Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

I have some problems with scizor. I am planning to maybe run fire blast on clefable but clefable can only check it if it almost runs no hp or spdef investment. I saw on battlespot that scizor almost always runs adamant, but do you know how many scizors are invested in bulk and special defense? Or do you think its still worth it even if i cant ohko with clefable, for the switch ins or if it already has some prior damage? I know run heal bell on clefable but i dont use it too often.
It honestly depends. What's your Clefable set?

Is Politoed viable in Singles? I checked viability rankings and didn't find it (there looks to be no Kingdra as well - rain not good on the ladder?).

If Politoed is viable, what's the best nature + EV spread for it? I'm wanting to breed one and try it out is all.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help; I don't play much.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Max defense with safety goggles and
Moonblast
Wish
Heal bell
Protect
Full clerics have almost zero use in 3v3 as you're almost going in 2v3. If you wanna use Clefable in BSS then it's best use is a Mininize + Calm Mind set. It's also got other uses such as T-Wave support or Stealth Rock setter. It also gets Lunar Dance so it can get something crippled in for free rather than Heal Belling + Wish Passing...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is Mega Sableye good in 3v3? If so, what's a good set, and what are good teammates?
Well Sableye didn't show up in last season's top 50 most used, however that surprises me because I swear I run into it way more often than Cloyster, Mega Lopunny or Whimsicott, and its viability is higher than those things too (we have it in B+ in our rankings thread). I think it's definitely one of the most under-utilised Megas in the metagame right now. Prankster WoW, Calm Mind and Recover allows it to boost quickly infront of plenty of threats, and gets Magic Bounce to ward off any walls that want to try and Toxic you or something..

Here's its most common set:

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Snarl

Full clerics have almost zero use in 3v3 as you're almost going in 2v3. If you wanna use Clefable in BSS then it's best use is a Mininize + Calm Mind set. It's also got other uses such as T-Wave support or Stealth Rock setter. It also gets Lunar Dance so it can get something crippled in for free rather than Heal Belling + Wish Passing...
Okey, i decided to exchange wish for healing wish on my unaware clefable (lunar dance has the same use) and heal bell for fire blast. Obviously i need moonblast stab, but i am torn for the last move. Moonlight is not an option as I have sand and hail in my team, so what remains is calm mind, minimize, cosmic power, thunder wave, stealth rock. I already have a calm mind user, my reuniclus, but maybe i can echange calm mind from reuniclus for another move. I am not sure about minimize, cosmic power seems cool in cojunction with unaware, but i read on the smogon page that you should not use it. T-wave seems cool, cause all my pokemon are pretty slow and then maybe will outspeed it, and stealth rock is something not really necessary cause i already have sand and hail to break sashes and also have rock-type coverage that can ohko four times weak pokemon.

What about swagger btw? Hurt in confusion will hit harder, but thanks to unaware attacks at clefable will not be harder.

Last edited:
Okey, i decided to exchange wish for healing wish on my unaware clefable (lunar dance has the same use) and heal bell for fire blast. Obviously i need moonblast stab, but i am torn for the last move. Moonlight is not an option as I have sand and hail in my team, so what remains is calm mind, minimize, cosmic power, thunder wave, stealth rock. I already have a calm mind user, my reuniclus, but maybe i can echange calm mind from reuniclus for another move. I am not sure about minimize, cosmic power seems cool in cojunction with unaware, but i read on the smogon page that you should not use it. T-wave seems cool, cause all my pokemon are pretty slow and then maybe will outspeed it, and stealth rock is something not really necessary cause i already have sand and hail to break sashes and also have rock-type coverage that can ohko four times weak pokemon.

What about swagger btw? Hurt in confusion will hit harder, but thanks to unaware attacks at clefable will not be harder.
SwagPlay is usually better on Prankster users, such as Thundurus or Klefki.

Can a mod update the OP removing the KB clause?

cs edit: since it was written during XY when the pentagon rule is the same as now I don't see why it needs changing..

Last edited by a moderator:
SwagPlay is usually better on Prankster users, such as Thundurus or Klefki.

