Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

Whats a good ev spread for adamant mega heracross? Not sure if it needs 252 speed on battle spot.
For Adamanr, it should have 252 Atk / 4 SpD (so that Porygon2 or Z would get a download boost in Attack instead of Special Attack) and the last 252 should go into Speed yes. This would allow Mega Heracross to outspeed a lot of unboosted Pokemon in the Speed tier.

Whats a good ev spread for adamant mega heracross? Not sure if it needs 252 speed on battle spot.
If you wanna be OG you can run 220 speed which outspeeds adamant base 70s with max investment, which is really all you need to be outspeeding anyway.

For Adamanr, it should have 252 Atk / 4 SpD (so that Porygon2 or Z would get a download boost in Attack instead of Special Attack) and the last 252 should go into Speed yes. This would allow Mega Heracross to outspeed a lot of unboosted Pokemon in the Speed tier.
Actually, Heracross doesn't have equal defense stats. So even with that 4 SpD, your defense is still higher than SpD so Porygon will still get a special attack raise.

Soooo, if you wanted to be super OG you can run a spread of 204 Atk/84 SpD/220 Spe. Which outspeeds base 70s and ensures Porygon2 gets an Attack raise.

But i don't think that's necessary cause you kinda shit on p2 anyway :) so 36 HP/252 Atk/220 Spe is a decent option. Not a lot of HP but I think that's a nice speed tier to hit and Mega Hera is naturally bulky. You could also consider running Jolly since a decent amount of brelooms run Jolly and you can ohko through sash. But Adamant is still the most common so I wouldn't sweat it if you're set on Adamant for your hera.

But i don't think that's necessary cause you kinda shit on p2 anyway :) so 36 HP/252 Atk/220 Spe is a decent option. Not a lot of HP but I think that's a nice speed tier to hit and Mega Hera is naturally bulky. You could also consider running Jolly since a decent amount of brelooms run Jolly and you can ohko through sash. But Adamant is still the most common so I wouldn't sweat it if you're set on Adamant for your hera.
To be quite honest, I'm going to keep that in mind when I try out Mega Heracross at least once in my lifetime. It'll happen sooner or later. XD

Hey guys, I've been wanting to run a Mega Charizard X on my team. Problem is, I'm not sure on what sets are the best for it anymore. It seems like DD isn't that much of a choice anymore, and SD and Flame Charge are very common now. What's a good set for it in ORAS Battle Spot Singles?

EDIT: I'm kinda confused on a moveset for Kangaskhan as well, since it's so versatile. Any tips there?

ZardX: SD, FC, FB, DC/Outrage is a set. Alternatively, dual dance (Tailwind and SD) with STAB works. DD is still good don't count it out even if it's less common. Bulky SpDef Roost WoW Sets are legit too.

Khan: imo Ice Punch, Double-Edge, EQ, RS is the best set but for most sets, I say the minimum moves you should have are eq and double-edge. Only consider facade/return on sets/teams that have something like PuP to bolster the Attack stat. The remaining two moves are completely up to you. Ice Punch lets you nail the common otherwise check of Lando-T and the most common mon in the format, Garchomp, as well as clutch FRZ. Rock Slide gives you incredible Ice/Rock/Ground coverage as well as the significant likelihood to flinch walls (and other similar slower mons that can't be OHKOd with other moves) to OHKO range or simply to death.

ZardX: SD, FC, FB, DC/Outrage is a set. Alternatively, dual dance (Tailwind and SD) with STAB works. DD is still good don't count it out even if it's less common. Bulky SpDef Roost WoW Sets are legit too.

Khan: imo Ice Punch, Double-Edge, EQ, RS is the best set but for most sets, I say the minimum moves you should have are eq and double-edge. Only consider facade/return on sets/teams that have something like PuP to bolster the Attack stat. The remaining two moves are completely up to you. Ice Punch lets you nail the common otherwise check of Lando-T and the most common mon in the format, Garchomp, as well as clutch FRZ. Rock Slide gives you incredible Ice/Rock/Ground coverage as well as the significant likelihood to flinch walls (and other similar slower mons that can't be OHKOd with other moves) to OHKO range or simply to death.
Thanks for enlightening me on those pokes. Just a question, would those two typically run bulk or speed? Adamant seems more common according to PGL for both, so should I invest more in HP or Speed for these two? Also, what would anyone consider to be the best MegaZardX set out of the few you mentioned, if you have any opinion on it?

Creeper3971 What do you want it to be for your team? You can go max attack and max speed for if you really need to damage your opponent quickly but Charizard X already has such great base attack and tough claws boosts your stab moves so I would go for a bit more bulk, but I just like pokemon who are bulky attackers xd.

