/ Safety Goggles as a double check to breloom).
It gets Magic Coat which can be a lot of fun and acts as a counter to Mawiles and Dragons (flamethrower).

Duscnoir/Dusclops can be the well needed wall and momentum shift that Gyarados
doesn't need to be.

Is Gallade any good without using his mega?

Ideas? Feed back?
I'm not experienced enough to provide a full RMT, but would like to comment that many of your EV spreads are potentially inefficient. The stat calculation is different for Lv. 50 (assuming odd (31) IVs, if EVs - 4 / 8 = a whole number then your EVs are efficient). Eg for Heracross, 28 HP EVs gives it an optimal burn number (8n-1) as opposed to 16 HP, 252 Atk is fine, however only need to be running 220 Spe EVs to reach the same speed stat as 224 EVs would give. Also your 16 SpD is innefficient, you only need 12 to provide the same stats.
The 248 HP EVs on Mawile yield the same results as 244 would, allowing you to boost you 8 Spe to 12 (giving you an efficient spread).
Many players also like to take 8 EVs out of a maxed-out stat (Eg Gyarados' potential HP) and place 4 in both Def and SpD, effectively giving you one more working stat.

Also, Kingdra doesn't get Intimidate, I'll assume that you meant Sniper as you're running a CritDra set.

Thoughts on a Sash Breloom set with Counter? Could be used to get some surprise KO's on things like MegaMence, Mega Aggron and Azu, and also get regular Aggron down to Sturdy and KO with Mach Punch. Can also get around Lv.1 Aron without having to sleep it.

cant say edit: don't double post, use the 'edit' button

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I'm using for Battle of Hoenn, thanks to ethan06 for all his help, I haven't played competitively since Gen IV. Game has changed a lot since GSbot and RSbot.

Breloom (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Tomb

My standard lead. Just Spore and go to Metagross for setup, or switch to Gyarados in the case of opposing Grasses or Breloom counters. Sometimes they have Safety Goggles, or Snore, or Sleep Talk, but then I've already won by them having sub-optimal items and moves on their guys.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Jolly Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

The heavy hitter, outspeeds a bunch of stuff after an Agility and then just goes to town on them. After a Spore you can basically set up for free if your prayers to the God of Extended Sleep go answered.

Gyarados (M) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 100 HP / 188 Atk / 4 Def / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Bounce

My Breloom counter. Safety Goggles saves it from Spore and Intimidate renders Breloom virtually powerless. Some people also don't catch on to Safety Goggles, trying to Spore again, so a free Dragon Dance. Also for stuff like Roserade and Ludicolo, hence Bounce.

Exploud (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast

When the above 3-team combo doesn't work, this guy comes in. The rising star of my team, STAB Boombursts hit incredibly hard, two-shotting almost anything, and OHKOing even more. People struggle to deal with it, I've seen attempts to Intimidate, Burn and switch to Ghost-types fail as Boomburst just wipes the floor with them. In most situations its fine just to click Boomburst and sit back and watch all their stuff die. Exploud can also take a hit and nothing is really safe switching into it.

Gardevoir (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Gardevoir fills a niche role in being a counter to a few specific threats, some of them being Mega Manectric and Weather teams. I haven't used her much but when I do shes been very solid.

Sableye (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Recover

The least-used member of my team, I've used Sableye only a few times, and its only memorable moment was taking out a Skarmory, which was nice. Sableye is still very good and I'm sure it has a role, I just don't know what it is. I am considering using the Mega version, if I can figure out if there'd be a situation where I'd need Metagross and Sableye on the same 3 man squad.

So yeah, I haven't played competitively for a long time so I'm pretty rusty but this team has done pretty well on Showdown, but Japanese in the Battle of Hoenn will be a completely different matter and I'll be satisfied if I can come out of it with an equal win-loss record. Thanks again to ethan06 for all his advice and patience with all my questions.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just letting everyone know that there is 8 hours remaining from the time of posting this to register for the competition! This link should take you directly to the signup page and save you from trying to navigate the PGL. Remember that you don't have to lock your Battle Box until you decide to play your first match, and the games that you don't play carry over to the next day so if you're busy it isn't a problem, you can lock your Battle Box and play all 30 matches on the Sunday if you really want. So get on Pokemon Showdown! and practice as much as you can (and make changes to your team) before you start!