Can a mod update the OP removing the KB clause?

cs edit: since it was written during XY when the pentagon rule is the same as now I don't see why it needs changing..
Do you have an opinion about the other moves though? calm mind, minimize, cosmic power, thunder wave, stealth rock

Do you have an opinion about the other moves though? calm mind, minimize, cosmic power, thunder wave, stealth rock
Hello I'm Potato!
I've seen thunder wave stealth rock healing wish on a high ladder opponent's clefable before.
Minimize moonlight moonblast calm mind is staple holding a kee berry. I have never seen a cosmic power variant on cart. If i did it was probably so irrelevant I wouldn't recommend it haha do what you want tho

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
What's a good Calm Mind Sylveon set?
Sylveon @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 4 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
IVs: 31/x/31/30/30/31
Modest / Bold Nature (respectively)
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power Ground
- Rest

edit: and I'm the one that goes around here fixing people's lv 50 spreads all the time, whoops!

Last edited:
Sylveon @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD or 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Modest / Bold Nature (respectively)
- Calm Mind
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power Ground
- Rest
Those EVs don't take into account Hidden Power IVs at Level 50. The spreads should be:
  1. 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD (IVs: 30/0/30/31/30/30)
  2. 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe (IVs: 31/0/31/30/30/31)

Last edited:
Battle Spot Singles:

Is Chesnaught a thing? It does well against Khan, Landog, Garchomp, Ferrothorn, Garydos, and a few other things. Has Spikes if you're into that.
I have this Chespin laying around from foreverago and randomly decied to try and do something useful with it; not seeing much point to throwing it into Doubles.

Battle Spot Singles:

Is Chesnaught a thing? It does well against Khan, Landog, Garchomp, Ferrothorn, Garydos, and a few other things. Has Spikes if you're into that.
I have this Chespin laying around from foreverago and randomly decied to try and do something useful with it; not seeing much point to throwing it into Doubles.
It's not a thing that you'd normally see people using. You could possibly make it work but like, it cant switch directly into mega kang. And theres better pokemon that can deal with kanga/chomp, and being 4x weak to flying means you cant double as a mence check like some of them either.

It's main niche imo is its ability, making it a decentish aegislash check, but even then subtoxic aegi fucks you over still.

Hi, I've never tried doing any battling really, so I thought I'd give Battle Spot Singles a shot in XY. I'm trying to come up with a team to start me off, so far I was thinking:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Quiet Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Shadow Sneak

- King's Shield

- Sacred Sword

Hydreigon @ Life Orb

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Mild Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Dark Pulse

- Flash Cannon

- Superpower

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak

Ability: Gale Wings

EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Brave Bird

- Flare Blitz

- Swords Dance

- Will-O-Wisp

Any changes you suggest I should make? Also, I was hoping I could get some advice for what I should use to fill out the 3 backup slots. Thanks :)

Hi, I've never tried doing any battling really, so I thought I'd give Battle Spot Singles a shot in XY. I'm trying to come up with a team to start me off, so far I was thinking:

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy

Ability: Stance Change

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Quiet Nature

- Shadow Ball

- Shadow Sneak

- King's Shield

- Sacred Sword

Hydreigon @ Life Orb

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Mild Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Dark Pulse

- Flash Cannon

- Superpower

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak

Ability: Gale Wings

EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe

Adamant Nature

- Brave Bird

- Flare Blitz

- Swords Dance

- Will-O-Wisp

Any changes you suggest I should make? Also, I was hoping I could get some advice for what I should use to fill out the 3 backup slots. Thanks :)
Scarf garchomp kills all three of your pokemon. Find a counter for him. I would go for a defensive pokemon with ice beam like Cresselia, Porygon2, Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, and Suicune. Or use ferrothorn with iron barbs or skarmory or even the superbulky avalugg who can live all of garchomps moves with less than 50% damage and ko with avalanche.

Last edited:
Scarf garchomp kills all three of your pokemon. Find a counter for him. I would go for a defensive pokemon with ice beam like Cresselia, Porygon2, Slowbro, Mega Slowbro, and Suicune. Or use ferrothorn with iron barbs or skarmory or even the superbulky avalugg who can live all of garchomps moves with less than 50% damage and ko with avalanche.
Landog is another option for dealing with Chomp.

