Battle Spot - Simple Questions and Answers

So I've always thought bringing two megas was a good idea and dare I say, near essential.

But I'm now leaning towards having Lucario plus Hippo & Dragonite then Swagplay and two of (Sp Def) Talonflame, (Solid Snake) Serp. Possible alternates include Chomp or Mamo.)

This gets rid of any concerns that I've had with severe weakness stacking and I know I don't have to bring a Mega....

This is just some rambling that I didn't want to put on my RMT. The question I have is this. Good idea or not?
Is running just one mega a good idea, you mean?
Sure, nothing wrong with that, even if you run something with a Mega available and no stone. Mega Khan / Sash Gengar / Lum Garchomp / Shuca Heatran / Pixie Sylveon / Sp. Def Talonflame has a giant Suicune problem three potential Megas, but Mega Chompy is rather rare even on a Sand team, and Gengar can certainly function without a Mega stone while also bluffing a Mega Khan + Mega Gengar squad.

I ran Charizard + Chompy + Heracross just a few days ago; only one of them is Mega. Doubles, I see plenty of high ranked teams with just a single Mega (Khan or Gardevoir, mainly).

HipDraLuc also has a real Suicune issue. I've theorymonned a team filled out with LO mixed Blaziken and Gengar in addition to Klefki.

Gengar will need Thunderbolt or E-Ball I think and it doesn't need Gengarite. Serperior seems a viable alternative.

I did have an interesting run with M-Heracross & something. But that team felt slow.

Last edited:
HipDraLuc also has a real Suicune issue. I've theorymonned a team filled out with LO mixed Blaziken and Gengar in addition to Klefki.

Gengar will need Thunderbolt or E-Ball I think and it doesn't need Gengarite. Serperior seems a viable alternative.

I did have an interesting run with M-Heracross & something. But that team felt slow.
Hmm, I've been using a HipDraLuc core lately in singles and never really noticed, as I've not had much of a Suicune issue with my particular team. I'm using a Rotom-W and a Calm Mind Chesto-Rest Snore Sylveon that can both deal with most Cune 1 on 1 in most situations. Now that you mention it, that core alone does have issues with Suicune, though. I probably should have mentioned it in my post about it. Heh.

PumpedAaron Well, to keep it short: the one and only thing Machamp has going for him over Conkeldur is No Guard which means 100% accurate Stone Edge and Dynamic Punch for great coverage and damage with those two moves alone, making up a great Choice Scarf/Band set. Now, as a Guts user, Machamp is stric and objectively inferior to Conkeldur and here's why:

-140 base attack > 130 base attack
-STAB Mach Punch > Bullet Punch
-105/95/65 bulk > 90/80/85 bulk
-Conk has access to Drain Punch, meaning it won't get as worn out by residual damage.
The slighly higher speed won't even matter at all as it is still incredibly low even if fully invested; you'll have to take a hit most of the time, so longetivity is a big deal.

Honestly, not to sound rude or anything, but low ladder replays should never be used imo. Your opponent was just plain bad and wasted every single opportunity he had to deal with your Machamp, and he had plenty.

Xander of Nohr yes, you've mentioned a lot of the same arguments that people on PS chat made against me, too. Its interesting that you mentioned the lack of high-ranking of the replay as a good reason why it shouldn't be trusted. I will say, in 3DS wifi Battlespot, where your opponent's team isn't neatly arranged in colorful icons throughout the whole battle, its harder to make predictions. In light of this fact, Machamp would probably have a worse time under that kind of pressure.

The stats and moves arguments don't feel convincing to me, but you have reminded me of my lack of raw DS footage, and that's something I should definitely try to address.

Machamp vs Conkeldurr pros and cons?

