Natural Cure
Bold Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef
- Seismic Toss
- Counter
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled

I have some questions:
1. What's a good item I can give to Blaziken? Lum Berry helps with the terrible thing that is paralysis but since I have Sylveon it's redundant most of the time.

2. I feel like Chansey is the team member who pulls the least weight, she's rendered somewhat redundant by Sylveon as a cleric. She's excellent at stall (which I love) but she's the one I use the least and the times I've won with her I could easily have done with someone else.

3. Should I replace Sylveon with Vaporeon? Steel-types and water-types are mean to me :(

Don't tell me to replace anyone please, other than these questions my mind is very much made up on this team.

Edit: I feel like I should add that Rotation Battles is my absolute favourite battle format. It's the most fun and requires the most creativity and prediction imo :)
All right. Let's do some late-night Friday posting.

1) Yay for more people being interested in Rotation! It's the best.

2) I question the use of Chancey here more than anything, which it looks like you have as well. Toxic is getting some mileage out of the amount of Protect on your team, but with the prediction games you have to play with both Psychic and Counter, I honestly wonder when it would ever be worth bringing in a pick-four situation.

If you want another bulky Pokemon, I'd look into, and sorry to abuse a Rotation standard, Substitute Aegislash. Reason being, particularly for your team, that it forms a scary core with Kangaskhan and Latios. Latios is immune to Earthquakes that otherwise threaten Aegislash, and Kangaskhan is immune to Ghost-type moves that threaten the other two, and can pick up OHKOs with Sucker Punch on many of Ghost-type moves' most common users. Latios and Aegislash both threaten Fighting-types that might otherwise put pressure on Kangaskhan. Your opportunities to set up a Substitute will be many.

I also question the use of a setup Blaziken unless you've found it works spectacularly well for you, without just a little more support (ex. Talonflame threatens most of your team right now). Blaziken can be your sweeper with Speed Boost, but it desperately needs either Swords Dance or good chip damage from teammates to become your win condition. Do you have room for another supporter in place of Archeops (who becomes useless at less than half-HP)? Screens or other crippling moves could really make your game with Blaziken. Although I understand the appeal of having Archeops at the beginning of the game as he hits with great neutral damage across the board. Just some food for thought.

If you're comfortable doing so, I'd also recommend trying Vaporeon over Sylveon. Aegilsash is incredibly prevalent, as is Mawile, both of which wreck Sylveon's game. Vaporeon's simple staying power can be immensely valuable, while providing the same kind of support Sylveon does via Wish. Vaporeon also picks off a lot of the same Dragon-type threats as Sylveon.

Finally, Earthquake Kangaskhan is on point. Glad you went for that instead of Fake Out. It really seems like you have a decent handle on Rotation to begin with, which is awesome to see. I'd be happy to hear any insights from you as well. Feel free to bump the Rotation meta thread with anything you've found.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So 2 things I've wondered for a while and don't know why I never asked anywhere...

- for PGL usage stats, is there any way to bring up the page for any individual Pokemon you want rather than manually scrolling through everything?
- on PGL profiles, some matches have battle video codes and some don't, what determines which matches get codes saved there?
1. On the top right of the usage stat box there's a button labeled "Choose a Pokémon" - it brings up a popup with the National Dex. From there you can search through the list for whatever you need to look up.

2. That's down to the owner of the profile. In order to have the code show up, they need to have enable the automatic transmission of videos (the prompt you get before entering a Battle Spot match in-game) and then they need to personally save the match itself.

1. On the top right of the usage stat box there's a button labeled "Choose a Pokémon" - it brings up a popup with the National Dex. From there you can search through the list for whatever you need to look up.

2. That's down to the owner of the profile. In order to have the code show up, they need to have enable the automatic transmission of videos (the prompt you get before entering a Battle Spot match in-game) and then they need to personally save the match itself.
Oh geez I can't believe I never saw that on the stats page, that's exactly what I wanted

The video codes still have me a little confused though. Is it just if both players accept automatic transmission? For example on my page, one of the matches that lists a code is one that I'm certain I never saved in-game. I also notice that only wins are ever shown codes there.

Oh geez I can't believe I never saw that on the stats page, that's exactly what I wanted

The video codes still have me a little confused though. Is it just if both players accept automatic transmission? For example on my page, one of the matches that lists a code is one that I'm certain I never saved in-game. I also notice that only wins are ever shown codes there.
I've been confused about this myself. It seems like they only show up on your page if the other player has elected to allow automatic transmission. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Whiskey Tango, thanks for your in-depth answer! I'll start with saying that I am definitely very comfortable using Vaporeon over Sylveon. I used Vaporeon for my first ever team and started experimenting with Sylveon because my team does well with the Fairy-type coverage in the Battle Maison but Vaporeon is pretty good with dealing, or at least helping her teammates to deal, with the top threats in Battle Spot (my Vaporeon once won 1-3 in a Singles match using just Toxic, and that was an OU team. Good times).

