Battle Spot Singles Viability Rankings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would probably hold off moving Mence down. I think something with that high defensive and offensive potential could probably do more than Dragon Dancing and suiciding to Double Edge recoil. As pointed out in the New Best thing, Sub/Toxic/Roost Salamence makes a lot of its checks cry and can still deal a lot of damage even without investment thanks to the sheer power of its flying STAB. Probably worth looking into.
Good point, I had forgotten to consider this set, but I still think P2 is a pretty big check to it (especially download p2). Maybe the reason it's not in top 10 usage is because p2 is so popular right now, but I don't know for sure. It's definitely a strong pokemon in general though.

Good point, I had forgotten to consider this set, but I still think P2 is a pretty big check to it (especially download p2). Maybe the reason it's not in top 10 usage is because p2 is so popular right now, but I don't know for sure. It's definitely a strong pokemon in general though.
I just encountered a mixed mega salamence with hyper voice and double edge. Got me completely of guard as i predicted it to be physical so switched to my avalugg. Then thought i would knew it was special but then it used double edge so my special wall was also ruined xd. That was not a nice experience, altough i could have koed back with avalugg cause he has focus sash.

Mixed/special seems to be popular at least around where I am in ranking because burn is everywhere to control kanga.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just encountered a mixed mega salamence with hyper voice and double edge. Got me completely of guard as i predicted it to be physical so switched to my avalugg. Then thought i would knew it was special but then it used double edge so my special wall was also ruined xd. That was not a nice experience, altough i could have koed back with avalugg cause he has focus sash.
Focus Sash Avalugg? You know he gets Sturdy, right?

Maybe he is utilizing Own Tempo to fuck over swagger players like that scrub NOVED n_n
Well my avalugg was used to be ice body with hail and rocky helmet, but then i tried the battle maison and lost to landorous at the final (50st) battle of super singles so i put a focus sash on it, but im going back to rocky helmet now cause for battlespot thats better for the physical mons. (Maybe i should get rid of ice body, but im too lazy to breed for just one change. Im gonna give my team a whole revamp though, ill show it on the rmt-thread soon.)

Extremely surprised no one has yet to mention this.
==> B+ rank: Feraligatr obtained the ability all thought he would never have released, Sheer Force. While there are a lot of things that may stop Feraligatr such as Azumarill, Rotom, and Ferrothorn, it's set up moves and ability just make it an extremely well sweeper. While setting up may seem like a challenge with a couple of walls that lurk around along with just threatening sweepers, with the correct investments, Feraligatr can live one hit from most non super effective hits. Being extremely strong and versatile is just some of its perks, other perks include it's great attack stat and decent base speed. (Enough to outspeed the likes of Garchomp/Mega-Salamence at +1 with full investment) It can handle most threats even being able to deal a lot of damage to those walls once he sets up!
+2 252+ Atk Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 60-71 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 72-85 (39.7 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 101-119 (49.2 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

Thus Feraligatr would make a perfect B+ in my opinion.

Extremely surprised no one has yet to mention this.
==> B+ rank: Feraligatr obtained the ability all thought he would never have released, Sheer Force. While there are a lot of things that may stop Feraligatr such as Azumarill, Rotom, and Ferrothorn, it's set up moves and ability just make it an extremely well sweeper. While setting up may seem like a challenge with a couple of walls that lurk around along with just threatening sweepers, with the correct investments, Feraligatr can live one hit from most non super effective hits. Being extremely strong and versatile is just some of its perks, other perks include it's great attack stat and decent base speed. (Enough to outspeed the likes of Garchomp/Mega-Salamence at +1 with full investment) It can handle most threats even being able to deal a lot of damage to those walls once he sets up!
+2 252+ Atk Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 60-71 (38.4 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Sheer Force Feraligatr Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 72-85 (39.7 - 46.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 101-119 (49.2 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

Thus Feraligatr would make a perfect B+ in my opinion.
I have never encountered a sheer force feraligatr in the time that it is released actually! And i battle a lot but that is why i do not have a clair opinion of that pokemon. Did you encounter it in battlespot or did you breed one for yourself?

I have never encountered a sheer force feraligatr in the time that it is released actually! And i battle a lot but that is why i do not have a clair opinion of that pokemon. Did you encounter it in battlespot or did you breed one for yourself?
I have both encountered and bred my own Sheer Force Feraligatr during my sporadic battling online ingame !

