Battle Spot Singles Viability Rankings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Hydreigon for A-. It's one of the few mons that can comfortably deal with Aegislash, and on top of that it can ohko a shit ton of mons like Mega Kan most notably but also over half the current A rank mons. Specs dark pulse is really easy to spam too since dark resists aren't extremely common. I think it's power and respectable bulk + speed is enough to keep it at A-. When you only have 3 mons(or less depending on the point of the match), it's hard to switch around and take way over half from hydreigon's attacks. You don't even have to go choiced either, life orb sets are still great and give you more flexibility with your coverage. And i don't think hydreigon has 4mss really. What else would you even need besides Dragon/Dark/Fire/Ground coverage? That hits literally everything it needs to. Sure you could run flash cannon for fairies but you shouldn't be staying in on fairies anyway.

I don't think Hydreigon fits the B description of "requires a bit more team support to bring out their full potential". Hydreigon is pretty easy to fit on teams if you need a hard hitting mon, especially since it's capable of dealing with a lot of things in the meta. Besides basic teammates that synergize with it, it doesn't need any kind of specific team support to do well.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Code:
Porygon2: B+ ----> A- rank
Slaking: None ----> D rank
Clefable: None ----> A- rank
Quagsire: None ----> B+ rank
Starmie: None ----> B rank
I want to see more discussion regarding Hydreigon before we define its rank.
Btw I decided to add Slaking because it fits the description for D rank pokemon.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How is Slaking in the same rank as Mega Camerupt? Slaking's ability just makes it god awful, it gives a free turn to the opponent that lets it freely set up. If the opponent has a sub or protect than Slaking just loses to it. Terrible mon, even if it looks like it has good stats. Tbh I don't think it should be ranked at all, or if you are going to give it a rank put it in E.

Latios for B/B-/C+?
Latios pretty much in a way has better stats than Hydreigon but arguably a worse movepool and Typing, especially with having to rely on Hidden Power to deal with Steel types, and being Suck3r Punch weak doesn't help. But it does have a few things going for it, like a great speed tier, good resitances, and some good firepower. Its movepool is somewhat limiting, being mostly: STAB, T-bolt, Screens, Surf, Hidden Power, Trick, Energy Ball, and Shadow Ball. It has multiple supportive options as well which can make up for the lack of good special moves. Excellent wall breaker, being able to not only Trick them, but with Draco Meteor's power and the ability to hit SpD pokes on the physical side makes it hard to wall especially when backed up with some kind of Anti-Steel. btw dont use Mega Latios LO/Choice items are better

Agreeing with Sableye in A-, really useful Prankster abuser and can bluff a Mega Evo

Hydreigon for S

Last edited:
How is Slaking in the same rank as Mega Camerupt? Slaking's ability just makes it god awful, it gives a free turn to the opponent that lets it freely set up. If the opponent has a sub or protect than Slaking just loses to it. Terrible mon, even if it looks like it has good stats. Tbh I don't think it should be ranked at all, or if you are going to give it a rank put it in E.
I totally agree with what you're saying, I really don't think Slaking should be in D rank anymore. I completely forgot that it loses to a pokemon with a substitute up automatically as well. Putting it in the same category as M-Camerupt is just not right, so I believe we should put it in E rank, or just completely scrap the idea of it.

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Sorry I guess I got ahead of myself with that Slaking rank.
Code:
Slaking: D rank ----> Unranked
Sableye: None ----> A- rank
HydreigonIsOP would you mind being more clear about your Latios nomination please? There's a notable difference between B rank and C+ rank and I don't want to randomly guess it.

Also some pokemon I want to bring for discussion:

Mega Blaziken
Terrakion
Tyranitar
Slowbro
Blaziken
Mega Swampert
Mega Tyranitar
Mega Steelix

*You don't have to rank all these pokemon, just some examples to get more discussions going, you can also go ahead and nominate any other pokemon not listed here.

