1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Battle of the Week \m/

Discussion in 'Site Projects' started by Max, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Max

Max yadig
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Today was going through the RMT archive and reading about Obi's old stall team, and got to thinking, "I wonder who would win, Obi's stall team or IPL's?". I have always been curious to see some really good battlers face each other, but sadly this only really happens in tournaments, and not very often.

Well, how about a Battle of the Week? People could nominate battlers (and specific theme teams even, ie. stall, offensive, etc.) kinda like how the Well works in Firebot, and once a week we could hype up the battle, and even record it and put it up on Youtube with commentaries.

Any thoughts? I have spoken to some users on IRC (EW, panamaxis, m0nkfish) and they seem to like it.

edit: m0nkfish came up with it first!
  2. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

heh sounds pretty cool i like it
  3. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

I approve of this idea. It would attract a lot of attention to the YouTube channel. What's better than watching two great players using two great teams?
  4. chaos

chaos
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
    Owner

good idea
  5. Pirika

Pirika O boxeador revolucionário
    is an Artist Alumnus

I really like this idea.
  6. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Yep, good idea, I like it.
  7. ryubahamut

ryubahamut
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

sounds amazing. perhaps implement it as a collection of 4 battles of the week and make it a part of the smog?
  8. diinbong

diinbong *it's in you to give*
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I love this idea.
  9. MythTrainerInfinity

MythTrainerInfinity

Sounds fun, I'd love to see this.
  10. Calciphoce

Calciphoce

This would be a great idea. People will get a better idea of what to use as an addition.
  11. Stathakis

Stathakis I hax people in real life
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Field Ranger

pc++

i like this idea
  12. Aeroblacktyl

Aeroblacktyl The pizza doesn't scream in the oven! LOL!
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

if everyone wants to lose in front of a big crowd to me, i suppose your wish could be granted
  13. Kristoph

Kristoph

ohhhh, this is an awesome idea, I love it.
  14. Max

Max yadig
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Glad to see people like this idea. :)

Would we want to put it as a sticky thread in the Tournaments section? or in Stark Mountain?
  15. Taylor

Taylor stardust infinite
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

sounds good
  16. Kevin Garrett

is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

Tournaments would probably be a better atmosphere to run it in.
  17. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

I like the idea too. Wouldn't an announcement in both Stark and Tournaments (and why not, RMT too) be a better idea? After all, this is not a tournament.
  18. Articuno64

Articuno64 1 to 63 were taken
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I'll beat mop senseless
  19. august

august free the robots
    is a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournament

confirming i'll win (like this idea)

i also like the idea of doing this in the smog
  20. imperfectluck

imperfectluck
    is a Past WCoP Winnerwon the 4th Official Smogon Tournament

only if people are interested in seeing hour long matches with ipl
  21. Stallion

Stallion I get so much action, my name should be a verb
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Don't worry mate I'll make sure I finish you off way before that :)

And yes 100 % behind this idea
  22. Colonel M

Colonel M I don't suck it's my team that sucks!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

TM_04 says differently.

Anyway, would be interested to see.
  23. Scofield

Scofield Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhh, Kate.......
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winner

Yeah, great idea, I'm surprised that no one has thought of this before, and no I haven't either. Of course, I don't think it should be advertised as"obi's stall team vs ipl's stall team" unless they are forced to use a selected team, which I assume they aren't? Let's get this started asap, shouldn't take too long to get started right?
  24. Earthworm

Earthworm
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 6 Champion

It seems like this idea got all praise (at least in the thread) and no opposition, so I decided to post what I came up with.

Firstly, I think everyone is in favour of the players choosing what team they want to use rather than people picking an RMT or famous team or whatever (possibly with some exceptions?) and I think I'm in favour of this as well.

Secondly, we need to work out how this will work. There are many possible ways to do this, and the best first step I can think of is a nominations thread where the top 10 get put into a poll, then the winner of that poll gets to play in the next 'round'. After that there are a number of things we can do (and these are in no particular order and this is not an exhaustive list):

1) Start another poll where we list potential match-ups for that player and have people vote on which match-up they want to see.
    2) Have that player play against the 2nd placed user in the first poll.
    3*) Have that user play an 'ongoing champ', i.e. the person who won from last week - maybe Max could play this role first since he posted the idea here in the first place!

Nobody seems opposed to having this run in Tournaments (which KG suggested), so we will probably run it there. The obvious alternative is Stark but this seems more appropriate to the Competitive section.

The Smog and the Youtube channel operation can definitely get interesting things out of this as well.

We should work out the rules, how to handle scheduling and no-shows, and exactly who will be in charge of this (I will if there isn't anyone else that wants to) also.

Does anyone have any criticisms / comments / suggestions?

*Idea suggested by Gouki
  25. Kevin Garrett

I like ideas 2 and 3. The difference between the two is fundamental. Do we want this to be the viewer's choice (idea 2) or have it be more of a competition to see who can be the longest lasting competitor (idea 3)?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)