Yeah, not exactly a simple question but... =( y'see, with my recent PS Battlespot Singles replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlespotsingles-368987615 waifu sweep

I sparked a mildly volatile discussion about Machamp vs. Conkeldurr, and many people disagreed strongly about having Guts on Machamp instead of No Guard.
PumpedAaron Well, to keep it short: the one and only thing Machamp has going for him over Conkeldur is No Guard which means 100% accurate Stone Edge and Dynamic Punch for great coverage and damage with those two moves alone, making up a great Choice Scarf/Band set. Now, as a Guts user, Machamp is stric and objectively inferior to Conkeldur and here's why:

<moved>

Honestly, not to sound rude or anything, but low ladder replays should never be used imo. Your opponent was just plain bad and wasted every single opportunity he had to deal with your Machamp, and he had plenty.
"Objectively inferior"
Oh no, this has to be dismantled. Both are great, but for different reasons. The mass hate on Guts Champ.

-140 base attack > 130 base attack

At face value yes. But bigger stats don't always mean heavier hits. Let's take a good example between Mega Alakazam and Sylveon. 175 Sp. Atk towers over Sylveon's 110, obvious?
252 SpA Mega Alakazam Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 96-114 (53 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Pixie Plate Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Kangaskhan: 118-139 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And despite a huge, huge 65 point gap, Sylveon's higher Base power lets it exceed Mega Zammy very significantly. Never mind non-Mega Alakazam's very respectable 135. Machamp and Conk have a much smaller gap.
In Machamp's defense, it has its ever-legendary Dynamicpunch, which hits quite a bit harder than Conkeldurr's Drain Punch and wins matchups it has no business winning. On the Guts set, Machamp has a very powerful Close Combat that Conkeldurr can't match; I think everyone understands the Superpower vs Close Combat argument. So on raw damage output and 1/2HKO power, Machamp has a huuuge lead. In terms of long-term survivability, yes, Conk has the clear long-term advantage. So do you want power, or durability? You have two choices and two beasts. If you want to rip something in half, CB Machamp's Close Combat is a good way to do it. Objectively, Machamp hits like a train; better or worse is subjective.

-STAB Mach Punch > Bullet Punch

Yes.

-105/95/65 bulk > 90/80/85 bulk

Conk has significantly better physical bulk. Machamp has better Special bulk. Both can run AV. Conk is just as easy to outrun and 2HKO if you aren't spamming Drain Punch (ie, Gengar or a mispredicted switchin). Neither one switches into Khan. Both tank it and KO it on a double switch or other clean switch.

-Conk has access to Drain Punch, meaning it won't get as worn out by residual damage.

Yes, Drain Punch is one of Conkeldurr's biggest selling points. If you want a Fighting type that sticks around, Conk is great. If you want something more explosive.

The slighly higher speed won't even matter at all as it is still incredibly low even if fully invested; you'll have to take a hit most of the time, so longetivity is a big deal.

Both slow yeah. Machamp has just barely enough to run Scarf at least. ScarfConk sweep would be a sight to behold though not gonna lie.

tl;dr Machamp hits a shiton harder with Guts, actually baits WoW, and can run Scarf. Guess it has some surprise value to it.
Conk sticks around a lot longer. Power or durability, take your pick.
Not saying Machamp is better or Conk is worse. It's subjective. A better comparision is actually Guts Hariyama vs Guts Machamp.
I like No Guard Champ more, literally for the sole reason of "omfg it can actually 1-2HKOs with Stone Edge!"

Xander of Nohr yes, you've mentioned a lot of the same arguments that people on PS chat made against me, too. Its interesting that you mentioned the lack of high-ranking of the replay as a good reason why it shouldn't be trusted. I will say, in 3DS wifi Battlespot, where your opponent's team isn't neatly arranged in colorful icons throughout the whole battle, its harder to make predictions. In light of this fact, Machamp would probably have a worse time under that kind of pressure.

The stats and moves arguments don't feel convincing to me, but you have reminded me of my lack of raw DS footage, and that's something I should definitely try to address.
Oh for Team Preview, use pencil and paper or just snap a pic of the Team Preview on your phone, basically the same as Showdown. Helps a ton.

Wow! Thanks a lot ProjectTitan313!

That's one of the counterpoints I made as well: Machamp vs. Conkeldurr is an exchange. I like Machamp's stronger offensive abilities, with Close Combat and Guts boost. Since its Battlespot Singles, I feel I don't need staying power too much, with only 3 Pokemon allowed to enter the battle. That little bit of speed comes into play pretty well, too, if I'm using softer forms of speed control, like Rock Tomb instead of Paralysis. Conkeldurr, on the other hand, underspeeds Machamp, and can work better in Trick Room, right?