Mega Salamence: A+ Rank ---> A+ Rank

Mega Salamence is a Pokemon I've been using a lot recently, and I really do not feel that it should drop at all. Flying STAB is excellent, and Mega Salamence packs a very very powerful one in Aerilate Return. Defensively, Mega Salamence has a great typing and has excellent bulk all around. Factoring in Intimidate, Mega Salamence actually has roughly 95 / 210 bulk. That's pretty crazy! Dragon Dance variants just need one turn of set up and it is then very hard for the opponent to deal with Mega Salamence because it can't be revenge killed easily through both priority and revenge killing. Defensive sets also pack much interest, but I've yet to try it. I do not feel Mega Salamence should drop because, to put it in one word, it's excellent. I was even considering a bump to S Rank, because it's just so good, but I don't think that's quite feasible at the moment. Either way, don't drop Mega Salamence to A Rank, it's fine where it is right now.

Im gonna nominate

Volcarona B+ rank

It has great offensive capabilities with its fire bug STABs, has one of the best boosting moves in quiver dance, and can get hp back with giga drain. Its special offense is really high, And it speed is also good with base 100. It is frail ln the physical side and it is 4x weak against rocks, wich is a low point, cause a lot of pokemon run rock tomb on garchomp or breloom, and stealth rock is a common move.

I think it fits on the same level as other b+ moves, it works well against the common pokemon aegislash and fire is a really good offensive and defensive type at the moment imo.

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I've been using a Diggersby on one of my newer teams and I'd put it at perhaps a B- or C+ - it works flawlessly as an Aegislash counter as it fears nothing but Sacred Sword and maaaybe +2 Flash Cannon, and can OHKO the 252/0 spread with Earthquake. On top of that, it has all the perks that come with being a Ground-type attacker, including a positive matchup against Heatran, Raikou and Thundurus, type synergy with Flying-types that fear Rock moves like Talonflame and a Thunder Wave immunity. With ORAS, Diggersby improved a lot with the addition of a whole bunch of tutor moves, which expanded it's offensive movepool of Return, Earthquake, Quick Attack, U-Turn and perhaps Wild Charge to include Knock Off, Gunk Shot and the three elemental punches, allowing it to damage things like Gengar, Ferrothorn, Whimsicott and Garchomp that it couldn't really touch before. With these options available to it, Diggersby is able to perform a variety of offensive roles, including set-up offense with Agility, Swords Dance or both, or a Choice set using Scarf or Band. Like Azumarill, it's fellow Huge Power bunny, it can effectively utilise a Lum Berry All-Out Attacking set to beat SwagPlay mons as well as things like Gengar (if Knock Off), Landorus-T (if Ice Punch) and Mega Sableye (Lum Berry absorbs the Prankster WoW so that you can 2HKO with Earthquake). It has some failings though - mainly, it's that it's priority isn't enough to get it past things that completely smash it like Greninja unless it's boosted, and in some cases it can be disappointingly slow and frail. Normal/Ground typing is god-like offensive for both neutral and super-effective coverage but isn't exactly a blessing defensively, especially in a meta where things like Breloom, Suicune, Mega Lopunny and Mega Slowbro run amok. However, this thing is an absolute pimp and can do a lot of damage to a good amount of the meta so it's definitely worth a shot if you have a weakness to Steels.

----> C+/B- Rank: One of the star members of my current Battle Spot team. Infernape has a nice base 108 speed stat, trolling pokes that are underneath it's speed stat like Garchomp. Its physical and special stats of 104 make Infernape a very versatile mon, allowing it to run Physical, Special, or Mixed sets, making it extremely unpredictable. However, these sets are completely outclassed by Blaziken, who uses the sets better with its higher attack, special attack, and speed when boosted. Infernape does have its merits over blaziken, though. One of the merits is that not forced to run protect like Blaziken is, which may give the opponent a free chance to setup while Blaziken protects. Another merit is that it has the ability to check Mega Kangaskhan very well with its fighting type giving it a resistance to Khan's Sucker Punch, and it outspeeds it.Infernape also has Nasty Plot as a boosting move unlike Blaziken, but then you must resort to Focus Miss as a Fighting STAB, and good luck trying to hit with that often. The best merit that Infernape is the ability to use Stealth Rock. Personally, I feel like Infernape does best as a lead stealth rock user (that's the set I currently use) due to its moderately high offensive stats to take out other frail leads, and high speed to actually use Stealth Rock. Combined with Rock Tomb to slow pokemon down for others to clean up, and Focus Sash + Overheat + Blaze as a nice finisher, Infernape can be a very annoying lead to take down. Even though the flaming monkey has its perks, it has its flaws as well. With its ability to take out one of the most common pokemon in the meta (Mega Kangaskhan), it fails to take out the other common pokes like Garchomp (unless you pack HP Ice), Suicune, Talonflame, Cresselia, and there's probably more as well. As stated before, Infernape is pretty much outclassed as an attacker by a relatively common pokemon in Blaziken, practically making its only viable set as a Stealth Rock setter or a Nasty Plot user, but it will have to resort to using Focus Miss as a Fighting STAB. Infernape does not have the potential to be A or maybe B rank because of these cons, but it is a very solid poke that deserves to be C+ rank, B- at the most.