I've found that Blaziken does very well for me, especially with the support his teammates provide (most prominently a cleric), so he's fine. I'm definitely not going to replace Archeops though. He's a fine sweeper and if it looks like he's in trouble, he can go out with a Head Smash that can hugely cripple foes even with Defeatist active. He and Blaziken are both excellent with clerical support (Wish-passing is so easy in Rotation Battles, I'm baffled as to why so few teams have a Wish-passer). Even if Archeops fires off a Head Smash early and gets into Defeatist range, I can pass a Wish to him and he's back with a vengeance.

I have considered using a screens setter (I used Espeon in this role during the Eevee Friendly) but my problem with that is I usually find them to be dead weight and if they're the last Pokemon standing (the ones I know are most common are Klefki, Espeon, and Azelf), it's game over for me as even if they can make space for an attacking move, none of them have recovery moves (except Espeon, who can't make room for Wish anyway) if I want to PP/timer stall.

As for SubToxic Aegislash, I'll consider it. I don't really want to use Aegislash because he's overrated imo (yeah, I know, so is Mega Kangaskhan but at least I liked Kangaskhan before everybody else did - yeaahh now you know part of the reason I use Archeops, I'm a hipster) but you're right in that he forms an excellent core with Kangaskhan and Latios, who I feel are my two strongest Pokemon.

Lastly, thank you for the compliment :D Fake Out is a good move but in Rotations it's just a waste of space. Same reason I use Dragon Pulse instead of Draco Meteor on Latios: I can't switch him out to make the best of it, at least I can dish out consistent damage with Dragon Pulse.

As for SubToxic Aegislash, I'll consider it. I don't really want to use Aegislash because he's overrated imo (yeah, I know, so is Mega Kangaskhan but at least I liked Kangaskhan before everybody else did - yeaahh now you know part of the reason I use Archeops, I'm a hipster) but you're right in that he forms an excellent core with Kangaskhan and Latios, who I feel are my two strongest Pokemon.
To be clear, not SubToxic, but just the straight-up Subsitute/King's Shield/Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon variety; it seems to be the most viable.

I should've caught the Dragon Pulse choice too, though. It's really cool to see someone else with an understanding of what Rotation sets should do.

As for dual screeners -- if you do want to look into them at all -- Cresselia is also an option. It has Levitate, which would keep the opponent from thinking twice about Earthquaking Blaziken with anything bulky, and also has moderate offensive presence and recovery. It also lends your team some bulk.

And I personally use Uxie for its natural defenses and access to Yawn, but it's your call, and you don't necessarily need one either. Just throwing out some options.

Last edited:
To be clear, not SubToxic, but just the straight-up Subsitute/King's Shield/Shadow Ball/Flash Cannon variety; it seems to be the most viable.

I should've caught the Dragon Pulse choice too, though. It's really cool to see someone else with an understanding of what Rotation sets should do.

As for dual screeners -- if you do want to look into them at all -- Cresselia is also an option. It has Levitate, which would keep the opponent from thinking twice about Earthquaking Blaziken with anything bulky, and also has moderate offensive presence and recovery. It also lends your team some bulk.

And I personally use Uxie for its natural defenses and access to Yawn, but it's your call, and you don't necessarily need one either. Just throwing out some options.
Ah, ofc, Flash Cannon does provide better coverage. The accuracy might not matter too much behind a Substitute too. Cresselia totally escaped my notice somehow. She gets Moonlight which has low PP and isn't too reliable in recovery but I'll look into her. Thanks a lot, Rotation is such an underrated format and it's cool discussing it with someone who understands it so well :D

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Mega Gyarados is a far more anti-meta pick as it has a positive matchup against Garchomp, most Kangaskhan and Talonflame, as well as basically hard-countering unboosted Blaziken in base form. Intimidate is the main draw here, as is MGyara's Mold Breaker allowing it to land super-effective Ice Fangs on Mega Venusaur, and completely destroy the Rotom formes and base Gengar (although, to be fair, Waterfall would do that anyway). Charizard is very strong and can setup easily on Manectric and Rotom by bluffing Charizard Y, but I feel that Gyarados is overall a better meta pick.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I definitely agree on Gyarados over Charizard at the moment, it seems like a lot of teams are well prepared for Char-X at the moment and I could rarely get it to work. My favourite DDer is still good old Dragonite though...

