Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

Oh, I've been working on a Doubles team, but so far all I have is core. But according to the OP that's all I really need! \o/

Metagross @ Mega Stone
Jolly, 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Clear Body (Tough Claws)

- Iron Head
- Protect
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Salamence @ Mega Stone
Naive, 20 Atk, 236 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Intimidate (Aerilate)

- Double-Edge
- Protect
- Hyper Voice / Earthquake
- Draco Meteor

Suicune @ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
Bold, 252 HP, 180 Def, 12 Sp. Atk, 4 Sp. Def, 60 Speed
Ability: Pressure

- Scald
- Tailwind
- Protect
- Icy Wind

Saw a guy running a nice double-mega core with Mence + Metagross that I wanted to try for Hoenn-hype. Metagross+Mence has been fine since Gen 3, and with Megas the basic idea is either Mega Mence + Non-Mega Metagross, or MegaGross and usually leave Mence behind. Mence could run a more physical spread + EQ to break Heatran, the one above is a standard MixMence spread to OHKO 252+ Amoonguss. Suicune dodges a 2HKO from Jolly Khan, with ~19% chance to get 2HKO'd from Adamant D-E. Speed outruns Jolly Garchomp and all things slower in one Icy Wind, and in Tailwind outruns even Timid max Speed Mega Aerodactyl/Alakazam and Scarf Modest Hydreigon.
It's also the obvious Speed Control mon. Might run Calm Mind over Protect but the lack of healing makes me question that. Metagross can function non-Mega, checking off Fairy / Mence / Landog for MegaMence, so that Suicune doesn't have too heavy of a list to handle. Mence doesn't do much non-Mega, just Intimidate and Draco. Could EQ against (BAN ME PLEASE) too.

There's a marked weakness to Thundurus, Mega Gardevoir (Garde+Amoonguss, Metagross threatens both but gets redircted and Spore'd), Mega Swampert teams are rare but I'm fucked. Oh, Char-Y forces me to run MegaMence too.
Have fun :P
that looks like a nice core, but wouldn't Snarl be better than Icy Wind on Suicune? I can see either working, but your two Megas are already fast, plus you have Tailwind on Suicune. Snarl would work really nice with Megamence, which has Intimidate pre mega but is kinda weak on the SpD side, so lowering foe's SpA is nice. Plus Suicune itself is weaker on the special side, as is Gross if you don't mega. Hope this suggestion helps or is at least worth considering:)

Thank you all for your suggestions in my last post, I am currently putting in some other things with my garchomp however, my last team slot is empty and I need a Sp Defensive pokemon. Anyone know of a good one? I have taken a brief look at a few but nothing much.

Thank you all for your suggestions in my last post, I am currently putting in some other things with my garchomp however, my last team slot is empty and I need a Sp Defensive pokemon. Anyone know of a good one? I have taken a brief look at a few but nothing much.
I use Heatran and it's awesome. Calm and Lefties is good. Idk your team so it may not work, like if you have a problem with mons who like ground moves.

I use Heatran and it's awesome. Calm and Lefties is good. Idk your team so it may not work, like if you have a problem with mons who like ground moves.
I would but I already have 2 pokemon dual type with ground, my team is
Garchomp
Rhyperior
Sableye
Charizard
Serperior

If I'm being brutally honest, you just need to play and learn.

You could spend a lot of time (far too much time in my case ¬__¬) creating a team but until you actually start playing with it regularly you're not going to understand your strengths and weaknesses. For now, just go with what you've got.

The more you play, even if you're losing, the more you should be learning. Make sure to go over any battle with the VS Recorder to fully understand WHY you lost.

Eventually you'll face a team that you just simply have to try as it demolished you. Then you'll try it and get demolished by something else, so you'll try that etc. That for me was how I got into battle spot singles and it really helps you improve overall as you start to understand more about the meta game.

slightly off tangent but I wish I could get into doubles. I just find it so daunting compared to singles! Suppose that'll be my next step :P

You could spend a lot of time (far too much time in my case ¬__¬) creating a team but until you actually start playing with it regularly you're not going to understand your strengths and weaknesses. For now, just go with what you've got.

The more you play, even if you're losing, the more you should be learning. Make sure to go over any battle with the VS Recorder to fully understand WHY you lost.

Eventually you'll face a team that you just simply have to try as it demolished you. Then you'll try it and get demolished by something else, so you'll try that etc. That for me was how I got into battle spot singles and it really helps you improve overall as you start to understand more about the meta game.

slightly off tangent but I wish I could get into doubles. I just find it so daunting compared to singles! Suppose that'll be my next step :P
I couldnt agree more about the double battles vs singles btw I try doubles but its just soooo crazy! Ill try singles for now :/

Doubles is my baby. I've got tons of resources on it. If you ever want to try it, I am the sultry ginger god you need. Sample teams, common mons / sets, speed tiers, crazy as fuck EVs, you name it.