I'll nominate other pokemon later, I gotta test them out in the ingame ladder a tad bit more.

Thanks for the point you made freekhoorn, I totally forgot Blaziken existed in Battle Spot. Even though I faced one today ingame =/

Last edited:
Creeper3971 Apart from the move stealth rock, Infernape is outclassed by Blaziken, cause with protect speed boost its faster and he has also more attack and special attack. Can a pokemon that is outclassed like that be in B? Cause the description of B doesnt mention that it has competititon but the description of C does say that it has competition with other pokemons above it.

Okii, here's another list from all I been testing on alts. n.n

Before I get into the other Pokemon I recommend for viability, I'll take a step back a couple pages ago
Mega Steelix ==> C-: Meh...
Jibaku I actually agree with taking Mega Steelix up a notch to C- Rank (Maybe D+ if not C-).

My thoughts: Oh the ever so common Stealth Rock trick. Pretty much I followed what Hulavuta explained to me while I was doing my Mega Manectric analyses and took his advice into consideration. I decided to turn Mega Steelix into a luring suicidal Pokemon instead. I'll say that it walls many physical attackers with the exception of Garchomp and Landorus-T (Well, that actually depends on the circumstances for those two depending on the predicted switches and such). But anyway, I really forgot ho hard this thing hits against Fairy-types even OHKOing Mega Altaria and Mega Gardevior with Heavy Slam and sometimes getting rid of Clefable. Anyway, Mega Steelix can lure physical Pokemon into a trap. Usually, it would set up with Curse and then Explosion. This is rather crucial because it is very unpredicted and that it KOs any Pokemon the opponent tries to sweep with from boosted Curse or Curses. This clears the field of their sweepers and allows you to send in a sweeper of your own. It acts as a support pretty much. Also Roar can play a huge thing in luring physical Pokemon as well. Tbh I myself find Mega Steelix to be absolutely funny in Battle Spot Singles (pretty much I revived a Gen 2 set in other words with a little modification on the EVs).

Sylveon Unranked ==> C+

My Thoughts:
Sylveon isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I surely underestimated it when I saw how fairly common it is in Battle Spot. This ribbon Pokemon acts as a very nice Choice Specs user in getting rid of Dragon-, Dark-, Fighting-types off the field. I did try it out and I was obviously surprised with the results. With Pixilate- boosted Hyper Voice, it can OHKO many threats that are most commonly weak to Sylveon's STAB move. It can also 2HKO Pokemon with decent bulk and 3HKO bulky Pokemon. I do say it does have some nice coverage moves such as Shadow Ball, Psyshock, and Hidden Power Fire. Shadow Ball can deal with Ghost- and Psychic-types. Hidden Power Fire can deal with Steel-types such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Psyshock and can deal with Mega Gengar and other Poison-types. Outside from that Choice Specs Sylveon is more reliable over its standard cleric set.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Hydreigon: 1356-1600 (417.2 - 492.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Salamence: 612-720 (184.8 - 217.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO (without Naive nature) Even with the max Special Defense, it still gets OHKOed
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. +1 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Sableye: 330-390 (108.5 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 246-290 (80.9 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Garchomp: 714-840 (200 - 235.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Gallade: 494-584 (178.3 - 210.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO Even at max Special Defense it is still considered OHKOed.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 337-397 (92.5 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 337-397 (105.6 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Altaria: 390-462 (110.1 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 308-364 (95.3 - 112.6%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 256-302 (76.6 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 375-442 (137.8 - 162.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Sylveon Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 248-296 (70.4 - 84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hyper Voice
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power Fire
Wish
Protect
Calm Mind
Heal Bell
Toxic

I guess it could be useful as a Calm Mind user but the metagame is so fast and its physical bulk and Speed is meh, which holds it back from literally shinning. Although the calcs probably don't matter.

