1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Battle of the Week - Second Season

Discussion in 'Tournaments' started by Earthworm, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earthworm

Earthworm
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 6 Champion

Battle of the Week: Season Two

Subforum Rules | Season One | BotW Homepage

Smog Article #1

Welcome to the second season of Battle of the Week!

Battle of the Week is a program designed to allow the users of Smogon to pick and choose which battles they want to see. If you've been unable to watch battles between top players because they choose to play on a deserted server or at the wrong times, this is your chance to watch an elite battle as it is played. If you still can't be on, you will get to watch the battlers go head to head at a later date by watching it on the Smogon YouTube Channel, because all battles in this program will be recorded and uploaded there. Additionally, The Smog plans to deliver insightful and interesting information about the battle and the battlers themselves.

How the Battle of the Week will work

This season there are three stages to the process.

Metagame Selection Stage: Users will be able to post whichever metagames they would like to see played, and the most popular choice after 24 hours is the one that will be used. Example metagames: DPP OU, ADV OU, RBY UU, VGC 2011.

Nominations Stage: Users will be able to submit nominations by posting up to three other Smogoners in the thread. Note that this means you cannot nominate yourself. To be eligible, the nominee must meet the following simple criteria:
    - must have an account on Smogon that has been online sometime during the last week
    - must not be on the [jump=listofpeople]list of users that don't want to or can't participate in the Battle of the Week[/jump]

If one of these conditions are not met but you think a nomination should be permitted, PM or otherwise contact me with reasons why. This stage will also last 24 hours.

Final Poll: The nominations will be counted, and the top ten most nominated players will be placed into a poll where everyone will be able to vote for any number of players in the pool. The two players that receives the most votes after 24 hours will be the battlers in the battle of the week. You may vote for yourself in this stage, unlike last year.

The battle will be scheduled, completed and recorded, and then the process will be repeated, with the program lasting for around ten 'weeks'.

Battles
    (DPP OU) Earthworm vs Gouki [Video] [Log]
    (BW OU) Kevin Garrett vs locopoke [Video] [Log]
    (ADV OU) G80 vs goofball [Video] [Log]
    (GSC OU) Umby vs Hipmonlee [Video] [Log]
    (RBY OU) husk vs Jackal [Video] [Log]
    (DP OU) Atticus vs Lady Bug [Video] [Log]
    (BW OU) Iconic vs Eo Ut Mortus [Video] [Log]
    (BW Ubers) Jibaku vs trickroom [Video] [Log]
    (DPP UU) Bluewind vs Eo Ut Mortus [Video] [Log]
    (VGC 2011) Huy vs OmegaDonut [Video] [Log]
    (BW OU) panamaxis vs Philip7086 [Video] [Log]
  2. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Factory Headis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

It's a shame NailsOU changed his vote... now he's the only one that predicted wrong :(

Anyways GG panaboss, it was fun :)
  3. panamaxis

panamaxis Allons-y!
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Actually 9,223,372,036,775,808 people were wrong but same difference right? GG Phil definitely a fun match.
  4. Philip7086

Philip7086 Myuu
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Factory Headis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

WTF BS, who is responsible for this treachery?
  5. Earthworm

Earthworm
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL + WCoP Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 6 Champion

The videos and logs for this week's battles should be up shortly, I'll leave this thread as a sticky until then. I hope everyone enjoyed this season, and if you have any feedback or comments, go ahead and post it here.
  6. muffinhead

muffinhead b202 wifi vgc
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Although watching the OU battles was fun, I wish to see more VGC (or any other tiers) votes in the future.
    Especially because stuff like Zoroark with Counter is viable ◕‿◕
  7. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

Interesting stat: Tournament Directors are undefeated.
  8. Stone_Cold

Stone_Cold
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

How badly did he hax you pana? Theres no way Phil got a legit win!
  9. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

this season sucked

i didn't get to battle and even worse eo battled twice

what is the world coming to
  10. Kevin Garrett

Kevin Garrett is a competitor
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 12 Championis a SPL Winner

I told people to vote for you jabba.
  11. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

oh no wonder i didn't win the poll
  12. Atticus

Atticus Atticus
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentis a SPL Winnerdefeated the Smogon Frontier

phil ties my elite record and jabba cant even prove his strength, not a good season at all...
  13. Alakapimp

Alakapimp All washed up
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Should've let me beat huy. :P
  14. symphonyx64

symphonyx64 Private messages are the best way to reach me
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

The battles from tonight's BOTW have now been uploaded to Youtube:

Huy vs. OmegaDonut

Phil vs. Panamaxis

If you have any issues about the music used, please forward your complaints to Huy and Phil :P.
  15. IronBullet93

IronBullet93 free as a bird
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

great job symphony!
  16. Huy

Huy INSTANT BALLS
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

OD definitely took me for a ride in game 2 @_@
  17. Nails

Nails EAST 2014
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Needs moar LC, the closest we got was Phil using Aron.
  18. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

that music got me so hot

edit: what the fuck happened to my postbit
  19. gookie

gookie Administrator
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

It was okay.
  20. Earthworm

Earthworm

All of the logs are up on site now thanks to Kevin Garrett and I, and the first Smog Article for this season is now up thanks to Eo Ut Mortus and the crew at The Smog. Nastyjungle has been doing the art you can see in the first 4-5 logs and in the article in The Smog, thanks very much for that! Thanks to the recorders (locopoke / symphonyx64 / StevenSnype) for getting the videos on YouTube quickly as well. I can't promise that there will be any more articles in The Smog for the other battles in the season, but there may be.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)