Im breeding Ferrothorn for Battle Spot Singles based on the Smogon Analyses. What I want to know is if I go for a Relaxed/Sassy nature, do I also go for 0 Speed IV's? Or do I go for 31 IV's even with a negative Speed nature? I have the same exact question for Relaxed/Sassy Hippowdon as well. Also, I saw this work-in-progress Smogon Analysis for Charizard, and am wondering how current it is. Im particularly interested in the moveset for the Charizard-Y build, as I would like a reference for a Timid Charizard.

Im breeding Ferrothorn for Battle Spot Singles based on the Smogon Analyses. What I want to know is if I go for a Relaxed/Sassy nature, do I also go for 0 Speed IV's? Or do I go for 31 IV's even with a negative Speed nature? I have the same exact question for Relaxed/Sassy Hippowdon as well. Also, I saw this work-in-progress Smogon Analysis for Charizard, and am wondering how current it is. Im particularly interested in the moveset for the Charizard-Y build, as I would like a reference for a Timid Charizard.
Ferro wants a 0 Spe IV for Gyro Ball. If you're not using Gyro Ball then you shouldn't even have a -Spe nature. Hippo only wants low Spe to under speed min Spe Aegi, so use the highest Spe IV that still lets you do that.

Ok thanks! And what about this Charizard Y build from that link I posted? The nature and EV's look fine, but Im wondering if this is the optimal moveset?

[SET]
name: Drought Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Solarbeam
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Air Slash / Overheat / HP Ice
item: Charizardite Y
ability: Blaze
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Ok thanks! And what about this Charizard Y build from that link I posted? The nature and EV's look fine, but Im wondering if this is the optimal moveset?

[SET]
name: Drought Attacker
move 1: Fire Blast
move 2: Solarbeam
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Air Slash / Overheat / HP Ice
item: Charizardite Y
ability: Blaze
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Lots of moves can work, but I think those are ok. I'd maybe forget about a secondary fire STAB and just have Overheat, or maybe Flamethrower instead of Fire Blast. Solarbeam is pretty much a given, and Focus Miss is decent enough, though it could be replaced with WoW or even Roost.

If you run Gyro Ball, use a -Speed nature and 0 IVs.
If you are not running Gyro Ball, it doesn't matter much on Impish vs Relaxed, etc.
If you are using Paralysis at all, run Impish/Careful with 12 Speed; outruns Paralzyed, max Speed 100 mons like Jolly Khan / Char-X, and Timid Char-Y. Iron Head makes a solid and reliable Steel STAB.

Char-Y, Fire Blast / Solarbeam / Focus Blast is a bit unreliable because accuracy, but hits hard. For the love of Talos do not run Air Slash, it adds almost no coverage and the power is awful. Math:

Resisted Fire Blast: Base Power * STAB * Sun * Resist
110 * 1.5 *1.5 * 0.5 = 123 power

Air Slash = Base Power * STAB
75*1.5= 112 power

Resists Fire and is weak to Flying: Hariyama, Poliwrath*, Blaziken/Infernape/Emboar.
* Also demolished by Solarbeam

Why in all of fuck Air Slash is even on that set (or any set, for that matter), I do not know.
Basic singles Char-Y setup would be:

Charizard @ Charizardite-Y
Timid, 4 Def, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Blaze (Drought)

- Primary Fire STABspam (Heat Wave in Doubles/Triples, Fire Blast in Singles/Rotations)
- Focus Blast (cuz fuck TTar and Heatran)
- Solarbeam (Because Char-Y)
- Secondary Fire STAB for utility (Flamethrower for not missing, Overheat for nuke) or coverage move (Ancientpower, HP Ice)

4th slot can vary and include stuff like WoW, EQ, Roost, or Flame Charge, but generally it's a secondary Fire move or team specific coverage. Ancientpower hits Talonflame switchins, and Fire / Flying mons like Gyarados, Mence, or Rotom-H. HP Ice annihilates Garchomp and other 4x weaknesses. Neutral Fire Blast hits Hippowdon harder than HP Ice even in Sand.

If you run Gyro Ball, use a -Speed nature and 0 IVs.
If you are not running Gyro Ball, it doesn't matter much on Impish vs Relaxed, etc.
If you are using Paralysis at all, run Impish/Careful with 12 Speed; outruns Paralzyed, max Speed 100 mons like Jolly Khan / Char-X, and Timid Char-Y. Iron Head makes a solid and reliable Steel STAB.

