Battle Spot Special Season 1: Gen 6 Pokémon Only!

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So as some of you may know, Gen 6 has introduced us to Battle Spot, the much improved version of Gen 5's GBU. It's pretty much Gamefreak's official in cart ladder, that has becomed quite a bit more appealing thanks to breeding and soft reseting becoming less obtuse.

One of the most interesting things introduced in Battle Spot is the Special Ladder. This is a ladder where the rule set totally changes every 3 months. We haven't discussed this for almost a month, so I think it's about time we discuss this metagame, so we can start engaging the world in this competition on our copies of Pokémon X and Y!

THE BIG RULE THIS SEASON: Only Pokémon who were introduced in Pokémon X and Y are allowed! All Pokémon (including Mega Pokémon) introduced in previous gens are BANNED!

THE OTHER RULES

1. This season is a 3vs3 Singles Battle metagame. This means that you bring 6 Pokémon, but can only choose 3 of them to battle during team preview.

2. Item Clause is in effect. This means that no two Pokémon can hold the same item.

3. Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde are banned

4. Species Clause is still around.

5. OHKO, Evasion, Moody, and Sleep clause are NOT a thing in this metagame!

So, the first thing I gotta point out here: There are only 35 fully evolved Pokémon allowed in this metagame (and that's counting Gourgeist sizes too)! That's not a lot at all! To spark some discussion, here is the list of fully evolved Pokémon + Doublade, ordered by their Base Speed, so it's also a nice little speed tier list. Also, the links are to their research threads, so you can look up their other stats + movepool!

Talonflame - 126 Speed

Noivern - 123 Speed

Greninja - 122 Speed

Hawlucha - 118 Speed

Heliolisk - 109 Speed

Pyroar - 106 Speed

Delphox - 104 Speed

Mewostic - 104 Speed

Furfrou - 102 Speed

Dedenne - 101 Speed

Gourgeist (Small) - 99 Speed

Vivillon - 90 Speed

Gourgeist (Average) - 84 Speed

Goodra - 80 Speed

Diggersby - 78 Speed

Florges - 75 Speed

Klefki - 75 Speed

Malamar - 73 Speed

Slurpuff - 72 Speed

Tyrantrum - 71 Speed

Gourgeist (Large) - 69 Speed

Barbaracle - 68 Speed

Gogoat - 68 Speed

Chesnaught - 64 Speed

Ageislash - 60 Speed

Sylveon - 60 Speed

Clawitzer - 59 Speed

Aurorus - 58 Speed

Pangoro - 58 Speed

Trevenant - 56 Speed

Gourgeist (Huge) - 54 Speed

Carbink - 50 Speed

Dragalge - 44 Speed

Doublade - 35 Speed

Aromatisse - 29 Speed

Avalugg - 28 Speed

Is Doublade the only viable NFE in Gen 6?
I'm guessing so, but I thought I'd ask, since anything that expands your options in a metagame as small as this one can't hurt. Perhaps there's an eviolite user with some potential here, if not in OU.

(Also why is Zygarde banned gdi GF)

This is interesting. Especially with the weirder type distribution this gen. Only 1 bug type and it's Vivilion, 1 poison type with Dragalge and only 3 Normals, Heliolisk, Pyroar and Furfrou. But probably even more important are the 2 fighting types, Chesnaught and Pangoro, and the most powerful fighting move they have is hammer arm. Pretty significant for bulky fighting weak pokemon. Especially Furfrou.

ariariadne

formerly Reinfleche
I think it's worth talking about that Aegislash, while certainly no speed demon, currently outpseeds a significant portion of the uninvested metagame. This could lead to some awkward situations where it would move first and fail to deal the damage it would like to and get destroyed after making an attack. I'm not sure if it's standard from Aegislash to run -speed natures right now, but that could be worth serious consideration in this metagame.

Is Doublade the only viable NFE in Gen 6?
I'm guessing so, but I thought I'd ask, since anything that expands your options in a metagame as small as this one can't hurt. Perhaps there's an eviolite user with some potential here, if not in OU.

(Also why is Zygarde banned gdi GF)
Even with Eviolite, NFEs tend to not do well in the same tier as their evolved forms, aside from ones with their own advantages like Doublade.

Everyone will be using Aegislash, Greninja, and Talonflame.

Yeah, this is interesting. And you said the rules change every 3 months? So I'm wondering when they'll allow us to use all our 6 Pokemon lol. Having only 3 Pokemon to choose from really makes your choices more vital for best coverage possible. Also, I take it that entry hazards won't be as big of a thing in this kind of format, or do you guys see more potential usage?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Talonflame has a whopping 1 check: Tyrantrum. Which it can U-Turn out of to a counter, and Aegislash can be used for since it can handle it quite well... who is also a bit short on checks itself in the meta.

Basically teams are going to be reduced to:

Talonflame
Aegislash
Something to counter one of the above

Not exactly a balanced meta

Can we use previous gen pokemon that have mega evolutions? That would be a game changer, I think.
In any case, I think the pokemon that I might use include but are not limited to:
Goodra, Klefki, Barbaracle, Chestnaught, Trevenent, TalonFlame, Malamar, Clawitzer, and Dragalae.
Oh, and if it's only 3 pokemon, hyper-offense weather teams with their respective weather rocks might completely be viable.
I'd recommend having at least one pokemon that can check weather , even if you don't use it in your party, just in case.
I think Avalugg might be the only rapid spinner... (THE NINJA DOES NOT SPIN)

Talonflame has a whopping 1 check: Tyrantrum. Which it can U-Turn out of to a counter, and Aegislash can be used for since it can handle it quite well... who is also a bit short on checks itself in the meta.