I have that information on Pinsir for you Feli.

Mega Pinsir Unrank to C+

My thoughts: I have to say, this was one of those Pokemon that was so hard to get a KO on a weaken foe before Mega Evolving. I kind of quit in trying to get a Moxie boost. It does have several shortcomings going for it as it faces competition with Mega Salamence because of the ability Aerilate. Of course Mega Salamence is dubbed superior over Mega Pinsir because it has more bulk, it isn't 4x weak to Stealth Rock or even Rock-type moves in general, and Speed along with Special Attack. Despite having better Attack than Mega Salamence and access to Swords Dance and Quick Attack priority which is boosted by Aerilate, Mega Salamence has the bulk to lierally set up Dragon Dance and get the Speed boost from it, outspeeding many threats. But I do say it has nice coverage moves in Earthquake and Close Combat. One more thing, Mega Pinsir, say hello to Talonflame for me please.

Mega Salamence
  • Better Speed at base 120.
  • Better physical bulk at a base 130 Defense.
  • Can also act as a special attacker, base 120.
  • Can be a mixed attacker as well.
  • Has access to Dragon Dance which boosts both Speed and Attack stat.
  • Less weaknesses than Mega Pinsir.
Mega Pinsir
  • Better Attack coming at a base 155.
  • Access to Swords Dance for more attacking power.
  • Access to priority move such as Quick Attack and can be used to KO weaken Pokemon to gain a Moxie boost.
  • Access to Close Combat as a check to Rock-, Steel-, Dark-, and Ice-types.[/hide]

Mienshao Unrank ===> Rank C

My Thoughts: Mienshao is pretty nice. Often breaking Focus Sash users with Fake Out. It can literally act as a check to Talonflame because it does run Stone Edge and Focus Sash. I guess you can also say that it can be a good Choice Scarf user in outspeeding and countering Normal-types such as Mega Lopunny and Mega Kangaskhan. It does also acts as a check to Greninja as well. It does have High Jump Kick which is further boosted by the ability Reckless. Mienshao hit pretty hard at +2 OHKOing a lot of Pokemon with Life Orb as its item probably causing a sweep. The main issues I have with Mienshao is friability and that its options of item choice leaves it with a cost.

Raikou Unrank ===> Rank B

My thoughts: Raikou, Raikou...I really adore you and you're such a cute kitty...back on track. I like Raikou. It does have a way of using defensive Pokemon as a set up fodder, which I like because when dealing with defensive Pokemon, they'll often times try to poison Raikou with Toxic or burn it. But because Raikou is so fast with a base 115 Speed, it can move first and use Substitute. It does seem to be a better option over Mega Manectric as well because it doesn't take up a mega slot, it has access to a stat boosting move such as Calm Mind, and it can hold items. Raikou can be a nice check to Dragon- and Ground-types because of Substitute and Hidden Power Ice.

Weavile Unrank ===> Rank B-

My thoughts: Weavile is pretty good in Battle Spot coming off with a base 125 Speed outspeeding many threats in the metagame. Even though it's frail it can be a counter to Dragon- and Ground-types such as Garchomp, Landours-T, and Hydregion. For the record, please run Icicle Crash over Ice Punch for more power and a chance to flinch your opponent. Knock Off can also be rather scary for Cresselia, Porygon2, and other defensive Pokemon along with Ghost-types. (2HKO on Cresselia). Ice Shard gives Weavile priority. Also I found Choice Scarf Weavile to be good as well. It has the move Low Kick that gives it coverage against Steel-, Rock-, Dark-, and Normal-types.

Scolipede Unrank ===> Rank C - C+ (Whatever you want to rank it)

My thoughts: Scolipede faces competition with Blaziken because of the ability Speed Boost to which Blaziken is more superior in. But Scolipede has a niche which is given Iron Defense. It can act as an excellent Baton Pass user in passing any stat boosts to its teammates. I did find Iron Defense useful because it allowed me to sweep even better with Mega Sableye from the +2 and a +2.5 from the Speed Boost with the assist from Protect. I recommend using Iron Defense for sweepers that are kind of bulky with access to recover moves. You can even send it to a physical attacker with the move Swords Dance. If you want Scolipede as an attacker besides Poison Jab and Megahorn, it has access to coverage moves such as Rock Slide and Earthquake. Pin Missile would also be nice because it breaks Substitute and Focus Sash users. Endeavor is nice as well if you're running Focus Sash. Only issues I have with it is meh...Defense and suffering from four moveslot syndrome.