Mega Steelix: Unknown Rank (Maybe D)

My thoughts: Yes I am seeing the diamond snake being used a bit more as a mega supported by Tyranitar. Clearly it's not the most popular mega ( yes I know everyone knows of course ) and that it's not as supportive as Mega Aggron is and can't do anything it does without the use of Filter ( which I say that Mega Aggron should be ranked C or C+ ). Mega Steelix does have a nice bulk in Defense and it takes a few turns or more (unless it carries rest) to get rid of it, but its left wide open to special attacks with its base 95 Special Defense. I'm kind of disappointed in the mega but it does have nice access to Stealth Rock, Curse, Gyro Ball, and STAB Earthquake. Idk, Mega Steelix is just like Mega Aggron except with more weaknesses, and no T-Wave support. It does function well with Tyranitar cause of Stand Stream and Sand Force. But who wants to continue switching? Certainly not me. I see Mega Steelix being in a little higher rank than rank D on Battle Spot Doubles though than rank D for Battle Spot Singles.

Slowbro: (B Rank)

My thoughts: I don't see Slowbro in being an A or S rank at all. It does take physical attacks pretty well considering its a physical tank in the metagame. It kind of has a bad typing when using it in Battle Spot because there's many Dark Pokemon such as Bisharp. Not to mention there are many Knock Off users as well. It does provide support but I don't see Slowbro as being too offensive.

Rotom-H: (B- Rank)

My thoughts: Rotom-Heat is pretty good in Battle Spot but nonetheless, I see it always outclassed and less viable than Rotom-Wash in every single way. The only thing that Rotom-H can do, which is a niche over Rotom-Wash is check pretty much every Grass-Type. I will give it a thumbs up that it is able to take on Mega Charizard Y better than Rotom-W can.

I'll try out the rest of the others being displayed above and have thoughts on it.

Last edited:
==> B+rank Slowbro is an amazing wall. With it's ability Regenerator and spectacular typing, it's capacity to wall most threats in Battle Spot like Talonflame, Mega Metagross,Mega Lopunny and various others. Slowbro can deal with most physical threats and inflicting a status upon them whether it be from Toxic or a lucky Scald burn. While it does get destroyed by Aegislash and special hits, it can still do the role it is meant to do,being a physical wall. Under most circumstances, it can at least take one hit to at least retaliate back . Slowbro can also deal with Mega Kangaskhan,being 2 KO'd or 3 KO'd by most of its moves enough time to cause some damage leaving it open for another pokemon to revenge kill. Considering Battle Spot Contains a lot of Fighting Types, Slowbro contains a nice niche in this meta . While it's access to Slack Off gives it my opinion of B+ due to it being able to shake off hits pretty well earns it a mostly great position.

===> B rank Mega Tyranitar is a monster, let it set up one Dragon Dance and you're practically done for depending on the coverage you've brought and the set of moves this Tyranitar runs. It has it's Special Defense boosted from Sandstorm as it is, meaning that most of the threats to Mega Tyranitar are fighting types. That makes it well rounded to work with Aegislash, aside from that it can work well around other threats out speeding most by just setting up one Dragon Dance as Mega Tyranitar can also cause a plentiful amount of switches across Battle Spot thus making setting up easier. Mega Tyranitar gets destroyed by most fighting types and can eventually be worn down with no way of recovery but would have at least done some of a job by that time. It's very hard to place Mega Tyranitar in a team as most pokemon don't appreciate weather nor the extra damage due to it. While it is not A material in my opinion it fits perfectly in B rank.

Id probably have to say B- after looking a bit more into it, just was ant quite sure at the time. Dont wanna make this a useless post tho so il post my thoughts on the others:

/
B+: Great check to a lot of common pokemon like: Ferrothorn, Hydreigon, Gengar, Tyranitar, ect, and is a useful addition for teams weak to Steel types since it has 2 STABs to counter them. Regular > Mega id have to say since they do pretty much the same thing expect with Normal Blaziken you can have another Mega alongside it. Does have a lot of good counters/checks like Birdspam, MegaMence, Landorus, Azumarill, Lati@s, Slowbro and Gyarados. Although it does get good coverage/viable Mixed/Special/Physical sets so countering it isn't always easy. Could go to A-.