Reactions: JES
I haven't been on for a while, due to having a head cold for the last couple of days, but I haven't stopped trying to improve my roster.
This is currently what I've come up with:

Kacheank the Metagross:
Ability: Clear Body>Tough Claws
Item: Metagrossite
Move 1: Bullet Punch
Move 2: Zen Headbutt
Move 3: Iron Head
Move 4: Earthquake
EVs: Mostly Attack, with various EVs in everything else but Special Attack. The extra bulk proved useful in the Battle Maison, so I figure they'll be just as good here.

Azumarill:
Ability: Huge Freaking Power
Item: Sitrus Berry
Move 1: Play Rough
Move 2: Aqua Jet
Move 3: Belly Drum
Move 4: Waterfall
EVs: Mostly attack, but with various EVs in everything else but Special Attack. The extra bulk has proved useful, and helped Azumarill survived many attacks in the Battle Maison, and I think they'll prove just as useful here, so long as I have Azumarill avoid Grass, Electric, or Poison type attacks. And Azumarill has proven to provide a 2 or 3 Hit KO on most Pokemon, while Azumarill requires usually a 2 hit KO. If given the chance to Belly Drum, it turns into a 2 or instant KO.

Cradily:
Nature: Calm
Ability: Storm Drain
Item: Quick Claw
Move 1: Ancient Power
Move 2: Giga Drain
Move 3: Recover
Move 4: Stockpile
EVs: 252 in HP and Special Defense, with some in Defense.

Hopskinville (Goblin) the Sableye:
Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
Move 1: Taunt
Move 2: Dark Pulse
Move 4: Will-O-Wisp
EVs: 252 in HP and Defense, 4 in Special Defense, and 2 Special Attack

Trumpets the Donphan:
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Expert Belt
Move 1: Earthquake
Move 2: Ice Shard
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: Counter
EVs: Mostly in Attack, a lot in HP, and a little bit in everything else except for Special Attack.

South(ern) Fried the Blaziken:
Ability: Speed Boost
Item: Blazikenite
Move 1: Protect
Move 2: Low Kick
Move 2: Knock Off
Move 4: Flare Blitz
EVs: Mostly in HP and Attack, with some in HP.

After this, I intend to try breeding for other sets that were recommended, such as Intimidate Mixed Attacker Salamence, and Technician Breloom, in case I have to battle in this meta again, as well as breed for a Rock Head Tyrantrum set. Come to think of it, has anyone even done an analysis for that set yet?

In the mean time, I have a bunch of Phanphys, Torchics, and Sableyes to WT away. I even have 2 female Speed Boost Torchics, so hopefully, those will go to someone whose 3DS isn't set to English, or is otherwise foreign.

Thanks to everyone who gave me their suggestions.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmm... me and Jibaku sorta ran into a brick wall with my team. Jibaku help me to decide to go with the Wobboffense route. At the moment my team is looking like

Wobbuffet / Swords Dance Blaziken / Mega Gyarados / Breloom

We couldn't figure out the last 2 mons, but suggestions have included Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, and even Latias.

You guys got any ideas?

Hmm... me and Jibaku sorta ran into a brick wall with my team. Jibaku help me to decide to go with the Wobboffense route. At the moment my team is looking like

Wobbuffet / Swords Dance Blaziken / Mega Gyarados / Breloom

We couldn't figure out the last 2 mons, but suggestions have included Mega Metagross, Mega Salamence, and even Latias.

You guys got any ideas?
If it were me, I'd avoid using Latias or Metagross, since you already have a Psychic type. Though you'll have to ask yourself: do you mind another Pokemon that is weak against Dark and Ghost types?

Not too worried about Gyarados and Salamence sharing the Flying type though. You'll be pretty much be keeping Gyarados Mega Evolved anyways, right?