Virizion Unrank ===> C+ Rank

My thoughts: Virizion acts the same way as Cobalion. The only difference is Virizion is specially defensive its Grass / Fighting typing, and a better Calm Mind user. It can sponge Dark-type attacks and get a boost from it because of its Fighting-type and get an increase in Attack if you want to run a physical set. Virizion can use defensive Pokemon to set up on with Substitute and Calm Mind and Substitute and Swords Dance. It can be a good check to Azumarill and a hard check to Landorus-T. That's just the beauty of it Virizion. Can be both a physical or special attacker, has some nice coverage moves such as Zen Headbutt and Stone Edge, and excellent Speed.

Porygon-Z Unrank ===> B- Rank

My thoughts: I often forgot about Porygon-Z because there's Porygon2 being able to take those physical and special attacks with Evloite attached to it. But I guess you can say that Porygon-Z is a huge powerhouse from its base 135 Special Attack. Porygon-Z has all-round coverage moves in targeting many threats such as Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, and Signal Beam. It has an ability in Adaptability which boosts its STAB Tri Attack move to +2, making it much harder to hit. Choice Scarf can be put on Porygon-Z so that it can outspeed the entire unboosted foes. I wish it got Boomburst, then I'll end up abusing the move

Staraptor Unrank ===> C+ Rank

My thoughts: Oh Staraptor, I always had a soft spot for you. You can actually act as a bulky support Pokemon with max Defense investment with Featherdance. This would allow one of its teammates to set up on the physical attacker. You also get Intimidate which allows you to take another hit or two from a threat. It also have coverage moves in checking Psychic-, Dark-, Steel-, and Rock-types with U-Turn and Close Combat. Staraptor can be used for Choice Scarf. I do recommend using it with Reckless because its STAB Double Edge and Brave Bird gets a boost.

I guess my long explanation of each of them was too much for Smogon to handle cause it accidentally crashed. So I shorted it this time. q.q

EDIT: Dismiss my explanation on Porygon-Z and Virizion. Just a bad post on my part. I should play Battle Spot in-game instead of PS. u.u

Last edited:
Backing up Lucina09, I'd like to support the rankings of Raikou and Sylveon. However, I feel Sylveon is actually more of a B Rank threat. Choice Specs is excellent, and when paired with Aegislash, it is a destructive force to face. It's a great Pokemon, and synergizes well with the common Steel- and Dragon-type Pokemon, and I've been using it on like all of my teams lol. Very good Pokemon.

For, sylveon I think there should be a bigger emphasis on Calm Mind rather than specs.

Calm Mind RestoChesto is the more common set. And after one Calm Mind, it's already more threatening than Specs with a SpDef boost and a form of recovery. And if you can manage to get more than one calm mind up you're going to be doing huge amounts of damage. I feel like it's deserving of B- or B.

Calm Mind RestoChesto is a pretty good set as well, but I don't think it's the *better* set, per say. Spamming Hyper Voice is just so excellent, can not taking that turn for Calm Mind is great as well. Both are good sets, but I don't think common will always equal better.

Okii, here's another list from all I been testing on alts. n.n

Virizion Unrank ===> C+ Rank

My thoughts: Virizion acts the same way as Cobalion. The only difference is Virizion is specially defensive its Grass / Fighting typing, and a better Calm Mind user. It can sponge Dark-type attacks and get a boost from it because of its Fighting-type and get an increase in Attack if you want to run a physical set. Virizion can use defensive Pokemon to set up on with Substitute and Calm Mind and Substitute and Swords Dance. It can be a good check to Azumarill and a hard check to Landorus-T. That's just the beauty of it Virizion. Can be both a physical or special attacker, has some nice coverage moves such as Zen Headbutt and Stone Edge, and excellent Speed.
First of all, I really hope you aren't basing most of the viability of these Pokemon from what you see on PS, as BS in-game is completely different to the BS you see on PS.
Unlike Cobalion, Virizion has much more threats in the meta to deal with,especially with the x4 to flying. With pokemon like Talonflame running around the meta it would be hard to let Virzion set up without getting OHKO'd in the end. Also it is weak to poison, pokemon like Mega-Gengar are able to trap Virizion in, out speed it, and deal notable damage. Pokemon such as Sylveon can use Hyper Voice to bypass any substitute it sets up. There are also a plethora of pokemon that can check/counter Azumarill and Landorus-T such as Rotom-W and Skarmory. It is walled by Megas such as Mega-Altaria, rendering it rather different than Coballion. It's severly outclassed, has no really nice niche since it's job can be done better by Coballion. It's notable flaw is that te typing can't help it much in this meta, unlike Breloom, Virizion has no Spore to give it a chance to set up or inflict damage, it's purely a set up pokemon that has one to many weaknesses to even get a chance to set up.