Like for example, if you have spore breloom as a teammate, you want charizard x to do a lot of damage really quick, until the opponent wakes up or switches, so in that case you want max attack, but if your team is kinda weak to certain threats and you need some bulk on your charizard for that you can put more effort into bulk.

Last edited:
Hey! I think it would be nice to battle eachother in this forum! Should i make a thread for it to make appointments in that thread? Or should we better do that here? Anyone who wants to battle btw?

What nature is best for CM/Sub/Roost/Psyshock(or Stored Power) Mega Latias?
I'm almost 100% positive the best nature is Bold for M-Latias. Most people invest enough speed to outrun netural natured base 100s (Megazard Y, Mega Kangaskhan, etc.) with Bold M-Latias. The rest of the evs left are invested in HP and Def iirc.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What nature is best for CM/Sub/Roost/Psyshock(or Stored Power) Mega Latias?
Just looking at the usage stats on the PGL, Latiasite is held by 54% of Latias, while Timid is used on 95.7% of them (with Bold at 1.6%). This would suggest that the best nature for Mega Latias is actually Timid. The move usage reflects this, with Calm Mind, Psyshock, Substitute and Recover being in the top 5 moves. I'm not sure on the optimum EV spread, but I know that fast support sets use 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe. All that aside, just because it's popular doesn't mean it's the best. I would have thought that Bold with HP and Def investment would be the best (that's what I use anyway. I think I had some speed investment but can't remember, need to recheck)

edit: Yep I was running the suggested spread from OU (adjusted for level 50 though) which was Bold 244 HP / 84 Def / 180 Spe which, like Creeper said, outspeeds neutral base speed 100s. The same spread can be used with Timid to outspeed positive base 100s, which may be similar to what the stats on the PGL are showing.

Last edited:
So, starting last Wednesday ((i think)) i started getting this issue. Any time i tried to do a Rating Battle in doubles, i would get "An opposing Trainer could not be found" message every time i tried to do a rating battle. The strange thing was that i can still do Free Battles perfectly fine. For some reason, i just can't find a opponent in Rating Battles. Now, its not a issue of my rating being to low or anything. My rating on AS is 1531, so it isn't to low to find opponents. I mean every once in a while ((like once a day)) i can get into a rating battle but the other 99 times i try i always get the above message.

So, figuring it might be a issue with my save file on AS, i went and bought a copy of OR yesterday. After playing until i got the Mega Bracelet, i then transferred all of my VGC pokes over to OR. It worked perfectly fine until about 2 in the morning last night when i started getting "An opposing Trainer could not be found.". I figured this was just because of how late it was in the night. So, i wake up and give it a shot today ((its 3 in the afternoon for me.)). I seem to be having the same issue i was having with AS on my brand new copy of OR now. Anyone have any clue as to why this is going on?

I've tried disconnecting my router and reconnecting it. I even removed my connecting in my internet setting and added it back. Still having the same issue. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my global account on pokemon global link

Oh, and right now this is only happening on doubles. Apparently i can do rating battles for singles and all of the other battle types, just not for Doubles. I've also done some research on the subject and from what i've noticed, a few people have had this problem but no one came up with any answers that i could find.

Anyone have any clue as to why this is going on?
By any chance, did you see any error codes, or was the game simply saying "Can't find opponents"? If there were error codes, please tell us when they showed and what they were. Also, if possible I think posting screenshots would help us to better visualize though as you said, this is an issue few if anyone at all would know how to fix. But by doing that hopefully we can help to the best of our ability!

edit: Also, can you try playing other 3ds games online using that 3ds and see how those work? If it is an issue with your 3ds hardware then the non-Pokemon games should show some issues as well.

Last edited:
Ya I recognized you right away :)

But yeah, did you try doing the other stuff I mentioned in the previous post such as playing non-Pokemon games online to see how those internet gameplay work out for you so we can see if maybe it's a hardware issue?