Char-Y, Fire Blast / Solarbeam / Focus Blast is a bit unreliable because accuracy, but hits hard. For the love of Talos do not run Air Slash, it adds almost no coverage and the power is awful. Math:

Resisted Fire Blast: Base Power * STAB * Sun * Resist
110 * 1.5 *1.5 * 0.5 = 123 power

Air Slash = Base Power * STAB
75*1.5= 112 power

Resists Fire and is weak to Flying: Hariyama, Poliwrath*, Blaziken/Infernape/Emboar.
* Also demolished by Solarbeam

Why in all of fuck Air Slash is even on that set (or any set, for that matter), I do not know.
Basic singles Char-Y setup would be:

Charizard @ Charizardite-Y
Timid, 4 Def, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
Ability: Blaze (Drought)

- Primary Fire STABspam (Heat Wave in Doubles/Triples, Fire Blast in Singles/Rotations)
- Focus Blast (cuz fuck TTar and Heatran)
- Solarbeam (Because Char-Y)
- Secondary Fire STAB for utility (Flamethrower for not missing, Overheat for nuke) or coverage move (Ancientpower, HP Ice)

4th slot can vary and include stuff like WoW, EQ, Roost, or Flame Charge, but generally it's a secondary Fire move or team specific coverage. Ancientpower hits Talonflame switchins, and Fire / Flying mons like Gyarados, Mence, or Rotom-H. HP Ice annihilates Garchomp and other 4x weaknesses. Neutral Fire Blast hits Hippowdon harder than HP Ice even in Sand.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for in how to build Char-Y, where to slash moves, and what to consider for coverage and utility. And what do you think of the Sword Dance, Dragon Dance, and Bulky-Wisp Mega Char-X sets that were also listed here? This Smogon Analysis post was made back in September and is a rough draft. It looks good to me, but Im too new to realize if something is off on any of the sets or not. Also, I checked Battle Spot Singles Stats and saw that Substitute had 13% usage on Charizard, but none of the four sets mentioned it, and want to know if thats an oversight or just bad teambuilding, since Air Slash is also listed as 7% usage on Charizard.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for in how to build Char-Y, where to slash moves, and what to consider for coverage and utility. And what do you think of the Sword Dance, Dragon Dance, and Bulky-Wisp Mega Char-X sets that were also listed here? This Smogon Analysis post was made back in September and is a rough draft. It looks good to me, but Im too new to realize if something is off on any of the sets or not. Also, I checked Battle Spot Singles Stats and saw that Substitute had 13% usage on Charizard, but none of the four sets mentioned it, and want to know if thats an oversight or just bad teambuilding, since Air Slash is also listed as 7% usage on Charizard.
Charizard's PGL stats are a bit messy, as it includes moves/items used by Charizard-Y, Charizard-X, and regular Charizard all in one group; PGL doesn't segregate base form and Mega form(s).
So, 13% of /all/ Charizard sets used Sub: they could of been X or Y.
Zard-X I haven't used yet, despite wanting a Dragon/Fire type since idk, Gen 2? I'm pretty much addicted to Char-Y, is the only reason I haven't used X. :P
That said I'm not on Singles very often and never used Char-X, so I couldn't tell you much about which sets work. Swords Dance I imagine would be a wallbreaker set (because fuck tanking a +2 Tough Claws STAB Flare Blitz), Dragon Dance could run either offensive or bulky like pretty much any DDancer mon like Mence, Gyarados, Dragonite, etc. Bulky Char-X I guess aims to cripple switchins like TTar and Rocky Helmet Cress / Hippowdon. So I'd assume you'd run whichever build you'd want to support.

Char X is good and I used it a lot wen I first started doing Rating Battles in X. I think both SD and DD are good, but I don't think you should run the, together. If you're using SD you want Flame Charge over DD, I think, since you already have a way to boost your Atk so you just need the Spe, hence a decently strong Fire STAB without recoil to boost it.

Substitute works on most stuff, so it isn't really a surprise to see it on a decent percent of Zard even tho it has better things to run. Blocking status and stuff is nice, but situuational compared to extra coverage(for Y,) or a set up move or Wisp(for X.)

Hi! I'm a little new at team building and I understand Pangoro isn't really a defensive Pokemon, but his attack can be monstrous when it hits and mine has a pretty good move set. And he is my favorite Pokemon. So far my team consists of:

Pangoro: 252 Atk/ 252 Def
Held item: Life orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: iron fists
Moves: superpower, knockoff, ice punch, gunk shot

Slowbro: 252 def/ 252 hp
Held item: slowbronite
Nature: bold
Ability: regenerator/ shell def
Moves: scald, slack off, ice beam, fire blast

Jellicent: 252 hp/ 252 Sp.Def
Held item: safety goggles
Nature: calm
Ability: cursed body
Moves: will o wisp, water spout, recover, trick room

Sylveon: 252 Sp. Atk/252 HP
Held item: pixie plate
Nature: modest
Ability: pixilate
Moves: HP ground, hyper voice, calm mind, protect