Porygon-Z Unrank ===> B- Rank

My thoughts: I often forgot about Porygon-Z because there's Porygon2 being able to take those physical and special attacks with Evloite attached to it. But I guess you can say that Porygon-Z is a huge powerhouse from its base 135 Special Attack. Porygon-Z has all-round coverage moves in targeting many threats such as Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Psychic, Thunderbolt, Shadow Ball, and Signal Beam. It has an ability in Adaptability which boosts its STAB Tri Attack move to +2, making it much harder to hit. Choice Scarf can be put on Porygon-Z so that it can outspeed the entire unboosted foes. I wish it got Boomburst, then I'll end up abusing the move
Too frail, i'd call this a glass canon if it wasn't that it could be easily walled by Aegislash, whom can live one hit and retaliate back with a Sacred Sword. It can lock itself into a move such as Tri-Attack and have a ghost type (which are actually very common ) have a free switch in. I feel like it has too much notable issues to be B- . Sure it has coverage moves, but honestly being choiced seems to be the one thing this pokemon cannot stand. Any priority move will leave this pokemon in fear of being revenged killed. Talonflame can OHKO Porygon-Z if it is choice banded. Thus only further For example, a Mach Punch from Breloom 2HKO's Porygon-Z and any other pokemon can pick it up from there. Most fighting type moves OHKO this mon, and with a measly base 90 speed, it's easily out sped. Yeah you can run scarf, but you are limited to one move which as I said, can evidently end up giving your opponent a free switch. It has adaptability with only one move that benefits from it, that is walled by most ghost types which are common ingame. (Mega-Gengar, Aegislash, etc.) Personally, I don't see it very fitting for B- rank.

Edit: Forgot to show the calcs.
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 152-180 (89.4 - 105.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 152-180 (95 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 163-193 (101.8 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Aegislash-Blade Sacred Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 128-152 (80 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Attacking wise:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 98-116 (58.6 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 110-130 (65.8 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:
First of all, I really hope you aren't basing most of the viability of these Pokemon from what you see on PS, as BS in-game is completely different to the BS you see on PS.
Unlike Cobalion, Virizion has much more threats in the meta to deal with,especially with the x4 to flying. With pokemon like Talonflame running around the meta it would be hard to let Virzion set up without getting OHKO'd in the end. Also it is weak to poison, pokemon like Mega-Gengar are able to trap Virizion in, out speed it, and deal notable damage. Pokemon such as Sylveon can use Hyper Voice to bypass any substitute it sets up. There are also a plethora of pokemon that can check/counter Azumarill and Landorus-T such as Rotom-W and Skarmory. It is walled by Megas such as Mega-Altaria, rendering it rather different than Coballion. It's severly outclassed, has no really nice niche since it's job can be done better by Coballion. It's notable flaw is that te typing can't help it much in this meta, unlike Breloom, Virizion has no Spore to give it a chance to set up or inflict damage, it's purely a set up pokemon that has one to many weaknesses to even get a chance to set up.
I'm quite aware that Virizion is 4x weak to Flying. Who would keep Virizion in on Talonflame? That wouldn't make sense tbh. But at the same time of course Pokemon such as Cobalion and Terra outclass Virizion because yes they do Virizion's job better. But in my own opinion, there's many other Pokemon that Virizion can handle besides the ones that you can mention above even though it is an example. Of course I do believe that you're correct considering I'll have to wait until my 3DS is fixed for me to play in-game Battle Spot. Then I'll test your opinion with some modifications of my own and see how well it'll turn out for Virizion from that point on and make a better judgement after playing. For the meantime, I have to rely on PS atm.