Well, OR and AS are the only ones i have for the 3DS. However, the interesting thing is that this only applies to Doubles right now. I went into a singles rating battle and got a opponent right away. So its leading me to believe that it has something to do with my global account. Oh, and on both games i have no issues finding players in Free Battles, which Free Battles has nothing to do with your global account.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've had this happen before although no where near as bad as what you're describing. It's simply due to traffic not being high enough to match you up with someone with a similar rating to yours. Obviously this game is played worldwide so this seems like it should never happen, but when you take into account your rating (and how the match making system works) and timezones, it starts to make sense. I have a similar timezone to the Japanese so I never really have trouble finding matches unless I'm up really late (I'm talking 2-3am+) since they're all asleep and the US are still waking up (and it's just after midday for the UK). There are obviously still people playing but the game looks for players who are also searching for a battle at the same time, while narrowing down the results to someone with a similar rating to yours. So if there's no one with a similar rating looking for a battle at the exact same time as you then you'll simply be told that none can be found.

tl;dr - I just think you're getting unlucky, rather than it being a technical problem. Either take a break and try again later, or try to coordinate your timezone to that of countries that are bound to be playing (ie: Japan / Korea / US)

I've had this happen before although no where near as bad as what you're describing. It's simply due to traffic not being high enough to match you up with someone with a similar rating to yours. Obviously this game is played worldwide so this seems like it should never happen, but when you take into account your rating (and how the match making system works) and timezones, it starts to make sense. I have a similar timezone to the Japanese so I never really have trouble finding matches unless I'm up really late (I'm talking 2-3am+) since they're all asleep and the US are still waking up (and it's just after midday for the UK). There are obviously still people playing but the game looks for players who are also searching for a battle at the same time, while narrowing down the results to someone with a similar rating to yours. So if there's no one with a similar rating looking for a battle at the exact same time as you then you'll simply be told that none can be found.

tl;dr - I just think you're getting unlucky, rather than it being a technical problem. Either take a break and try again later, or try to coordinate your timezone to that of countries that are bound to be playing (ie: Japan / Korea / US)
See, the issue with that is that it doesn't make sense that it would happen for a week straight and then stop as soon as i buy a new game only to start again later that night. Its just strange that i never have a issue finding a opponent in free battles. Also, i don't think its a time of day issue since i'm not trying it at the same time every day. It happening for every hour of the day that i'm awake. No, i don't think its a issue with there not being enough people to play. Especially when i can be watching a streamer get opponents at the same time that i'm trying and not getting them.

Also, i doubt its a rating issue. That rating in the picture is just on OR. My rating on AS is 1531 and i'm still getting the same issue. There are a lot of 1500 players out there.

Why is Salamence the #1 most used partner for Volcarona (and vice versa)? What pokemon form a good core with Volcarona/ are the most helpful in facilitating a sweep for it?

Volcarona is a fairy and ice resist and is 1 of the best Quiver Dancers in the game! It is seriously one of the best non-Mega offensive fairy resists out there too! This thing is just as frightening with specs and doesn't even need to QD up. Its coverage is awesome too as it has Grass and Fire in the form of giga drain and its many Fire STAB (fiery dance for bulky spreads <3) and then it can run any Hidden Power type depending on whther you want to clobber heatrans or dragons (hp ground vs ice) and then STAB bug buzz as an option to hit through substitute and nail Cresselia and TTar super-effectively

edit: The fact that it's a specially offensive powerhouse, a relatively rare occurrence compared to the myriad of viable physical sluggers, makes it that much more valuable and amazing!

edit 2: Volcarona forms a great core with Mega Sableye as Volcarona resist Fairy and with the right spread, can deal with non-Physical Fairies reliably. Volcarona can check a non-set up MMawile as well and flame body can always come in clutch especially vs contact Physical Attackers like Kangaskhan.
Mega Absol and Volcarona as well as Mega Gallade and Volcarona might be cores you want to mess around. Also, like any Flying-weak Pokemon, Zapdos makes a great core with Volcarona more so because it is a Fire type so similar to how it's amazing for Blaziken, Zapdos is an immense help for Volcarona dealing with Mence, Talonflames, MPinsir, Azumarill, etc.

So I was digging through my videos and found this 1 a really good show of Zapdos + Volcarona definitely check out if interested:

Last edited:
So, starting last Wednesday ((i think)) i started getting this issue. Any time i tried to do a Rating Battle in doubles, i would get "An opposing Trainer could not be found" message every time i tried to do a rating battle. The strange thing was that i can still do Free Battles perfectly fine. For some reason, i just can't find a opponent in Rating Battles. Now, its not a issue of my rating being to low or anything. My rating on AS is 1531, so it isn't to low to find opponents. I mean every once in a while ((like once a day)) i can get into a rating battle but the other 99 times i try i always get the above message.

So, figuring it might be a issue with my save file on AS, i went and bought a copy of OR yesterday. After playing until i got the Mega Bracelet, i then transferred all of my VGC pokes over to OR. It worked perfectly fine until about 2 in the morning last night when i started getting "An opposing Trainer could not be found.". I figured this was just because of how late it was in the night. So, i wake up and give it a shot today ((its 3 in the afternoon for me.)). I seem to be having the same issue i was having with AS on my brand new copy of OR now. Anyone have any clue as to why this is going on?