/
A: Tyranitar is really good, and is common for many reasons. Its unpredictability is amazing and can run anything to DD sweepers to Special attacker to Defensive SR setter. Birdspam check. Birdspam can be a big problem for a lot of offensive teams, and T-tar not only deals with it pretty easily but can use birds as setup fodder (expect Staraptor CC GG Ttar). Usually the regular is better but if your going for a DD sweeper go Mega. Does have common weakness tho so A- may be more fitting.

B: Needs rain to really work effectively but if you can succeed in getting it up complete monster. Very bulky, stupid attack AND huge speed, what more could you ask for? I would say B tho since it needs rain to work effectively and with (Mega) Tyranitar and Zard-Y being so common it may be difficult to sweep.

A-: With Knock Off being so common now due to the new tutor in ORAS and the rise of P2, Terrakion can serve as a neat switch-in to common Knock Off users to get a +1 attack boost. Also great counter to Kanga and can deal a good amount to Salamence. Its STABs are rarely resisted, primially by Aegislash and Mega Gallade. Kinda gets obliterated by faster pokes however due to its lack-lastuer bulk and common weakness. Could go to A.

D: Worse Mega Aggron really. Unless you really want a Ground type thats Defensive and NOT Weak to Ice, i dont see why it would be better than Garchomp, Lando, Excadrill or Gliscor (as a Ground type) or Mega Aggron or Aegislash (as a Steel type)

Not really sure on Slowbro, haven't used or faced it.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Blaziken ==> A: Salamence's introduction hurts it somewhat but its sweeping ability and raw power are still respectable. Its typing, Speed, and power also make it relatively easy to put into a team IMO - Blaziken being the #5 most used Pokemon says something about that. The occasional Baton Pass can also do wonders. Blaziken can either run mega or not, often substituting in Life Orb if there's another mega on the team (or Lefties/Weakness Policy for BP), giving it some flexibility.

Terrakion ==> B+: Aegislash and Landorus-T existing makes its life super hard, forcing it to Earthquake for any shot of removing it. 108 Speed is also not too special - plenty of things outrun it and can destroy it. It's also a rock type that doesn't resist Flying, which is actually a big deal since Rock has a lot of annoying weaknesses and the Flying resist is a huge reason why you'd have a Rock type on your team.

Tyranitar ==> A-: One of the most versatile Pokemon in the game and does a solid job at checking birds. Its unique set of resistances and high bulk makes it an easy shove in to a lot of teams, and it can really run whatever it wants to cover up the team's issues. It does have a massive number of weaknesses unfortunately, although its massive special bulk does allow it to tank through a lot of them.

Slowbro ==> B+: It's one of the best answers to Blaziken in the game and also makes Swagkey cry thanks to Regenerator. Core Pokemon in a lot of stall teams and is also a fantastic pivot. Checks several high profile threats such as Salamence, Garchomp and Kangaskhan, although it may need to take care switching into them as it can be 2HKOed. That said however it's weak to most Special Attackers and it's also a pretty big Mega Gengar bait.

Mega Blaziken ==> A: See Blaziken pretty much

Mega Swampert ==> B-: Honestly regular Swampert is overall better. Mega Pert doesn't really do a whole lot of damage, isn't particularly bulky (especially with no recovery), and relies too heavily on Rain support to actually do much. And it takes your Mega slot

Mega Tyranitar ==> A-: Scary Dragon Dancer and is an even better bird check than regular TTar. Worth noting that TTar is one of the few DDers who can just straight up cut through Zapdos and Cresselia. It's also super bulky.

Mega Steelix ==> C-: Meh...