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What are the differences between this and OU?
Battle Spot is the official format supported by Gamefreak and what is played on the matchmaking function on the actual 3DS games. The banlist and clauses for Singles/Doubles/Triples/Rotation are identical to the Battle Maison, though the Special ladder is different and changes with each season.

Also, OU is 6v6 singles and played at lv100 while this is not supported by any Battle Spot format, and the banlist has no input from players whatsoever. Even Battle Spot singles is functionally different from OU.

If you're looking to get into Battle Spot from OU, Singles and Rotation are probably the best places to start. Rotation may seem intimidating at first, but if you're good at prediction in singles and weighing cost/benefit analyses, Rotation can be fairly intuitive for 6v6 singles players because of its emphasis on synergy and cores. Most of the same top-tier Pokemon are good (even accounting for the differences in banlists), however the main differences are in playstyles.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
The 2 biggest differences:

(1) In OU, you generally play 6v6 singles. In battle spot, you can choose 3v3 singles, 4v4 doubles, 4v4 rotations, 6v6 triples, and special rated, which next season (starting after the 8th), will be 4v4 doubles "UU" (the top 19 most-used pokemon from regular doubles battle spot will be banned). Also, there are frequently competitions that last for a weekend or so that you can compete in.

(2) Battle spot has a much smaller ban list, and this ban list is unlikely to change over time. For example, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Mawile, and aegislash are not banned here. Swagger, Evasion moves, Dark Void, Moody, and other moves and abilities are also not banned. Generally, the only ban list for battle spot is (1) no box legends (all kyurem forms, kyogre, mewtwo, etc), (2) no event legends (keldeo, jirachi, diancie, genesect, etc). Other legendary pokemon--like zapdos, suicune, terrakion, heatran, cresselia, and landorus--are all allowed. Sometimes, especially for competitions, pre-gen 6 pokemon (pokemon without the blue pentagon) are also banned.

EDIT: Ninja'd. Also, Age of Kings' explanation was better, lol.

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If the question is about meta (focusing on singles):

- Entry hazards are significantly less effective in all Battle Spot formats. The battles are shorter and less Pokemon are switched in, meaning that their value is far less than they are in a 6v6 singles format. Battles also tend to be much shorter (at least turn-wise).

- Pokemon must be EV'd differently, due to the fact that Pokemon at lv50 hit a little bit harder than their lv100 counterparts. I forget the exact percentage, but this means stuff at lv100 that 3HKO can 2HKO at 50 and so on. This means that spreads tailored for lv100 must be adjusted - more defense for defensive mons, less offense for offense mons to 2HKO/OHKO.

- This does not mean stall is unviable, but must be played carefully and have at least a little offensive threat (Chansey/Blissey being an exception). Some defensive Pokemon thrive in a matchup dependent meta, especially if the opponent fails to bring a proper check since it is almost impossible to account for all Pokemon in 3 slots, let alone 6. Cresselia, Porygon2, Ferrothorn, Chansey, and Charizard-X are some Pokemon that are very difficult to break if the opponent has not chosen their team properly on team preview.

- Item clause really isn't a big deal and Leftovers is a more situational item (by no means unviable, just not the go-to filler item). Rocky Helmet is usually the go-to item for defensive Pokemon due to Kanga's prevalence, Sitrus Berry is great too for burst healing on mons that have weak sustain. I've seen Rocky Helmet on everything from Cresselia and Ferrothorn to Talonflame and Torkoal.

- No, Kanga/Aegi/etc. do not make the format unplayable. There are many ways to deal with them. Swagger is far more risky because of the limited teamslots and less payout for that kind of risk.

I'm sure some higher rated players have better stuff to say, but that's the gist. 3v3 singles is a whole new animal, not to mention Doubles/Triples. As mentioned, I think Rotation is fairly intuitive for the OU player coming in since as far as teambuilding goes, they have quite a bit in common and even in playstyles, there are many transferrable skills. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I have another donation for the battle spot distribution. Special thanks to Whiskey Tango for donating this!

Ralts (F)
Level: 1
Sassy No EVs
Trace
OT: Ian
ID: 52834
Egg Moves: Synchronoise
Special Thanks to Whiskey Tango for the donation!
Note: This pokemon was bred specially for the Fairy Face-Off competition, but can also be adapted to Eggy Emporium's Trick Room Setter Spread

This is a level 1 untrained pokemon. I'm not sure if I'll have time to level and EV train it in time for the competition.

Here is a quote of the set it's designed to run. I have all the TMs necessary for this set. I'd appreciate someone willing to level and EV it in time for the Fairy Face-Off Competition.

Regardless, untrained clones are available with no commitment to anyone who asks. Please follow the instructions on the distribution post (link in sig), and post your request there.