So yes, its an exchange, not an obvious "throw away Machamp" thing!

Last edited:
A better comparision is actually Guts Hariyama vs Guts Machamp.
Was looking for where this was said. I actually would like to see what people think about Hariyama. I like stuff with fat HP, hence Drufblim and why I mentioned AV Wailord elsewhere. Also why I've at least thought about Wigglytuff, even if I found it to be lacking. I don't like pink blobs very much, but other high HP stuff sure.

Anyways, Haritama has three nice abilities in Guts, Thick Fat, and Sheer Force-none of the other fightings mentioned or really any fightings have three good abilities. 144/ 120/ 60/ 40/ 60/ 50 stats are kinda odd, but I think good overall. A high HP can make up for defenses that are low but not absurdly so, and base 120 Atk hits plenty hard even if other fightings have more. And don't forget possible Sheer Force elemental punches. Spe is low, but at least a tiny bit higher than Conk.

Move pool wise Hariyama is good but doesn't have too much over the other fighting types. It has Belly Drum, but Bullet Punch instead of Mach Punch for priority so it's not that great, and has to compete Azu and I suppose Slurpuff for the Sitrus Berry. Any fighting type pretty much has Counter, but high HP and fairly low Def mean Hari is the best user of it.

Other than that, the main move is Whirlwind. I've never used Hari, and so I'm not gonna argue for it. It just looks relatively good and I wanna kno if other peeple think it has potential. It clearly sees like no use, and I'd like to kno why.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Was looking for where this was said. I actually would like to see what people think about Hariyama. I like stuff with fat HP, hence Drufblim and why I mentioned AV Wailord elsewhere. Also why I've at least thought about Wigglytuff, even if I found it to be lacking. I don't like pink blobs very much, but other high HP stuff sure.

Anyways, Haritama has three nice abilities in Guts, Thick Fat, and Sheer Force-none of the other fightings mentioned or really any fightings have three good abilities. 144/ 120/ 60/ 40/ 60/ 50 stats are kinda odd, but I think good overall. A high HP can make up for defenses that are low but not absurdly so, and base 120 Atk hits plenty hard even if other fightings have more. And don't forget possible Sheer Force elemental punches. Spe is low, but at least a tiny bit higher than Conk.

Move pool wise Hariyama is good but doesn't have too much over the other fighting types. It has Belly Drum, but Bullet Punch instead of Mach Punch for priority so it's not that great, and has to compete Azu and I suppose Slurpuff for the Sitrus Berry. Any fighting type pretty much has Counter, but high HP and fairly low Def mean Hari is the best user of it.

Other than that, the main move is Whirlwind. I've never used Hari, and so I'm not gonna argue for it. It just looks relatively good and I wanna kno if other peeple think it has potential. It clearly sees like no use, and I'd like to kno why.
I think in singles Hari is nearly 100% outclassed by Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr also has Sheer Force and the Elemental but prefers the better Iron Fist if you're not going Guts. It's defensive stats besides are honestly pretty pathetic (same as a Mienshao's) and make it 2hkoed by most neutral attacks. It's also a pain to make ev spreads for those type of pokemon. Hariyama can handle Charizard Y better because of Thick Fat but doesn't like Charizard X. I don't think the extra speed is very helpful; all it does is make you tie with Mawile and Azumarill things you don't want to fight anyway. While 120 Attack is fine it's coverage moves are pretty weak and Close Combat isn't incredibly powerful without a boosting item which are very hard to run on it. I honestly don't see a reason to run a slow fighting type besides Conkeldurr in singles.

In doubles Hariyama actually has a small niche as a fighting-type Fake Outer with Guts but is still usually outclassed by Scrafty or even Hitmontop.