OTHER STUFF:

Mega Salamence ==> A+: Mega Mence is an interesting Pokemon. It's an offensive threat that's actually harder to wall in Ubers than in battlespot. Anyways this might be an unpopular opinion. While Salamence's bulk, speed, power, and STAB are top notch, it is still walled by the common walls (Cress/P2), runs into Zapdos and Rotom-W (to an extent) issues, and overall runs into residual damage issues. Basically, it's relatively simple to prepare for and it also doesn't have a variety of options to deal with its counters (look at how many ways Kangaskhan can cheese its counters). Don't get me wrong though, it's still a pretty metagame defining mon, but with all the Talonflames that ran around the metagame, everyone's already prepared dealing with birdspam so it's not really something new. Salamence's power is too focused on its flying STAB that chances are, as long as you resist flying and have decent physical bulk, you can handle Mence fine.

Mega Manectric ==> B+: Decent mon to have vs offensive teams since it usually has the coverage to hit most of them SE and has the speed to outrun so many things in the game (im looking at you Mega Gengar). Can break down a lot of offensive synergies such as Azumarill + Gengar and Salamence + Aegislash. Intimidate/Volt Switch is also pretty nice. That said however it's still a tad reliant on being able to hit things super effectively since its base damages are kinda low.

Starmie ==> B-: For the most part it's just outclassed by Greninja. It can use Rapid Spin which is kind of cute but most of the time you wish that Spin split is something else, especially since SR isn't -that- common.

Excuse me, rainman coming through.

Mega Swampert --> B/B-

With phenomenal coverage, natural bulk and two powerful STAB typings, Mega Swampert has the potential to breaststroke through the rain and sweep teams not prepared for the amphibian beast. Once it has rain setup for, or even after setting up its own rain, Swift Swim outspeeds a vast majority of teams sans boosts. However the issue is just that: it needs the rain to be effective. Using Rain Dance both takes up a much needed moveslot, and leaves you vulnerable to hit. The other option is the reliance on a rain setup partner such as Politoed- the definition of a B Rank Pokemon. Rain is easily stalled out of or replaced by another weather. Charizard Y especially can pin down Politoed and Swampert with Solar Beams. Whilst Swampert isn't bad by any means (He's amazing! Try him out!) you simply don't have the freedom to pick him in all of your games. It's a great Pokemon. Once you have support for it.

----> B+ Rank: Rotom-H is basically an inferior Rotom-W when trying to be defensive, due to Rotom-W's better defensive typing. But its own typing gives it some merits. For example, Rotom-H resists everything Talonflame throws at it, which Rotom-W cannot do. Rotom-W has the chance to take a lot of damage from Rindo Berry Natural Gift Talonflame, even though that set is really rare, but you never know on Battle Spot :) Also, Rotom-H also handles Togekiss better, resisting both of its STAB's. Rotom-H's Electric+Fire coverage is also superior to Rotom-W Electric+Water coverage, so Rotom-H often runs Scarf or Specs sets with more effectiveness. I feel like Rotom-H should be somewhat near Rotom-W's ranking, but not in the same ranking b/c of its two common weaknesses, Water and Rock. This is why I believe Rotom-H to be B+ rank at lowest.

----> B Rank: High Attack, nice ability in Mold Breaker and nice HP even when not invested. It can be sashed as a SR setter (That's what I run) or be Scarfed to take out pokes that are faster than it (looking at you Gengar). It can even run bulky sets with Assault Vest. It takes down Aegislash too, which is a nice bonus. The only thing that it suffers from are its common weaknesses, and decent speed if it isn't scarfed. I'd argue that my B ranking may be too low for it, but someone else can argue for it to be a higher rank if they wish.

