1. The moderators of this forum are cant say, Hulavuta, and DragonWhale.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

Battle Spot Singles Simple Questions

Discussion in 'Battle Spot Singles' started by cant say, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Leader Wallace

Leader Wallace

Now that Pidgeotite and Steelixite are avalible, are they able to be used on the ladder?
  2. cant say

cant say Banned juicer.
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

yes
    Leader Wallace likes this.
  3. Coltr4ne

Coltr4ne

Hello guys,

Today I played some WiFi games in Battle Spot Singles and I found an issue that might be a bug, but first I would just like to confirm with you. In the Cloyster BSS analysis says that when played with "Naive" or "Jolly" nature at full Spe IV and +2 (after a Shell Smash) you should outspeed Tapu Koko even when he has Choice Scarf. Well, yesterday I was playing and this just didn't happen. Two times. I can assure I didn't get my speed reduced by any means, and neither the Tapu Koko got any speed boost or similar (I reviewed the game several times). Only explanation I can find for this is, either the analysis is wrong (which I doubt, cuz I made some numbers using the damage calculator and seemed correct) or the IV extreme training I did on the Pokémon's speed (before getting the silver cap its speed IV was very low) is bugged and it's results doesn't reflect on WiFi battles.

Do you know if there are any known bugs related to this issue, or maybe I'm getting something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  4. LegoFigure11

LegoFigure11 :thinking:
    is a Community Contributor

+2 (Shell Smash) 252+ Spe Cloyster = 268 Speed
    +1 (Choice Scarf) 252+ Spe Tapu Koko = 300 Speed

Tapu Koko is faster with a scarf
    <Totes> likes this.
  5. Coltr4ne

Coltr4ne

That looks correct. Then I guess the analysis should be changed
  6. LegoFigure11

LegoFigure11 :thinking:
    is a Community Contributor

Yup haha the analysis was wrong (whoops). It's been updated, though the changes might take a bit to actually show up on-site. Thanks for pointing that out!
    <Totes> and NOVED like this.
  7. Coltr4ne

Coltr4ne

XD no problem. I will just have to say bye to my fantasy of outspeeding all the +1 pokedex :_(
  8. Doobzi

Doobzi
    BSS Tour Champion

I was going through the viability rankings and didn't see mega Pinsir there. Is it because it's just a poor man's mence or does it have a niche? Notably sword dance and quick attack giving it a slight advantage?
  9. Solerme

Solerme
    is an official Team Rater

This probably because the ranking are spreading the tiering from S to B, without going any further. Otherwise i think that Pinsir would be there, somewhere between C+ and C- imo
  10. Vif-Argent

Vif-Argent

Is there a place where I can see checks/counters of any mon in BSS ?
  11. Johta

Johta

You mean like that one checks & counters thread the OU forum used to have? I'm afraid we don't have that here. You should be looking at the strategy-dex and the PGL's statistics page for that kind of information.
    Vif-Argent likes this.
  12. Sardus21

Sardus21

Hi! Does someone know what kind of defensive AND speed benchmarks should Char Y have in the BSD meta?
    Especially because Timid Lele&Jolly Lando-T are really common, so I dunno if I need a +Speed nature or what :/
  13. Demantoid

Demantoid [10:43:28] #Mishiimono)⊙﹏⊙✿( kills a dewgong

If you want a fast Charizard I would probably just use Max speed. Some defensive benchmarks you could ev for on a bulky zard could be Kangaskhan Double Edge, LO Tapu Koko Tbolt outside of electric terrain, Megagross Zen Headbutt in Psychic Terrain, and Rock Slide from Landorus-T (Garchomp is also an option because it's so common). For slower speed benchmarks you could do Tapu Bulu or Heatran.
  14. elnimio

elnimio

Definitely a + Speed nature. You don't want to lose crucial speed ties. Char Y is not meant to be a defensive pokemon.
  15. Martin890

Martin890

Can anyone suggest me a Araquanid set, please? I'm planning on hatching a Beast Ball Shiny and I want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance ! :]
  16. cant say

cant say Banned juicer.
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Battle Spot Leader

Adamant is easily the most common and arguably best nature so I'd go with that. It only gets 4 egg moves so you might as well just do them all, however Stockpile is the only one with competitive value so if you can't be bothered then just do that. As for the set, something like this would be fine:

Araquanid @ Waterium Z / Assault Vest / Choice Band
    Ability: Water Bubble
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Liquidation
    - Leech Life
    - Mirror Coat / Sleep Talk
    - Poison Jab / Lunge

e: banded mirror coat is bad mb
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  17. Martin890

Martin890

Thanks a lot!

Also, forgot to mention this in my previous post, but any idea for a good team mate? I was thinking Excadrill since they kinda cover each other's weaknesses pretty nice, at least at first glance.
  18. cant say

cant say Banned juicer.
    Battle Spot Leader

Trick Room support is really good, since Liquidation is actually strong enough to sweep most offensive teams, so try something like Mimikyu or Porygon2 there. Araquanid does absolutely nothing to Mega Salamence so you need to make sure that's covered, Porygon2 can do this as well, however you can also consider Cresselia for the dual TR + Mence check. The type synergy between Araquanid and Excadrill looks good on paper, however I can't see them forming any kind of core together.
  19. Sardus21

Sardus21

Thanks to both of you for your answers.
    Hulavuta likes this.
  20. MagikaripIsOP

MagikaripIsOP

Are there any resources that show teams of high/top ranked players?
  21. Johta

Johta

Yeah, Japanese blogs like this one mostly ( pretty sure somebody compiled a list somewhere in the forums ). You can also scan QR Rental Teams of high rating players using the PGL.
    MagikaripIsOP likes this.
  22. DragonWhale

DragonWhale It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

http://nouthuca.com/topic/?code=g7s2single

It's in japanese but there's the link compedium to the top teams. We may have an english one here soon.
    MagikaripIsOP likes this.
  23. dsm77773

dsm77773

How does a typical Battle Spot Singles rain team look like?
  24. Psynergy

Psynergy Guaranteed Crits
    is a Live Chat Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Rain teams only really exist to the extent of having a rain setter and one rain sweeper, often Pelipper and Kingdra (and Mega Swampert when that's released). The rest of the team really shouldn't be dependent on rain though bulky Steels like Celesteela and Ferrothorn are also really nice to have, especially the latter since it resists Electric. Rain setups tend to have more glaring weaknesses since you're stacking two Water-types so the rest of the team should ideally have ways to deal with Electric-types, and to a lesser extent, Grass-types.
    dsm77773 and cant say like this.
  25. Theorymon

Theorymon Let's a do the truffle shuffle!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Live Chat Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Something I'd mention in particular: If you're making a rain team, prepare for Thundurus-T! While Thundurus-T doesn't do well against rain sweepers itself, its a huge bastard to switch into, especially for teams that use Ferrothorn in the rain to deal with Tapu Koko, since Thundurus-T usually has Focus Blast.
    dsm77773 and Psynergy like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)