I've tried disconnecting my router and reconnecting it. I even removed my connecting in my internet setting and added it back. Still having the same issue. I'm wondering if it has something to do with my global account on pokemon global link

Oh, and right now this is only happening on doubles. Apparently i can do rating battles for singles and all of the other battle types, just not for Doubles. I've also done some research on the subject and from what i've noticed, a few people have had this problem but no one came up with any answers that i could find.
I have this problem in Doubles a lot too. I just assumed it was how things were and not a problem. My ranking is always low, so I just figured it could be that there just aren't a lot of people who suck as much as me/who still have a fresh ranking mid-season. On the other hand, ranking doesn't seem to be too big of an issue, as I get matched up with people +200 of my ranking quite frequently, and I would assume that there are a fairly decent amount of people in that range.... I've run into this issue on both my 3DS and New 3DS XL and multiple cartridges, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Still, I think it might mostly be due to ranking, as my ranking is often around the rank in your screenshot when I encounter this. With the new game, your ranking would have started at the same place as everyone else starting, so you probably found some other opponents who were just starting to play. After battling a bit, the updated ranking may have fallen within within the "there aren't many people in this ranking range" category.

..And at the same time, this doesn't explain why I've gotten matched up with 1600 people when I'm in the 1400's.... Surely there are more people in the 1400-1600 range other than me. I also frequently fight Japanese people at like 2 PM Central. -.-

tldr; I think there's a reason it's called BS

Last edited:

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It might have to do with the most recent patch. I had had some issues connecting with other people on Battle Spot ever since the update, and the win or loss wasn't recorded so it's probably an error on the server side. It also only happens when I play someone from outside my country for some reason...

I have this problem in Doubles a lot too. I just assumed it was how things were and not a problem. My ranking is always low, so I just figured it could be that there just aren't a lot of people who suck as much as me/who still have a fresh ranking mid-season. On the other hand, ranking doesn't seem to be too big of an issue, as I get matched up with people +200 of my ranking quite frequently, and I would assume that there are a fairly decent amount of people in that range.... I've run into this issue on both my 3DS and New 3DS XL and multiple cartridges, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Still, I think it might mostly be due to ranking, as my ranking is often around the rank in your screenshot when I encounter this. With the new game, your ranking would have started at the same place as everyone else starting, so you probably found some other opponents who were just starting to play. After battling a bit, the updated ranking may have fallen within within the "there aren't many people in this ranking range" category.

..And at the same time, this doesn't explain why I've gotten matched up with 1600 people when I'm in the 1400's.... Surely there are more people in the 1400-1600 range other than me. I also frequently fight Japanese people at like 2 PM Central. -.-

tldr; I think there's a reason it's called BS
After calling up Nintendo and talking to them for a while, they finally got me thinking the right direction and i was able to figure out what was going on, on my end. Essentially for me, i'm using a Netgear router and my ISP doesn't use the most up-to-date software for the router. Because of this, the firewall settings on the router can cause some issues when my 3DS tries to connect to the Nintendo Battle Spot servers. So, what i had to do was go into the router's software and set up a Demilitarized Zone ((DMZ)). What this is is a area where the firewall isn't present. Once done i needed to set a port on the router to sit inside of this DMZ and then go into my 3DS and set it to connect to the internet using this port. Once done i stopped having the issue of always getting the "An opposing Trainer could not be found." message.

After calling up Nintendo and talking to them for a while, they finally got me thinking the right direction and i was able to figure out what was going on, on my end. Essentially for me, i'm using a Netgear router and my ISP doesn't use the most up-to-date software for the router. Because of this, the firewall settings on the router can cause some issues when my 3DS tries to connect to the Nintendo Battle Spot servers. So, what i had to do was go into the router's software and set up a Demilitarized Zone ((DMZ)). What this is is a area where the firewall isn't present. Once done i needed to set a port on the router to sit inside of this DMZ and then go into my 3DS and set it to connect to the internet using this port. Once done i stopped having the issue of always getting the "An opposing Trainer could not be found." message.
I've heard of setting up DMZ to fix various wifi issues. Might try it myself when I have the chance. ;)

I recently got a new router and was estatic that it let me battle period. Before that, I constantly got disconnected to the point of being unable to play BS at all, so the inability to find opponents half of the time didn't really bother me. Finding someone 1 out of 10 times and always being able to finish the battle was far superior to finding someone more frequently but only being able to complete the battle 1/10 of the time. xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)