----> B- Rank: Great abilities in Magic Guard and Overcoat, nice bulk and Special attack. Magic Guard allows it to set up on pokemon who rely on toxic damage, like P2 and Cress. Overcoat allows it to switch into any spore setter and beat them 1v1, like Breloom and Venusaur. It's a nice TR setter too, if you choose to make a TR team. It's weak to dark and ghost types, both of which are very common in this meta, which makes it deserve a B- Rank.

----> D+ Rank: One of my favorite pokes, but it's so bad in this meta. It doesn't really do anything of significance that another dark type or flying type can do, which perfectly fits the description of a D ranked pokemon. I think it deserves the + because Moxie is a great ability on it, and with its access to Sucker Punch, it's very difficult to take down after a Moxie Boost. It's also great at running as sashed set with Icy Wind, so it can usually outspeed the pokemon and finish it off with a Brave Bird. Other than that though, it's useless in Battle Spot Singles and deserves D rank, D+ at the most.

----> B+ Rank: Rotom-H is basically an inferior Rotom-W when trying to be defensive, due to Rotom-W's better defensive typing. But its own typing gives it some merits. For example, Rotom-H resists everything Talonflame throws at it, which Rotom-W cannot do. Rotom-W has the chance to take a lot of damage from Rindo Berry Natural Gift Talonflame, even though that set is really rare, but you never know on Battle Spot :) Also, Rotom-H also handles Togekiss better, resisting both of its STAB's. Rotom-H's Electric+Fire coverage is also superior to Rotom-W Electric+Water coverage, so Rotom-H often runs Scarf or Specs sets with more effectiveness. I feel like Rotom-H should be somewhat near Rotom-W's ranking, but not in the same ranking b/c of its two common weaknesses, Water and Rock. This is why I believe Rotom-H to be B+ rank at lowest.
I've been using Rotom-H in Battle Spot Singles and I agree with this ranking. Rotom-H is better than Wash against Zard Y, non-Azumarill fairies, Ferrothorn, and some other stuff, but of those things, Ferrothorn is the only one I've seen commonly, and I rarely rely on my Rotom to threaten Ferrothorn anyway. Two reasons to use -H over -W are Ferrothorn and Mega Mawile. You get Rotom-W-like support that switches into/fights Ferrothorn better; Rotom-W would switch into Leech Seed, burn Ferrothorn, and still get Power Whipped for 30% +12.5% leech seed each turn, while Overheat would just KO a Ferrothorn, and Rotom-H doesn't get blown up for switching into a Power Whip. Against Mawile, Bold max defense Rotom-H takes a max of 37% from Play Rough and OHKOs with Overheat without Sp.Atk investment.

But I felt Rotom-H's weaknesses (relative to Rotom-W) more than I appreciated its strengths. Without Thunder Wave, Mega Charizard X (which seems far more common than Y) is able to switch in and set up on Rotom-H since Rotom-H can't threaten to 2HKO without Rotom-W's Hydro Pump. Landorus-T and Garchomp are taking less of a risk switching into guessed Volt Switches, and have an easier time taking out/weakening a Rotom-H with Stone Edge. Azumarill becomes a big problem, with Waterfall and Aqua Jet hitting super effectively. Greninja OHKOs Rotom-H with Hydro Pump while Rotom-W can take a neutral hit (and even switch into one, with Sitrus Berry) and do some damage to Greninja with Volt Switch, getting a safe switch for something that checks Greninja. Heatran is pretty rare, but Rotom-W takes that on better than Rotom-H. And, importantly, Rotom-H's popular counterpart Rotom-W beats it 1v1.

Unlike Rotom-W, Rotom-H is immune to Will-o-Wisp, but I feel like "wearing down Rotom-W" is more relevant in Smogon's 6v6 rules than it is in 3v3 Battle Spot, since Battle Spot is faster. Plus, many burns come from Scald, which Rotom-H hates to take anyway. And most of the things that would Will-o-Wisp Rotom-W can beat Rotom-H (like Zard X and Rotom-W), so this isn't much of an advantage since you wouldn't switch into those things.