Funny thing: I just noticed that the Hoenn Pokemon selection is great for Physical Attackers, but they don't really leave you with a whole lot of powerful Special Attackers.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you haven't locked your Battle Box yet then I have some last minute suggestions:

I haven't been on for a while, due to having a head cold for the last couple of days, but I haven't stopped trying to improve my roster.
This is currently what I've come up with:

Kacheank the Metagross:
Ability: Clear Body>Tough Claws
Item: Metagrossite
Move 1: Bullet Punch
Move 2: Zen Headbutt Ice Punch
Move 3: Iron Head
Move 4: Earthquake
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed

Zen Headbutt hits nothing of note in this meta, I at least haven't seen any good fighting types (Ice Punch OHKOs Breloom). Azumarill / Sableye can handle them anyway if needed. Ice Punch allows you to beat Salamence, even if you've been Intimidated with an IP + BP combo (unless 'Mence is running bulk).

Azumarill:
Ability: Huge Freaking Power
Item: Sitrus Berry
Move 1: Play Rough
Move 2: Aqua Jet
Move 3: Belly Drum
Move 4: Waterfall
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 14 Spe

with a perfect 31 IV in HP, 244 EVs give it a total of 206, meaning that using Belly Drum at full health will bring it to 50% and activate the Sitrus Berry. Full HP EVs gives 207 which will leave it at 51% and not activate the Sitrus Berry.

Cradily:
Nature: Calm
Ability: Storm Drain
Item: Quick Claw
Move 1: Ancient Power
Move 2: Giga Drain
Move 4: Stockpile
EVs: 252 HP / 6 Def / 252 SpD

This is the weakest link in your team but it's probably too late to totally replace.

Hopskinville (Goblin) the Sableye:
Nature: Bold
Item: Leftovers
Move 1: Taunt
Move 2: Dark Pulse Knock Off / Foul Play
Move 4: Will-O-Wisp
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD or Spe

Dark Pulse is worthless, Knock Off or Foul Play are much better but both have their uses. Foul Play uses the opponents attack stat to determine the damage instead of your own, perfect for Sableye with its poor offensive stats. Knock Off can rid something of its item which can be very useful. The normal thing to do is put the remaining EVs in special defense, but I think getting the jump on other Sableye so you can Taunt them would be a nice surprise.

Trumpets the Donphan:
Ability: Sturdy
Item: Expert Belt
Move 1: Earthquake
Move 2: Ice Shard
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: Counter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe

Good Pokemon, just watch out for Breloom.

South(ern) Fried the Blaziken:
Ability: Speed Boost
Item: Blazikenite
Move 1: Protect
Move 2: Low Kick
Move 2: Knock Off
Move 4: Flare Blitz
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Moveset is fine, I'm interested in the EVs. Sure Speed Boost patches the lack of speed EVs but it needs to be able to go toe-to-toe with other speed boosters like Salamence, fast Scarfers like the Latis, maybe even Sharpedo. With no speed investment you will need an extra turn to get the jump on them all, which you would need a Focus Sash to be able to get (no the HP investment won't help). Maybe just run some speed, enough to outspeed certain threats that you want Blaze to deal with (I haven't been able to do speed tiers and won't now).
In relation to your closing notes:

After this, I intend to try breeding for other sets that were recommended, such as Intimidate Mixed Attacker Salamence, and Technician Breloom, in case I have to battle in this meta again
I can't see Hoenn Dex being a metagame again anytime soon, unless we host some sort of competition ourselves with that ruleset. I'm guessing that after this weekend then that will be it. I would be looking into the regular Battle Spot singles format and breeding stuff that will be good there.

as well as breed for a Rock Head Tyrantrum set. Come to think of it, has anyone even done an analysis for that set yet?
HA Tyrunt won't be out until about the 30th, so don't get too excited. And no, there is not an analysis for it yet as it's not even released / available. Maybe you can be the one to pioneer a new build for it!

I really shouldn't be preparing last minute for this.
I only have 5 team members atm, still completely lost on what to do for #6. All I really know is I'm running Mega Aggron + LO Blaziken + (Mega) Gyarados. Can post info on what I have if team suggestions are appropriate for this thread.