Basically teams are going to be reduced to:

Talonflame
Aegislash
Something to counter one of the above

Not exactly a balanced meta
Wouldn't Barbaracle make a decent check to Talonflame, since he quad resists Fire and resists Flying, and has decent HP and Defense (if I recall correctly)? Still, having that few Pokemon to deal with the bird will make it annoying, but hey, that's what happens with limited Pokemon.

6v6 will never be a nintendo supported meta.

Its always going to be 3v3 wifi and 2v2 VGC.

But anyway:

Diggersby
Talonflame
Aegihype
Barbacle
(Maybe DD tyrantrum probably not)
Greninja

Will be the staples to plan around

Barbaracle can shell smash, right? It can do more than just counter Talonflame.
You can predict a switch and get a free shell smash, and hopefully sweep. Talonflame's overuse will be barbaracles rise.

All the mentions of Slash and Talon. Don't forget that Greninja will be all over the place as well. I've seen quite a few of them online from people who know what they're doing.

Greninja has no chance against Assualt Vest Goodra. None whatsoever. Its funny watching it tank ice beam, then delivering a crushing thunderbolt. It could possibly counter with protean spikes, but I haven't seen one do that yet.
Doesn't it make it any less viable, but I always have a goodra on hand. always.
My team
Barbaracle
Goodra
Trevenent
Sylveon
Klefki
I'm missing a defog user. Anybody know any good ones?

Last edited:
Aegislash can counter Aegislash, and possibly sweep. Its becomes fencing, and the games outcome can rely on it.
Normally I counter with mega aggron, but we can't use him. :(

Sounds like a boring as fuck meta given the dearth of new Pokémon.

I was going to point out how the fact that there's exactly zero spinners and defoggers available makes the meta a playground for spikespammer Klefki and toxic spiker Dragalge, but then again, it's only 3v3 so hazards really don't matter.

yeah I'm interested in this, if only for how it's SPECIAL and if I wanted to play a standard format type I'd just go on showdown. it's a pretty hilarious and dumb meta from what I've played of it, but honestly I need something narrow to get started learning how to handle metagames, which I've never really done. I'll be making a new team, most likely with talonflame and greninja, scarfed heliolisk to counter talonflame and greninja, possibly aegislash, and some other nice things. goodra maybe. klefki?

it would be nice to be able to test on a simulator before having to go through the whole process of breeding though. :(

Welp, I had a whole big post with numbers and everything set up, and then I accidentally navigated away from the page and lost it all.

The gist of it was, how about a Trick Room team of Gourgeist XL, Avalugg and Clawitzer? The latter can handle Talonflame and Aegislash pretty well (respectable bulk, Mega Launcher boosted super effectives against both), and Avalugg can do some serious physical damage with that attack stat.

rip your post :( (but isn't smogon's forum software really good with saving drafts?)

I'd like to try malamar with trick room, since its biggest weakness in this tier seems to be how everything outspeeds it and it's not quite bulky enough to handle that, where otherwise it might have a chance to get off a superpower or two, after which not much I can think of can stop it from sweeping with trick room up.

(holy shit my phone is on 4g? this is australia)

Oof, no Sleep Clause? That makes Vivillon @ Compoundeyes a SERIOUS threat. Something like Bug Buzz / Hurricane / Quiver Dance / Sleep Power could do some major sweeping by just spamming Sleep Powder and setting up Quiver Dances for free.

EDIT: Another possibility, Quiver Dance / Sleep Powder / Infestation / Dream Eater. @ Binding Band. That could do some serious damage.

Oof, no Sleep Clause? That makes Vivillon @ Compoundeyes a SERIOUS threat. Something like Bug Buzz / Hurricane / Quiver Dance / Sleep Power could do some major sweeping by just spamming Sleep Powder and setting up Quiver Dances for free.

EDIT: Another possibility, Quiver Dance / Sleep Powder / Infestation / Dream Eater. @ Binding Band. That could do some serious damage.
Doubt it'd get too far tbh. With Talonflame's priority Brave Bird/Acrobatics running around, it'll get smashed easily by one of the best 'mons in the meta.

Once their Talonflame is down, though, Vivillon has pretty much free reign. If you open with Tyrantrum, either a) they open with Talonflame, who cannot OHKO, and you get a free stone edge in or b) they don't open with Talonflame, you get up stealth rocks, and half of TF's HP is gone. The Sweeper Vivillon set could run a Sash, too, to survive a BBird/Acrobatics and then hit with Sleep in return, then set up and Hurricane TF in the face. I dunno, I think it's reasonably viable, though I admit that with the limited pool of 'mons, Talonflame will be very dominant.

i t reminds of RBY metagame, small pool, centralized threats.

Avalugg will probably end up OU, since it checks both talon flame and aegilash, also if it has sturdy on, it's an OHKO for goodra. Only problem is greninja.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)