Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

The most common tailwind users i know are talonflame and charizard x, so pokemon who could wall these pokemon, bulky pokemon in general who dont really care about going last, will be sufficient. Hippowdon, or tyranitar maybe?

Priority users like for example bellydrum azumarril, but there are a lot of others are also good, or maybe even trick room cause tailwind adds speed and in trick room you will go first if you are slower, but priority and bulk are better in my opinion.
I have had problem with Tailwind Zapdos and Tailwind Suicune, neither of which I have been able to stop :E

I have had problem with Tailwind Zapdos and Tailwind Suicune, neither of which I have been able to stop :E
A strong offensive electric pokemon or move could work against them i think? I have a mega ampharos who can check both. Offensive rotom-wash can do well against them too i think. Are you playing doubles or singles btw?

Double, sorry for not clarifying
Oooh aha i already suspected that a bit haha, im doing singles. Speed is a lot more important in doubles and tailwind works for both members of the team of course so therefore tailwind is much stronger in doubles. Trick room is easier to accomplish in doubles though! But you need to have the right team for that.

Oooh aha i already suspected that a bit haha, im doing singles. Speed is a lot more important in doubles and tailwind works for both members of the team of course so therefore tailwind is much stronger in doubles. Trick room is easier to accomplish in doubles though! But you need to have the right team for that.
My team is Rotom-W, Landorus, Venusaur, Talonflame, Terrakion and Bisharp. Not really a team for Trick Room :P But I am working on breeding a Hail Room so maybe will do better with that

My team is Rotom-W, Landorus, Venusaur, Talonflame, Terrakion and Bisharp. Not really a team for Trick Room :P But I am working on breeding a Hail Room so maybe will do better with that
Is your rotom-w not capable of koing zapdos and suicune if you protect rotom wash with your other mon with things like follow me or fake out or mat block?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Spoonfairy if you need advice on speed control in doubles, try asking in the VGC forum. The two formats are exactly the same and we would rather all discussion of BS doubles go there

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The other day I was thinking about using an Alakazam set so I was on the PGL site and apparently Hippowdon is the number one teammate to Alakazam. Very surprising to me, any idea why this is? Obviously it can take hits while Alakazam can't, but there are a lot of other bulky Pokemon in this meta and they don't particularly share any type synergy at all either. I'm thinking the sandstorm might be part of it to wear down opponents. Any thoughts on this?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Could be that it's one of the best checks to Aegislash, considering that none of Alakazam's sets or moves can really trouble it (besides sub+encore I guess). It also checks a whole bunch of physical attackers that Zam can't effectively deal with like Kang, Landorus-T, boosted Dragonite, Mega Lucario and Scarf Garchomp. I think Aegislash is the biggest thing tho - I'd imagine most of those Hippowdown are specially defensive.

Last edited:
Could be that Hippo takes priority attacks (hi Gale Wings) that Alakazam really does not appreciate, and SR/Sandstorm helps break opposing sashes so Kazam does not need to worry about those. And Physical scafers w/out SE moves often fail to bypass Hippo's huge bulk (or DD pokes).

I'm theorymonning a core and want to build on it. I'm considering a Focus Sash Garchomp (with Stealth Rock, of all things) as a lead, with Rotom-W and Weakness Policy Aegislash as bulky pivots. I intend Mega Blaziken to be a mid- to late-game thwacker. I'd really like something to punch holes in opposing walls (maybe Hydreigon's Draco Meteor? take advantage of HydreSlash?). What would help pave the way for Blaziken, and Garchomp in a pinch, to get to work? And what glaring gaps in my own lineup should I patch?

I'm theorymonning a core and want to build on it. I'm considering a Focus Sash Garchomp (with Stealth Rock, of all things) as a lead, with Rotom-W and Weakness Policy Aegislash as bulky pivots. I intend Mega Blaziken to be a mid- to late-game thwacker. I'd really like something to punch holes in opposing walls (maybe Hydreigon's Draco Meteor? take advantage of HydreSlash?). What would help pave the way for Blaziken, and Garchomp in a pinch, to get to work? And what glaring gaps in my own lineup should I patch?
HydreSlash is such a good core! They have supreme typesynergy. Maybe charizard y is a problem for you? Rotom has 80% chance of dying to solarbeam if its physically defensive, aegislash gets wrecked by it of course and blaziken his stabs are resisted by char y. And it can have dragon pulse too so garchomp is not totally save.