Gardevoir @ Focus Sash
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP/12 Def/232 SpA/12 SpDef -- Spread by Whiskey Tango
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Synchronoise
- Shadow Ball
Thanks!

EDIT:

This community is really awesome! I had 3 people willing to help EV train this pokemon, and I was able to get it to the trainer and back within an evening. Thank you very much. Here is the finished gardevoir:

Gardevoir (F)
Sassy 252 HP / 12 Def / 232 Sp.Atk / 12 SpDef -- Spread by Whiskey Tango
Trace
OT: Ian
ID: 52834
Egg Moves: Synchronoise
- Will-o-Wisp
- Trick Room
- Synchronoise
- Shadow Ball
Special Thanks to Whiskey Tango for the donation!
Special Thanks to Untouchable82 for leveling and EVing this pokemon.
Special Thanks to Age of Kings and cant say, who were also willing to help get this pokemon battle ready.
Note: This pokemon was bred specially for the Fairy Face-Off competition, but can also be adapted to Eggy Emporium's Trick Room Setter Spread.

Last edited:
Hi. I'm not sure if this is the place (please redirect me if I'm wrong) to ask for some help.
I'm interested in learning some BS Rotation basics, so if anyone could "tutor" me, please do :).

I've seen there's a thread for Rotation, but I figured this was the place to ask. I guess I should post the team I've been using (to some success).

Octillery @ Choice Specs/Splash Plate
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Water Spout
- Energy Ball
- Fire Blast
- Surf

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Hammer Arm

Gallade (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Dragon Claw
- Waterfall
- Roost

The best tip I can give you, Mewdraco is to use Mega Mawile in a Trick Room team. I'd get rid of either Gallade or Rhyperior.

Since this is lv. 50 also don't do stuff like 8 EVs into something as it is wasted. Every odd number of EVs (4, 12, etc.) will make a stat go up at lv. 50.

Anyone here know good EV spreads for these pokes?

Nidoran male modest nature with hustle (will be sheer force once Nidoking)
Fletchling jolly nature with gale wings
Sableye calm nature with prankster
piplup with modest nature
Heracross with adamant nature with moxie

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Anyone here know good EV spreads for these pokes?

Nidoran male modest nature with hustle (will be sheer force once Nidoking)
Fletchling jolly nature with gale wings
Sableye calm nature with prankster
piplup with modest nature
Heracross with adamant nature with moxie
Hmm, didn't like the answer you got in the ubers SQ/SA, lol? The Smogon XY strategy dex really is the best general reference for pokemon without knowing what kind of team or format you're likely to run.

I'd recommend:

a choice scarf set for nidoking (252 sp.atk/252 speed). Life orb might work, but nido is pretty slow (base 80 speed), so would need speed control to work effectively.

I personally prefer adamant tflame, but jolly works too. There are 2 jolly sets listed on the strat dex that might work for you.

Sableye probably wants mixed defensive investment, but the exact ratio really depends on what your team needs out of your sableye. I'd recommend spending some time testing spreads with pokemon showdown's damage calculator to figure out what you want. If you really can't figure it out, here's a basic spread to tide you over: 252 HP / 164 Def / 94 Sp.Def.

empoleon is a very, err, eccentric choice in battle spot. You'd need to have a specific plan for it in mind if you want to use it. Thus, general guidance would be pretty useless here.

Also, I've never really used heracross, so I'll refer you to the strat dex again on that one.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi. Can someone please explain how a presumably choice scarfed Mamoswine outsped my Timid Mega Manectric (fully invested) and KO'd me with an earthquake? I'm new to battling so maybe i'm missing something? Mamoswine 80 speed x 1.5= 120 vs Mega Manectric 135?

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
timid mega manectric hits 405 speed
jolly scarf mamoswine hits 284*1,5=426 speed

if you want to calculate it in a base stat equivalent, you need to remember that the ivs and evs are also multiplied by 1,5. therefore, scarf mamo's effective base speed is not 80*1,5 but 80*1,5+25=145.

In the future, you should post stuff like this in a simple questions/simple answers thread. Welcome btw :)

timid mega manectric hits 405 speed
jolly scarf mamoswine hits 284*1,5=426 speed

if you want to calculate it in a base stat equivalent, you need to remember that the ivs and evs are also multiplied by 1,5. therefore, scarf mamo's effective base speed is not 80*1,5 but 80*1,5+25=145.

In the future, you should post stuff like this in a simple questions/simple answers thread. Welcome btw :)
Thanks for quick response!

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
douglasquade I merged this with the simple questions thread. As Plumberjack said, in the future, ask your questions here rather than making a new thread. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)