Finally, whenever Rotom-H Overheats, it loses a lot of its offensive presence, letting things that are normally afraid of it instead force it out or set up on it.

Feliburn

RU Leader
Big Update:
Code:
Mega Steelix: Unranked ----> D rank
Slowbro: Unranked ----> B+ rank
Rotom-Heat: Unranked ----> B+ rank
Tyranitar: Unranked ----> A- rank
Blaziken: Unranked ----> A rank
Terrakion: Unranked ----> B+ rank
Latios: Unranked ----> B- rank
Mega Blaziken: Unranked ----> A rank
Mega Swampert: Unranked ----> B rank
Mega Salamence: S rank -----> A+ rank
Mega Tyranitar: Unranked ----> A- rank
Mega Manectric: B rank ----> B+ rank
Starmie: B rank ----> B-rank
Excadrill: Unranked ----> B rank
Reuniclus: Unranked ----> B- rank
Honchkrow: Unranked ----> D+ rank
I was expecting hate comments from the Mega Salamence fanclub regarding it lowering to A+ rank but no objections were presented so there it goes.

Mega Gardevoir for B-
This thing is a complete powerhouse, and one of the few Fairy types out there that are actually FAST for once. Somewhat outclassed by Sylveon, and with stuff like Megagross, Greninja, and Mawile running all over the place, its hard to do something serious. But once Steel types have been eliminated, its pretty easy to just spam Hyper Voice and win. Also has a bunch of of other useful coverage moves, like Focus Miss Blast, Psychic STAB, Thunderbolt and Shadow Ball. While its sweeper side isn't as good as it used to be, it has a huge support movepool: WOW, Twave, Trick room (?), Destiny Bond, Shadow Sneak, Confuse Ray, and many more make it a valuable Mega that can not only dish out large amount of damage but can also provide support for teams. Very low physical bulk and having much trouble in a steel type Meta makes things difficult. However given a steel hate heavy team and/or speed control makes Gardevoir able to sweep out a lot of teams. Could go to C+

Also while its not big of a change id like to nominate Mega Gyarados for A, its absolutely amazing and after a single DD can wreck havoc on teams. Also, unlike Mega Salamence, it has no trouble breaking through Cresselia and cat be stopped by simple Ice Beams. Extremely bulky and can survive most hits. Same thing for Mega Tyranitar, since they literally both fit that description lol.

On Mega Mence topic I'm just fine with it moving down, really overrated honestly.

I have a suggestion about the thread itself. I think it'd be cool if we tried to organize things the way the doubles viability thread does things. Where each week they focus on one of the letters and nominate things to drop, rise, or just be actually added to the list for the early stage of this thread. Then everyone votes on what they think of each nomination.

I just think it's a lot more organized compared to everybody picking out mons and it's kind of all over the place. The idea of everyone voting is really cool I think too.

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet: Mega Venasuar, isnt it still viable? (- the fact we have Megamacne with its flying spam notheless), I think it could be in the B+ rank, anyone elts have a different thoughts

I mean it has great bulk + Sleep Power, it counters Rotom Wash, Azumarill of any viable set, Slowbro MEga and Non, and Charzard to a degree as well as most bulky offensive mons, but it can be tanked by really bulky mons like Ferrowthorn, Clefable, and Mega Sableye, and killed easy buy Talonflame and MegaMance, it however has a hard time chooseing HPs as it needs HP Rock to Kill TFlame and Charzs, but needs HP Fire for Ferrowthorn

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet: Mega Venasuar, isnt it still viable? (- the fact we have Megamacne with its flying spam notheless), I think it could be in the B+ rank, anyone elts have a different thoughts

I mean it has great bulk + Sleep Power, it counters Rotom Wash, Azumarill of any viable set, Slowbro MEga and Non, and Charzard to a degree as well as most bulky offensive mons, but it can be tanked by really bulky mons like Ferrowthorn, Clefable, and Mega Sableye
Mega Venusaur is pretty good, as long you keep it away from Birdspam. btw it actually beats Clefable due to Poison STAB and Ferrothorn with HP Fire. Not really sure on rank tho, only used it once in ORAS.