I would love to keep sylveon and Pangoro in my team when setting up and I know slowbro and jellicent make an excellent doubles team. I'm open to any suggestions from experts though on how to make my team better.^.^

Hi! I'm a little new at team building and I understand Pangoro isn't really a defensive Pokemon, but his attack can be monstrous when it hits and mine has a pretty good move set. And he is my favorite Pokemon. So far my team consists of:

Pangoro: 252 Atk/ 252 Def
Held item: Life orb
Nature: Adamant
Ability: iron fists
Moves: superpower, knockoff, ice punch, gunk shot

Slowbro: 252 def/ 252 hp
Held item: slowbronite
Nature: bold
Ability: regenerator/ shell def
Moves: scald, slack off, ice beam, fire blast

Jellicent: 252 hp/ 252 Sp.Def
Held item: safety goggles
Nature: calm
Ability: cursed body
Moves: will o wisp, water spout, recover, trick room

Sylveon: 252 Sp. Atk/252 HP
Held item: pixie plate
Nature: modest
Ability: pixilate
Moves: HP ground, hyper voice, calm mind, protect

I would love to keep sylveon and Pangoro in my team when setting up and I know slowbro and jellicent make an excellent doubles team. I'm open to any suggestions from experts though on how to make my team better.^.^
Well, first off there's the issue of EVs. Pangiro in particular probably wants some HP EVs, instead all the defensive EVs going in Def. you also might want some Spe for a benchmark.

I think your Slowbro should have a status move or CM if it's gonna be Bold.

Jellicent definitely shouldn't hold Safety Goggles. The main point to them is blocking Spore, but Breloom kills it with Bullet Seed anyways so that doesn't help. Water Absorb is also the better ability.

Sylveon looks mostly ok, except you don't want Protect if this is Singles. If it is doubles/ triples, you want a different mega cause Slowbro ain't good there.

Well, first off there's the issue of EVs. Pangiro in particular probably wants some HP EVs, instead all the defensive EVs going in Def. you also might want some Spe for a benchmark.

I think your Slowbro should have a status move or CM if it's gonna be Bold.

Jellicent definitely shouldn't hold Safety Goggles. The main point to them is blocking Spore, but Breloom kills it with Bullet Seed anyways so that doesn't help. Water Absorb is also the better ability.

Sylveon looks mostly ok, except you don't want Protect if this is Singles. If it is doubles/ triples, you want a different mega cause Slowbro ain't good there.
Sorry but water absorb is not the better ability. 90% of jellicent run cursed body according to the stats. It can be very useful cause its so bulky and has good recovery.

Hi everyone. I'm trying to make a team focused on Mega-Blaziken, Rotom-W and Ferrothorn, but I am kind of lost on what to add to the team next. I've been running with Greninja and Aegislash but have not been much effective. What are your recommendations?

Sorry but water absorb is not the better ability. 90% of jellicent run cursed body according to the stats. It can be very useful cause its so bulky and has good recovery.
This is surprising to me, but I guess water moves just aren't common enough. I was thinking mainly tor Suicune since some only have Scald for an attack, and those that don't will just have Ice Beam, which Jellicent can easily take, tho I guess Jellcent won't do much back.

Hi everyone. I'm trying to make a team focused on Mega-Blaziken, Rotom-W and Ferrothorn, but I am kind of lost on what to add to the team next. I've been running with Greninja and Aegislash but have not been much effective. What are your recommendations?
What are the sets of your pokemon? I see that you have yourself a nice fire water grass core which is a great defensive core. In terms of popular threats, talonflame can beat both ferrothorn and blaziken. A switchin for ghost moves from gengar and aegislash would be fine too, so maybe a dark type or a normal type would be a benefit for your team. Btw, not that common, but volcarona can be a threat too cause it has hp ground sometimes for blaziken and giga drain for rotom. Maybe a rock pokemon or a pokemon with a rock move would be nice.

What are the sets of your pokemon? I see that you have yourself a nice fire water grass core which is a great defensive core. In terms of popular threats, talonflame can beat both ferrothorn and blaziken. A switchin for ghost moves from gengar and aegislash would be fine too, so maybe a dark type or a normal type would be a benefit for your team. Btw, not that common, but volcarona can be a threat too cause it has hp ground sometimes for blaziken and giga drain for rotom. Maybe a rock pokemon or a pokemon with a rock move would be nice.
Blaziken:
Flare Blitz
Hi Jump Kick
Knock Off
Protect
EV: 252 Atk, 4 Def, 252 Spe
Adamant

Ferrothorn
Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock
EV: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Nature: Sassy
Item: Rock Helmet

Rotom-W
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-o-Wisp
Rest
EV: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SpD
Nature: Bold
Item: Chesto Berry

For Talonflame I usasly go with Rotom-W, as it can take anything talonflame throws at it and kill it with hydro pump or volt switch after stealth rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)