I have returned from playing a bunch of games on cartridge, and I'll post what I think after these games. It's mostly pokes already ranked and how they should be changed in ranking.

C ----> B-/B Rank: C for Serperior is a little low imo. Destroys any bulky water that comes in its path with Leaf Storm, and has the potential to clean teams once it receives a boost. Serperior can take advantage on bulky pokes in which it can take a hit from, which includes P2 and Cresselia. If you get a Sub up while they use a status move on you, you're golden. Unbelievable how many times I got a win off of setting up on Cresselia and P2, especially P2. Interesting fact: (It outspeeds high speed Mega Salamence High speed meaning adamant, etc.), so it can serve as a check to it if Serp has been boosted already or M-Mence has taken a bit of prior damage by using Dragon Pulse. However, the reason why Serp was considered C rank before was probably its fraility and lack of coverage. Leaf Storm/Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power Fire, Ground, Rock/Filler is all it has for moves if it's offensive, and those moves still lack the ability to hit some pokes neutrally, making it walled by pokes like Heatran if lacking HP Ground, Ferrothorn if lacking HP Fire, or MegaZard Y if lacking HP Rock. Serp can't take much hits at all either, so it relies on its speed to take out its opponents, and if it's outsped by a pokemon with at least a bit of offensive presence, bye Serperior. Still an underrated poke tbh.

B+ -----> A- Rank: This ranking upgrade may be a little odd, but I personally think that one of the top 12 pokemon used in Battle Spot Singles deserves to be somewhere in A rank. I've used this pokemon myself, and it is simply amazing. It has the bulk to take hits of Mega Salamence and retaliate with an Ice Beam to OHKO Mega Salamence after Double-Edge damage, which a majority of Mega Salamences run now. Scald can ruin pokes like M-Kanga if they happen to switch in at a bad time, or just try to set up on you. Speaking of which, it is a great user of Roar with its amazing bulk, not to mention that it can be an annoying move with Stealth Rocks up. Mirror Coat is amazing on it as well with the ability to take hits, OHKOing most special pokes that try to dent it. CroCune is great for bulky pokes that think they can win using status. Overall, it's a great bulky poke in general, arguably the best bulky water type in the metagame atm.

A ----> A+ Rank: Gengar is kinda scary to face. You don't really know if it's running a sash, LO to hurt pokes, spreading status around in its Mega Form, or even perish trapping Mega Gengar, thankfully that's getting less common (probably more common in high ladder tho). Gengar's unpredictability is the main factor that I think it should go up a ranking. That, and also HYPNOSIS. Hypnosis Gengar is becoming more of a thing now in the metagame, a majority of them holding Wide Lens (I saw about five yesterday in twenty games), and if that Hypnosis hits, and if you don't have something that resists Hex + Hypnosis well, your opponent will have the lead against you. Destiny Bond mindgames are luck-based and really annoying to get through, which can also create some serious problems in a match. Its typing is simply excellent as well, and it is basically something you can slap on a team and it will function well for the most part (that's what I've did.) This upgrade I may be a little iffy on, since Gengar is pretty frail and can be taken out with a faster pokemon with a somewhat strong move. BTW, the ranking should go up to its Mega Form, and possibly its regular form.

That's all I got for now. Will probably update on a few more pokes later on.

I agree with all of those.
I think Serp is pretty underrated as well and people give it more shit than it deserves. Glare can be really annoying to things that switch into it and taunt sets make serp really threatening to some defensive pokemon. Definitely deserving of B-.

This talk of Serp has made me realize that I want to see some ranking discussion for Moody Glalie. Serp runs SwagGlare and is its most common partner. I personally haven't used it so I don't know how good it is, but in battle vids it looks really scary.

Last edited:
Creeper3971 I couldnt agree more on all of your points and I would raise suicune even to A myself. It is better and more used than rotom-w at the moment because it has the ability to use calm mind and can often manage to use rest as a recovery move (against my team at least). I think this is because it has way more bulk, (twice the hp base stat and a bit more points in both its defenses!)

PPB About moody glalie im a bit doubting because I dont really have a problem with dealing it. You just have to keep giving offensive pressure, best whith a pokemon that resists ice like aegislash. Also sheer cold is not affected by accuracy boosts, as a lot of people always think. The OHKO moves dont work like that. Moody is also unreliable because you will never know what it raises and lowers and if you are a bit unlucky you will see that lowers its defense and you can break the subs more easily or ko it with a priority move or something like that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)