nvm just put it in S lol (jk)

Klefki ===> Rank B+

My thoughts: This set of keychains works as an excellent entry hazard user due to its ability Prankster. It has excellent Fairy / Steel typing giving it only weakness to Ground- and Fire-types. I do see Klefki as an amazing support user. Often leading the team with both Light Screen and Reflect with Light Clay attached giving other teammates the tools it needs to survive hits while setting up. Take Belly Drum Azumarill while Reflect and Light Screen are active. It also has access to T-wave slowing down fast attackers and Choice Scarf users. I'm just going to say this now but this thing can even act as a stat boosting pokemon using Iron Defense and Calm Mind as a gimmick due to having priority of Prankster making this thing a win condition (yes I tried it and its quite fun to use).

Mega Aggron ===> Rank B

My thoughts: Mega Aggron has excellent bulk in taking many hits due to its ability, Filter. Complemented with support moves, its able to set up Stealth Rock and phaze other threats with the move Dragon Tail allowing it to get off passive damage and breaking Sash users. It has access to Thunder-Wave slowing down fast and Choice Scarf users. Also this thing is quite heavy allowing it to deal a lot of damage with a STAB Heavy Slam. It also loses its rock typing losing its 2x weakness to Water-types along with 4x weakness against Fighting- and Ground-types as it gains more resistances.

Last edited:
I feel

Klefki ===> Rank B+

My thoughts: This set of keychains works as an excellent entry hazard user due to its ability Prankster. It has excellent Fairy / Steel typing giving it only weakness to Ground- and Fire-types. I do see Klefki as an amazing support user. Often leading the team with both Light Screen and Reflect with Light Clay attached giving other teammates the tools it needs to survive hits while setting up. Take Belly Drum Azumarill while Reflect and Light Screen are active. It also has access to T-wave slowing down fast attackers and Choice Scarf users. I'm just going to say this now but this thing can even act as a stat boosting pokemon using Iron Defense and Calm Mind as a gimmick due to having priority of Prankster making this thing a win condition (yes I tried it and its quite fun to use).

Mega Aggron ===> Rank B

My thoughts: Mega Aggron has excellent bulk in taking many hits due to its ability, Filter. Complemented with support moves, its able to set up Stealth Rock and phaze other threats with the move Dragon Tail allowing it to get off passive damage and breaking Sash users. It has access to Thunder-Wave slowing down fast and Choice Scarf users. Also this thing is quite heavy allowing it to deal a lot of damage with a STAB Heavy Slam. It also loses its rock typing losing its 2x weakness to Water-types along with 4x weakness against Fighting- and Ground-types as it gains more resistances.
I feel like b is maybe a bit high for mega aggron. There are many pokemon that just clean ohko it and outspeed it, and while it is a good counter for most physical mons (although i dont think it lasts long enough for dd char x), the opportunity cost is high cause there are more efficient megas.

I feel

I feel like b is maybe a bit high for mega aggron. There are many pokemon that just clean ohko it and outspeed it, and while it is a good counter for most physical mons (although i dont think it lasts long enough for dd char x), the opportunity cost is high cause there are more efficient megas.
Hmm I kind of disagree mainly for the fact because Mega Aggron still didn't change even after ORAS was released. I see no difference with its viability rank in X and Y compared to its performance now after playing with it for some time. Indeed I am aware that Mega Aggron is outsped by a lot of pokemon ( well pretty much the majority of Steel-types are slow overall so that shouldn't surprise you ). But then again, who would keep Mega Aggron on a threat that can potentially OHKO it? Also, there are still other options that further support Mega Aggron's movepool than the ones that I mentioned. So I'm still going to keep it at a solid B until play with it some more.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Latios : B- => B
This thing still hurts. Still a solid partner to most steels and is still one of the only few offensive things in the game that can check both rotom-w and garchomp combined.