I think in singles Hari is nearly 100% outclassed by Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr also has Sheer Force and the Elemental but prefers the better Iron Fist if you're not going Guts. It's defensive stats besides are honestly pretty pathetic (same as a Mienshao's) and make it 2hkoed by most neutral attacks. It's also a pain to make ev spreads for those type of pokemon. Hariyama can handle Charizard Y better because of Thick Fat but doesn't like Charizard X. I don't think the extra speed is very helpful; all it does is make you tie with Mawile and Azumarill things you don't want to fight anyway. While 120 Attack is fine it's coverage moves are pretty weak and Close Combat isn't incredibly powerful without a boosting item which are very hard to run on it. I honestly don't see a reason to run a slow fighting type besides Conkeldurr in singles.

In doubles Hariyama actually has a small niche as a fighting-type Fake Outer with Guts but is still usually outclassed by Scrafty or even Hitmontop.
The quote was me, Omastar. :P
Hariyama doesn't have much reason to use Sheer Force; Force Palm gets a solid 118 Base power with no Def drops, but at the same time is still 62 points under Close Combat, and it's afraid of Burns, and it doesn't wall quite as much. Lack of LO recoil is cool though.
So it's mostly used for tankish, Thick Fat + AV sets, or in Doubles it's commonly seen as a nuclear Guts + Flame Orb TR wrecking ball with Fake Out support; but that's basically only seen in Doubles, I can't imagine justification in Singles.
Whirlwind isn't used much by simple virtue of Hariyama's massive 4MSS, plus high AV usage also kills it.

Conk is for Drain Punch / longivity / physical bulk. Hariyama is for Thick Fat and massively superior Special tanking capability. Most neutral physical attacks will often 2HKO Hariyama lacking Sitrus Berry though, yes. It does hit enough to dodge the 2HKO from Jolly Lum Chomp though:
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Hariyama: 93-109 (42.4 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

But as I've said before, this is also true on Conkeldurr; it depends on Drain Punch recovery to survive a lot of the time and can be 2HKO'd on a switch in just as easily as other fat Fighting mons. The only fighting type that walks into Kangaskhan's Return and isn't 2HKO'd before they ever land a non-priority hit is Cobalion. Which is not a good pokemon in general, and dies to EQ / Low Kick anyway.
Conk and Hariyama both are completely demolished by +1 Char-X Outrage. I can't really count that against Hariyama. In fact, the ability to outright laugh at Char-Y, while basically forcing Char-X to lock itself into Outrage even at +2 thanks to Thick Fat, would be more in favor of Hariyama overall.
The bulk is much, much better than Mienshao; I'm stumbling over the comparision.

252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Conkeldurr: 135-160 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 191-227 (87.2 - 103.6%) -- 10.2% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mienshao: 191-227 (136.4 - 162.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I wouldn't say it's a pain to EV though. Gargantuan HP and low Def/Sp. Def just means you invest in Def/Sp. Def instead of HP. Same reason bulky Rotom-W sets run max HP; shit HP + high defenses = invest in HP.

Doubles, Hariyama is the hyper offensive option for Trick Room Fake Out Fighting mon. Scrafty and Hitmontop are the much, much less offensive, bulkier / support options. TR is usually pretty offensive during those precious few turns.

But if we want a tl;dr just run Conk unless you need the Fire + Ice resists.

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been asked before, searched a few topics and could not really find my answer bar a few suggestions.

I'm looking for a list of the best Pokemon that are used competitively to spread damaging status ailments Example: Poison, Burn etc.

There are a few I am familiar with already, being - Sableye, Jellicent, Gengar(I think, if you use max hp? not sure)

Also I'm trying to stay away from legendary Pokemon so please don't post suggestions on those (sticking to battle spot single rules)

Im hoping you guys can help me out a bit more.

Thanks

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been asked before, searched a few topics and could not really find my answer bar a few suggestions.

I'm looking for a list of the best Pokemon that are used competitively to spread damaging status ailments Example: Poison, Burn etc.

There are a few I am familiar with already, being - Sableye, Jellicent, Gengar(I think, if you use max hp? not sure)

Also I'm trying to stay away from legendary Pokemon so please don't post suggestions on those (sticking to battle spot single rules)

Im hoping you guys can help me out a bit more.

Thanks
Hey there and welcome to Smogon / Battle Spot! I moved your post to the simple questions thread, anything that can be answered in a post or two should go here rather than its own thread...