If you haven't locked your Battle Box yet then I have some last minute suggestions:

In relation to your closing notes:

I can't see Hoenn Dex being a metagame again anytime soon, unless we host some sort of competition ourselves with that ruleset. I'm guessing that after this weekend then that will be it. I would be looking into the regular Battle Spot singles format and breeding stuff that will be good there.

HA Tyrunt won't be out until about the 30th, so don't get too excited. And no, there is not an analysis for it yet as it's not even released / available. Maybe you can be the one to pioneer a new build for it!
Zen Headbutt has proven to be very effective against Poison and Fighting types, the latter of which I have nothing else to hit super-effectively against, and I can even hit Medicham for STAB damage, not to mention knock out any Breloom or Machamps that don't have a Sash. I need that Psychic type STAB attack, and I'd prefer to slam a Salamence with a STAB Mega Iron Head. I don't care how defensive it is, it isn't going to like it. And if he Flamethrowers Kachaenk to death, Azumarill can come in and either set up, or revenge kill.

I'm not too worried about Cradily. He is more for finishing off the opponents Pokemon, when everyone else has hopefully been clobbered. So long as their remaining Pokemon aren't Ice, Fighting, or Steel, or has Toxic or Will-O-Wisp, Cradily will hang in there, and indeed, experience has taught me that if I've knocked out the other two Pokemon, Cradily will grab me the win 2 out of 3 times. Try taking out my Cradily without those, and you'll find it to be a very frustrating task. I might even test to see how well Hopskinville and Cradily work together, with Hopskinville weakening the opposing party, and Cradily setting up and finishing off the stragglers.

And you suggested Dark Pulse on a Bold Sableye, and Hopskinville's IVs in Attack are horrible, so Knock Off and Foul Play would probably be insignificant. Then again, if your sure that the terrible IVs in Hopskinville's Attack won't significantly effect Foul Play's power, then I'll switch out Dark Pulse for Foul Play.

I'll make the prescribed stat changes, though I will miss the extra bulk on Kachaenk and Azumarill.

And unless Technician Breloom or Intimidate Salamence is really good outside this meta, maybe I'll just focus on other stuff. Either way, I intend to focus of Rock Head Tyrantrum when I can. That might actually end up being the first analysis I end up successfully making, because as it turns out "Mega Audino is bad".

Zen Headbutt has proven to be very effective against Poison and Fighting types, the latter of which I have nothing else to hit super-effectively against, and I can even hit Medicham for STAB damage, not to mention knock out any Breloom or Machamps that don't have a Sash. I need that Psychic type STAB attack, and I'd prefer to slam a Salamence with a STAB Mega Iron Head. I don't care how defensive it is, it isn't going to like it. And if he Flamethrowers Kachaenk to death, Azumarill can come in and either set up, or revenge kill.

I'm not too worried about Cradily. He is more for finishing off the opponents Pokemon, when everyone else has hopefully been clobbered. So long as their remaining Pokemon aren't Ice, Fighting, or Steel, or has Toxic or Will-O-Wisp, Cradily will hang in there, and indeed, experience has taught me that if I've knocked out the other two Pokemon, Cradily will grab me the win 2 out of 3 times. Try taking out my Cradily without those, and you'll find it to be a very frustrating task. I might even test to see how well Hopskinville and Cradily work together, with Hopskinville weakening the opposing party, and Cradily setting up and finishing off the stragglers.

And you suggested Dark Pulse on a Bold Sableye, and Hopskinville's IVs in Attack are horrible, so Knock Off and Foul Play would probably be insignificant. Then again, if your sure that the terrible IVs in Hopskinville's Attack won't significantly effect Foul Play's power, then I'll switch out Dark Pulse for Foul Play.

I'll make the prescribed stat changes, though I will miss the extra bulk on Kachaenk and Azumarill.