Mandibuzz: A => A-
Doesn't really make sense how this is above Porygon2. It's not as good as a general wall than the likes of P2/Cress and doesn't have Zapdos' amazing resistances. Still, Ghost resist has its value (not against Mega Gengar since that'll just Wisp it and spam Sludge Bomb until it dies), and is one of the best Aegislash checks in the game. It's obviously not bad but its competition is kinda big.

Mega Slowbro : A+ => A
Pretty solid physical wall and potent set upper but it still cries to most special attacks and Mega Gengar kind of just trashes it. The fact Mega Slowbro isn't so overwhelmingly used over Slowbro should show that it's really not that much better, especially as it eats your mega slot.

Slowbro: B+ => A-
Continuing from above, sometimes you'll find that regular slowbro will fill your needs. It wont be bulky enough to counter Salamence for you, but it can still handle the likes of Blaziken and Talonflame, and can make use of Rocky Helmet to put immediate pressure on them. Mega Slowbro might be excellent at taking down the game's most powerful physical attackers, but regular Slowbro with Rocky Helmet can be downright oppressive to any physical attackers that cant deal >50% to it, and can also serve as a better pivot .

Garchomp: A => A+
Well uhh this mon has been #1 for quite some time now and it's not hard to see why. Garchomp generally always gets the job done - whether its setting up SR, revenge killing stuff, sweeping, or even dealing a considerable amount of residual damage. This is in part due to Garchomp's excellent offensive typing and practically flawless stats. Its 4x Ice weak is a big hole but otherwise Garchomp is a mon without clear weaknesses and lots of strengths.

Last edited:
Mega Gardevoir ==>B+
I feel Mega Gardevoir at least deserves a spot around B+ solely due to the fact that it hits hard common threats such as Rotom-Wash,Latios, and Thunderus and is bulky enough to take hits as well as its access to substitute. While it might not be the best up against Steel Pokemon Such as Metagross, it sure puts in work where it's needed. It has extremely high base 165 Sp.Attack to shatter dark pokemon such as sableye with ease as well as a high base 135 Special Defense to maintain itself against Special attackers such as Greninja and Thunderus. I like to pair up my Gardevoir with a substitute in the event of possible status inducing pokemon such as Slowbro toxic/t-wave and Rotom Will-o-Wisp. Nevertheless it has access to STAB moves such as Psyshock to deal with Venusaurs, and Hyper Voice boosted with its Pixilate ability(90x1.3=117) to take down pokemon such as Conkeldurr,Mandibuzz and mega Altaria. As well as Energy Ball/Shadow Ball/ and Focus Blast for a more diverse set. I personally found with the right plays, a Gardevoir behind a sub is ready to bait and take down even Scizors with access to hp fire.

I've Provided calcs against a Physically defensive Wash as well as calcs for ferro and Thunderus. This is derived from my Battlespots team and is a 180 Sp.Attack invested Modest Mega Gardevoir.
180+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 118-141 (75.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
#############

180+ SpA Mega Gardevoir Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ferrothorn: 156-184 (86.1 - 101.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
#############

180+ SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 212 HP / 96 SpD Thundurus: 135-159 (74.5 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
#############

Last edited:

Feliburn

RU Leader
Code:
Mega Gardevoir: Unranked ----> B+ rank
Mega Venusaur: Unranked ----> B rank
Klefki: Unranked ----> B+ rank
Mega Aggron: Unranked ----> B rank
Latios: B- rank ----> B rank
Mandibuzz: A rank ----> A- rank
Mega Slowbro: A+ rank ----> A rank
Slowbro: B+ rank ----> A- rank
Garchomp: A rank ----> A+ rank
Some other pokemon to take into account:
Latias
Mega Lucario
Cloyster
Mega Pinsir
Rhyperior
Heatran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)