What you should do is head over to http://battlespotstats.com/ and type in moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Toxic, Thunder Wave, and Spore etc. into the search bar. The results on the left side of the screen will be a list of Pokemon who commonly use those moves. Notable Pokemon include Talonflame, Rotom-W, Heatran, Aegislash, Suicune, Venusaur, Mamoswine, Ferrothorn, Thundurus, Porygon2, Serperior, Zapdos, Klefki, Slowbro, Breloom, and Hippowdon.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Anyone have a set for a Timid Hydreigon? I was thinking of using a Taunt stallbreaker set of some sort.

I had this Timid Hydreigon bred and trained before I found out Modest is just better so I bred a new one and this one is just sitting in my box for years. Thinking of doing something with it.

Anyone have a set for a Timid Hydreigon? I was thinking of using a Taunt stallbreaker set of some sort.

I had this Timid Hydreigon bred and trained before I found out Modest is just better so I bred a new one and this one is just sitting in my box for years. Thinking of doing something with it.
I think Scarf is like the only good use for Timid. The only important things it outspeeds Modest can't are Max Spe 90s and 252 neutral Spe base 100s, which doesn't justify the loss in power.

You could do something along the lines of Draco Meteor / Taunt / Roost / Dark Pulse, and enough Speed to outrun max Speed Gliscor / Uxie which is honestly the fastest thing I can think of on a Stall team, aside from Whimsicott.
Hydra's defenses are actually quite good, and resistance wise it's pretty blessed on the Special side. So I'd run it almost like Latias: Speed and HP.

Timid LO Hydra also works, and isn't exactly obscure. max Sp. Atk / Speed with DM / Taunt / coverage* / Dark Pulse.
* Earth Power, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Focus Blast, or Rock Slide if you really, really hate Char-Y.

It it possible for someone to make something like this for BSS? http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ou-checks-compendium.3565962/
I honestly considered compiling a thread myself but 1) It would be too much time consuming for one person alone and 2) I think it's kind of pointless considering we have access to the PGL statistics so you can always just check that up and narrow down what each pokemon on your team usually kills or gets killed by and from that write down a reasonable threatlist yourself, then all you have to do is play around with Calcs & Evs spreads.
But I guess it would be something nice to have.

I figure a lot of the threads would translate well here but that would be one of the least necessary.

I think the EV spread / set viability one could be combined into a good one but that feels excessive for the amount of work needed when the current viability thread goes through fits of activity as it is.

I figure a lot of the threads would translate well here but that would be one of the least necessary.

I think the EV spread / set viability one could be combined into a good one but that feels excessive for the amount of work needed when the current viability thread goes through fits of activity as it is.
Better than the other metagames. Doubles / Triples are dead as doors and Rotations... doesn't exist yet as far as I know, lol.

Anyway, general question: is there anywhere on PGL that states how many participants played in a Season? I know it displays Participant turnouts for IC's and such, but have not seen on Seasons.
Would be nice to know how many people in the UK, Japan, or US or something participated in Season 15.
Other than, you know, setting region and flipping through pages until it stops.

edit: I scrolled anyway. 7,531 participants in S15 for the US. I'm #37 (Anna) if you look.
So, that makes me in the top 0.5% right? :P

Last edited:
Is Chatot any good in singles? It's only #143 in usage, but that's still higher than some things in the viability rankings like Feraligatr, Omastar, and Kabutops.

It has a very strong STAB Boomburst(even a tiny bit stronger than Exploud's,) and another really good move in Chatter, which has a reasonable 65 BP and always causes confusion. Chatot also has some other really nice moves like Heat Wave, Encore, Taunt, and U-Turn.

But on the other hand it's ridiculously frail with 75/45/42 bulk, not much better than Sharpedo and worse than its mega. It's not that fast, and base 92 SpA is only kinda good. It's only ability that'd useful at all, Keen Eye, is also pretty situational and usually gonna do nothing.

As good as Vivillon is, I guess. It's just not reliable imo and overall kind of forgettable. No scrappy, mediocre sp. atk & speed and to top it all off, terrible bulk. Confusion shenanigans is really the only thing Chatot has got going for itself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)