And unless Technician Breloom or Intimidate Salamence is really good outside this meta, maybe I'll just focus on other stuff. Either way, I intend to focus of Rock Head Tyrantrum when I can. That might actually end up being the first analysis I end up successfully making, because as it turns out "Mega Audino is bad".
Foul Play uses your foe's attack stat, not Sableye's. Sableye's stats/IVs/EVs/Nature have nothing to do with it; that's why it likes it.
TechniLoom and Salamemce are relevant, usable pokemon in general; they won't be a waste to have in your box :P

Foul Play uses your foe's attack stat, not Sableye's. Sableye's stats/IVs/EVs/Nature have nothing to do with it; that's why it likes it.
TechniLoom and Salamemce are relevant, usable pokemon in general; they won't be a waste to have in your box :P
So TechniLoom and Salamence will be worth the time and space to have in my collection. Okay, good to know. And I'll change Hopskinville's attack back to Foul Play. Good to know that her quite frankly terrible Attack won't effect it's effectiveness.

I might not have the time to play the first two days of the competition... will I be able to play those battle later (for example 30 battles 3rd day)? And if I play 5 battles day one, can I play 15 battles day two then? :)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What does it mean by register to your battle box?
It means when you get the digital sign up code on your 3DS, its going to ask you to lock your battle box.

The Battle Box is this special box at the end of your PC that only has 6 slots, and can be accessed any time when playing battle spot. Competitions such as this don't allow you to change your team once your battle box is registered, aka locked. Make sure you are 100% sure you are ok with your team before you do that!

It means when you get the digital sign up code on your 3DS, its going to ask you to lock your battle box.

The Battle Box is this special box at the end of your PC that only has 6 slots, and can be accessed any time when playing battle spot. Competitions such as this don't allow you to change your team once your battle box is registered, aka locked. Make sure you are 100% sure you are ok with your team before you do that!
How do I do that?
I literally just got 3 random br mons and put them in.
Thank god I'm in juniors.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
How do I do that?
I literally just got 3 random br mons and put them in.
Thank god I'm in juniors.
Just go Battle Spot -> Online Competition ->Battle and it will lock your Battle Box automatically

KCN I like the idea of Choice Specs Exploud! I just have to wonder though, does 252 Spe help it to outspeed anything in particular this format? Have you tried going for a bit more bulk?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay

You're not listening to me, this is not the Battle Maison any more. Iron Head does the same damage to Medicham as Zen Headbutt so I'm not sure how that is a valid argument, and you have Earthquake to hit Poison types (who aren't even a threat anyway), the only valid thing you said was that it hits Fighting types but I pointed out that the only prominent Fighting type is Breloom who is still OHKO'd by Ice Punch anyway. Zen Headbutt / Iron Head is not a viable alternative for taking out Salamence, you're making assumptions without actually doing any damage calculations. I can assure you that if you don't have Ice Punch on that set, Salemance will kill you:

M-Mence against Metagross:

• 252 Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 88-104 (56.4 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • +1 252 Atk Mega Salamence Earthquake vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 132-156 (84.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ SpA Mega Salamence Fire Blast vs. 6 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 122-144 (78.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Metagross against M-Mence:

• 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Zen Headbutt / Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 85-102 (50 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 216-256 (127 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 144-172 (84.7 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Salamence: 30-36 (17.6 - 21.1%) -- possible 5HKO

Just from looking at these shows that not running Ice Punch allows every Salamence set to 2HKO Metagross before it can do the same back, while Ice Punch allows it to take on and win against non-boosted or +1 physical Mence or fully special Mence and win, even after being Intimidated!! If that doesn't sell you on it then I don't know what will

I suggested Dark Pulse on the Calm Mind Mega Sableye set, not the regular one! Again, you're not reading the information I'm giving you, I said that Foul Play doesn't use Sableye's attack stat, rather it uses the opponents, making it a great move against things like Mence, Metagross and other high-attack threats. Knock Off is recommended with an Impish Nature so you're right, yours wouldn't do that much damage, but the ability to get rid of the opposing Pokemon's item could prove effective (good for Sableye vs Sableye fights)

Mega Metagross doesn't need bulk, it needs attack and speed. I gave you max attack and bulk on Azumarill, what else would you need?

Another long-time retiree here popping back in to play some games.
Finished 9-1 on day one with the following:

(But only played against 6 of what I consider to be real teams; lost with roserade / azumarill / gardevoir to a simple combination of gardevoir and metagross [sleep powder miss didn't help]; almost lost to lv1 aron / quick claw water spout + selfdestruct wailord (!); should have lost another game to a misplay against life orb blaziken / ludicolo / mega metagross but the guy's metagross was not jolly).