HydreSlash is such a good core! They have supreme typesynergy. Maybe charizard y is a problem for you? Rotom has 80% chance of dying to solarbeam if its physically defensive, aegislash gets wrecked by it of course and blaziken his stabs are resisted by char y. And it can have dragon pulse too so garchomp is not totally save.
Since Garchomp's priority is to put up rocks, I'm not quite as worried about Charizard Y. In a faceoff against Char Y, Garchomp outspeeds, so that Dragon Pulse isn't going to touch Chomp unless there's miss hax.

I've been using Blaziken myself for a while, so I have some experience using it. One thing that Blaziken seriously struggles with is bulky water types, and Rotom-W can't deal with all of them, so I'd suggest a grass type to take them down to clear the path for Blaziken. Currently I use Serperior for them, but that's just because I have bias for it. If you're ok with giving the mega slot to another poke, Mega Venusaur would be great for the job. If that's a no-go, Roserade or Ferrothorn could be great for your team.

np Nida. As for you SimicCombine, Cresselia with 16-17 Speed EVs misses out on outspeeding 4 speed base 80s, like Mega Altaria and M-Venusaur. They aren't too important to outspeed, but it sorta gives you the upper hand if you face them. If you want outspeed them at the cost of bulk, run 28 Speed EVs if it has 17 speed IVs and 32 EVs if it has 16 Speed IVs.

np Nida. As for you SimicCombine, Cresselia with 16-17 Speed EVs misses out on outspeeding 4 speed base 80s, like Mega Altaria and M-Venusaur. They aren't too important to outspeed, but it sorta gives you the upper hand if you face them. If you want outspeed them at the cost of bulk, run 28 Speed EVs if it has 17 speed IVs and 32 EVs if it has 16 Speed IVs.
I don't think the imperfect IV matters too much because I think Venusaur usually runs some slight speed investment anyway. I don't know about bulky/special Altaria but the DD variants run speed as well. I think a lot of base 80s like Dragonite do too.

Has anybody here had experience with Mega Altaria? What set do you usually run and why?

I have an Altaria I've been using for the Battle Maison that is a DD set with EVs 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe, and I notice that a similar set is used about 5% of the time on the sim. The idea is that the bulk helps to set up, since after 2-3 DDs, it outspeeds everything of note in the Maison, but would a speedy attacking set be more advisable on the Battle Spot?

Just looking for some opinions before I EV-train my shiny Adamant Swablu :]

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Has anybody here had experience with Mega Altaria? What set do you usually run and why?

I have an Altaria I've been using for the Battle Maison that is a DD set with EVs 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe, and I notice that a similar set is used about 5% of the time on the sim. The idea is that the bulk helps to set up, since after 2-3 DDs, it outspeeds everything of note in the Maison, but would a speedy attacking set be more advisable on the Battle Spot?

Just looking for some opinions before I EV-train my shiny Swablu :]
I have a team that runs Agility/Roost/Hyper Voice/Fire Blast Mega Altaria, and it works really well as a bulky check to things like Serperior, Mega Charizard X and Blaziken but I find that I almost never get the chance to set up an Agility, and if I do, then I tend not to get very far with a sweep before I run into an Azumarill or a Talonflame or something that stops me cold. Because I'm running Agility, I don't need to run many Speed EVs (I think it's Modest 76? That outspeeds Mega Aero at +2 if memory serves) so I get to pump a lot of EVs into bulk - Dragon Dance can do the same but probably can't afford to aim for benchmarks that are quite so high. So yeah, I'm thinking that a bulky attacker set would be the best option for Mega Altaria, but obviously DD is still really potent n.n

e: played around with the calc and 164 Spe Adamant outspeeds 252+ Serperior if you want to start from there :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)