I've heard clerics are pretty cruddy in BSS, but would you say you should NEVER have a move like Wish or Aromatherapy. What about Haze/Clear Smog? I ask because, a) I absolutely adore Wish, b) Lunar Dance(a move which kind of fits with the whole cleric thing,) is considered a viable option on Cresselia(and for good reason.) c) I'm kind of terrified about status and stat-boosters in general, and d) you bothered to say "full clerics," which leads me to believe a Pokemon or two with just one of the aforementioned moves on your team is OK(you're only using three of the six anyways.)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I've heard clerics are pretty cruddy in BSS, but would you say you should NEVER have a move like Wish or Aromatherapy. What about Haze/Clear Smog? I ask because, a) I absolutely adore Wish, b) Lunar Dance(a move which kind of fits with the whole cleric thing,) is considered a viable option on Cresselia(and for good reason.) c) I'm kind of terrified about status and stat-boosters in general, and d) you bothered to say "full clerics," which leads me to believe a Pokemon or two with just one of the aforementioned moves on your team is OK(you're only using three of the six anyways.)
A lot of Pokemon just use ChestoRest to get themselves out of a tricky situation rather than Wish / Protect / Aromatherapy. Or they have a Lum Berry and maybe even Taunt or something.

As for stat boosters; (one of) the reason(s) Thundurus is so popular is because it can cripple a booster with priority Thunder Wave, and Talonflame can usually pick something off with Brave Bird. Focus Sash is really common as a way of ranking a boosted move and retaliating back. There's also Unaware Clefable which doesn't care about boosters and can use them to boost its own stats. The are so many ways of messing up boosters without having to resort to Haze / Clear Smog.

Lunar Dance isn't really comparable to Wish / Aromatherapy / other cleric-y things imo, it compacts all the roles into one move and allows the target Pokemon to get in absolutely free, so it's on a completely other level (that and because Cresselia can usually afford the moveslot since it really only needs Toxic/Thunder Wave, Moonlight and an attacking move to be effective).

tl;dr - a lot of the common roles seen in 6v6 such as clerics / stat phasers etc. are seriously compacted into smaller roles here in 3v3, a lot of the time you won't even be able to bring something like that at all, which is why status and stat boosting is so powerful here.

A lot of Pokemon just use ChestoRest to get themselves out of a tricky situation rather than Wish / Protect / Aromatherapy. Or they have a Lum Berry and maybe even Taunt or something.

As for stat boosters; (one of) the reason(s) Thundurus is so popular is because it can cripple a booster with priority Thunder Wave, and Talonflame can usually pick something off with Brave Bird. Focus Sash is really common as a way of ranking a boosted move and retaliating back. There's also Unaware Clefable which doesn't care about boosters and can use them to boost its own stats. The are so many ways of messing up boosters without having to resort to Haze / Clear Smog.

Lunar Dance isn't really comparable to Wish / Aromatherapy / other cleric-y things imo, it compacts all the roles into one move and allows the target Pokemon to get in absolutely free, so it's on a completely other level (that and because Cresselia can usually afford the moveslot since it really only needs Toxic/Thunder Wave, Moonlight and an attacking move to be effective).

tl;dr - a lot of the common roles seen in 6v6 such as clerics / stat phasers etc. are seriously compacted into smaller roles here in 3v3, a lot of the time you won't even be able to bring something like that at all, which is why status and stat boosting is so powerful here.
I'm trying to get a Pokemon that checks/counters Mega Kanga while also being immune to sleep(my Chesto Berry user loses to most sleep-inducers, or at least it's not a very solid answer to them.) I'd prefer that it can either cure the team of strus(my team hates everything but paralysis-you'll see when I do another RMT,) or ruin stat boosting Pokes. Thundurus clashes with a Trick Room team, so I don't want that, I'll consider a Focus Sash user-edit later

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Mega Sableye is your best bet at doing that, since it is one of the best Mega Kanga counters in the game and blocks every sleeping move due to Magic Bounce. It can also mess up certain stat boosting mons due to Foul Play, and cripple stuff with Wisp.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Another option is Rocky Helmet Serperior, which can set up a Reflect on Kangaskhan and take it's hits while healing off the damage with Synthesis. It blocks Sleep Powder and Spore with it's Grass typing, but you don't have anything for Hypnosis or Dark Void.

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Contrary
Level: 50
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Glare
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm

cs edit: your spread didn't beat kang so I fixed it

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Mega Sableye is your best bet at doing that, since it is one of the best Mega Kanga counters in the game and blocks every sleeping move due to Magic Bounce. It can also mess up certain stat boosting mons due to Foul Play, and cripple stuff with Wisp.
Heck, even regular sableye works well against kang, and you can prankster taunt anything that carries a sleeping move (except for, like, grasswhistle whimsicott), although you won't be able to switch into them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)