Donphan @ Leftovers
sturdy, adamant
- earthquake
- endeavor
- ice shard
- knock off

Poor man's Mamoswine. Usually left this for last because it can 1v1 a bunch of stuff. Also Healing Wish synergy with Sturdy.
Should have perhaps played Sitrus or Goggles instead of Leftovers, but the little heal tick did save me once from getting 2hkoed by Blaziken.

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
huge power, adamant
- aqua jet
- play rough
- waterfall
- knock off

Sitrus Berry would have been better since the meta seems to be so skewed towards physical attackers.

Sableye @ Sablenite
prankster, bold
- calm mind
- recover
- will-o-wisp
- dark pulse

I'm not playing Metagross, Blaziken or Salamence so if someone wants to play the long game, something like this is nice. Only actually picked this once.

Magnezone @ Air Balloon
magnet pull, timid
- thunderbolt
- hidden power: fire
- magnet rise
- flash cannon

Wasn't the worst thing in the world against Aggron. Air Balloon for +speed Metagross and Gyarados (Mold Breaker). HP: Fire doesn't do anything; Grass would be have been better; Reflect, Thunder Wave, Swagger or Explosion, too. Discharge over Thunderbolt as well, since you don't 2hko Metagross anyway.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
trace, timid
- psyshock
- thunderbolt
- moonblast
- healing wish

Thunderbolt should have been Shadow Ball in hindsight. Only really used Moonblast (as one does), though.

Roserade @ Focus Sash
natural cure, timid
- sleep powder
- swagger
- sludge bomb
- giga drain

Only used giga drain once despite bringing this along all but two games.

Some data for whatever it's worth:

Opponents came into the selection screen with...
...Metagross: 6 times.
...Gardevoir: 4 times.
...Salamence: 4 times.
...Blaziken: 4 times.
...Breloom: 4 times.
...Latios: 3 times.
...Ludicolo: 3 times.

Last edited:
Hey JES, I wanted to say something because when I read your posts it is uncannily like looking back at myself until very recently. There are a lot of things about competitive battling that are very different to in-game battling, even battling amongst your friends if they're not competitive, and even battling in places like the Battle Frontier and Battle Maison. Certain things that have served you well in your Pokemon career will simply not work in a competitive climate, especially things that affect people like me, and I suspect you, who get really attached to our 'mons. I know how it is - you like those tanky pokes that can laugh off a hit and then hammer the foe into the ground. It is undeniably satisfying. But unfortunately, some pokes just don't work like that. Sometimes a poke's role in your team, the conditions of the meta, or just its base stats will conspire to mean it can't do that for you anymore. A lot of people (myself included) get into denial. The "I don't care how defensive it is, it isn't going to like it." argument speaks to me here. But let me tell you something, you gotta suck it up and let these guys give you some help, and learn all these little intricacies and tactics that underlie the meta, because you wanna know what's even more satisfying than tanking a hit and kicking the opponent in the face? Doing that to every Pokemon on their team because you picked the right mon that can do that more than two times before being KO'd, or sweeping their entire team because you got those EVs just right to game the system, or even better, using what you've learned from all the help and tried-and-tested strategies to make your own strategy and surprise the hell out of everyone. Find that niche that makes your favourite rock. Find that combo that nobody else has thought of. Because I promise you, winning a legit competitive battle like that is both hilarious and oh-so satisfying. It may not have been my own strategy (I love Serebii's POTW), but the other day I surprised my opponent with a Choice Band Delibird, and I swept 4 out of 6 of his Pokemon to take home the win. And that felt way better than all the times I've sacrificed what I know is the sensible competitive strategy for sake of personal attachment to Pokemon or moves or ways of playing and ended up getting my butt handed to me after that one satisfying KO.
The upshot is, competitive play has a really weird enjoyment curve, but I promise, once you get over that hump of how different a world it is and how much you have to learn and get into it whole-hog. It is really, really fun. Good luck, my friend. ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)